Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

New roadkill is outstanding, get on that poo poo if you ain't already.

2 1/2 months to new house ready. Preparedness level circa 0.8%

All my friends are getting married, having kids and buying houses. And i'm just like "poo poo, i hope i get paid in time to put diesel in the van.."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Do you want those things? Because I've a friend or two who seem to have followed that route "because you should", not because they want to. Not happy people.

Honestly, no, i don't want any of them. But it would be nice to be able to afford at least one of them. (The house would top the list for me.)

I make excellent financial decisions..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Devyl posted:

Since my NDA is gone and I no longer work for the company, would there be enough interest for me to start a thread about how certain automotive companies' chassis parts are built and the bullshit/hilarity ensued during the process?

DO IT.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I've somehow avoided weight issues. 5'11" and 147lb, and i eat a lot. I can't put weight on, regardless of how much i eat.

Somehow seem to offset it with physical work, and 6:30am starts and not eating until 5-ish. Could do with more exercise, back strength in particular. But meh.. effort.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sigma X posted:

40% (around 1200) medical research and biology articles published in 2009 in a selection of over 18,000 journals were by US doctors. In fact, the US's output was 6 times higher than the next country down, Great Britain.

You also have 4.9 times the population of GB, so we're doing pretty good by comparasin. If we had equal populations you would've contributed 22% more than us for those numbers.

Socialized healthcare FTW. I having friends in the US paying loving thousands for health insurace, and then have to fight every step of the way over costs when they actually need it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tommychu posted:

gently caress garbage trucks. I'm literally 30 hours into this thing and I've only managed to get the tranny back 5 inches, through which I have to R&R the flywheel housing. I've barfed once so far, and I've still got about 5 pounds of rotting detritus to clear out before I can access all the (seized) bolts to get this thing off. And this is the only cabover I've seen that actually has less access to the powertrain than a conventional. The whole shop has become a soap opera as a result of this truck's presence, and I'm not even getting into the specifics of that because I'm still livid to the point of a meltdown about what's being said.
I really don't know how people work on these things every day.

Friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and told me similar stories over the years, although most of his work was plant equipment.

I remember one time he came back from replacing hydraulic hoses on a bulldozer that was on a landfill, said the bottom and bellypan was full of rotting poo poo and maggots. He and another guy stripped down bare at the site and were washed with hot water pressure washers before leaving.

He was pretty quiet that night, sat down in silence with an odd look on his face.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Motronic posted:

Years ago I had a winter job (was a landscaper at the time) working in a diesel shop. They did a lot of trash trucks, mostly walking floor trailers. Nothing I've ever done was nastier than working on those trailers, so I can only imagine how bad it would have been if it weren't so cold out when I worked on them.

I had to go to the local waste dump this week, the bastards there lined me up next to a loaded 40' walking floor, just as he opened the trailer doors and engaged his PTO.

I couldn't chuck poo poo out my van any faster, i couldn't wait to get out of there. You don't want to breathe that dust in..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I was working on the cranes at work today, which meant I was up and down 14m (height) stairs dozens of times, carrying half my bodyweight in gear, wearing a fall harness. I actually feel pretty good, it made me realise I don't enjoy running as exercise but I'm happy with activities that work me out.

So of course we had pizza for tea and we're killing a bottle of wine between us now watching Ecclestone Dr Who. We've a closing date for selling our old house, the final touches are being put to the new one, and it's highly probable it's be ours just when I'm working 10 hours for 26 days straight :yayclod: life is interesting.

Northerner spotted.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

E: born in Derby, lived there, Dublin, Bolton, Bradford. I'm from everywhere.

Yep, all North.

I would rather eat my own face than go to Bradford, let alone live there. I'm far too white to go there, it's like another country.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

As I'm as white as they come, the only problems I had was with BNP cunts.

I thought BNP had died, and with UKIP practically taking over their supporters. If UKIP had won (haha, as if..) i probably would've been on the first boat out, as i look like a Polish drug addict.

Love that UKIP and Greens got equal seats at 1 each, pair of jokes.

Cakefool posted:

Southerner.

*"loving Southern Fairy" i'll have you know.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

bandman posted:

I too am struggling with adulting.

It's honestly bullshit. I'm getting ready to actually be able to pay myself out of my company and fighting the urge to save it and not buy a stupid impractical eBay special car or something.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

Haha. What would you do if you had spent the last 5 years working hard and saving hard with the intention of paying off your mortgage but you hadn't paid it into the mortgage yet and had it all sitting in a savings account...

Couldn't tell you, i've had a savings account for 8 years and have never put a penny in to it.

As you can tell, i make excellent financial decisions.

