Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm watching Escaflowne and Millerna isn't by any means among the best princesses, but I appreciate her. I haven't seen her actions post-knowing Allen's secret but atm she's outspoken and a surgeon, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCinos
Dec 20, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHZqxecCukg

Surprised nobody mentioned her yet.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I'm a vegetarian, gently caress you dad, I think I'm probably black

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Anthy's name has princess in it, so of course she's a good princess.

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
death to all tyrants

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Re-establish the Monarchy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I wanted to be the first to say "it's me" :qq:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The best prince(ss).

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Seriously though, it's Kushana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRLO-w3nX-4

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Those are very attractive eyebrows. :tipshat:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, i think she's got us there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Is having magnificent eyebrows one of the necessary qualities possessed by an excellent princess?

dogsicle posted:

I'm watching Escaflowne and Millerna isn't by any means among the best princesses, but I appreciate her. I haven't seen her actions post-knowing Allen's secret but atm she's outspoken and a surgeon, which is cool.

My favorite Millerna moment was in one of the early episodes where she, clearly being aware of Hitomi's feelings towards Allen, embraces him and then cattishly looks over her shoulder at Hitomi. What an amazing, bitchy move!

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 3, 2015

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Is having magnificent eyebrows one of the necessary qualities possessed by an excellent princess?

No but it helps

A face only a mother could love.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I like badass anime princesses as much as anyone but you don't need to wreck fools all the time to be cool imo

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Marie Antoinette-sama, of course.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I like badass anime princesses as much as anyone but you don't need to wreck fools all the time to be cool imo

ghibli kaguya is alright, but touhou kaguya is one of the worst touhous

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm surprised Princess Anna from King Gainer hasn't come up in conversation yet, considering she got a fair bit of love in the Clawshrimpy Watch thread. She's not the best princess, but she's up there for me at least given that she's not only never really useless or in the way, but actively useful quite a lot of the time and always has a nice, upbeat attitude to share around. She just wants to go on fun adventures and I like that.

DrSunshine posted:

Well, for one thing she's not just there to sit around and look winsome! In fact, she's an awesome active character who starts out as your typical sort of naive idol-like princess and gradually learns about the real-world consequences of her idealistic plan to resettle the Moonrace on Earth. Next, she's not afraid to order the death sentence on unruly subjects like Corin Nander. She's got steel in her! Finally, it's hilarious how quick she is to grab the nearest gun or rifle and try to shoot someone, even if they're riding in a dozens of meters-tall mecha!

I'm gonna second Dianna from Turn-A though as my personal favorite. I thought Kihel was the better character, though not the more enjoyable one after my initial watch of the show but the more I learned about Dianna from re-watching, side materials or chatting to other folks about the show the more I've come to revise that opinion. She starts out the show as someone worn down by a life of servitude where she spends the majority of the time frozen, only to be thawed when her government feel she's needed as a figurehead to placate the masses or help inspire folks. She's been doing it for years of her own life and probably at least a few hundred, if not more likely over a thousand years in the more literal sense. She knows that her subjects are all prey to the same lovely life-cycle, and cannot live normal lives because the Moon just cannot support them all at once and so they need to be cryofrozen for years at a time in a population rotation.

Yea, she has some naivety when she first comes to Earth, but to me she comes off as someone who is really more desperate than anything. She knows the Moonrace have to return to Earth at some point and wants to get it done as soon as possible so that they can actually return to a normal life, rather than having to make do with a simulacrum on the Moon. And then she meets her exact twin, and grasps at this fleeting chance to see what others see when they look at her and more importantly, have fun for the first time in what is quite possibly centuries (since she was last on Earth most likely). So she grabs it, and it turns out to be a horrible mistake because she can't switch back. Or not a mistake, because poo poo, it's actually working out okay and she's getting to live a little and remember what she's protecting in the first place and man Earth is great, why can't everyone live here in peace?

The sheer joy she takes in some of the small things she gets to do, like riding a bicycle down a mountain or farming and so on is a pleasure to watch. As is the degree to which she takes to the chance to be someone, anyone, other than the political pawn she's used to being. She's also the center of many of the show's better or more iconic moments, helping out in the war hospital, the Turn-A washing machine and so on. Then when she's drawn back in to politics again she doesn't bemoan her fate or act like a martyr or anything, she just gets on with it because she knows loving around could lead to far worse consequences. She threatens Corin with a rifle when he's in a 20 odd meter tall mech, she lets herself be used as a hostage by people who may just up and kill her, she gives orders without waffling on their consequence or morality, she forgives people who betray her because she understands their base greed but also understands that the needs of the situation are more important than that - and that giving in to those desires doesn't make a person bad or unforgivable. She's a highly idealized princess, but gently caress if I care, she's still the best one.

