Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Xanax OD? Really dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Somewhat Heroic posted:

While I have not looked at the operating costs of the 997 it is probably out of my reach. For the last year however I have been planning my life out to get an E90 M3 sedan. The more time I spend looking at them the more I can see that they are perched at being an incredible value for an outstanding car. They also appear pretty robust for being lolGermanEngineering etc, even our resident german auto industry spy DasVolk will always spew positive things about it. Just yesterday I came across this thread while at work and it seems to have some pretty interesting info: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682601 I skipped through the beginning and started reading about page 28. For some reason people seem to be posting a lot about mileage. It is not a Prius, I don't get why people are shocked it gets crap fuel economy when you are driving the crap out of it.

:siren: Blipshift sale is going on right now. :siren: Bought a couple of tees for myself and the E30 M3 DTM tee for my 3yr old daughter :3:

If either of you don't buy an E9x M3 you will live to regret it. Unless you die soon. So I guess, glass half full?

As long as you blithely ignore the cost of gas... and tires.... and oil... it's really not that expensive a proposition. Granted, I'm old and have a clean driving record, but my insurance to cover a coupe was surprisingly only about $15 a year more than it was to insure my previous, not-an-M3-or-even-close-to-it MY 2005 automobile, which also had 4 doors.

What I'm saying is if you can afford the price of entry and can find one without any worrying maintenance deferral, you should really do it. This car owns and is a joy to drive in every situation, and you COULD die soon so don't go out wishing you'd had a stupidly expensive german sportscar and failed because it was ~*irresponsible*~ to enjoy yourself now and then. There's also the very-real situation that naturally aspirated V8 engines are rapidly becoming a thing of a bygone era so if you can convince yourself it's an "investment".. well, you probably could sell on in a year or two if you changed your mind about the expense for a very minor loss. I feel like these are going to retain value pretty well, it's only the higher mileage ones that are slipping below the same price they were 2-3 years ago.

I've read that high mileage thread on m3post as well, and as far as I can tell if you keep up the maintenance and don't have bad luck with rod bearings, this engine should last forever.

Obviously buying any new used car will come with a few things to deal with that the PO ignored or wasn't ready to spend on because he was selling - for instance - an oil change and a new battery (and the associated coding) cost me $650 a few weeks ago, and then 2 days later an original angel eye went out, which was $225 for a replacement set of two aftermarket ones.

Recalibrate your goalposts for ownership of a standard commodity like "a Car", and you too will be saying "I bet I CAN get 14mpg in this vehicle!" And then immediately turning off the traction control and chirping the tires going into 3rd gear at 65mph on your way to work.

Das Volk posted:

Five days.

:hf:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

New roadkill is outstanding, get on that poo poo if you ain't already.

2 1/2 months to new house ready. Preparedness level circa 0.8%

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

New roadkill is outstanding, get on that poo poo if you ain't already.

2 1/2 months to new house ready. Preparedness level circa 0.8%

All my friends are getting married, having kids and buying houses. And i'm just like "poo poo, i hope i get paid in time to put diesel in the van.."

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Do you want those things? Because I've a friend or two who seem to have followed that route "because you should", not because they want to. Not happy people.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Apparently I might be actually getting a loan and buying a house of my own sometime within the next few months. That's a weird feeling.

Also? Clearing out months worth of weeds / grass / plants with a gas powered weed wacker is the most satisfying thing ever. Now I am become Death, destroyer of weeds :black101:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Do you want those things? Because I've a friend or two who seem to have followed that route "because you should", not because they want to. Not happy people.

Honestly, no, i don't want any of them. But it would be nice to be able to afford at least one of them. (The house would top the list for me.)

I make excellent financial decisions..

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Since my NDA is gone and I no longer work for the company, would there be enough interest for me to start a thread about how certain automotive companies' chassis parts are built and the bullshit/hilarity ensued during the process?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Devyl posted:

Since my NDA is gone and I no longer work for the company, would there be enough interest for me to start a thread about how certain automotive companies' chassis parts are built and the bullshit/hilarity ensued during the process?

What are the odds I'm going to feel like I'm rolling around in a death trap?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Devyl posted:

DO IT.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Elmnt80 posted:

What are the odds I'm going to feel like I'm rolling around in a death trap?

