Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

T1g4h posted:

Fuuuck you, deer. Nothing quite like going for a late night drive on an empty 4 lane highway and having a loving deer dart out from the darkness while you're doing 60mph. Managed to slow down and swerve to dodge him, but it was close. Like, just missed his tail by less than a foot close. Super glad I have these Falkens right now, I'd have been hosed if I were still on my Bullitts with the worn out Kumhos.

I don't know if they 'saved my life' or not, but many years ago, I was far too lazy to change tires at events, so I tended to drive to/from autocross events on the R-comps. On the way back from one event, I was driving on the south side of Glacier Park up on Montana, and I came around a corner (probably more than a little bit too fast) to see a fair sized grizzly bear right in the middle of my lane. I did an evasive maneuver that I'm pretty damned sure would have never worked if I was on the normal street tires/rims, and just *barely* missed hitting that guy at almost 70mph. Goofy bear didn't even twitch, just watched me like it was no big deal. Yay for sticky tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

I'll make a junkyard run on my day off and see if I can find something that uses the same fog light bulbs (881/H11) so I can snag the pigtails Well poo poo, Dorman makes a replacement pigtail, and it's on Amazon for a whopping $8. So $16 + tax shipped, plus whatever it'll cost to get heat shrink crimps.

If you haven't bought them already/assuming you need two Amazon sells 5 pigtails for about $10 with Prime shipping.

I finally got around to replacing the foglight pigtails on my Focus with actual H11s to fit the Euro foglights rather than flipping the factory 899 plugs around to fit the H11 socket and used two of those. As far as I could tell they're quality units despite being from a no-name brand.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Great Beer posted:

Franchise delivery/carryout only, 30 hours a week so they don't have to provide benefits, 7.25 in store, 4.50 on road. They have car toppers but they don't fit correctly thanks to my cars sun roof so I don't have to use one. It's a small store in a crappy part of town too. I'm not expecting much but after 8 months of failing to get a job in my field I'm out of options. They're the only people who said yes that weren't scams. :/

My store does provide medical after 1 year (lol), but it's a hilariously crappy plan with a high deductible (my boss said it's a $6000 deductible). We also get vacation, but I never knew that until I put in my 2 weeks last year (and once you put in your 2 weeks, you lose your vacation automatically). Like taking vacation hours @ $7.25/hour would be worth it. I have my own insurance through the marketplace ($0 deductible), for less than what the company group health insurance would cost.

My franchise was originally supposed to kneecap everyone at 30 hours starting this year, but apparently they had enough backlash that they just found the shittiest group insurance they could get.

When I was at Papa John's, I got the same pay as you - 7.25/4.50. But $1.59 per delivery. I used to get $1.10 per delivery at the Hut, but when gas prices nosedived, they cut the delivery compensation (we still charge $2.50 for delivery, of course). Pretty sure Papa John's has followed suit.

I have the same problem with the car toppers - they're the new style ones that are meant to face one direction only (we have one older style one, but the magnets are chewed up to hell on it), and my sunroof takes up enough of the roof that only 4 of the 6 magnets will attach. My boss has talked about starting to use them (the franchise owner doesn't care one way or the other), and suggested I put it on my trunk. :laffo: Even if that didn't completely block my rear vision (steep rear window), the factory spoiler takes up enough of the trunk lid that there's no way it would work.

I haven't worked in a corporate Pizza Hut, but my boss has. He was telling me he tried to jump ship back to a corporate store since they pay more (at least for managers), but apparently managers have to quit for 6 months before they can move from franchise to corporate. He can't even afford to rent an apartment on what he's making (his wife got fired from Aldi about 2 weeks after coming back from maternity leave for bullshit reasons, they moved in with his parents).

