Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
13th Forward Keeper League

I got enough interest when I brought this up that I think it's worth going forward with. The 13th Forward Keeper league is a fantasy hockey league using very unique rules, and designed to span several years. It's based off the the 13th Forward fantasy league rules. The rules are subject to changes as we work through them early on.

Scoring

1pt per point scored by each skater or goalie.

1 pt per win. 1pt per shutout

30 pts for a player death in-season
50 pts for a player death in-game

No weekly or daily roster setting. Points are accrued from the time of any roster move. We'll use an automated system for this, whatever rules they have for timing will be used. (more to follow)

Roster Rules

Each team has a Roster and a Farm.

The Roster consists of 30 Team Slots (one for each NHL team). These 30 Team Slots can be filled by 30 Roster Players. During the regular season (after the draft, before the season ends) you may not have more or less than this number. There are no IR slots.

Each team also consists of 10 Farm Players. During the regular season you may have less than, but not more than, this number. At the start of season your farm players must be Farm Eligible. A player joining your farm team in-season must be Farm Eligible.

There are no positional limits on either the Roster or Farm. You can run 30 goalies if you want.

Roster Movement

During the year teams can make an unlimited number of moves (trades or Free Agent Pickups), so long as the moves are legal. Players can be moved from Farm to Roster without penalty. Players can be moved from the Roster to Farm without penalty so long as the player is Farm Eligible at the time of the move.

Free Agent Pickups (FAPs)

Each team is given 10 FAPs at draft day, and if FAPs are not used during the year, teams are allowed to carry over 5 FAPs into the following year (takes effect on the day prior to the draft).

FAPs are tradeable.

When a team makes a free agent pickup, they must spend one of their FAPs. When a team runs out of FAPs, they may no longer make free agent pickups (unless they go acquire more).

Roster Eligibility

When a player is added to the Roster, either during the draft, or during the regular season, that player must be signed to the appropriate Team Slot, based on the NHL team the player currently plays with.

You can add a player to any team slot that does not have a player, but your total roster size cannot exceed 30. You can also add a player to any team that does have a player, if you drop that player. You DO NOT NEED to drop or move players when they change teams in-season.

Examples of acceptable adds:

Team A has:

Tanguay, who started the season on Calgary but is now on Colorado.

Johnson, who started the season on St Louis but is now on Colorado.

Crosby, who started the season on Pittsburgh but is now on Toronto.

Kessel, who started the season on Toronto and is still on Toronto.

Stamkos, who started the season on Tampa and is still on Tampa.

Calgary: 0 players. Colorado: 3 players. Pittsburgh: 0 players. Toronto: 2 players. Tampa: 1 player

Team B has:

Hudler, who started the season on Calgary and is still on Calgary.

Killorn, who started the season on Tampa and is still on Tampa.

Versteeg, who started the season on Colorado and is still on Colorado.

ALLOWED:

Team B trades Hudler and Killorn to Team A for 2 FAPS and Stamkos

Team B uses one of those FAPs to pick up a player from the free agent pool.

Team A drops Tanguay.

This is allowed because Team A did not have a Calgary player, and they dropped one of their extra players from another team. Team A is NOT REQUIRED to drop a Toronto player in this case, because they did not make a move to affect the Toronto team slot.

NOT ALLOWED:

Team A trades Tanguay for Team B's Versteeg.

This is not allowed because Team A would have 3 Colorado players after a trade. To trade players from a team slot that is over the allowed number (or 1) Team A would need to drop or otherwise move the extra players.

Farm Eligibility

Any player who is property of an NHL team (includes guys in junior, overseas, whatever. as long as their rights are owned) is eligible for the farm until the year following their final season of rookie eligiblity.

For example:

Ken Dryden was eligible for the farm once he was drafted by Montreal, including in the first year he won the Stanley Cup, and in the second year he won the Stanley Cup (because he maintained rookie elibility despite all those playoff games).

Farm players who are no longer farm eligible are to be moved to the Roster on the day that keeper selections must be submitted.

Players who are on the Roster can be placed on the Farm in-season if they are farm eligible.

Keepers & Yearly Draft

Each team can select to "keep" up to 20 players from the Roster at the end of the year. These keepers must be sent to the commissioner before a pre-determined date (2 weeks before the draft).

Teams may keep no more than 1 player from each team.