I would seriously be better off if i wasn't allowed to handle my own money, i'm horrendously impulsive and irresponsible with it, despite being quite good at making it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CommieGIR posted:

Guys, if I don't like V8s, does that make me a bad car guy? :ohdear:

Oh, gently caress, don't know how to break this to you..

Umm, no, it doesn't. Well, i don't think so. Maybe? Possibly? Who knows..

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tomarse posted:

Spent a long day helping to try and finish clearing out a mates workshop unit, packing stuff onto pallets and skipping a lot more.

My haul for the day is a 10 year old SIP plasma cutter that seems to have a slightly buggered torch. Now I need to try and find a manual to see how much air I need to feed it and how much power it needs, and how I can buy a new torch.

Initial googling looks like it might pull more than 13A. In the UK all our plugs and sockets are rated at 13A, but a 240V ring main wired in 2.5mm^2 cable (as I have in my garage) should in theory have no trouble running a lot more than 13A if I put in the appropriate rated sockets? (such as some 16A/32A commando's)

Does it have a blue 16A plug? My welder has one but it would take a lot to pull 16A, so i run a converter and a standard 3-pin 13A plug and it never has an issue. (even @200A)

eBay is your best bet for torches, you may find the same machine exists under a different name too for a manual. Does it not tell you what i needs for air supply? Usually it will tell you PSI in, and it will use what it needs for airflow.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

88h88 posted:

My housemate enjoys talking about work. Whenever I get in he accosts me with work stories that are about as interesting as fingering your belly button. Like, I just don't care unless something cool has happened or someone nearly died or you dug up a treasure chest...

But no. I get to hear about him putting up lights in a warehouse pretty much every day for the next month or so it takes him to finish up.

Kill me now.

People ask me all the time about my work. I hold a steering wheel, sit in traffic and deliver wood flooring by the ton.

"You don't make it sound very interesting."

It isn't very interesting.

In other news, it's summer in London!

Rain, hail, thunder and lightning today.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

The one thing that really stood out for me about how totally insane and dangerous Group B was, is that on the cars they have the blood types next to driver's/co-driver's names:

:stare:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cat Terrist posted:

Not to piss on the Max Max blood bag vibe (Group B IS very Fury Road, isnt it?) blood types next to names was a FIA thing from the early 70's up to the 2000's. It was def not just a Goup B thing.

Oh.. :(

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

CornHolio posted:

I've seen one movie in 3D (Abe Lincoln, Vamp Hunter) and didn't like the 3D aspect of it. Seems gimmicky. Nothing I'd pay extra for, that's for sure.

Only movie i've ever seen in 3D was Tron: Legacy, at an IMAX 3D cinema. (not some fancy 3D tv.)

And ohhhh poo poo it was loving awesome. Honestly, in that movie it was mindblowing and just amazing. I would pay good money to see that in 3D again, so worth it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Super Aggro Crag posted:

No vacation time, sick days or paid holidays here. :(

4 months into running my own company.. Days off are like torture because day off = no work = no money.

I haven't paid myself yet either, living off the overdraft on my bank account.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Sigma X posted:

I know I don't know the whole story or nothin', really, but wouldn't it have been a lot more, uhm, financially responsible to save up some cash to start the business and live off of until your revenue projections forecasted you'd be able to live off it, rather than depending on what is a rather risky de-facto line of credit?

Yes, it would have been.

Except i lost my old job in early January, and what money i did have saved went into getting this business going and maintenance work on my van. (I'm a courier.) I could've got another job elsewhere, but managed to get in with a customer i'd previously dealt with that guaranteed somewhat stable regular work, and a start to getting my own company going. That wasn't an opportunity i wanted to miss, and it's paid off as i've taken a few thousand off them so far.

I'd much rather i had money saved up to live off, and i did, but it ran out. I've been working two jobs so it's not just accumulating, it gets paid off and then goes up, gets paid off, etc.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Tusen Takk posted:

Gluten sensitivity has been proved to be "special snowflake syndrome" in the last month I think

I don't know what gluten is.

Always hear people talking about stuff like proteins/carbohydrates/saturated fats/gluten/lactose/etc.

Don't have a loving clue..

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

He initially threatened my parking attendant who is black and that's when I got involved.

The local island cops would have told him to kick rocks.

Is the parking attendant called Rocks?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Elmnt80 posted:

I helped move somewhere in the range of 200-250 individual brake rotors today. I think I need to go take a nap now.

This is what a lot of my deliveries look like:

104 (usually 112) packs, 28lb/pack. They go in by hand, they come out by hand.