Not sure about your store, but we cash out after every delivery at mine (some stores have lock boxes and have you cash out at the end of your shift, FMS [the computer system] can be configured either way) - so I wind up with all of my tips for the day on me (like today, I was walking around with nearly $100 on me at one point - I kept most of it in the car). If you're in a crappy area, make sure you keep less than :20bux: on you, leave the rest locked in your car. I've had someone try to rob me a couple of times (when I worked at PJ's), at PJ's if you had more than $20 on you when you got robbed you got fired immediately. There's some pretty sketchy areas that we deliver to, which makes me glad we don't use toppers.

After a couple of months, see if they'll let you transfer to a store in a better area. I always try to work in areas that at least have some rich parts of their delivery area (there's $1M+ houses in my area... and there's $75k houses).

Have you worked a shift yet? Curious if they actually have monitors/bump bars at each station like most stores, or if it's like mine where they still have a printer at each station (when an order comes in, either via phone, call center, or internet, the printers beep and spit out a ticket - a bump bar/monitor beeps and shows up to 10 orders at a time on a LCD display). My store is 25+ years old, we're supposedly finally getting monitors/bump bars in a few weeks. The place was wired for those to begin with (ethernet jacks all over the place + power outlets next to them), no idea why they never put any of that poo poo in.

Geoj posted:

If you haven't bought them already/assuming you need two Amazon sells 5 pigtails for about $10 with Prime shipping.

I finally got around to replacing the foglight pigtails on my Focus with actual H11s to fit the Euro foglights rather than flipping the factory 899 plugs around to fit the H11 socket and used two of those. As far as I could tell they're quality units despite being from a no-name brand.

Holy poo poo, thank you for that. No, I haven't ordered them yet, it'll be at least a few days before I can. The only thing I'm noticing is they don't differentiate between positive and negative, and I run HIDs in my fogs, and the ballasts are polarity-sensitive but I only use them on empty roads with nobody around, I turn them off as soon as I see another car.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 31, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goddamnit how did quote look so much like edit

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap I'm married.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Powershift posted:

No space between the steering wheel and console for your leg, right?

The steering wheel is off-center to the right. I had that same problem. I can drive it, but with the steering wheel rubbing my leg the whole time, couldn't really drive it in anger. There is a lip on the rear seat, so if you were looking to own one, you could realistically pull the back seat and move the seat rail back about 2 inches. Unfotunately, there doesn't look like there's any height to be taken out of the seat rail.

I would suggest you check out the new mustang though. they moved the handbrake lever back so it doesn't interfere with legroom anymore, and there's probably an inch and a half that can be taken out of the seat frame.

Yeah exactly. The bizarre thing is I can drive an MX-5, some pure luck combination of design means my knees fit perfectly into the gap behind the wheel. Thanks for the Mustang recommendation but I'm not really cross-shopping the two. :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

Congratulations, or condolences, as appropriate. :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

After a couple of months, see if they'll let you transfer to a store in a better area. I always try to work in areas that at least have some rich parts of their delivery area (there's $1M+ houses in my area... and there's $75k houses).

This is an area that considers a 75k house a luxury home. I should see if I still have the dash cam footage from my first drive out there. At least 15 cop cars responding to incidents within 2 miles and none of them were at the same location.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

Congratulations :)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Great Beer posted:

This is an area that considers a 75k house a luxury home. I should see if I still have the dash cam footage from my first drive out there. At least 15 cop cars responding to incidents within 2 miles and none of them were at the same location.

Yikes.

The only time I really see cops in my delivery area is when they're running speed traps. Which is pretty much always. I'd say about 1/3 of the tickets I've received since moving to DFW have been in that city, though it's been over 10 years since I got a ticket (and about 6 or 7 since I got pulled over).