Teams may keep less than 20 players if they wish, and they may move farm eligible players to the farm prior to making their keeper selections.

Teams keep their entire Farm team.

The Yearly Draft is to take place after the NHL draft, as close to the start of the NHL season as possible. Teams will draft in reverse order based on standings until all teams have filled out their rosters.

$$$$$

20$ / fantasy owner / year in CANADIAN DOLLARS

Payout:
60% to winner
20$ to third place
remainder to second place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For the league itself I'd like to do the intial draft over the summer, probably on here.

We've got to fill up 30 players + 10 farm slots, so expect it to take as long as the SAS fantasy draft stuff did.

Ideally I'd like to go into next year with 15-20 teams in this league, which would force us pretty deep into team lineups.

On the money thing - I think it worked well for the one-year league to have a bit extra on the line. Money wouldn't be due until the season starts in the fall (or if you were in the one year league, whenever, because I know you're good for it).

If you're interested in participating, post here and we can get a list of teams going.

Owners:

Jordan7hm
Vicas
Jawknee
JoelJoel
Tech
Teeter
ThinkTank

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 1, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This sounds absolutely ridiculous and I'm in

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm in for 7th - 10th place again!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Hooray!

My brother is out and will not be taking our money. Means I don't have to buy him an SA account at least.

I was thinking of starting the draft for this on June 1st, and just doing the first 20 keepers + farm teams. We'd do the normal yearly draft in the fall (including players drafted this year).

The question is, how do we make the draft fair in year 1? Eichel and McDavid are legit as gently caress.

I'm thinking we figure out two lists, ordered randomly. The top 2 teams from list 1 (our 20 player + farm draft) will be moved to the bottom of the list 2, and the top 2 teams from list 2 will be moved to the bottom of list 1. And then just running both as a snake draft. We'll let people see the list 2 order so they can plan ahead (maybe skip Toronto players if they're high in list 2, or whatever).

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Sounds complicated and awful. Count me in.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

These rules :psyduck:

I guess I'm in!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I don't really understand what's going on here but it's something to do with hockey for the next few years? That sounds like business as usual for me, so I'm in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teeter posted:

I don't really understand what's going on here but it's something to do with hockey for the next few years? That sounds like business as usual for me, so I'm in.

Yep! Multi year hockey pool.

If there are rules questions / stuff I didn't make clear, definitely bug me about it. If you think something should change because you've got a better idea, tell me. These aren't set in stone, they were merely the best way I could think of to translate that really cool league concept to a long term thing.

The first year is the rockiest for keeper leagues, so making sure we've got as much figured out in advance as possible is pretty important.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can make neither head nor tail of those rules, but I'm in regardless.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Me and Ginette will probably play

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Me and Ginette will probably play

Cool. That'd put us up to 9.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bumping this for another interest check. Would like to start drafting first week of June, assuming interest level is there.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

Bumping this for another interest check. Would like to start drafting first week of June, assuming interest level is there.

Shouldn't we wait til after the draft and free agency are done?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Shouldn't we wait til after the draft and free agency are done?

I mean, if the interest isn't there, yes. But otherwise I'd rather split the draft anyway, so that our last spots are held for once rosters are more set in late September. Basically run a "pre-league" draft, and then run a normal partial draft like would occur every year.

Might make sense to wait for the draft either way though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So, is starting June 28th good for people?

We'd be picking our first 20 roster players, and our farm team. You would not need to be in full roster compliance (ie. you could have two players from the same team) by the end of this draft.

We'll hold a supplementary draft in September once rosters are finalized. You would need to be in full roster compliance by the end of this draft.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
So what's the format? Pile into an irc channel sometime tomorrow or just post picks here because we literally have all summer?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vicas posted:

So what's the format? Pile into an irc channel sometime tomorrow or just post picks here because we literally have all summer?

Post picks here because we have literally all summer.

We'll do the fall draft in an IRC chat.

People who've said they want in:

Jordan7hm
Vicas
Jawknee
JoelJoel
Tech
Teeter
ThinkTank
T-Bone
Ginette (?)

I'll post another interest check in the main thread.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

How we determining the draft order?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JoelJoel posted:

How we determining the draft order?

