Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I had the money, I'd fly in for Hunt/Cain even if it lasted 20 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
http://uk.ufc.com/news/Jedrzejczyk-Penne-New-Berlin-Main-Event

Gustafsson/Teixeira is off due to injury, Joanna Champion now main eventing

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

We're probably gonna get Glover Bader 2, and the question I ask is: why

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bluedeanie posted:

We're probably gonna get Glover Bader 2, and the question I ask is: why

To establish a new #1 contender of course.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i'm not a fan of bader's standup, it always has the same punchline

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

Triticum Guzzler posted:

http://uk.ufc.com/news/Jedrzejczyk-Penne-New-Berlin-Main-Event

Gustafsson/Teixeira is off due to injury, Joanna Champion now main eventing

Joanna vs. Jessica Penne is going to be a massacre, surely? From what I remember Penne can't strike and can't wrestle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dr. Miracle posted:

Joanna vs. Jessica Penne is going to be a massacre, surely? From what I remember Penne can't strike and can't wrestle.

:ohdear: good thing that the good fighter is also the cool fighter

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Jessica Penne is good in the world of WMMA but she should get obliterated because Joanna is actually a fighter and not a crossfit model who trains MMA.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
I'm actually pretty excited for Jedrzejczyk vs. Penne. I think JJ will probably take it in the end, but Penne stanza chance if she can somehow pull guard. Definitely better than Bader versus Glover II

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
There's no way Joanna is going to let her get into any position to pull guard. Penne is going to get punched in the face a lot, I can't see her even lasting as long as Carla.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
This years injuries are already awful

was the gus card a ppv

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Penne lost a striking match to Carla Esparza so yeah, her only chance is to get it to the ground somehow.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Yuriy posted:

This years injuries are already awful

was the gus card a ppv

No, just a saturday afternoon (for the US) fight night.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Seems like this is set up perfectly for the UFC to promote Joanna Champion, because I don't see how she loses this. Its also a logical move for the UFC in Europe because they were really banking on this Berlin card to be a major success in Germany, and losing Gus hurts really badly. This is one of the only moves they could have made to salvage it.

If Joanna wins this one easily, then they can use her as a strong co-main to support a PPV later this year.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
it's okay you guys, nikita krylov fights on that card against another guy who has every win but 1 by first round KO

someone is going to die and i hope it's the brazilian

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Diego says he's moving to 145 and wants the belt. The people of the world rise, with one mind, and one voice to say: gently caress off diego

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think putting Joanna as the new main event for free is an upgrade from Gustafsson vs Teixeira.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Diego says he's moving to 145 and wants the belt. The people of the world rise, with one mind, and one voice to say: gently caress off diego

I don't have a problem with this because Diego Sanchez fights are almost always billed high on a card, which means more exposure for some featherweight that deserves it. And I would watch Guida vs Diego 2015.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Hey guys just back from watching riots for a week and can’t wait to take a break from seeing promising African American youth with all the potential in the world clash tragically against the criminal justice system with some good wholesome punch sports, now just to catch up on the latest oh my stars….

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bubba Smith posted:

I think putting Joanna as the new main event for free is an upgrade from Gustafsson vs Teixeira.

Yeah I love championship fights on Fight Night cards. Can't believe they moved Dillashaw/Barao 2 to a Fight Night card, thats got to at least get more buys that Demetrius Johnson on a PPV card.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I want him to get an immediate title shot. Do you remember the beating BJ put on him? Imagine what Aldo will do to him after he adopts a Breatharian diet to get down to 145.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah gently caress off diego

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Diego gonna get devoured by any random ufc featherweight.

In news regarding fighters much better than Diego Sanchez, just learned that Reza Madadi, last seen choking out Michael Johnson, got out of prison in March. Come back Reza!

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Sanchez recently agreed to a sponsorship opportunity with Instant Knockout Fat Burner and said that when he started using the product, he suddenly realized dropping to 145 pounds was a real possibility

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I'd most like to see a 145 lbs Diego Sanchez rematch a fat, totally inactive Kenny Florian, personally.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER.....space shuttle accident in the form of a weightclass move.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Sanchez recently agreed to a sponsorship opportunity with Instant Knockout Fat Burner and said that when he started using the product, he suddenly realized dropping to 145 pounds was a real possibility

I'm gonna assume this isn't a joke so if it is no one tell me

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Northjayhawk posted:

Seems like this is set up perfectly for the UFC to promote Joanna Champion, because I don't see how she loses this. Its also a logical move for the UFC in Europe because they were really banking on this Berlin card to be a major success in Germany, and losing Gus hurts really badly. This is one of the only moves they could have made to salvage it.

