Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

I went to the shelter to get some cattes and ended up with an Australian cattle dog that I've named Turbo. Things in the Goatse Guy household are tense right now, as Harry is not pleased with this development.

That's why a lot of shelters have a requirement for you to bring in your dog to meet the new one. Post pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

M3 oil is made of unicorn poo poo - 10w60, I believe. Not the easiest stuff to find, and they hold drat close to 10 quarts.

Probably used an OEM battery.

You need to recalibrate the computer when you change the battery. I don't remember the supposed reason; something to do with alternator output or whatever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tide posted:

Today has been an awesome day.

No work. No work on the house, really for my first real day off in what seems like 6 months. Not that I don't have an anything to do (so much is still in boxes or whatever). But today I MADE myself not do anything but spend time with my son. So...

Today has been nothing but me and the kid day. Got up, loaded up the boat, went to waffle house for breakfast. We went fishing (caught a boat load of bass and brim). Seriously it seemed like every other cast was fish on. Got some much needed sun. Bought a bunch of goodies from a farmers market. Grilled and fried said fish. Played some basketball, threw the football, played some plants vs zombies on the ps4.

Even more importantly was simply having quality time with my son. Needed it, big time. I think he needed it too. I was sitting on the couch, he came up out of the blue and gave me the biggest hug and said thanks for taking him fishing, thanks for a great time, hope you had a great birthday, and I love you.

In tears writing it and thinking about it.
Keep it up Dad.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Check out Johnny Depp's new movie trailer for Black Mass :stare:

https://youtu.be/CE3e3hGF2jc

What's the name of the guy with the family secret recipe?

Edit: David Harbour

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That too. I looked it up. David Harbour

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Slow is Fast posted:

Happy monday!

Friend who I helped find a safe reliable car for just had the front end cleaved off by an uninsured drunk driver :toot:

Car was parked on a main street, police left a note on her car.

She has comprehensive and it's getting towed to a good shop, just is very lovely.

edit: AAA just picked it up. front toe is bad, gonna need a control arm or tie rods + alignment, 300+ dollars just got stacked on.

Not what I ever want to wake up to. Looks very fixable to my untrained eye.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

I got a flat tire on the very top of that bridge in the middle of the night and it was not fun, especially for my wife. Luckily it was right near one of the emergency phones, then a state trooper was there pretty quick with a nice aluminum floor jack and lug wrench and I was outta there pretty quick. The wall was about waist high and I peered over it a few times.....Spooky loving poo poo.

The guy was lucky though...could easily have been fatal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

I keep replaying the soundtrack from Interstellar, the Detach scene. Honestly, its the first movie soundtrack I've really heard where organs are used in almost every scene.

It's good. I got the Illuminated Star Projection Edition. I'm a nerd.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMOyURq9os

Oh hey look, another dumb reboot. Can't wait to see this one bomb :v:

It doesn't look like a reboot, looks like it's the kids of the originals. And, their car is a Toyota Previa.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

Doesn't make it any less terribad. Glory holes and sewage bathing, so edgy and funny!

Don't worry, I'm not going to see it. :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

:)

(But seriously, gently caress the Religious Right, loving homophones and hypocritcal assholes. They wouldnt know the real Jesus if He came back and called them Pharasees to their face)

I think those that preach hate are all hiding their own inadequacies and sins. They're all hypocrites. None of us are perfect. I think faith or beliefs should just be about trying to be the best person you can while understanding who you are.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tommychu posted:

BP is a 1.8. But yeah they had a stupid kick and put that awful Z5 in everything for a while. The Z5 is still basically a B engine but with a few tweaks to make it cheaper and a head that was choked down like a malaise-era Olds 307.

Supposedly they like to burn valves too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

On the subject of playing adult, my attempts are finally paying off. I'll be debt free in a few months except for my mortgage, and I'm refinancing that into a 15 year at 3.125% so I can really grow the equity. I should have at least $100k equity for a down payment on my next place within 5 years, and if I decide not to move I can pay this place off in ten. It's tiny but that means it's easy to maintain. I've already replaced my washer/dryer, water heater, and a/c so next comes the furnace, possibly a new bathtub (at least caulk and tile) and maybe fridge/dishwasher/stove. Maybe another water heater but they're not that expensive if you DIY which I do of course.

Why another water heater?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

The escaping a black hole via a Hohmann transfer is not realistic. No amount of energy is going to get you out of the grips of the black hole, unless you are the size of a star. The first planet: it would've been pretty obvious that you do NOT want to land there from orbit, the waves would've been evident from space, even more, the physicists could've predicted them with ease, you really don't want to land on a planet of water that has some massive gravitational sink next to it. Surviving a black hole.....its really hard to say, chances are nothing can survive it, Cooper would've died, but for the story at least the black hole has been 'modified' by future humans to allow for the scene where he tells his daughter the data.