It's amazing how fast my delivery area goes from "babby's starter home that's at least double the age of the owner" to "wide open farmland with a 7000 sq ft house and 8 car garage plus a workshop". Though my delivery area spans portions of 4 cities, plus some unincorporated areas/roads that are named "County Road ##". The ones where you call them to get directions since even Google Maps goes "the gently caress is this poo poo?", and you get the "well, go down <street name>, take a right at the tenth street after the last traffic light, then you'll turn left at the fifth mailbox after you've passed the second stop sign, go past the cow pasture, turn right on the second dirt road, and we're the 4th house down... we might be in the barn, just honk or call when you get here, and call if you get lost". :banjo:

Everyone in my store really hates the deliveries that take you out to the wide open areas - after all, it is at the far east edge of our area (while the store is only a mile from the far west edge) - but I really like those deliveries. Yeah, it's a long drive (~10-15 minutes each way), but I (usually) like driving down the 2 lane roads and just taking in the scenery, and it's honestly a really relaxing drive once you get outside of town. And the people out there are generally (but not always) grateful that someone will actually deliver out there.

There's one family in particular that orders pretty often that's at the far SE corner of our area - but they generally tip at least :10bux: (I got $15 last time, but it's generally a 30-35 minute round trip, and the house is on a dirt road). Part of the property would make much of AI jizz - they own a large landscaping company, and have a massive shop that's about the size of the house on the property, if not bigger (in addition to a 4 or 5 car garage attached to the house) - I guess they park all of their trucks there overnight? Supposedly the shop has lifts, HVAC, etc. I wouldn't want a house that big (I'd guess it's about 8k sq ft?), and I sure as hell wouldn't want the landscape upkeep, but I'll certainly take the shop.

There's another massive house that I deliver to occasionally - owners also own a landscaping company. I counted 5 buildings on the property last time I was out there, and about 15 vehicles (not counting trailers). I couldn't even figure out where the hell the driveway was, I'm assuming it was off of a dirt road nearby. That neighborhood is old enough that they still don't have city gas or sewer (that city dates back to the late 1800s, and that neighborhood dates to the 1950s or 1960s), and the streets are narrow enough that you can't park on the street, so delivering to them is always... interesting (I pull halfway into the ditch and throw on the hazards). I normally avoid parking in driveways unless it's a really narrow street.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

WE'VE LOST ANOTHER ONE GUYS

Congrats man. :glomp:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 31, 2015

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

After 7 years it was probably time for a new avatar.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had my aftermarket stereo in my car for nearly a year.

I finally used the CD player today. I think I may have used it once or twice at some point, but I honestly don't remember if I ever did. Holy crap, I forgot how much better actual CDs sound compared to MP3s. For that matter, I don't think I used the factory CD player that came with the car more than half a dozen times. For all l know it may still have a CD in it (actually I'm pretty sure it does, but it's sitting in the garage).

I've been wanting the latest Chunk! No, Captain Chunk! album for a bit. Could have (and should have) picked it up when I saw them live last time, but wanted a shirt more. On Amazon, the MP3 (I think theirs are 128kbps) and physical CD versions are the same price, so I went for the CD. Even though it means I have to wait a few days. It'll get ripped to my music collection of course, but I'm finally realizing just how lovely even 320kbps MP3s sound compared to uncompressed CDs, even though I'm drat near half deaf.

I think I'm going to start buying physical CDs again, instead of buying digital copies (or doing the :filez: bit). I need an adult. :ohdear: I'm also going to have to dig my ancient 90s CD changer out of the closet and hook it up for the first time in about 10 years. It was mostly functional last time I used it, it would occasionally go into "gently caress you" mode and open and close nonstop until it was unplugged. Just gotta find a power cord for it. And hopefully I can find the remote.

At least the album prior to this one (Pardon My French) is available for free streaming via Prime, so that can tide me over for a bit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

Lol congrats.

STR, does Amazon not give you the MP3 free when you buy the CD? They do in the UK.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I LIVE, I DIE, I LIVE AGAIN!

WITNESS ME!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Mooseykins posted:

Unfortunately i'm not self-employed. As i own my company and am the director, i'm an employee of the company. Which sucks for tax. Employers here must match employee National Insurace (healthcare) contributions @ 11%. So while everyone else pays 11% NI i pay 22%, as well as 20-something% income tax.

Well, i would if i paid myself, but i'm not quite there yet.

