Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

The year is 2047 and planar travel is possible. Using the energies of Qurtiz Crystals, strange rock formations that have created anomalies in mankind since he first walked the earth, corporations have been able to shred the boundary of this reality. Now a new race for this frontier is on, transforming an entire world. Entire industries live and die on access to new worlds, thousands of people immigrate to and from uninhabited worlds and the guns of nations are turned against those that would stop the march of capitalism. With only their Gospel of Wealth to bind them big business ruthlessly exploits thousands of worlds, using their agents to pacify any trouble they encounter.

But this world holds fortune too as corporations fight against each in the back streets of Mumbai, Karkorum and Roma. Because of strong horses that could stand the cold the native peoples who crossed over the Bering Strait built up a continent that rivaled Europe in splendor, from the shining pyramids of Tenochtitlan to the great cliff city of Nevasi. Pagan worshipers commanded the power of Qurtiz to hold off the Christian Romans and establish religious control over the Middle East and Scandnavia. Charlemagne never died and today slumbers in his Eternal Palace, master of Hamburg and able to bring any CEO or president to heel with just a word. On the Green Isle the Celts mixed with snakes and the Nathair jealsouly protect the secrets of their home, and the Qurtiz they control.

This is the future, endless mazes of corporate high rises and slums juxtaposed against a background of sparsely populate countryside, changed by both war and technology. Gone are the days of the mundane, the normal. Sleek aircraft slice through the skies, vehicles that blur the line between tank and car soar down massive highways, convoys of synth-leather clad bikers chase shipments of corporate products across the land. This is a time of opportunity and strife, of great wealth and great poverty. Captalism has won, perverting Commuism into a "One-state, one-company" ideology. All this is about to come dripping down to you, giving your the fruits of this digital age if you just reach out and take them.

This is the story of Ayn Rowbotham, a rich girl torn from her family and plunged into world of intrigue, danger and snake men.
Up to date stat sheet is here.
Feel free to ask for stats anytime in the thread.

mcclay fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Post Reserved

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Post Reserved the 2nd

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

I'll cast my vote for (A) Dublin-on-Liffey.

EDIT: I didn't notice the vote for gender. I'll go (2).

Dedman Walkin fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 29, 2015

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

1 B: That area was my actual home for a while, I'd love to play in its setting!
2 1: I'm not creative.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

E

Let us begin with the class warfare!

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

A Darker Porpoise posted:

E

Yeah this one

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Oh, yes, I almost forgot.
Whats your name?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

mcclay posted:

Oh, yes, I almost forgot.
Whats your name?

Megalon

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Looks like the general consensus is for Port Morassi. Update later today. Get your votes in while you still can.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

A Darker Porpoise posted:

E

This sounds good to me.

EDIT: Our name should be Michelle Moloch. Just for the whole life consuming company feel.

Obscil fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 29, 2015

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Port Morassi looks like something risen from a dream, a glittering lattice work of walkways and shining towers. Here extravagance is the rule, not the exception and the followers of the free market bask in its rewards. Its position in the Pacific brings in all the best from Thípi and Asia, making it home to some of the most prestigious mega-corps in the world. The resorts and spas are legends in other cities, the food is the cream of the culinary crop. No expense is spared, not detail over looked and the elite of the world prosper under the hot sun. The Corporate Council maintains a strong presence here, watching from the shadows in case the idle rich break one of the Laws of the Gospel. The sovereignty of the island is back up by high end mercenaries and cutting edge defense systems, protecting Morassi's shores from any who would try and take its wealth for themselves. Truly there is no better place to live than here.

Of course the problem with being the best place to live on earth is that everyone wants to live right alongside you. From the embattled nations of southern Africa, from the war-torn island of Albion, from the slums of the Mexica Commune and from the shanties of New Delhi they came. Thousands of refugees, pouring into a place that promised everything as along as you were strong enough to take it. Boats piled upon the white beaches, more than any army could ever stop. So they didn't, instead the wealthy saw use for the poor flooding their island. The towers of the rich need to be maintained, the be fed with the blood and savings of those who couldn't even afford to stand in their shadows. Leasing out land at exorbitant interest rates, sending entire families into debt, the landlords of Morassi, and other cities on the island utopia, grew even richer. Up around the edges of the cities vast slums grew, extreme wealth next to extreme poverty. The mercenaries maintained a tenuous truce, until now.

A new bill passed through the island parliament, a bill that greatly increased taxes on the poor. The underclass, already straining under the burden of corrupt landlords, finally broke. As the first punishments for not paying the new tax, debt peonage and much worse, began to appear the fires started. Just one or two angry people yelling on rooftops quickly turned into a surge of fists raised and banners made. The slums exploded into fire. Already several protests have been brutally put down, tear gas and beanbag rounds fired into massed crowds. The people responded in kind with firebombs and rocks. Yesterday a officer was shot and killed, sparking a brutal series of raids and punitive strikes. Now instead of fists guns are raised, instead of banners bombs are made. The revolution is now.