As for the ships: They are actually pretty realistic, even the engine technology is currently under development, and the Rangers are designed around a lifting body concept, one we test a lot during the Cold War. The most humbling part of the whole movie is the end, because a scenario like what Cooper and Murphey experience is a realistic even if we ever perfect traveling near the speed of light. That could actually happen

I wonder if the Kip Thorne book would explain things to your satisfaction? It's called "The Science of Interstellar" and it's by a prominent physicist. He was an executive producer of the movie. I haven't read it though. Physics won't explain the characters acting stupid of course; you have to accept it is just a story.

This is my favorite movie though. I'm glad my friend told me to go see it in 70mm IMAX, I don't usually get into movies much.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I did the 48 hour rental through Amazon, have a feeling I'll be watching it again tomorrow afternoon or the day after. It's funny I used to give my Dad poo poo for getting emotional at movies...now I get emotional as hell at movies. This one really got me.

If you watch it I recommend the Bluray if possible. I don't think the streaming copies have the full-frame in the IMAX scenes. The Vudu one doesn't, at least.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The nasty part is it's in the attic... directly above my bedroom door. At least it's right by the pull-down stairs for the attic, but that's just a recipe for disaster if it has more than a slight leak (it has a catch pan that drains via gravity outside, but that could get overwhelmed easily if it ruptured). And the "plumbers" who replaced it last time made a mess of everything they used solder on. I'd never seen HVAC or water heaters in attics until I moved to DFW, they've always been in a hall closet or garage everywhere else I've lived..

That's just weird and I don't think that'd be legal anywhere I have lived. If you replace it and have to keep it there I would see if there's a tankless water heater that matches the performance. As long as you don't have to do that thing where you adjust the pressure. I doubt American models make you do that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Unfortunately, our gas service won't support a tankless without a lot of work. :(

What does it need? Just curious. I don't know much about this kind of stuff. My experience is having one in a European apartment, where it was nice to have it mounted high up and out of the way, not taking up valuable space in the bathroom :P. You couldn't (or shouldn't) do that with a conventional one because it's a safety hazard and of course they're much larger and heavier. I remember with some of the older units you had to look at the gauges and mess with either the water or gas pressure. I don't really remember because I didn't use that apartment much. If you had to do that obviously you couldn't have it in the attic.

edit: the name of the heater was Junkers. Funny name, although they made planes for Germany in WW2.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 11, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

From what I understand, we'd have to run a larger pipe into the house. And the gas service entrance is diagonally across the house from the water heater, with no attic access in portions, so it would be pretty painful in terms of cost.

Ohhh I understand, because you're heating it all at once instead of slowly. Duh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Previa_fun posted:

I was super excited about checking out the new Mazda3s today until I realized that unless you shell out for the top two packages you get a center mounted analog speedo and a tiny lovely digital tach.

I realize how nitpicky that is but gently caress if I've not completely lost interest. :unsmith:

Is the new Mazda2 not coming to the US?

Good question. You can at least get it as a Toyota. Or it probably is a Scion. I forgot what it's called.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah, it's not ideal, but it does respond quickly. That said I couldn't stand the Civic's dash for more than the week I had one as a rental; the split arrangement is just too wonky for me. They got the CR-V just fine though, analog across the board.

And yeah, the Sonic's dashboard is a slick little setup. Shame the rest of the car probably isn't all that good.

I was pretty pleasantly surprised with the Sonic I had as a rental a couple of years ago. It seemed good. The only complaint I had was that my knee hit the key and it shut the car off, including the lights on a very dark road. Turns out that's not an isolated issue...

Oh, the alignment was off, but it's a rental so whose fault is that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
AI meet in Norway

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmiander posted:

How do foreign citizens get handled when injured in a country with government run "free" health care? Do they just get a $0 invoice and sent on their way, or do they get billed and somehow held responsible for it in their home country?

Visiting the Czech Republic from a non-EU country you need to have an insurance plan that will cover you or else you pay out of pocket. I don't know if that really means you're going to be stuck with a hospital bill though. Probably not.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

Basic care and maintenance helps prevent a lot of the more expensive problems from showing up, same as a car. And doing the work on it yourself easily brings it into affordable range.

I thought this was another healthcare post for a second.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Hydrogen peroxide is not good for treating wounds

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wish they had it on the laser projection IMAX here. I think it's showing Avengers 2 which I don't care about. They still have it in their smaller theater though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I finally gave in an bought GTA V PC, it's probably going to take a while to download. It's taking a few minutes just to allocate disk space. Yikes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Welp just got back from my third viewing of Mad Max, and I'm still noticing things I didn't see on the other two visits, and things I never would have even registered had I not binge read the entire GBS and CD threads to prepare for number 3

Where are you seeing it? I was thinking of seeing it at the Pacific Science Center, but it's in their smaller theater. Still good I think.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna see the movie Monday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Geirskogul posted:

Fuuuuck why did I buy a Steel Battalion controller? I'm on deployment and can't even use it for months. Really want to set it up for KSP.

Wow I looked that up and it's quite a controller (well, 3 controllers really?). Would probably be great for Mechwarrior 2 and other asperger friendly stuff like flight sims. I presume there are drivers for it?

Wally Joyner posted:

The mugshot of 2 guys with gold paint all over their mouths is what I thought of during the movie, but I totally forgot about chrome-tooth there.

I see a guy passed out in the park with paint all over him pretty frequently. :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
What was the point of that movie. Uhhhhh what are you guys smoking? Inhaling chrome?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Heh, scooter-selling guy just called me. He has to keep the bike for two more weeks and says hell drop the price slightly if I can wait. The reason? He went to take his driver's exam and failed the written and the road course.

You get to take the road course even if you failed the written test?

Also, I was just trolling. I liked the movie. The 3D was good too. I just hate that it's basically 12FPS or whatever. I wish it was on the new laser projection IMAX. That would be cool.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gileadexile posted:

Gonna try posting this with the new app..hope I don't break tables again.

Got that last Friday. I was behind a late '90s Blazer with a dent in the lower left rear bumper. At no time did I ever go over 30.

Thankfully it's just a warning, but I still feel cheesed off anyway.

I was stopped, very literally, on the street that my home site is on. Just felt very arbitrary to me, I KNOW I wasn't speeding.

Fume over.

In other news, Fury Road is tits, I bought new pads and rotors along with a set of 6 ton jackstands and we're supposed to have a clear weekend. Life could be worse.

West Virginia, so multicultural.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

$5 I think? Only one person needs to specifically buy it - old title images never get cleaned out, but when you're adding img-tags to your title, it only accepts SA-hosted images.

Can you just upload an attachment?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Yup, when I saw it on Saturday the listed show time was 10:10. Sat down at 10:22 and still had to watch 5 minutes of commercials before the movie started.

I only saw an ad for a documentary on airplanes narrated by Harrison Ford.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Annnnd more rain. Heavy rain at that, I can't even see my car from my bedroom window. And I'm pretty loving sure something very, very close just took a direct hit. Incredibly loud BOOM and my lights got really bright + UPS switched to battery for a few seconds. Underground power too, except for the 7.2kv feeders into the neighborhood.

e: just noticed a funny smell, one of the CFLs in my ceiling fan let the magic smoke out. Guess it didn't like that surge.

For those who are praying for rain, doing rain dances, casting spells asking for rain... YOU CAN STOP NOW. Or you can move to California, they need it a lot more than we do now.

Tusen, grats on the upcoming money pit house! Were I to buy a house today, that's about the size I'd want... plus the two garages sound awesome.

Nothing wrong with well water either. Depending where you are, it sometimes tastes better than city water. You'll just need to remember there's no fluoride in it.

Let's exchange the oil pipeline bill for a water pipeline bill.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Goddamn, it's been hours since this happened, and I'm still pissed about it. Had a delivery way out to the sticks, was on a 2 lane road. Came around a turn and OH gently caress WHY IS THERE A loving VAN COMING AT ME HEAD ON IN MY LANE.

rear end in a top hat didn't even make an attempt to swerve, so it was hit him head on or go for the ditch. Went for the ditch. Of course, he kept going, and I wound up stuck in the ditch. Ripped off the front air dam, all of the plastic on the bottom of the car is hanging down, and ripped the fog light wiring up as well. :fuckoff:

Thankfully someone that drove by a few minutes later had a tow strap and pulled me out. :unsmith: I have all the pieces, I'm hoping the plastic clips just got broken. Definitely going to have to splice in new plugs for the fog lights though.

Dashcam?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

There was dialogue?

I had a hard time understanding the dialogue, but figured it wasn't important.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

He really did get some of the best lines in the movie, and delivered them fantastically.

Ahh, it kind of sucks, I have a hard time understanding when there's a lot of noise in the background, which is why I suck at phone calls sometimes too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

The theater you saw it at must have had hosed up sound mixing, even in the hectic action scenes I didn't have much trouble hearing the lines, and I have the same hearing issue as you; background noise usually completely overrides my hearing and voices get lost easily.

14" mentioned he liked the sound mix at another theater better.

Ah well. now I'm off to see Humpback Whales 3d on the new laser IMAX and then living in the age of flight. :q:

• Locked thread