Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

This month's theme is food! Food is one of the most important aspects of our lives and it's no surprise that it's been a popular subject for art for as long as art has existed.

Painting from Cova dels Cavalls in Spain

Roman mosaic, 2c. AD

Caravaggio

Monet

Francisco Oller

Eugene Delacroix

Francisco Goya

Henri Rousseau

Qi Baishi

Picasso
If that's not enough inspiration feel free to head over to WikiArt and go nuts!

Here's an arepa with tostones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

In the event that you make sense, I will still send you to the 7th circle.
The first image is a chicken, my favorite animal to eat. The second image is of a guy who also eats chickens.

Both of these were done for the Pathfinder Advanced Races Compendium published by Kobold Press.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Sometimes I get inspired and pick up a pen.

The consequences of overindulgence

The consequences of overindulgence and "This isn't gross enough, I'll make them Nazis"

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Kitty not on theme 'cause I just finished it:

Bonus (old) kitties on theme:

Double bonus: guess what pissed me off recently:

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011
Beezlbub: Those are great!

Cake.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Fishy.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Life drawing on the left with pilot parallel pen. On the right are some sketches from imagination using a brush pen.

Cartyisme
Dec 23, 2011

I enjoy being on topic. This is chicken.

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Beef.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Awesome

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Sea of Jellies! :3:

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

A couple more food items. A lizard and a cast iron skillet to cook it in.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beelzebub posted:

A couple more food items. A lizard and a cast iron skillet to cook it in.

Any chance you might share some of process, tools, etc?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Sure thing! Here are a few tutorial things I put together.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Nebalebadingdong, here's another process walk-through. My main goal with the process is a decent color/value study. The last step is painting over a brownish-toned version of the study, using the eye-dropper to grab color/value combos as needed.

VVV That jelly looks delicious.

Beelzebub fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 5, 2015

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I don't know what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a jelly on its back.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beelzebub posted:

Nebalebadingdong, here's another process walk-through. My main goal with the process is a decent color/value study. The last step is painting over a brownish-toned version of the study, using the eye-dropper to grab color/value combos as needed.

I'm a bit confused by the middle steps. Why do you make a color version and then revert to a monotone one and color again? Or are they different layers?

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

The colored layer isn't part of the finished illustration. It is only a study to figure out the lighting and color while I paint the final illustration over a brown monotone layer. This lets me get more painterly brushstrokes and build interesting textures by allowing the monotone layer to show through in places. It's the same process I use when working with oil paints.

It may seem like a lot of extra work. But it doesn't add anymore time than what I would spend trying to paint out line-art if I were to work directly over my color study.

The pdf tutorial I linked to up above will go into more detail on how all this works.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Yeah, that painting over a brown value study is a way old oil (I was going to say painting, but I don't know if any other paints use it) technique, going back to the Renaissance. You do your values monochrome, and you apply color in washes above that, letting the shading come through.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I really appreciate those tutorials. I haven't drawn anything in a long time, but it's nice to read them and to have something to try if I ever decide to pick it up again.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Beelzebub posted:

Sure thing! Here are a few tutorial things I put together.

http://joshhass.com/randomstuff/tutorial.pdf

Thank you for this.

Content:

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Chinese food.

beats
Oct 21, 2010
Really cool stuff Beelzebub! Thanks for sharing your process/tutorial stuff as well.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Raw bunny. Cooked food.

The taco was surprisingly difficult! It's nothing but texture!

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

It turned out really great!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Raw bunny. Cooked food.

The taco was surprisingly difficult! It's nothing but texture!

Loooooooooooove

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

fat bird doodles

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Trying to get into value studies. Not too happy with the end product, but it's a start!

Beelzebub
Apr 17, 2002

Felat, did you try knocking the color saturation down on your reference at the end to check your study?

More food items. I hear kobold meat is a lot like rabbit, but smells of urine. I'm tinkering around with some background treatment for these character illustrations. Please let me know if it looks like crap.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

Beelzebub posted:

Felat, did you try knocking the color saturation down on your reference at the end to check your study?

No, I'll keep that in mind for next time tho.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Don't just desaturate, it doesn't weight the brightness/lightness coefficients of different colors. That means a bright yellow or green will get converted to an equivalent gray brightness, not an equivalent L/a/b lightness. The values won't be correct.

Try this instead: http://magicscience.tumblr.com/post/117948140162/easy-grayscale-preview-in-photoshop-keep-track

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Beelzebub posted:

I'm tinkering around with some background treatment for these character illustrations.

I like it, I think even just adding that little bit of background "noise" and variation in lighting instantly gives more of a feel of the character standing in a space instead of existing in a void.

I have completed the bunny trifecta.

Despite loving chocolate, I've always avoided drawing it as much as I could, since I've tended to fail so hard at it. Good rich choco has a very specific, recognizable matte colouring whereas cheap choco will have a dull, plasticy sheen that can vary over to even waxy or powdery for truffles, and dark brown is so easily muddled into blorp. I feel like I could've done better if I'd gone for soft brushes, but I didn't wanna break too far from the pencil look.

felat
Apr 27, 2008

neonnoodle posted:

Don't just desaturate, it doesn't weight the brightness/lightness coefficients of different colors. That means a bright yellow or green will get converted to an equivalent gray brightness, not an equivalent L/a/b lightness. The values won't be correct.

Try this instead: http://magicscience.tumblr.com/post/117948140162/easy-grayscale-preview-in-photoshop-keep-track

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it out and report back.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

A floating head. From my head to yours.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
There's some incredibly tight realistic stuff starting in this thread, goddamn.

Megaman doesn't eat food. He is a robot from the future.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

hey i'm a noob at this but here are some hand drawings

Also Conyisme I saw some of your stuff here and looked at your site and I absolutely love your work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I love the absolutely frantic feeling you get looking at this pic.

I'm sticking to the theme, but changing animals:

Chicken with salami.

• Locked thread