Pretty good.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

It's the posts and testimonials like this that get me so excited for when I will get one. It's not an 'if', crap it's not even a 'when'. I won't consider a car an investment, they are definitely an expense, unless you consider it investing in life experience and quality of living. I know gas will be expensive, and tires, and brakes, and oil. Fortunately for me I only am putting like 6000 miles on a car in a year. I will have my old E36 to get me through crap weather too so any of those costs are really nominal on top of the fact I could afford those just fine. I also refuse to finance any car ever, otherwise I would be driving one now, so the occasional lights that go out or expenses are things just planned on when driving a sports sedan originally stickered at $70k+.

Re: house chat we are planning to finish our basement later this summer that will probably cost around $45-50 to finish, the house across the street is a 100% finished custom home and 1000 sqft more and currently for sale about $50k more than what our house can sell for. My wife is wanting to entertain the thought of moving because it would be more space and a nicer house, realistically it would only add ~10-15k more to our principle owed.

I don't want to move.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Best month.

To make it even better I'm going to Belle Isle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Pham Nuwen posted:

Xanax OD? Really dude?

Weird way to start out a page.

Mooseykins posted:

All my friends are getting married, having kids and buying houses. And i'm just like "poo poo, i hope i get paid in time to put diesel in the van.."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59r1KFPmT9U

Devyl posted:

Silly question. Of course you should.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Oh god this Roadkill is incredible.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MrChips posted:

It really was fantastic, I was laughing almost the whole time.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

This episode of RK is so absurd hahahahaha.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Devyl posted:

Please do.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Are otterbox cases still considered to be decent? Picked one up for the S5 on sale for $20, and a 32gb SD card on sale for $19.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
What a morning!

I was lined up to have the first sleepin in forever, but got woken up by having my toe swatted at by catte. Still i got two hours extra sleep. Can't argue.
Everyone else is sleeping in so I got to watch two episodes of Roadkill. That's the most of anything I've wanted to watch in many years. gently caress yeah. This is truly a high point. Probably means today is going to be even worse than normal but I'll take what I can get.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Are otterbox cases still considered to be decent? Picked one up for the S5 on sale for $20, and a 32gb SD card on sale for $19.

I like mine for my LG G3.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

They can be a little bulky but they're still nice.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
HOORAY HOORAY THE FIRST OF MAY! OUTDOOR SEX BEGINS TODAY!

Also please oh please oh God oh my Jesus dont let my Avalon valve cover gasket job fail and come back. I beg of you!

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 2, 2015

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Somewhat Heroic posted:

While I have not looked at the operating costs of the 997 it is probably out of my reach. For the last year however I have been planning my life out to get an E90 M3 sedan. The more time I spend looking at them the more I can see that they are perched at being an incredible value for an outstanding car. They also appear pretty robust for being lolGermanEngineering etc, even our resident german auto industry spy DasVolk will always spew positive things about it. Just yesterday I came across this thread while at work and it seems to have some pretty interesting info: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682601 I skipped through the beginning and started reading about page 28. For some reason people seem to be posting a lot about mileage. It is not a Prius, I don't get why people are shocked it gets crap fuel economy when you are driving the crap out of it.

:siren: Blipshift sale is going on right now. :siren: Bought a couple of tees for myself and the E30 M3 DTM tee for my 3yr old daughter :3:

Anecdotal, but I absolutely loved my M3's and my UK car (which was only delimited with a mild tune) would slowly walk my friend's PDK 997.2 C2S on the Autobahn. I left another friend's manual C2S for dead on the Nurburgring. Also I've owned three of them with no issue, which I can't say for the CTS-V, Viper, or Corvette.

Also just bought 4 shirts on Blipshift, including the rod knock one :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MrChips posted:

Roadkill is better than Top Gear.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Cat Terrist posted:

The fact that Mike not only used to work on lowriders but just had his secret love affair revealed makes this so amazing. I have always wanted one.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Good evening thread, I'm getting really drunk and yelling, "gently caress the m20, what a piece of poo poo, the Germans must've done a poo poo pile of coke in the 80s, why oh why can't you be a x5x"

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 2, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cat Terrist posted:

Roadkill is some ways better. The two normal guys are good together. I also have been watching dirt every day.

