Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I can't think of a better name to refer to short, well-edited, videos exploring some aspect of gaming design. I'll show instead of tell and maybe you guys have some more recommendations. I adore watching this stuff.

RagnarRox
Sample Video: Dark Souls: Zelda for Grown Ups?!
This guy is probably my favorite. Extremely well-edited.

Sequelitis
Sample Video: Mega Man Classic vs. Mega Man X
One of the earliest examples of the genre. Super funny.

Game Maker's Toolkit
Sample Video: Theme and Mechanics in Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 4
This one is more specifically tailored towards game designers and still interesting to all.

Ahoy
Sample Video: Open World Origins
This is more of a straight historical documentation of gaming trends than a deep dive into design. Stellar production values.

Ross's Game Dungeon
Sample Video: Tyrian
Somewhat straddles the line because it's more of a review series. However, the review tends to focus on specifically why the game works from a design perspective rather than just iterating why the person likes the game.

And outside of gaming but along the same lines, I highly recommend Every Frame a Painting which deals with cinema.
Sample Video: Jackie Chan - How to Do Action Comedy

Do you guys like watching these? Do you have recommendations? Let's share.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread