Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I beat it. :toot: Had the Blast Helm so quickly bombed out of the Necrodancer's first phase as per Reveilled's tip, then squeaked through the second thanks to a resurrect potion. Not convincing, but I'll take it.

Did a quick run with Melody and she seems like a really fun character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

On that note, I know you can redirect a minotaur charge with a flail or ring of war, but can you redirect Dead Ringer on the charge?

I don't see how you could as the mechanics are very different. Minotaur hops a block per turn. Dead ringer instantly traverses the entire room. When exactly would you hit him for the reflect?

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
You can. You just have to be in range on the turn before he charges.

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm nowhere near speedrunning the game but that sounds like it might also be useful for Dove, with whom I've done a couple of runs.

Here's another complaint - I never know how much damage I'm going to take from a given enemy. Just now I had three hearts and Dead Ringer one-shot me with a charge attack because I didn't think I should waste my ham in that situation. That's just annoying. With three hearts I feel safe for at least one hit, c'mon. I kind of wish damage was a fixed amount for enemies and bosses, e.g. regular enemies deal X damage, bosses deal Y damage, and armor maybe gives a chance to parry/negate it completely or something like that. As it stands I'm almost always in the dark about my safety/danger level in terms of health.

I should probably just not get hit. :sigh:

Darkness is not useful on dove since it replaces your ring and you want peace. For speed running dove you want a miners cap, which auto digs walls.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Digirat posted:

Yeah there is no such thing as "acceptable damage" in this game. Never rely on intentionally tanking a hit. Armor and heart containers are great, but treat them as leniency on mistakes, not a resource you can expend.

If you know the mechanics of the game it can be quite easy to get super tanky and with some regeneration. You'll see racers do this often, but sometimes we get overconfident and get stomped trying to push too fast. Health is a resource to spend, especially on blood magic.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Who do i have to kill to get more details on the expansion/dlc?

Tbh I know some stuff but I can't really talk about it. New zone, new boss, new character, new weapon types, new consumables, new rings, and a new spell.

On that note, I know you can redirect a minotaur charge with a flail or ring of war, but can you redirect Dead Ringer on the charge?

You can if you are in range on the beat he preps his charge.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Picked this up yesterday and I've been having a blast so far.

Is it just me or is Zone 3 a huge jump in difficulty? It seemed to me like 1 and 2 were just a matter of learning patterns, while 3 is much more dependent on getting favorable items from chests or the shop while dealing with more enemies in more complex patterns. Or maybe I'm just bad, who knows.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Softface posted:

Is it just me or is Zone 3 a huge jump in difficulty? It seemed to me like 1 and 2 were just a matter of learning patterns, while 3 is much more dependent on getting favorable items from chests or the shop while dealing with more enemies in more complex patterns. Or maybe I'm just bad, who knows.

A bit of both? Zone 3 stuff has some weirder patterns and enemies, like the clapping yeti's threw me off forever, but it's also real big and open so you get swarmed, with lots of terrain effects that will gently caress you up. It's also when you start seeing black skeletons and ice dragons and what not so in general enemies hit harder and have more health.

It's not impossible without good items but its a step up, yeah.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Skelly knights :stonk:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Softface posted:

I mean yeah, zone 3 is really hard, but also yeah, you're bad.

There's a lot of fast enemies with complex patterns and they almost all do at least 1.5 hearts of damage... but the game is entirely beatable without any items nearly 100% of the time. Zone 3 used to be way worse, tbh, but there were like 3 different attempts to reduce the swarming of it.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

jackofarcades posted:

Tbh I know some stuff but I can't really talk about it. New zone, new boss, new character, new weapon types, new consumables, new rings, and a new spell.

That's fair, I just meant I wish I knew how far along it was. I wanna play it!!! I imagine that's not something that can be talked about, though. :v:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's fair, I just meant I wish I knew how far along it was. I wanna play it!!! I imagine that's not something that can be talked about, though. :v:

It's very far along. We've already done more testing for z5 than we did for z4.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilP_dT9IoMI

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yes!!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

jesus christ about loving time

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i'm seeing all kinds of neat poo poo in that trailer

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm stoked for this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shop wall mimic :captainpop:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
The DLC is going into early access? Not sure about that...

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

khwarezm posted:

:geno:

Base game is good and I don't feel like there's any evidence that suggests beforehand that this is going to end badly. They handled the base game oretty much the same way.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
They're a first time dev. Doesn't surprise me that they'd stick to what they know.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
So DLCs just going to be PC for a while at least? Have they mentioned console?