Taco Box posted:

I know STR will understand, but gently caress being stone cold sober at 5PM is boring as poo poo. I set a goal to not leave the house today and intentionally didn't have any booze in here and now I'm going stir crazy. It's so easy to relax and do nothing and giggle at poo poo when I've had a couple of pops. Please tell me it gets easier, because this feels pretty :mediocre:

About 10 years since i last drank.

Nope, it's pretty boring. Smoking weed helps but i haven't done that in a long time either.

Mooseykins fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 24, 2015

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

Haha I was thinking literal side shows like the bearded child and poo poo like that.

Somebody will get fed up and drive right the gently caress through that poo poo eventually.

Just needs one pissed off person with a gun and it's all going to end in tears.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

some texas redneck posted:

I might have to go back after seeing the bill :stonk:. I just looked at the patient portal, and my bill is finalized.

The hospital is in-network for my insurance. But none of the doctors I saw are, and my insurance doesn't pay a penny to out of network doctors, even in a hospital setting.

:911:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Jesus holy gently caress..

Wrar posted:

When I was in Europe last year I was surprised at the number of people who smoke, especially younger people.

You'd think they would, y'know, not, given how straight up terrible it is for you.

France especially, i swear the only people that don't smoke in France are a handful of tourists. They seem to start smoking at like 12.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

leica posted:

Gotta love the El Ray network, been watching old kung fu movies all day :v:

My tv doesn't work anymore. We're having a 3-day weekend here and it's killing me. Did a job for a friend on Saturday but i'm bored as gently caress.

It's bad enough i finish work most days between 1pm and 3pm, weekends are boring as poo poo. I wish i had enough work to do 7 days a week.

(Yes, i'm a really fun person.)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

InitialDave posted:

I don't even have a TV now. Haven't for a while, and didn't really watch much when I did.

Get yourself a project car or seven.

I want a project cars, but i'm broke as poo poo and don't have space. I have a car i don't even use, so don't really need another.

I'm going to buy a static caravan and go full pikey. gently caress paying hundreds a month/hundreds of thousands for some small place here.

I need to move to France.

kastein posted:

Europe is much more progressive and logical about this :smug::smug: wait gently caress. No they aren't.

Smoking rates and (surprise!) Emissions standards are two areas where we actually beat europe, in some cases by a huge margin.

Obviously we can have lower emissions standards because so many Europeans smoke and voluntarily inhale toxic poo poo!

The Locator posted:

This is purely speculation, as each charge has it's own "acceptable" billing rate and it probably varies between insurance companies, but I got a hospital bill that came to $23k. The insurance dropped it to about $4500 and then pays 80% after my deductible. I believe I had a $500 deductible at the time, some of which had already been met that year, so the insurance paid about $3k and I paid my max out of pocket for the year which was $1500.

Wait, what? You have insurance, you pay your deductible, and they still hold you liable for some percentage of the bill? Well how does that work, that totally defeats the entire point of having insurance.

Your healthcare system is hosed up. If i do ever move to the US like i want to, i'll be very glad to retain British citizenship so good ol' Blightly can pay for that poo poo.

14 INCH SLIT posted:

So a good buddy of mine thought he could try to make an offensive joke about my ex getting plowed by a literal train of guys at rehab yesterday, and was unable to believe that someone who laughs off everything ad jokes about everything like me actually had a line to cross.

Friends like these..

I've had the same with some (former) friends. I can say my ex is a crazy bitch, i know the whole story. They don't, not their place to talk poo poo. Also, like you said, clossing lines. Not cool.

Enourmo posted:

gently caress toxic friends, they're not really there for you, just for what you can give for them, and as soon as you dig your heels in and demand some equity they throw you under the loving bus or flat out turn violent because you're no longer kowtowing to their whims.

I learned that one the hard way.

Also gently caress anyone who refuses to apologize when confronted and accuse you of having thin skin, that's the surest sign of a piece of poo poo right there.

100% this.

In my experience no-one fucks you over like close friends.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cage posted:

God drat tim hortons. I need to figure out their cream/sugar system better. I order a large coffee yesterday with 1 cream and its tan as hell. I order the same thing today but with "half the amount of one cream" and it looks the same. Youre messing up my diet timmy hos! :argh:

I wonder how long it will be before the Canadian flag is changed from a maple leaf to the Tim Hortons logo?

They do a loving excellent chicken pannini. Last time i was in Canada i ate many of them.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

Get out to my car after work, flat tyre boo :(
All the kit I need is nearly laid out in the boot yay :)
Spare is low boo :(
There's a screw right in the middle of the tread, easily fixed yay :)
No, the inner sidewall is ruined and literally as stiff as a moist rag, it must have been going flat as I got into work. Boo :(

But they did have a matching one in stock, only £66 yay :( :homebrew:

I hope when you had to pay you whipped out your cash and made it rain.

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly if you want the best of both worlds, move to Oz or NZ. Oz especially is a nice even blend of the U.S. and British cultures with some unique flavours

I've looked into France, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

If i spoke French i would've move to France years ago, it's about a million times better than Grim Britain in every way except using kilometres and driving on the wrong side of the road. (crazy fools!)

Canada i looked into the most, and am still toying with the idea of moving there. I can get a working holiday visa, or get a visa as an eligible skilled worker (qaulified mechanic), orrrr i could marry my crazy ex and get in pretty easily. (Obviously not the best idea.)

Apparently i can't take my car or van with me to Australia, so that's a definite no for me. New Zealand, i dunno, don't know a great deal about it but it does look kinda awesome.

Ahh, who am i kidding? I'm too broke to move anywhere.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MustardFacial posted:

My wife moved with me back to Canada (lived in Leicester before), and now about 3 years later she says she loves Canada way more than lovely England.

I bet she does, it's loving grim here, with no prospects for a lot of people.

I'm just (still) in a position where i can't afford to change much, but hoping that my current business/job pays off enough in the next year or two that i can relocate to green pastures.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Siochain posted:

Legit offer - I can't promise a job, but I can get you names to throw resumes at if you want to work as a mechanic in the mining industry. This applies for anyone wanting to relocate to bumfuck nowhere (albeit beautiful) country in Ontario. Companies are always looking for qualified mechanics.

I'm qualified as a car mech though, not diesel/truck/equipment.

I knew a few people over there (Ontario and Saskatoon mostly) who've offered me stuff, but i've never had to money to even be able to send my stuff over and rent somewhere to get started.

I make terrible financial decisions.

But thank you, i may take you up on that offer some time. :)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Bape Culture posted:

I'm going to have a look round a f50 gt and a f1 gtr long tail on Friday. loving hell im going to burst.

Is that that orange one with the CIA 4 number plate? Longtails are the sexiest..

Tusen Takk posted:

My dad was able to bring one of his cars with him from the UK to Australia, but he had to do some sort of safety update to it iirc.

idk though, maybe times have changed.

Thing i read said it was to do with contamination, like the ban on bringing in plants. They're worried that our European cars will be diseased or something. Not really sure.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Fo3 posted:

Same, there's a few imports from the UK around here, mainly german or jags since they are a rip off here.
Years ago I knew someone who brought his XJS along with him so he could enjoy it with the cheaper cost of petrol. May have changed though.
May not be financially worth it though unless it's something special.
Edit: you will have to convert your speedo to km/hr.

Oh, interesting. The cost of moving a vehicle (If it has to be shipped) Is expensive to go anywhere, although Canada's import tax is actually quite fair and reasonable.

Neither vehicle is particularly special to anyone but me, it's sentimental value.

Car has speedo in both MPH and KPH, van has MPH dial and KPH digital readout.

I really want to buy two of these LED light bars, and have wanted to for months but am just sensible enough to not blow money on them. :(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281343643816?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cat Terrist posted:

Sorry but that's like someone claiming Fosters is drinkable.

Well it must be! Bear Grylls is always drinking piss and he seems to survive. :colbert:

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Then left her phone number in the bag.

And then...?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Threw that poo poo away so that my now wife/then girlfriend didn't murder me in my sleep.

Oh, fair enough.

That stuff never happened to me when i was a mech. :(

Something about having the looks and personality of a Polish drug addict i guess. (Which i'm not, it's just coincidence.)

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MomJeans420 posted:

Surely someone in here is as spergy with boxers as I am. For a long time I'd always buy Target's Merona brand boxers, they cover the waistband with the same material as the rest of the boxer and it ends up being really comfortable. They're also not woven cotton boxers, I'm not sure what you call it but it feels more like a t-shirt than the weird woven feel. I haven't been able to find the same kind of Merona boxers at Target anymore, the ones online are different, and it's time to order a bunch more. What's the most comfortable boxer out there right now?

I have GAP ones, they're definitely not like t-shirt material but they're good and they're comfy.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

MrChips posted:

I just wear the frilliest panties you can buy from Victoria's Secret

Truck driver spotted.

Snap-on (the tool company) make great socks. I thought they were a gimmick for ages and didn't believe they'd actually be that good, but they are. They're more comfortable and far more hard wearing than any others i've tried.

I even have nice pink ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Powershift posted:

And only $49 a pair!

It's the price you pay to look the part! The sign of a true mechanic! :v:

They're actually surprisingly cheap, probably the cheapest thing you can buy from them. Y'know, since you can practically take out a mortgage on a toolbox.

• Locked thread