Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Mikagura School Suite is an anime about Eruna, a super energetic and super gay girl with magic powers attending magic high school. The show is carried entirely by her and her energy, so if you enjoy that, you'll probably enjoy the show. I do.

She's the middle one here. She has a crush on Seisa, the one on our right. Seisa is a refined ojou-sama and has both a ~mysterious past~ and mismatched legwear. The lefterly one has so far only appeared in the OP, but I suspect she'll be joining in whatever club Eruna makes along with Seisa.

There are many other characters who have names but aren't particularly important except to be moe and occasionally fight with magic high school powers. Others may remember them if they wish.

It's streaming on Funimation, so you should suck it up and watch it on their mediocre player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Eruna owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show is dumb and I enjoy it. I want to say that fights are quite decently animated but they're not, they just have enough energy to fake it, which is pretty much the show in a nutshell.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

This show is dumb and I enjoy it. I want to say that fights are quite decently animated but they're not, they just have enough energy to fake it, which is pretty much the show in a nutshell.

The only way I can describe the show is that it's fascinatingly average. It's like someone's holding a tiller on the writers to keep it from getting outright interesting, and throwing Eruna at any point it might get too boring :munch:.

Eruna is pretty much the life of the show and is great fun :allears:.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

they are definitely well animated the art just isn't corrected.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What does 'corrected' mean in this context? I'm not really up on actual animation terms.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Sakurazuka posted:

What does 'corrected' mean in this context? I'm not really up on actual animation terms.

It means that they're rough drawings that the animation director probably didn't have time to fix to make them look like they should.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This girl ain't right.

Show would be insanely boring with a generic male MC though so that's fine.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
I approve of yes cantaloupe's av

note to the writers of mikagura school suite: it is not a good strategy to demonstrate in your op and ed that your main character's entire motivation is a foregone conclusion and she'll inevitably be paired off with someone who has not even appeared as of episode 3

Lestaki
Nov 6, 2009
My hope is that the lilac-haired girl will never appear outside the opening for the sheer absurdity of the thing.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
It's interesting to watch a show that's so totally dependent on one character to be entertaining at all. If that character wasn't the main character, and instead some relatively minor character who doesn't show up that much, I doubt this show would have shown up on anyone's radar. As long as Eruna stays like she is, I definitely see myself turning in every week.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What bugs me with the show is there's no bigger picture to it (save for the flying cat). With most other similar shows, there's a big magical/supernatural world and the education makes sense in the long-term for preparing the students for a life in it. Here they just have powers and fight for their club's standing because...:shrug:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Maybe it has something to do with Seisa's inevitable tragic backstory? I noticed the lack of purpose too, but it's in line with the show's general lack of substance.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hahaha, this is great. Not great as in high quality but great as in fun. It's kinda dumb and silly but it manages to hit the right type and amount of it for me to enjoy watching it. :shobon:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What bugs me with the show is there's no bigger picture to it (save for the flying cat). With most other similar shows, there's a big magical/supernatural world and the education makes sense in the long-term for preparing the students for a life in it. Here they just have powers and fight for their club's standing because...:shrug:
Yeah, but it does kinda fit with that the main character doesn't have a clue as to why. Maybe something will be revealed later on. Or not.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
This looks like a Studio Musani show in real life

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

This show is deviant art as gently caress

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Is there going to be kissing?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wouldn't bet on it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Eruna is still a ton of fun. I would prefer if the show were more the first three quarters of the episode and less the last. It's good to see Seisa getting bits of personality.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
I was more glad to see Eruna's infectious optimism and energy is starting to get to Seisa.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut
Haven't watched e5 yet, but this show sure has its strong points.

It's nice to get a female lead who knows what she wants and is shameless about it.

It took me a couple episodes to realize what was going on in the opening bits of episode 1 (Seisa's senpai trying to murder her, then Seisa unintentionally killing (?) senpai with Killing Art in self defense). Seems like the show at least has some interesting places to go even if it never has stakes.

Aside from being goofy and perverse and uninhibited, it's nice that they rounded out Eruna's character a little. She's capable and clever and willing to learn from other people. Before she awakens during the first fight, she does the sort of stuff you'd expect from a character like Toru from Chaika. When she gets her rear end handed to her she takes it in stride. The way everyone in the cast treats her like total garbage and thinks she's a moron helps amplify the contrast - it feels like a slightly more intelligent version of the usual 'hero's youthful spirit triumphs over everything' structure for these shows.

