Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

iirc their legal policy was that if you held a copyright, you were allowed to ask nicely for some royalties

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
in 2007 on another forum a guy who worked for grooveshark was trying to explain it and making it sound legit.

another user who owned a record label had music on there was bitching that he hasnt seen a single cent

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
how the gently caress did they stay open for like a decade

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
how did they not get DMCAd into hell basically overnight

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

daft punk railroad posted:

how did they not get DMCAd into hell basically overnight

iirc they did except they claimed safe harbor because their users uploaded the site's music except for that one time where it was proven employees uploaded things too

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

record labels are gay as gently caress and only relevant to lovely manufactured boy bands. upload your album to bandcamp and charge me $6 and i will buy it if its good

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
since some conglomerate of record companies now own the site, the code, the patents, all that poo poo, they should reboot grooveshark with free 15-second samples of the current top 40 hits, as well as create highly relatable content that lets fans connect with an artist's public relations team and leverage their social capital to make the next album go viral

pram
Jun 10, 2001
15 seconds?? what is this a charity

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:quig:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Well, thank god for the Chinese since they don't give a gently caress about copyright law. Just using a Chinese streaming site now that's pretty much grooveshark but unreadable yet somehow better

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I did a usability test for their "artists" page when they were trying to get local/"indie" bands involved, so I sat in a room and a girl prompted to me to do tasks (create a new song, label it, etc....) and my screen was projected onto the wall. there were 4 "engineers" there watching me, and for almost an hour, I think I saw them collectively write like 3 sentences. They said nothing to me and made no noise except when I titled a song "fart," then they all snickered. Nothing I suggested was implemented, which would be fine if I felt like they even gave half a poo poo that I was there.

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I have friends who work(ed) for them, so I'm sad they're out of a job, but grooveshark sucked in many ways and I'm glad they're dead.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
what the gently caress is Deezer

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=393sZNVbFp4&t=10s

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Sinewave posted:

hi this is grooveshark

we made a good music service but we like never got any rights or maybe we forgot or thought we didn't need to ( free speach!! fair use???) now we have to shut down

we are sorry we didn't own a crystal ball

what a confusing and meaningless & arbitrary world we live in peace out

lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mister Sinewave posted:

hi this is grooveshark

we made a good music service but we like never got any rights or maybe we forgot or thought we didn't need to ( free speach!! fair use???) now we have to shut down

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Mister Sinewave posted:

hi this is grooveshark

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there were sites where you could buy music online in 1996? 1997? realmedia 5 second previews and all. what were they again?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
napster

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
napster of sex

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
probably a physical store used to sell music, but those dont exist anymore (physical stores)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
grovershark

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Dicky B posted:

record labels are gay as gently caress and only relevant to lovely manufactured boy bands. upload your album to bandcamp and charge me $6 and i will buy it if its good

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
bandcamp loving owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

hi this is grooveshark

goldmine immediately

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Smythe posted:

goldmine immediately

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Wild EEPROM posted:

grovershark

load-bearing wonderwall

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"I was raised that you should never say bad things about the dead, only good. GrooveShark is dead. Good."

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Yodzilla posted:

what the gently caress is Deezer

the terrible French version of Pandora. also the probable reason i can't listen to Pandora without VPN fuckery, gently caress Deezer

pram
Jun 10, 2001
france lol

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
years ago i used to use emusic and i really liked it but then they stopped being able to operate in the country where i lived so they cancelled my account but kept billing me so gently caress them and when i complained they seemed surprised that i was annoyed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
emusic

oh lord what ever happened to naming things after christ

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
rip in piss

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

Mister Sinewave posted:

hi this is grooveshark

This guy is a dweeb

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.
I find it hard to find any sympathy for people like Taylor swift who only made a paltry 160 million dollars annually from Spotify before pulling their music because people need to value music more highly and fairly compensate artists

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed. death to her and others

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL that Tidal's "More money for the artists!" angle backfired because they brought Rihanna etc on stage instead of non-millionaire artists who legitimately get screwed by Spotify et al.

• Locked thread