It's like redneck top gear.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
I went to the shelter to get some cattes and ended up with an Australian cattle dog that I've named Turbo. Things in the Goatse Guy household are tense right now, as Harry is not pleased with this development.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Good evening thread, I'm getting really drunk and yelling, "gently caress the m20, what a piece of poo poo, the Germans must've done a poo poo pile of coke in the 80s, why oh why can't you be a x5x"

Eh, it's not too terribly bad in there. I just hate actually mounting the loving waterpump and keeping the gasket in place. I just finished buttoning mine up for the third time in a few months. First time, aftermarket gasket did gently caress all and pissed coolant out straight away. Had to get to work the next day and it was my only car at the time and no one had a gasket, so I bought a tube of waterpump/thermostat RTV which...was messy and still dribbled, but it was enough to get me work until I got another vehicle. Now it's good with an OEM gasket which I should've just gotten in the first place. Replaced the oil pressure sensor too because I thought that's where my oil leak was coming from.

Turns out its pissing oil from the oil relief valve on the filter housing. :suicide:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

I went to the shelter to get some cattes and ended up with an Australian cattle dog that I've named Turbo. Things in the Goatse Guy household are tense right now, as Harry is not pleased with this development.

That's why a lot of shelters have a requirement for you to bring in your dog to meet the new one. Post pics.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

CharlesM posted:

That's why a lot of shelters have a requirement for you to bring in your dog to meet the new one. Post pics.

It took an entire bag of training treats, but Harry is cool now. They're both chilling in bed with me -- I've got Harry under one arm, and Turbo's head on the opposite shoulder.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Somewhat Heroic posted:

While I have not looked at the operating costs of the 997 it is probably out of my reach. For the last year however I have been planning my life out to get an E90 M3 sedan. The more time I spend looking at them the more I can see that they are perched at being an incredible value for an outstanding car. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=682601 I skipped through the beginning and started reading about page 28.

*cracks beer, sits down to start reading thead*

Ether Frenzy posted:

...If either of you don't buy an E9x M3 you will live to regret it.
...As long as you blithely ignore the cost of gas... and tires.... and oil... it's really not that expensive a proposition.
...you COULD die soon so don't go out wishing you'd had a stupidly expensive german sportscar and failed because it was ~*irresponsible*~ to enjoy yourself now and then
...There's also the very-real situation that naturally aspirated V8 engines are rapidly becoming a thing of a bygone era

Honey you need to understand... I could die soon, not knowing the sweet embrace of a crazy German NA V8 :)

Ether Frenzy posted:

Obviously buying any new used car will come with a few things to deal with that the PO ignored or wasn't ready to spend on because he was selling - for instance - an oil change and a new battery (and the associated coding) cost me $650 a few weeks ago, and then 2 days later an original angel eye went out, which was $225 for a replacement set of two aftermarket ones.

Recalibrate your goalposts for ownership of a standard commodity like "a Car", and you too will be saying "I bet I CAN get 14mpg in this vehicle!" And then immediately turning off the traction control and chirping the tires going into 3rd gear at 65mph on your way to work.

Real talk how the heck did you pay $650 for an oil change and a battery? I understand big engines require more oil so my beloved Royal Purple will need to be bought in higher quantities, but I don't know that I could deal with an overpriced dealership battery because I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat. The angel eye I could deal with since I understand parts are expensive.

Das Volk posted:

Anecdotal, but I absolutely loved my M3's and my UK car (which was only delimited with a mild tune) would slowly walk my friend's PDK 997.2 C2S on the Autobahn. I left another friend's manual C2S for dead on the Nurburgring. Also I've owned three of them with no issue, which I can't say for the CTS-V, Viper, or Corvette.

You owned three e9x M3s? Was it just over the course of the generation and/or moving around (I know you've hopped back and forth between the US and not). Ignore the question if you don't feel comfortable answering it though, I'd understand.

Re: the 997 v. e9x M3 my interest in them isn't simply straight line speed, handling or any one thing, it's the total package both provide. If I'm honest I'd probably prefer the sedan M3 so it can be my dad-mobile with two kiddy seats in the back.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pretty drat cute and obviously, much better than a catte

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you're dead to me

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Just found a really nice 540i touring on CL, left a deposit and it's going to get a PPI tomorrow, and if it's good, I'll have a 'new' slab of teutonic wheeled suffering car. Here's hoping that it goes better than my aborted project, although it's still going to be a little bit of one. The transmission is starting to shift a bit roughly, and I'm already looking at a manual swap. If I end up doing that, and then supercharge it a bit down the road, it might just be the ideal car for me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Terrible Robot posted:

If you go to a small subway right at lunchtime and order 10 loving complicated sandwiches, without calling ahead or anything, I really want to feed you the curb with my boot and then set you on fire. Just fyi

Someone walked in and ordered 9 pizzas today.