One could make a fair argument that she and/or Kihel are the true main character of the show, because while Loran pilots the giant robot he doesn't really make much in the way of decisions or grow at all as a character, which is all on Dianna. She's the one pushing the story most of the time. Lily Borjarno is also a great Turn-A princess by the way, and unlikely to be brought up so I'll mention her. She rules if, for nothing else, the sick burn she gets in on Guin at the end of the show: telling him to put on a dress if he really wants Loran that badly, and then, when he replies that society isn't ready for a ruler in a dress, replying that he can do whatever, she'll be off ruling Ameria in her dress. She's a pretty great character all round though, at turns kind of vindictive (tricking Dianna in to working at the war hospital because she was jealous of her) and childish (wanting to help Guin out of infatuation and seeing doing so as a kind of spy game), she displays maturity and perception when it's called for. She spends the majority of the series helping Guin because she admires his ambition, but once he crosses the line she rationalizes why he did and puts it in perspective without getting overly emotional and then helps stop him, because her infatuation doesn't preclude her from duty or common sense.

Turn-A had some great characters.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 4, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a tremendous amount of words to post in the PYF Anime Princess thread

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can respect that kind of dedication.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

That's a tremendous amount of words to post in the PYF Anime Princess thread

I'm not familiar with PYF threads I suppose, but hey, it's not like it took me long to write so no real loss. I'll let ya'll get back to the expected comedy I apparently missed being the point of the thread now so.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its okay :)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tsob posted:

I'm not familiar with PYF threads I suppose, but hey, it's not like it took me long to write so no real loss. I'll let ya'll get back to the expected comedy I apparently missed being the point of the thread now so.

Please don't take it the wrong way. Post whatever makes you happy

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

No, Tsob, I really really liked reading that analysis, it definitely helped put my own thoughts into order about Dianna. Thanks a lot!! I've only watched Turn-A once, and that post is inspiring me to watch it again to pick up the various nuances. I think the first time around, I didn't really think too hard about the characters because I was more interested in understanding what was going on and what the main plot threads were -- it was my very first Tomino show after all -- but the second time around, I'll pay more attention to Dianna and her evolution.

Thanks for reminding me about Lily Borjano, too. It struck me as amusing that she just sort of tagged along as they went into space and did all this awesome war stuff, she seemed to just be hanging with them because she was honestly enjoying it for the sheer thrill. I can respect that! Also there was this hilarious scene where she was just drinking hot cocoa and laughing because she enjoyed it, and that was great!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think there's room for excellent posts like tsob's in this thread, and it's strange to make fun of someone for posting from the heart.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DrSunshine posted:

No, Tsob, I really really liked reading that analysis, it definitely helped put my own thoughts into order about Dianna. Thanks a lot!! I've only watched Turn-A once, and that post is inspiring me to watch it again to pick up the various nuances. I think the first time around, I didn't really think too hard about the characters because I was more interested in understanding what was going on and what the main plot threads were -- it was my very first Tomino show after all -- but the second time around, I'll pay more attention to Dianna and her evolution.

A lot of it is only in incidental details shown or mentioned in passing within the anime, but apparently expounded upon more in the various manga and novel adaptations that were released. There's enough there to think that Tomino probably created and intended those elements for the show, but it's never shown in any kind of detail. Which is kind of sad really since, much as I love Turn-A as is, some more insight in to the state of life on the Moon would have been pretty cool. It's very possible that I'm reading in to the show stuff that Tomino hadn't worked out yet or never intended and that Dianna asking Kihel to dress up as her really is meant to be more naive than desperation or isolation, but when viewed with the idea that she is nothing but a pawn Gym, Agrippa and possibly others on the Moon use to keep the people happy it definitely changes my view of what pushed her to do so at least.

I cannot, for instance, recall for definite anyone in the show stating that Dianna is mostly a figurehead. There's some pretty good circumstantial evidence in the way Agrippa and Gym treat her, the fact that even some members of the militia are happy to disobey her without really thinking about it too much and so on, but perhaps that wasn't intended and is simply something another person decided to use in manga adaptations.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think there's room for excellent posts like tsob's in this thread, and it's strange to make fun of someone for posting from the heart.

I don't believe anyone did actually make fun of me for it, more just that they were surprised at seeing an effort post.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like both short and long posting.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Arslan

Or Yona.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

?

stealth edit: I mean how many other ducks become princesses?????

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Is Princess Tutu's dub any good? I've only seen it in Japanese, and I was looking to get a copy for my niece to watch.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DrSunshine posted:

Thanks for reminding me about Lily Borjano, too. It struck me as amusing that she just sort of tagged along as they went into space and did all this awesome war stuff, she seemed to just be hanging with them because she was honestly enjoying it for the sheer thrill. I can respect that! Also there was this hilarious scene where she was just drinking hot cocoa and laughing because she enjoyed it, and that was great!

Lily also gets the best line in the show at the end.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Seconding Lum for best princess.

Also,

The_Frag_Man posted:

A face only a mother could love.

:drat:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

What's the best, strongest, and loveliest song about a princess? It's the Love Hime theme of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGIw5kjcWQ

Singing it really helps me when I'm biking to work and I have to go over a hill! It'll give you lots of energy and reassurance that things will be okay! :D

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Kiryuuin Satsuki. She is a formidable force of will whose radiance inspires those around her.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
That indian girl from love hina

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I'm pretty sure the pri stands for princess??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

I'm pretty sure the pri stands for princess??

I was just wondering how long it'd take for this guy to show up in this thread.

• Locked thread