Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

VikingofRock posted:

Speaking of interesting math-y books, can anyone recommend a good book on category theory? I've been meaning to read up on it more.

I haven't looked too deeply at either of them, but I hear good things about Conceptual Mathematics and Category Theory for the Sciences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's an inherent difficulty in learning Haskell as an imperative programmer, but it's made much worse by the documentation that's out there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Free OCaml course

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Speaking of functional languages for web development, there's a (very early) OCaml to Javascript compiler that might be interesting.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I want to try selling functional reactive programming to some people who are vaguely aware of functional programming in general, but not too clear on the specifics. I could give them chapter 1 of Blackheath & Jones, but is there any other good introduction that's worth sending along?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's an Idris book whose first chapter is available online. It's worth a read if you're interested in what sort of examples Edwin Brady chose to illustrate the power of dependent types, but you won't get a lot of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've been asked to give a talk introducing Haskell and functional programming to a group of fairly experienced C++ developers. I can go through a pretty standard introduction covering the various languages out there, the way expressions are evaluated model, the idea of formal semantics, and the major language features, but I'm wondering if there's anything that's specifically helpful for people whose primary experience is a with a low-level stateful imperative language. I've found the Haskell Tutorial for C Programmers and I'm going to read through that, but I'd really appreciate anything else that might be helpful.

• Locked thread