Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

gonadic io posted:

Yeah, gloss for sure. It's so handy when doing exactly this kind of simple interactive 2D display that you want. I'm working in F# and I can't find anything like it, I really don't want to have to go all the way to UE4 :(

Something like OpenTK? I haven't used it, but it looks like a good library for doing graphics.

Linky: http://www.opentk.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

fart simpson posted:

A guy did a good talk at Strange Loop that I just watched where he gives a really high level description of what it's like to actually use Elm. I liked the talk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV0DXNB94NE

Nice talk, it reminds of my first experience using F#: If it compiles it runs without errors.

What a great feeling. I might have to try Elm.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

The picture of O'Reilly's JavaScript next to java script: The Good Parts made me lol

Me too, it is like 20% of the volume.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

I saw a talk once that talked about transforming OOP minded RFCs to Actor-Model architecture. Are there any resources that you know of that can help with translating OOP designed code to more of an actor based approach?

I find this part very hard.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MononcQc posted:

Do you have any specific RFC in mind?

Of the top of my head, the guy was talking about how you would implement a webserver in Erlang and instead of one process that handles the connections and kicks of threads you would have a process for every connection coming into the server.

Not in particular, no. I was just wondering about general guidelines.

I saw your talk, supervision trees look really nice.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

MononcQc posted:

Overall you can think of a large Erlang system of the way you could build a microservice architecture, but with all the apps living within one VM under a single memory space in a single runtime. There's huge benefits from having the proper isolation and architectural divide, but you don't have to pay the cost of the network overhead in most cases.

This also how I am imagining the system, so you could say the Erlang VM is kuburnetes? And a process is a docker instance?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Cool, I've watched some talks about Erlang and I think I got a good idea how it conceptually works.

What do you think of Elixir? It seems to have really gained some traction over the last couple of years. Especially with Phoenix.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
What I love about F#: If it compiles, it usually runs flawlessly.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Reading on in the book they are dealing with for loops and sequences but I'm planning to avoid for loops of any description because they're not functional right? And that does help, baka!

Meh, if it works it works. Don't get hung up on it, if it easier to understand use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

My one gripe with Clojure is the lack of an ORM, which is entirely because my SQL skills are relatively lacking. :negative:

Or write something like dapper for it. :) Good news: SQL skills are still relevant, even after all these years. And it does not seem to be going away anytime soon. So dig in!

• Locked thread