Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Cross-posting from the .NET megathread:

NihilCredo posted:

So if you want to create a WebSharper website, what are your options for good-looking UI controls beside KendoUI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

xtal posted:

Does it still only run in browsers because building and learning a language just for front end web dev is straight up farcical

Do you feel the same way about SQL ("building and learning a language just for relational databases is straight up farcical")?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that - it's just the Fira Code font, it has nice ligatures. I use VS Code with the Ionide plugins mostly, it's nice for quick scripting - plus I feel like I'm learning more of the nuts and bolts of working with . NET projects than with VS 2015 :frogbon:

The code lens (automatic type annotations) in Ionide is amazing. I think it's the first feature it offers that simply can't be found in Visual Studio, and makes it a legit alternative even if you're running on Windows.

I still went back to VS because managing project files by hand (or with Forge's extremely limited commands) is godawful, and the .NET Standard thing has only made targeting even more of a clusterfuck.

I do use VS Code for writing .fsx scripts, though. I made a batteries-included folder that contains FSI.exe and all its required libraries, so I can just give scripts to colleagues without needing them to have anything installed.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 21, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

dougdrums posted:

All of the digraphs don't show up in VS2015, or I least I couldn't get them to ... in Code they work great though! I've been using Code on my linux laptop, for working on the run or when I'm waiting somewhere. It makes good use of screen space when I don't need a debugger or I am content with using gdb manually. Someone I work with made a more-or-less makefile using a fsx script, including building C libraries. It worked well and I thought it was a pretty good idea.

I find codelens to be annoying in VS (only because it messes up the spacing), but I do find myself hovering my mouse over definitions quite often ...

The ligatures involving a hyphen "-" (which unfortunately is most of them) don't work in Visual Studio due to some issue with its codebase, and I don't expect it to be fixed either; others do work, but since those ligatures are Fira Code's entire selling point, I just use a different font for VS (Office Code Pro Medium, if you're curious).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Both files do #load "Polls.fsx" and open Polls.

If the first file loads the second, and the second loads the third, then the first one doesn't need to also load the third, it just carries over.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

You're overthinking it. Here's all that MSDN has to say about the #load command:

quote:

Reads a source file, compiles it, and runs it.
That's it. #load is not some kind of dependency declaration, it's a blunt imperative command "run the stuff in this file now". When you look at it this way, it's obvious that #loading file2 executes every command contained in that file, including potentially "#load file3". And it's also obvious that if you #load both file2 and file3, you end up executing file3 twice (try it with a printf...).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Oh nice - brand new in... 2.0? :catstare:

My co-worker was so proud of having written a 'proper' pure recursion-based utility function for a piece of layout code we needed, it made me a little sad to have to tell him "that was nice, now delete it and replace it with a single call to List.chunkBySize".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I'm not a Clojure developer, but if I were to start a new database-backed project in Clojure I wouldn't skip the chance to use Datomic.

• Locked thread