Are you
(A}One of the rich: You never had to worry about a thing in your life. Brought up on daddies dollar and mommies parliament seat you eagerly cut a swathe across the teen scene of Port Morassi. Quick to do the daring, the unthinkable, you gained a following of awestruck youth from your antics. Whether it was freerunning through the slums or skydiving from the tops of skyscrapers you craved danger. This, combined with your parents connections to several major corps, has put evaluating eyes on you. But right now all you care about is fun. Who cares if the riots are turning more and more violent everyday. That just makes attending them more fun.

(B)One of the poor: Your family paid everything they had just to buy the shack you live in. Growing up you had very little, usually enough food for just one meal. Your brothers and sisters ended up either dead or working in some menial job but you were different. The Yakuza, Triads and other gangs found the skills of a street rat useful. You've been in the game long enough to know which buildings to scale, what rich idiots beach house is always open, who to fight and who to stay away from. With knife and pistol you've made a name as a made woman, if things had kept going as before you would have joined a syndicate and gone far. But the gangs have been scared underground by the protesters, a group who is openly courting you and your skills. Others watch you from on high, planning and plotting your future. But right now you need to figure out if you will join the revolution or retreat from it. The shadows call, but so does the rising fire.

We also still need a name!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A. Ayn Rand

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A These slum fellows fill me with a sense of whimsy, I'll go running along the tops of their homes on a lark just to see their reactions, and if there are any problems? Daddy can just have the mercenaries come down and get me.

Name: Millicent Rowbotham

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

A Rich people toys and parkour all day every day.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
A and Ayn Rand sound good to me.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B. Zhu Yuanzhang

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Putting the kibosh on Ayn Rand as a name. Ayn can be the first name if you want our young ladies parents to be complete tools but I'll need a more sensible surname.

mcclay fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 30, 2015

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

mcclay posted:

Putting the kibosh on Ayn Rand as a name. Ayn can be the first name if you want our young ladies parents to be complete tools but I'll need a more sensible surname.

Ayn Megalon.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
You're name is Ayn Rowbotham, mostly because you're parents are tools. Pretty much everyone is a tool nowadays. The rest of the so called "adults", more like children with how little they care about the truly important things in life, are tools. The police are tools, who the hell gave them the authority to constrain your right to go wherever the hell you want? The government is full of tools that pander to the corporate tools who pollute the world and fill up every space with commericalist garbage. Being the proud vegan, anti-corporate, anarchist, communist girl you are clearly you don't believe any of their lies. You're 18 and invincible. Also you look loving fantastic.

The Man tends to rail against the Party Drone style but gently caress that poo poo. You're going to show all of your friends, most of whom are huge tools but whatever, that it is a legitimate style that can be used in a variety of practical situations. To do this you're going to free run across the city until you get to downtown, dodge through the police and protester lines before riding on top of a bullet tram all the way back to Zarkez Square. It'll be loving fantastic and those plebs holding back the Will of the People won't even know what happened. Tonight's gonna be perfect, as long as your best friend doesn't ruin it for you.

"Like, OMG! Ayny pleeeeeeeeease, you've got to take me with you. I can even like, get one of those dress things too! I have toooooons of money in back and my parents won't even like, notice that its gone. You've been promising me for monnnnths that you'd take me! Please please please?!"
You like Jessi, you honestly do. You were best friends in middleschool and thats continued until now, your senior year. However while you took in the deep, nuanced literature of the outside world Jessi dove deep into the social circle of Morassi Skyline Highschool. This has lead to her learning, ah, stagnating as she pays more attention to Spattle and Frontwall than anything else. Holy poo poo, why is she still wearing her cheerleader outfit? Why the hell would she wear her cheerleader outfit to such a dangerous and important mission?! This is going to be a complete and utter diaster. Still, she is your best friend and you did, much to your eternal frustration, agree to take her with you next time you did something big.
Do you
A: Take her with you
B: Tell her to gently caress off
C: Agree and try to ditch her later
D: Write in

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

C: We may have agreed to bring her, but nothing said about staying with her, the world of besties is a turbulent affair and no one would look twice when we upgrade to a new model.

Slightly Lions
Apr 13, 2009

Look what I can do!
A, let's take this as an opportunity to educate Jessi in the ways of proper anarcho-communist, anti-corporatist, pan-sexual, vegan orthodoxy. Nothing says "gently caress you, Dad!" like being different and unique in perfect unison.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
D - Kiss her and admit your long held back feelings for her. This is a lie of course you're actually trying to scare her off so you don't have to deal with her, love is for plebs and tools

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A - We keep our word, unlike certain tools!

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
When we get a little bit more of a consensus I'll update.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Well, I'm not helping.

B

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
A

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
"Ugh, fine. You can come with me as long as you aren't too much of a putz."
Jessi perks up and starts to happily squeak and squeal, her voice getting lost in the sudden increase in bass from the next room over. Its some tool's birthday, Franz something, and his idiot friends are throwing him a big birthday bash. Whatever, everyone knows those are just tools used by the capitalist oppressive patriarchy to keep everyone down. You wouldn't be caught dead going to one of those, not unless it was to cause havoc or get drunk. Anyways, you're run's gonna start in about five minutes, or whenever all the people you invited to watch get here. Either or, it honestly doesn't matter if all those tools are watching, a brave warrior of the underclass shouldn't if shes being watched or not. While you wait for Jessi to get back you head over to your state room's second personal balaconey and look out over the city.

