Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

CRYPT OF THE NECRODANCER is a rhythm game roguelike! An actual roguelike, with for real turn-based combat and items and different weapons and shopkeepers and shrines and all that, AND an actual rhythm game, where you're expected to do everything to the beat of some hot dance tracks!. The ground turns into a disco dance floor when you have a multiplier going! The shopkeeper sings along in a warbly MIDI voice! It's pretty dang cool.

So what this game is is a roguelike where all button presses only register if you hit them along with the beat. Performing actions along with the beat boosts your coin multiplier, which is useful for buying items, activating shrines, and attaining a high score. Breaking the beat breaks your coin multiplier, robbing you of potential money and more importantly throwing you off rhythm and possibly giving enemies a chance to attack. The game is entirely controlled by the arrow keys (though there is controller and -dance pad- support!) and fancier maneuvers such as casting spells or using items are controlled by pressing two arrow keys at once, akin to one of them fancy DDR moves all the kids down at the arcade are so good at these days. The actual rhythm-keeping part of it isn't terribly challenging, and after a few minutes moving to the beat becomes pretty intuitive, but the challenging part is the fact that the enemies also move to the beat (and unlike you, never miss), meaning it's necessary to learn their patterns and "dance" along with them if you want to hit them without taking damage.

There are numerous weapon and armor types and qualities, dozens of items, dozens of enemies, spells, shrines, hidden shops and lots of secrets, 4 different zones, 7 different bosses, daily top-score and speedrun challenges, and 10 different characters all with completely different playstyles. There is a ton of content in this game, like any good roguelike should have. Hell, even if you hate the rhythm game part of it, it's still a great roguelike by itself, and there's an easily-unlocked character that lets you play in classic enemies-move-when-I-move roguelike mode. But why.

The amazing soundtrack, by Danny Baranowski, is also for sale and the game includes two separate mixes for each level, by A_Rival and FamilyJules. All three soundtracks can be found in playlist form here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzfJoq0FuLQ
DannyB (original mixes w/ shopkeeper vocals at the end)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frVd9AyqNzk
A_Rival (stinky fat beats remixes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYuSvfDFeow
FamilyJules7x (heavy metal remixes)

Crypt of the Necrodancer just recently left a very productive early access cycle and the full release game can be found for $15 on Steam here.

Wiki
Developer's Blog (hasn't been updated for a while)
Website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
saved for stuff maybe

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is the boss level splash art new? 'cause that's pretty rad.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Anatharon posted:

Is the boss level splash art new? 'cause that's pretty rad.

Yup and there's cutscenes between zones! The story presentation in general seems to be the biggest pass they did right before full release.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

quadrophrenic posted:

Yup and there's cutscenes between zones! The story presentation in general seems to be the biggest pass they did right before full release.

That's pretty cool. I really like the boss aesthetics. Also the puns. :haw:

AH WELCOME

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Anatharon posted:

That's pretty cool. I really like the boss aesthetics. Also the puns. :haw:

Wait until you beat the game. Oh, the puns in the ending slides.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Does Story Mode need you to beat the game with Cadence, Melody and Aria without and breaks?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anatharon posted:

Does Story Mode need you to beat the game with Cadence, Melody and Aria without and breaks?

Nah, you can(and should) do it zone by zone, just ignore the "Story mode" in the character choice room, it's a gimmicky run and not needed to progress the story.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Yeah the story mode run is just a run with Cadence > Melody > Aria in order, but you can get all the story beats by just playing them individually. Which is just as well because finishing a full run with Aria is pretty hard as is, and it'd be worse if you had to go the other two first. Of course the super challenge character Coda is only unlocked by defeating an all (other) characters run, which is like the story mode except with all 9 characters instead of just the three main characters.

You probably don't want to unlock it anyway though, unless you particularly want to play an Aria who can't pick up gold without dying and who also has the beats go twice as quickly.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
Been playing since last winter, and have been digging the experience quite a bit. Haven't felt terribly inclined to go too far beyond a hardcore mode run, but there is a lot there for anyone looking to mix up their rhythm game experience, and the run from AGDQ 2015 is worth seeing as well.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
This game owns and is good.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I basically only play All Zones and Dailies for the full roguelike experience

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game owns

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Biggest problem with NecroDancer is how the loading screen at the start is like 2 minutes long.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Bogart posted:

This game owns and is good.

Yeah it is. It's really easy to spiral out of control after one mistake but man does it feel good to get it right and literally dance around your enemies while they all fall dead.

Anatharon posted:

Biggest problem with NecroDancer is how the loading screen at the start is like 2 minutes long.

It feels like it got a little shorter after the latest patch, but it is a serious bummer. Rather, the only serious bummer the game offers.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
You should request the mod change the thread tag to Music.

I beat this the other day. And by beat, I mean with Candace and Melody because gently caress playing as Aria.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I've actually beaten the game as Aria, and all you need is a little persistence(except maybe for the final boss, which might feel almost impossible if you can't handle pressure). If you can manage to beat the first zone, you should be able to get to the boss without many problems.

Now Coda on the other hand, there is a character for insane savants.

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You should request the mod change the thread tag to Music.