If Joanna wins this one easily, then they can use her as a strong co-main to support a PPV later this year.

It would be nice if the UFC let Joanna smash up some 115ers from TUF before they throw together a rematch with Gadelha. I know it was a split decision but Gadelha gets injured in training a lot and does a Nova Uniao weight cut which probably means her kidneys are in constant revolt. Building up a popular European fighter to exploit the market wouldn't be the worst business decision in the world. Especially after Aldo crushes McGregor into a fine paste later this year. :v:

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct
Remember when people thought strawweight was going to be the competitive women's division

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Panama Red posted:

Remember when people thought strawweight was going to be the competitive women's division

yeah :(

Seriously though, all it takes is a few memorable fights and it'll be just fine. As in stop booking model cosplayers and start booking facebreakers, Dana.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

coconono posted:

yeah :(

Seriously though, all it takes is a few memorable fights and it'll be just fine. As in stop booking model cosplayers and start booking facebreakers, Dana.

I think once Moroz and Markos work their way up the rankings enough they can both probably give Joanna a good fight. Also if Alexa Grasso gets signed thats a fight I'd love to see at Strawweight. I think as a women's division its definitely a lot more open than Bantamweight at least.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Panama Red posted:

Well, it probably is still more competitive than BW, in that it's at least conceivable that Joanna might lose at some point or even get taken beyond the first round.

I wonder if they thought at all about putting Maryna Moroz in there instead of Penne. Like yeah she would have been leapfrogging a bunch of people ahead of her in the queue, but it's probably a better style matchup and they could have capitalized on that little confrontation they had in Poland.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

I would but Torres or Markos in there before Moroz, even though that would probably be a good matchup. Torres is a dynamic striker. With Esparza having had her shot and Gadelha coming off an injury, Penne is the most logical option standings wise, just a terrible choice style wise. She's a great offensive grappler, it's sort of like Maia in that she will be known for one thing about her game, but just lacks the roundedness to excel. It would be funny of this ended up like Anderson/Maia tho. Praying Penne does what Cookie Monster couldn't

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Panama Red posted:

I would but Torres or Markos in there before Moroz, even though that would probably be a good matchup. Torres is a dynamic striker. With Esparza having had her shot and Gadelha coming off an injury, Penne is the most logical option standings wise, just a terrible choice style wise. She's a great offensive grappler, it's sort of like Maia in that she will be known for one thing about her game, but just lacks the roundedness to excel. It would be funny of this ended up like Anderson/Maia tho. Praying Penne does what Cookie Monster couldn't

What happened between Anderson and Maia?

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

EmmyOk posted:

A really funny and entertaining two rounds of Anderson being pretend terrified and three catastrophic rounds of Anderson being actually terrified

Pwny_Xpress
Nov 17, 2006

WEC Never Die
I'm suprised they didnt put Paige Van Zant in, maybe she needed more time after her last fight/Joanna wanted to fight sooner. I dont care, this is gonna be a wrecking, go Joanna Champion! LONG LIVE JOANNA CHAMPION!

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Pwny_Xpress posted:

I'm suprised they didnt put Paige Van Zant in, maybe she needed more time after her last fight/Joanna wanted to fight sooner. I dont care, this is gonna be a wrecking, go Joanna Champion! LONG LIVE JOANNA CHAMPION!

PVZ is nowhere near ready. They have said many times that they are taking it slow with her. She'll probably fight some other top-15 a couple times, than maybe a top-5. She's not close to a title shot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Northjayhawk posted:

PVZ is nowhere near ready. They have said many times that they are taking it slow with her. She'll probably fight some other top-15 a couple times, than maybe a top-5. She's not close to a title shot.

Yeah no way they throw their latest chosen face of the company to the wolves before they are ready. With McGregor he's got legitimate wins even if he hasn't been made to face a top flight wrestler. with PVZ she's had two great wins but against low end talent appropriate for her experience level.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

EmmyOk posted:

The first 2 rounds are Anderson clowning like he's never clowned before, and talking poo poo while embarrassing Maia and it's super entertaining. He even does a Machida impression at one point. Just turn it off after round 2, because the last 3 rounds are him doing absolutely nothing to the point the ref threatened to take a point for passivity.

Dana threatened to cut him if he ever did it again.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

gently caress off diego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

On the flip side, imagine the murdering Aldo would put on Diego.

• Locked thread