I mean... I'll get it for both anyway...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

khwarezm posted:

Necrodancer was an Early Access title back in the day :buddy:

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's just early access so they can figure out balance and stuff.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Wamdoodle posted:

Necrodancer was an Early Access title back in the day :buddy:

I know, but I was hoping they'd have the resources to go through a more regular development process by now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

khwarezm posted:

I know, but I was hoping they'd have the resources to go through a more regular development process by now.

They probably can, but they've said: "“Crypt of the NecroDancer is a MUCH better game because of all the great feedback we received from our community during Early Access, and we know that the same will be true of Early Access for Crypt of the NecroDancer: AMPLIFIED. Also, Early Access permits us to get the DLC into your hands more quickly, and we know that there are many of you who are anxious to start playing!”"

It's hard to complain about the fact that they value community feedback.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Today I tried to lure a wind mage to a spike trap and for my troubles the mage sucked me into the trap instead. Also I dig buffered as aria to take care of a pixie but I forgot I had an infernal torch which made it explode instead. What are your favorite ways to die in this game? Here's some classics to start you off... digging into a surprise minotaur, getting ambushed instantly after shooting a random warlock from a mile away with the rifle, not getting the rapier quick kill on deep blues which would have worked without ring of courage, lunging into a dragon with obs rapier on a x2 multiplier instead of x3, killing a sub-boss with fireball and aggroing a shopkeeper in the process, and buying boots of pain in the blood shop.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

khwarezm posted:

The early access days were the best part of Necrodancer. Every month we got new items and characters! It was awesome!

But like I said, I think this is just a way to get some more community feedback before finalizing it. I doubt there will be much continued development and let me assure you that there is a LOT of content in Amplified already.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Press Kits and Beta testers can stream starting at Jan 22 12:01am EST.

Keep an eye on http://twitch.tv/eladdifficult

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 20, 2017

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

New music debuting here https://www.twitch.tv/excessiveprofanity

I'll be streaming at 12:01 am EST probably at https://twitch.tv/jackofgames

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
I am loving this soundtrack.

But the game is killing me. I need to get better at it. Any newbie tips to not get mauled by the dragon?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

don't stand to its left or its right for more than one turn

or do this

http://crypt-of-the-necrodancer.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dragon_Dance

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

don't stand to its left or its right for more than one turn

or do this

http://crypt-of-the-necrodancer.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dragon_Dance

That looks simple. I thought the dragon had some 1x3 grid claw swipe attack too. It surprises me that I have to defeat a dragon before I get to practice fighting a dragon. Being killed by one seems like a good merit. I do appreciate the advice and I will give that a try.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
This game is sweet. I'm terrible at it. I saw it's got workshop support and I'm curious if there are any mods that come recommended? I saw one that changes the weapon sprites s they're more than just recolours, which I like.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Dejawesp posted:

That looks simple. I thought the dragon had some 1x3 grid claw swipe attack too. It surprises me that I have to defeat a dragon before I get to practice fighting a dragon. Being killed by one seems like a good merit. I do appreciate the advice and I will give that a try.

There is a specific challenge that forces you to deal with a dragon in a narrow corridor. It uses a character that freezes time (as in the game moves only when you do) which makes it essentially a great dragon trainer as you can ponder over each move as long as you want.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Early access for Amplified will go up today, right?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

CuddlyZombie posted:

Early access for Amplified will go up today, right?

It's supposed to but I haven't seen it yet.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
AMPLIFIED is now available for early access on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/554000/

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes! just bought it!

just downloaded it!

just seen the patch notes!

quote:

- Vocals from nerdcore rapper Mega Ran as Fortissimole!

how do i get a refund

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually the mole ain't so bad

there is a lot of new stuff.

five new weapon types.

• axe acts like a broadsword-rapier hybrid, hitting the three squares in front of your position if you move, hitting just one square if you don't move.
  • harp acts like a dagger that hits all 8 squares around you when you attack
  • warhammer hits all three squares in front of you, and the three squares in front of that
  • cutlass acts like a spear that enables you to parry like a blademaster on the turn you attack. it only comes in "base" flavour
  • staff is a one-square-range daggerlike that fires a shot when you kill something. the shot does the same damage as your attack i think and is only stopped by walls

carrots that give you the level map when you use them. cookies that come in stacks, heal half a heart each (you know how food makes you invincible the turn you use it??). familiars are pretty powerful. shovel of courage!!

there's also a lot going on with the new content, it gets a bit confusing. shock mages can go gently caress themselves

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

[*]harp acts like a dagger that hits all 8 squares around you when you attack

Well, this one's only kinda new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i went into it thinking it was like the golden lute, and got hit by a skeleton

• Locked thread