Yeah, this, mods

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Broken Cog posted:

I've actually beaten the game as Aria, and all you need is a little persistence(except maybe for the final boss, which might feel almost impossible if you can't handle pressure). If you can manage to beat the first zone, you should be able to get to the boss without many problems.

My record time as Aria is 10 seconds. I've died three times to missed beats. You need to be absolutely 100% perfect at all times. I do not have the skill to play through an entire zone perfectly, nor the patience to try.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The main thing that trips me up as Aria isn't the one hit point. It's not missing a single beat for the whole time you play as her.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Usually a combination of the two! I die when I'm trying not to miss a beat and I get chomped by my bad positioning. I'm getting better though -- made it to area 3 of zone 4. The killer is that attempting to dig a wall you can't dig counts as a missed beat, so if you dodge into a stone wall or a shop wall then You Dead. This actually makes otherwise really trivial monsters kind of challenging and is why I really dread accidentally opening a bat crypt.

e: Also the Mommy is seriously the worst mini-boss as Aria. The little dudes make positioning really stressful since they move in all 8 directions every other beat.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
I virtually never missed a beat playing as Cadence so I don't know what people's hangups are on Aria. The one hit point is what is killing me more than anything.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

The main thing that trips me up as Aria isn't the one hit point. It's not missing a single beat for the whole time you play as her.

Also skipping every 7th like Konga is apparently a thing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anatharon posted:

Also skipping every 7th like Konga is apparently a thing.

That's only for that particular boss, or if you activate a Rhytm shrine(This is something you usually only do once ever).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

That's only for that particular boss, or if you activate a Rhytm shrine(This is something you usually only do once).

Oh, I'd heard Aria was affected by that all the time which sounded insane to me.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Just wanted to also chime in to say this game owns bones.

I've been playing it off and on since there were only 3 characters, its really come a long long way since those early access days and I was still super excited to play through story mode with the actual release.

Playing it with a controller feels nicer too, and rebind everything as some things like 'left and right together' can gently caress you up by pressing one too soon and ending up getting you killed (especially if you're playing as Aria).

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Suspicious Cook posted:

It feels like it got a little shorter after the latest patch, but it is a serious bummer. Rather, the only serious bummer the game offers.

It could use a loading percentage or something at least. It took me a while to realize the game wasn't just freezing when I tried to launch it.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
That :shitpost: tag.

I bought this last year because I was living in Minnesota, and there puns are currency. It then turned into one of my favorite games of the year- I've dumped a good hundred hours into the game and I'm still awful, and a friend I recommended it to, who doesn't play games, is probably around 3 or 400 hours.

It's remarkably good, varied, and just plain smart. Honestly the best indie title I can think of in the last couple years.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Man, this sucks because I usually have to play games at a low volume I always just end up playing as Bard. The timer on the bottom is helpful but I have better rhythm if I can hear the music.

Either way, this game is fun as hell.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Inzombiac posted:

Man, this sucks because I usually have to play games at a low volume I always just end up playing as Bard. The timer on the bottom is helpful but I have better rhythm if I can hear the music.

Either way, this game is fun as hell.

Invest in headphones?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Purchase this video game, and play it.

I just saw this mod that remixes all three soundtracks, going to try it and see if it's better than danny B's original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zVRgiJS8hU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Better yet, play it with a friend. It's a blast.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tallgeese posted:

Better yet, play it with a friend. It's a blast.

But don't use the Bard for this unless you want to strangle each other. Turns out that each movement that a player makes counts as a beat, which really limits what both of you can do.

RiskyChris
Jan 13, 2008
Don't play the bard anyway because he's a boring character.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

quadrophrenic posted:

This is an amazing game, but I have no idea what they were thinking with the story. You can't tell a serious story that revolves around a dance-filled dungeon built by the Necrodancer. It is not possible to genuinely care about anything going on in it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Co-op doesn't work as well as I hoped, because the game is completely about learning really consistent rules for each enemy but when you have another person around for them to respond to, that gets completely disrupted. It's really hard to predict what enemies will do when you have two players equally far apart from them and it ends up feeling really clumsy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

RiskyChris posted:

Don't play the bard anyway because he's a boring character.

When I beat the bard's story I was surprised that there wasn't a cutscene that showed that he became the Necrodancer, which was weird. I'm pretty sure that's what was implied.

Also gently caress Aria, she's super hard

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

I'm only 8 hours in but this game rules. I'm very grateful there is a training mode available to learn enemy patterns.

Red Dragons ending your runs? Pop on over to the lobby and practice slaying 10 Red Dragons with the basic dagger. A particular boss being a pain? There are practice rooms for bosses as well, with chambers for every variant. Oh, and you can equip any weapon you've unlocked to try as well.

This inclusion keeps the base game from becoming too much trial and error. Once you've done your homework you can really feel the difference as you clean shop on a floor.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001
This game owns bones and is one of the best surprises of 2015 for me so far. I still need to win as Aria. I had one promising run where I got a few levels in and found glass armor for a little insurance but lost the armor a few turns later due to fatfingering and died a few turns after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Don't be ashamed to use the Bard. Quite a few of the enemies have weird attack patterns, particularly in Zone 2 and beyond, so learning them in time to the music can be a terrible experience. You will be much, much better once you go back to the other characters, though.

• Locked thread