I'll put them into random.org once we have the full list of participants. We'll have a list for this go round, and another for the fall go round. Both are snake drafts, though in future years drafts will just be ordered by reverse standings.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

With the first pick i pick Connor McDavid

e: just so im clear what do i do if I draft someone that signs with a team that i already have a player of

also am I able to draft two players from the same team (ie: Bozak and Polak) and what happens if so

also are we picking farm team at the same time as roster or does that come after

also if i don't end up with first overall I'd like to announce a trade of all 20 of my picks for 1st overall

also say I have Connor McDavid in my farm team and he's really good in the NHL it turns out but I have Nikita Nikitin on my roster is there a way to switch them or what

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 28, 2015

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
just so im clear what do i do if I draft someone that signs with a team that i already have a player of

You're good until the season starts.

also am I able to draft two players from the same team (ie: Bozak and Polak) and what happens if so

No, unless you put one of them on the farm team, in which case their actual team won't come into play (note that they obviously have to be farm eligible).

also are we picking farm team at the same time as roster or does that come after

Yes, we're picking 30 guys - our first 20 roster players and our farm team. When you make your pick, specify if they're a farm team player or not. You can make farm / roster moves during the course of the draft if you need to.

also if i don't end up with first overall I'd like to announce a trade of all 20 of my picks for 1st overall

I like it.

also say I have Connor McDavid in my farm team and he's really good in the NHL it turns out but I have Nikita Nikitin on my roster is there a way to switch them or what

Yeah, you drop Nikitin and bring McDavid up. If it wasn't Nikitin and instead it was Klefbom or someone else who is farm eligible, you could just put Klefbom on your farm. (Players who are on the Roster can be placed on the Farm in-season if they are farm eligible.)

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

just so im clear what do i do if I draft someone that signs with a team that i already have a player of

You're good until the season starts.

Do I have to drop one? And if so does that mean I have to use a FAP?

e: suppose I draft David Clarkson and he somehow is absolutely godawful can I get a mulligan and pick Nathan Horton instead? note I am talking specifically about these two players and not in general

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just a heads up that I'll be in Mexico from the 3rd to the 10th so... my involvement in drafting may be spotty at best between those dates

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Do I have to drop one? And if so does that mean I have to use a FAP?

e: suppose I draft David Clarkson and he somehow is absolutely godawful can I get a mulligan and pick Nathan Horton instead? note I am talking specifically about these two players and not in general

When the season starts you'd need to drop one, and if you need to fill a roster spot to get back up to 30, yeah you'd need to use a FAP. Or you'd need to trade one of them, that'd work too.

Specifically with those guys, you'd be ok because they're on different teams, and also David Clarkson is due for a resurgence this year!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Post picks here because we have literally all summer.

We'll do the fall draft in an IRC chat.

People who've said they want in:

Jordan7hm
Vicas
Jawknee
JoelJoel
Tech
Teeter
ThinkTank
T-Bone
Ginette (?)

I'll post another interest check in the main thread.

Yeah I'm in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So do we go ahead with 9, or do we try to get another person or two?

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Where is tofes

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We gonna do this, friends?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You tell me, chief. I remember reading some crazy loving rules a few months ago and that's it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I do believe we are.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm still in

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Ill be down for it, cant do it oct 4 or sept 25/26. Let me know the day a couple weeks in advance and I can hopefully get the day off.

Setting myself up for some more second place finishes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Technetium posted:

Ill be down for it, cant do it oct 4 or sept 25/26. Let me know the day a couple weeks in advance and I can hopefully get the day off.

Setting myself up for some more second place finishes.

We'll start by doing it over either email or this thread. I'd prefer email tbh. We'll pick our 30 guys. Then we'll have a single day for the 2015 draft picks / any additional players or farm guys that you need.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Jordan7hm posted:

We'll start by doing it over either email or this thread. I'd prefer email tbh. We'll pick our 30 guys. Then we'll have a single day for the 2015 draft picks / any additional players or farm guys that you need.

Can we get an expansion on draft details?

I ask because I assume we don't want it to take a month+ to do the drafting. I also ask because I work nights, sleep early afternoons, and keep odd hours in general. I don't want to get stuck with Kessel with the "3rd" overall pick again.

If we're going to try to hammer it out in a day, Saturday afternoon/night or Sunday afternoon works best for me.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jordan7hm posted:

oh we're not going to do a ridiculous overlong live draft again?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
hopeful bump

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Alright.

If you're down to do this, post here before Wednesday, and we'll work out a date. If we've got 10 people, we should be good to go.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I am in fact down with the clown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yes

• Locked thread