Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Square
May 14, 2009

SuperDucky posted:

Good evening thread, I'm getting really drunk and yelling, "gently caress the m20, what a piece of poo poo, the Germans must've done a poo poo pile of coke in the 80s, why oh why can't you be a x5x"

Eh, it's not too terribly bad in there. I just hate actually mounting the loving waterpump and keeping the gasket in place. I just finished buttoning mine up for the third time in a few months. First time, aftermarket gasket did gently caress all and pissed coolant out straight away. Had to get to work the next day and it was my only car at the time and no one had a gasket, so I bought a tube of waterpump/thermostat RTV which...was messy and still dribbled, but it was enough to get me work until I got another vehicle. Now it's good with an OEM gasket which I should've just gotten in the first place. Replaced the oil pressure sensor too because I thought that's where my oil leak was coming from.

Turns out its pissing oil from the oil relief valve on the filter housing. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

gently caress YOOOUUUU E30 DIFF WHY WON'T YOU JUST GO IINNNN

T1g4h posted:

Yo, racing sim dudes, what would you guys suggest I get if I wanted a decent wheel to play DiRT Rally with? I'm picking up a GTX 970 + another 8GB of RAM in a few weeks, after that I think I'm gonna splurge on a nice wheel / pedal combo. I kinda want to get a Logitech G27 but I don't know if I can justify that $240 price. I mean, it looks loving rad and I really really really want it, but is there anything decent that's a bit less pricy?

Tool around on eBay. I idly browsed it between stuff at work for like barely two days, and I scored a Fanatec CSR and pedals for $230 I think, and I love it. I just missed the same wheel and pedals for $200 like fifteen minutes before that :mad:

But yeah, pretty much anything Fanatec and your Logitec G25's and G27's will do just fine.

Also, join iRacing and race with me pleeaseeeee

T-Square
May 14, 2009

kastein posted:

Time to have a pint of ben and jerrys for dinner because I was a dumbass and forgot to eat until after Five Guys closed, suck iiiiiit

(still 6'5", capable of picking up 400lb engines and walking off with them, don't remember what the inside of a gym looks like, and 210lbs +/- 10, like I have been for the last decade)

:smug:
:yosbutt:

5'7" 140lbs (probably closer to 135 actually) just bench pressed a diff into my car and held it up with one hand while I slid the rear mount bolt in because maneuvering it in with a jack was too difficult. :madmax::hf::madmax:

I still can't get it to line up to bolt the rest of it up :(

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Got the LSD fitted into the E30 and everything bolted and torqued up last night, and filled it up with fluid tonight. Texted my friend who sold it to me, because he never drained it, and when I did after I bolted it it, the fluid that was in it looked like it had precisely 0 miles on it. Lost my fluid pump though, tried to rig up a contraption, ended with stinky gear oil all over myself. Said gently caress it and went down the road and bought a lovely plastic fluid transfer pump. Found a screw in my rear tire when I took it off a few days ago, went to plug it, and couldn't find my tire plugs. Have to go buy a new kit tomorrow I guess, but if it test drives okay, I'm immediately ordering a set of Kosei K1's and some rubber.

Then moved on to the oil filter housing which was pissing oil out of the oil pressure relief valve/whatever its called. Threw a new seal and valve cover in there, and threw a new seal between the oil filter housing and block. Didn't throw in the washer/seal between the bolt and housing, because I couldn't remove the bolt from the housing without fear of breaking something. Didn't replace the seals for both of the oil cooler lines because Bavarian Autosport sent only one O-ring instead of two, but sent a separate package with an extra housing seal and washer. :whatthechrist:
Started it up though, and no leaks! New waterpump and gasket seem to be holding their coolant this time around too. Need to add a quart or two of oil, and probably change the gearbox oil as well. Excited to drop it off the jackstands tomorrow morning and see what else will go terribly wrong.

Oh yeah, also moving into my new digs tomorrow. Got a bitchin' loft apartment in a neat small historical downtown area. There's a bar ten feet to the right of the front entrance to my building, and a bar/restaurant ten feet to the left that makes awesome Bloody Mary's and breakfast. Also, like 6 other bars within walking distance.

Also, also. My dad went to a body shop down the street from our place to get some motorcycle bodywork sprayed, and noticed one of the guys was wearing an Austin Speed Shop shirt, said he looked super familiar. Turns out he was part-owner of the Austin Speed Shop with Jesse James, and eventually split and moved up to Wisconsin. He looked familiar because we checked out the shop a few years ago when we were down in Austin for the inaugural Formula 1 race and shot the poo poo with him for a while. Turns out his dad's owned the body shop up here for a while, and the guy does hot-rods out of there with some buddies. Small world.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Kosei K1's are great wheels, what tires are you going with? We've been running the Dunlop Direzza's for the past couple years but we're going to try to BFG Rivals for the next race, everyone seems to like them.

The first test drive after a project is always a little tense. E30's are loving tough though so you should be ok.

I miss living in the city within walking distance of bars, restaurants and anything else. I think that was one of the things I like the most about Hannover/Berlin, I could walk or take public transportation to everything. The upside is I save a poo poo load of money and don't have to deal with idiots most of the time.

I was looking at Direzza's actually, I'm planning on ordering off of TireRack, and those along with Yokohama S. Drive's are the only performance tires they have for the 15in K1's. The Direzza's are $12 cheaper per tire too.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

It seems the E30 passed the test drive. Lots of WTF looks from neighbors at the old loud German car with no hood driving by. There's just one problem:

...I can't bring myself to hit the 'Place Order' button on my wheels and tires. I just cant justify dropping $920. Is this what being an adult feels like? :(

I guess I'll just have to settle for lame all-seaons and finish stripping and painting my OEM 14" Basketweaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Finally have internet in my new place after like a frigging week and a half. Actually, it wasn't all that bad.

Also, N-thing Mad Max. Made two of my friends see it with me Sunday morning before we went back home from a weekend vacation, and we were all pretty much :aaaaa:

Another friend of mine lives out in Arizona and keeps trying to get me to get out there with him. Maybe now I will, I'll build me a Gigahorse and make home in a giant rock in the desert.

• Locked thread