Your income tax system is hosed. Like.. whoa, that's messed up poo poo dude. I have to put myself on PAYE (Pay As You Earn) and pay my tax as i get paid, but whatever. Being self-employed before was easy as at the end of the year my accountant did number stuff and told me how much to pay the Inland Revenue and i just sent them the money. I was paying like £150/year income tax and £74/year National Insurance.

We have a different system with VAT, but it's all long and complicated. I don't charge VAT* so i can't reclaim it.

*Turnover of sub ~82k means you don't have to be VAT reg'd, so don't change and can't reclaim it. Above that turnover it's compulsory.

You need to speak to a proper accountant. Your company should be paying the tax, not you!

As a director you should be earning very little in wages as an employee so you end up paying bugger all NI and your earnings as an employee should end up within the personal tax allowance so you don't get hit for tax on it.

Also as director, you should pay yourself in dividends, which the company pays corporation tax on at 20%. You don't pay any personal tax on those if you are below the basic rate limits (~£32k)

VAT registration isn't that complicated. You could voluntarily register for it then you can do it as 'flat-rate'. (I'm just looking at doing this instead of the full VAT reg which my company currently has) - for IT stuff I could charge VAT at 20% on my invoices, but then only repay it at 14.5% and I wouldnt have to spend the effort putting it though on everything.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mooseykins posted:

Was the F1 GTR bright orange?

I was suprised at how small Veyrons are in person. I had imaged them as much bigger until i stood next to one in a dealer and it looked tiny. It was pearl white and looked awesome.

Nah it was a literal real fina race car.

It's the same with the laferraris and fxxr. They look bizarre and small and like a video game render has come to life. It's weird and I don't like it.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

Congrats man!

I photographed a wedding yesterday. It was..interesting.

...also everyone needs to watch Zombeavers on Netflix. It's magnificent.

angryhampster fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 31, 2015

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Powershift posted:

edit: checking the original order guide, the only roof color options in 69 were white or black. I think that roof would hurt it's value, putting it more into the "nice driver" category rather than "original survivor"

That, plus the hole where the automatic shifter should be, more wear on the back seats than the front seats and misaligned tailpipe point to recent-resto, so yeah, probably driver.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Holy crap I'm married.

Haha, awesome! Congratulations and welcome to the pain.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

You need to speak to a proper accountant. Your company should be paying the tax, not you!

As a director you should be earning very little in wages as an employee so you end up paying bugger all NI and your earnings as an employee should end up within the personal tax allowance so you don't get hit for tax on it.

Also as director, you should pay yourself in dividends, which the company pays corporation tax on at 20%. You don't pay any personal tax on those if you are below the basic rate limits (~£32k)

VAT registration isn't that complicated. You could voluntarily register for it then you can do it as 'flat-rate'. (I'm just looking at doing this instead of the full VAT reg which my company currently has) - for IT stuff I could charge VAT at 20% on my invoices, but then only repay it at 14.5% and I wouldnt have to spend the effort putting it though on everything.

I have a good accountant, just haven't sorted some poo poo out yet. Not sure how much long i'll be doing this if it doesn't improve, looking at current numbers.

My dad knows about all this stuff because he's been running companies for like 40 years.

Buuuuuuuuut he doesn't really talk to me much, and isn't talking to me at the moment.

Also, the company currently doesn't have enough money to pay me, and i've spent more on company poo poo than it has, so i won't be "paying" myself for a while anyway. I just want to clear my overdraft (~£2,000) as that's how i've funded the whole thing.

Bape Culture posted:

Nah it was a literal real fina race car.