The twin towers of City Hall rise up over the sprawl, glittering beacons of prosperity and wealth. In the streets far below people laugh and dance and go about their way, most just starting to hit up the lively nightlife scene. As much as you really hate the bourgeois forces that went into to building this city you have to admit that you like it here. The Corporate Council has been talking about moving its headquarters here if the Gospel is followed a bit more strictly. Once that happens Morassi, and the rest of the island, will become the seat of a vast empire of wealth. An empire you're going to rule one day. With your parents wealth, your own skill and the loving support of all those oppressed people you'll help and free everything will just fall into place. Nothing can go wrong, surely. You hear the sound of your friends, lesser tools more like, approaching. Its now or never and oh god why is Jessi still wearing the cheerleader clothes?
On the run, will you
A: Take it slow and avoid trouble
B: Throw caution to the wind and count on your skill to get you out of any bad situation you encounter
C: Take caution in the protest areas but not give a poo poo in the upper class district

Will you
1Mostly go along the rooftops
2Stay near the streets as much as possible

Finally do you intend to make any stops along the way
Yes: Write in where
No

mcclay fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 4, 2015

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
B, Roofs, and stop at our crushes house to try and convince them to join us what's the point of being a badass kid the one person who we want to see it can't?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
C

And for the second question, I guess I vote 1, but the first 1 and not the second 1.

Stop to get Ayny a real outfit, and not the crap she's wearing now.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Wentley posted:

C

And for the second question, I guess I vote 1, but the first 1 and not the second 1.

Stop to get Ayny a real outfit, and not the crap she's wearing now.

Crap? Crap?!
Listen here you tool, I'll have you know that the Party Drone movement is the loving cutting edge of high fashion :colbert:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Sure, but a midnight blue would go better with the skyline. Red? Who wears red for night running? Plebs, that's who.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Wentley posted:

Sure, but a midnight blue would go better with the skyline. Red? Who wears red for night running? Plebs, that's who.

Listen man, when we get down to the protest areas it'll blend right in. I don't think you know how many fires those tools oppressed people are lighting. We will like chic as gently caress.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
A small bump to see if anyone's still interested in this.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Of course! I'll be even more interested if there's an update, too.

Don't worry too much about low vote turnouts early on; it takes time for people to get invested in a character/world.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
i agree with ralith, don't base your success on things like Paradise Lost or the Warhammer games, there is a lot of potential here.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

B1 Still interested just falling behind on thread reading, also yes to forcing Jessi to change that trashy outfit just will not do.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Ralith posted:

Of course! I'll be even more interested if there's an update, too.

Don't worry too much about low vote turnouts early on; it takes time for people to get invested in a character/world.

Aw, you guuuuuuuuuuuuuuys. Anyways, update

Nothing else feels as goddamn good as this. The wind whipping past you, making your dress spread out behind you like a cape; its like flying. The lights of the city blink and glitter below you, a thousand jewels flying past you as you leap from rooftop to rooftop. The corporate areas of Port Morassi are connected by a wide ranging network of bridges, arches and platforms; all designed for a parkour enthusiast like yourself. This makes travelling along the city skyline easy, if you don't suck. Speaking of people who suck holy poo poo Jessi please. Shes at least always two rooftops behind you, panting heavily as she struggles to climb up ledges that you easily vault over.
"Ayny! Waiiiiiiiit uppppppppppp! This is like, super hard! I thought you said this would be like, as easy as yoga!"
No, you did not ever say that. Well, maybe once but that was probably during a party and you were hitting on someone. Really you're not sure why she wanted to come, that girl could not scale a wall in under a minute to save her life. You miiiight be taking a route that puts speed over safety but hey, if you can't stand the heat you should get off the rooftops. Everyone says that, yeah.

Just as you're contemplating pushing Jessi off a highrise the tall buildings suddenly stop. Down below is Panrki Square, a major social hub and the border between the slums and the high-rises of your home. Currently its serving as the flashpoint between police and the protesters. The golden statue of Panrki, the man who first brokered the deal with the refugees, has been torn down and defaced. The four parks that surround the square have been torn apart, the trees and other large plants made part of the barricades or fuel for the fires. Said fires are everywhere: great bonfires in the center of knots of protests, raging blazes where demagogues scream to the people and across the wall of the barriacde one huge fire blazes. In the shadow of the barriacde a solid line of riot police stand, 5 men deep. Behind them armored vehicles point heavy machine guns at the protesters, ready to fire if they come over the wall. The occasional pistol or rifle shot can be heard, rioters swarming over the debris only to be pushed back by police. This is no longer a peaceful protest, it might not even be just a riot anymore. The thousands here are the beginnings of any armed rebellion, with perhaps millions more in the slums behind them.
So, how do you want to tackle this?
A: Skirt around this loving mess, the slums are danger enough for you and you really don't want to be caught in the middle of this if things get violent
B: Go straight in, flitting between the barricade, the police line and the protesters. You want to put on a show goddamnit.
C:Other, write in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B

• Locked thread