Lilac-haired girl seems like she just exists to provide a counterpoint to Seisa. I mean, with a heroine like this it's only natural to make it into some sort of depraved lesbian harem, right?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Um excuse me it's not depraved it's tax--deductible, and also pure?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Insurrectionist posted:

Um excuse me it's not depraved it's tax--deductible, and also pure?

Nothing Eruna does can be considered even close to pure. Though I have one complaint from the latest episode; Bimii didnt do his job and keep carrying the Takoyakii afrer a single scene. You had one job! :colbert:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
PACING

*wins a fight*

*immediately after loses the tournament from an offscreen fight*

And involving another main character, you'd think that's the kind of development you normally show your viewers!

Oh look lavender haired girl finally, she sure looks excited, it only took half of the show's runtime now how in the hell is she going to get her way in the otp

(answer: she's probably the first other lesbian in the show judging by eruna's non-existent standards)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Yup, this show is dumb, and oddly-paced, and fun. I hope that Eruna continues to solve her and everyone around her's problems with enthusiasm and nothing else.

I love her club.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The pacing is really weird.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
see we all made the mistake of assuming the sole actual plotline of this anime would not abruptly rocket through the last two thirds of its content and conclude halfway through the show's runtime

a common mistake, we should all re-establish our expectations

so i think when the next gundam comes out its safe to say all the gundam stuff will be done like episode 7? and they'll spend the rest of the show playing baseball and stuff

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So is this show actually worth watching or no? I've still only seen the first episode.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

do you like gay girls?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

So is this show actually worth watching or no? I've still only seen the first episode.

If you're not entertained by Eruna's antics, drop the show. She's pretty much the only good thing in the show that isn't the most average, average middle-of-the-road it can possibly be.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

chumbler posted:

Worse than Mekakucity Actors, it doesn't even have song covers from the Vocaloid series it's based off of.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

On the other hand it has a fun main character and is often amusing and I don't give a poo poo about vocaloids or whatever.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Eruna is a fun character, but I wonder if she can carry the show for it's full length.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gyra_Solune posted:

PACING

*wins a fight*

And involving another main character, you'd think that's the kind of development you normally show your viewers!

Oh look lavender haired girl finally, she sure looks excited, it only took half of the show's runtime now how in the hell is she going to get her way in the otp

(answer: she's probably the first other lesbian in the show judging by eruna's non-existent standards)

Wait, this show's only a 1-cour job? With it's slow pacing I thought it was a two-cour job :psyduck:.

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Gyra_Solune posted:

PACING

*wins a fight*

Honestly, that's the right way to pace this show. It's more about the character interactions than the fights (although the fights aren't bad) and if they want to tie up any of the plot threads, they can't dedicate a huge part of each episode to fights.

Getting past a bunch of plot characters and then getting demolished by someone better than her is a pretty natural result for Eruna anyway. She's an amateur!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

The pacing is really weird.

Yeah, this isn't the only show this season that's paced like it's getting more episodes than it is, either.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The only especially odd thing about the pacing for the show as a whole so far (as opposed to each individual episode) is that we've only just been introduced to purple. Everything else seems about as it should be. We've gotten through the early "learn to use your MC powers" arc and have just finished the "fall short of expectations during an important trial" midseason arc. Now, neither of these things seem particularly important compared to more people for Eruna to enthuse at, but we're right on schedule for the high school battle portion of the show. Heck, if purple was less prominent in the OP, then I'd say we're where we should be, period.

Individual episodes, though, seem like each scene was made by different folks not consulting with each other who gave scenes arbitrary lengths, then slapped them together with their only concern being that the final product came out to ~22 minutes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Individual episodes, though, seem like each scene was made by different folks not consulting with each other who gave scenes arbitrary lengths, then slapped them together with their only concern being that the final product came out to ~22 minutes.

Considering how many studios are tacked onto the front of each episode, that actually wouldnt surprise me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Shriobako has taught us many things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
They should tack together more scenes of Eruna being great and fewer scenes of other stuff, IMO. Maybe some battles with a decent budget if that's not too much to ask (it is).

• Locked thread