:stare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Just saw Fury Road a second time, it's even better when the cinema don't mangle the audio mix and you can hear the dialogue. :toot:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

jammyozzy posted:

Just saw Fury Road a second time, it's even better when the cinema don't mangle the audio mix and you can hear the dialogue. :toot:

There was dialogue?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Went camping this weekend with the wife and kids. Had to help jump two fords off my jeep. We were walking around the campground and were stopped by some people in a 4 door wrangler. Que to my son telling them " That's a nice jeep. But my daddy works on there motors and tells me that there junk compared to the older version." The guy got butt hurt and just drove away. I love my four year old. Later we saw a guy driving around in an older Cherokee. He saw me jumping one of the fords of my WJ and stopped to talk. Everything was going well when my son walked up and tells the guy' That's a good jeep its got the good motor, Not like the new ones." The guy got the biggest smile and look of joy in his face. My four year old needs to stop hanging out with me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

There was dialogue?

I had a hard time understanding the dialogue, but figured it wasn't important.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Que to my son telling them " That's a nice jeep. But my daddy works on there motors and tells me that there junk compared to the older version." The guy got butt hurt and just drove away.

Gotta love the uncompromising honesty that children deliver.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I am ready to ride through the gates of Valhalla! WITNESS ME!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bajaha posted:

I am ready to ride through the gates of Valhalla! WITNESS ME!

Nice odometer. That attention to detail is appreciated and noticed in a quality avatar.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

Gotta love the uncompromising honesty that children deliver.

From listening to me talk crap about bro trucks and dousche nozzles with diesels he asks everyone we meet with a diesel what kind of work they need the truck for. It often ends with my son walking away shaking his head. He once asked a friend of mine why and he said "because I like it". To which my son was confused and said diesels are for work not fun. :3: I feel im making him wise beyond his years.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Our "old" house sold today, got a bidding war going and it sold for about 20% more than expected. No i really can stop stressing about having bought a too expensive house.

I also rode my bike today, and ended up in some sort of parade of pristine 60/70s muscle cars. There was a El Camino with a noise that made my balls tingle.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

CharlesM posted:

I had a hard time understanding the dialogue, but figured it wasn't important.

The dialogue is limited in Fury Road, but very good..particularly Nux's speaking parts.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

fjelltorsk posted:

I also rode my bike today, and ended up in some sort of parade of pristine 60/70s muscle cars. There was a El Camino with a noise that made my ball tingle.

Fixed :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryhampster posted:

The dialogue is limited in Fury Road, but very good..particularly Nux's speaking parts.

He really did get some of the best lines in the movie, and delivered them fantastically.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

This is why i love AI

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

fjelltorsk posted:

This is why i love AI

Only 1/2 as hard as some of us (sorry not sorry, I got beaten to fixing the balls/ball typo :P)

<edit> also major congrats on selling the old house at a premium. So nice when real estate goes for more than you hope!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

He really did get some of the best lines in the movie, and delivered them fantastically.

Ahh, it kind of sucks, I have a hard time understanding when there's a lot of noise in the background, which is why I suck at phone calls sometimes too

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was saving some loose cash to treat myself, I was going to get the massive lego technic crane set but I think I'll spend it on a bluray player and either a soundbar or a 5.1 system, just so I can enjoy fury road properly later on. I hear there going to be a black and white version and a dialogue-free version on the disk.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Holy crap. Am I supposed to be this tired after a wedding? I'm not hung over but I'm exhausted.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

WITNESS ME!

(Shoutouts to TerminalBlue in the Mad Max thread in CD)

e: Aww damnit, the font looked different in the preview :( Yay, fixt!

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 31, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Ahh, it kind of sucks, I have a hard time understanding when there's a lot of noise in the background, which is why I suck at phone calls sometimes too

The theater you saw it at must have had hosed up sound mixing, even in the hectic action scenes I didn't have much trouble hearing the lines, and I have the same hearing issue as you; background noise usually completely overrides my hearing and voices get lost easily.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The 3D showing I saw had hosed sound mixing. The 2D showing was as clear as a bell in both picture and sound. Beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Yeah, the first time I saw it Max's little monologue at the beginning and Nux's "Lovely Day!" lines were the only ones I caught, I know knew Furiosa and Immortant Joe's names from reading the thread in CD.

• Locked thread