... then walked in 45 minutes later and ordered 9 more. No warning, didn't even call. My GM gets pissy if anyone drops more than a 5-8 pie order on us without at least an hours notice, since we ARE a small store (yet have the highest growth in the franchise), and prep accordingly. More than 10 and he'd prefer they order it the day before. Walking in and saying "hi I need 9 pizzas, all of them complicated specialty pizzas, and oh yeah can most of them be stuffed crust?" is a sure-fire way to piss him off.

Which lead to the GM running around like a chicken with its head cut off, then forgetting about the entire day's dough sitting in the proofer. When he remembered the dough.... holy crap I'd forgotten how bad his temper could get, in full earshot of said customer too, the proofer has several new dents in it. About $75 (our cost) of dough gone, a dumpster that's going to start looking like the dough boy from Ghostbusters overnight, and myself and the other morning driver having to re-prep all of it ASAFP.

... also put us about an hour behind on deliveries, since he didn't have a morning cook scheduled (don't usually need one on Friday mornings). I'm useless on the make line, but I can do everything else (phones, prep, cutting, cash, lobby, etc). Other opening driver can do the make line, but he was out on deliveries when jackwagon stopped in for the second time.

Stiffed 5 times today, just making it all the more better. Still walked out with $75, and I'll probably make at least that tomorrow (likely more, since I usually stay way past my end time on Saturdays - I'll stay as long as there's deliveries coming in).

Negromancer posted:

I would like to say thanks and gently caress you to who ever suggested watching The Other F Word in the last thread. Watched it with the fiance(who was big into punk back in HS when we met) and it was awesome, but I have spent way too much money on itunes buying stuff I haven't listened to in years.

You're welcome. :v:

It's really weird seeing all the guys I listened to in high school all grown up. Well, Fat Mike was already grown up long before I heard of NOFX.

I'm still into punk (with a side of hardcore, screamo, and 80s alternative/new wave), I just don't know what bands are current these days.

T1g4h posted:

Apparently I might be actually getting a loan and buying a house of my own sometime within the next few months. That's a weird feeling.

I'm hoping to own within 2-3 years; I don't really plan to rent again before then. I'm already less than 2 weeks from my first cert (A+, big whoop), Network+ will make me a little more employable, but I don't plan to start hitting up the job fairs the school offers until I have my third cert (I forget which one that is), and plan to follow through with all 7 that are included in tuition. Which means hopefully I'll be out of food service for good within 6 months. ALL of the bad poo poo from my credit will be gone by next April; the majority of it will be gone this year (most of that will be gone this month). According to both Credit Karma and Credit Sesame, my credit score has jumped 20 points this month.

Actually one neighborhood I deliver to is the kind I like, aside from being far from the city I want to live in. All the neighbors sitting on their front porches watching life go by, their dogs wandering between each house to get scratches, neighbors walking across the street to shoot the poo poo with each other with beers in hand, older houses that actually have real front porches. It's pretty common in the city I want to move to, if you stick to the older parts of town. gently caress this sterile subdivision poo poo I live in now where you might see a neighbor only when they're checking their mail, and where your neighbors call the city on you if your grass gets too tall. I LIKE knowing my neighbors, and I like bullshitting with them.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Real talk how the heck did you pay $650 for an oil change and a battery? I understand big engines require more oil so my beloved Royal Purple will need to be bought in higher quantities, but I don't know that I could deal with an overpriced dealership battery because I'm a stubborn rear end in a top hat. The angel eye I could deal with since I understand parts are expensive.

M3 oil is made of unicorn poo poo - 10w60, I believe. Not the easiest stuff to find, and they hold drat close to 10 quarts.

Probably used an OEM battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

I'm hoping to own within 2-3 years; I don't really plan to rent again before then. I'm already less than 2 weeks from my first cert (A+, big whoop), Network+ will make me a little more employable, but I don't plan to start hitting up the job fairs the school offers until I have my third cert (I forget which one that is), and plan to follow through with all 7 that are included in tuition.

I hope they aren't just selling you the pile of CompTIA certifications - they have like 17 of them and most are at best only worth getting your foot in the door when the hiring drones have been told "only call people with the following..."

• Locked thread