Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Ok, here's what I have:

Game starts in the modern juncture, so either Modern Juncture characters only, or characters who have traveled to the modern juncture (I'd prefer that they not be aware of the Chi War yet, but they can be affected by it)

All of you have a reason to investigate the ship Espoir (French for Hope), currently moored just outside the six mile international water line in Kowloon Bay in Hong Kong. I'd suggest at least one of you be a Gambler, as the Espoir has a reputation for being "The Gambler's Last Stop". Those who travel to the Espoir have been known to come back wealthy beyond their wildest dreams, and credit their success to the time they spent on the ship, There are other rumors, however, that those who lose on the Espoir risk much more than their bankroll..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

reserving a slot; thinking Archer from the past who recognizes the Espoir as a pirate ship from his time.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Preemptively calling the Kaiji role, will have a Gambler up shortly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Name: Fūrén Yīng Jiāhuo (Yīng for short)
Archetype: Archer
Juncture: Past

Background: Fūrén Yīng Jiāhuo was a member of her village's "militia", even though she was the only person there who knew actually how to fight. She defended her friends and family from raiders, because the local "law enforcement" seemed to have no interest in helping them.

Yīng's lover was Burning Night, a trader who visited the village often. He kept trying to get Yīng to leave with him, but she couldn't bear to leave her family behind without anyone to protect them.

In reality, Burning Night was a bandit, who was using his "trader" persona as a way to scout ahead for potential targets. He did love Yīng and wanted to make her his bandit queen, but the temptation of taking the village was too strong. When Yīng was away, he brought in his men to raze the village.

Returning early and seeing the flames, Yīng arrived just in time to see her life destroyed and Burning Night fleeing with his men. She pursued them to their pirate ship, leaping aboard and fighting the crew as the ship sailed for open waters. Without warning, a huge thunderstorm began to wrack the ship.

As the battle went on, the ship was caught in a waterspout and sucked into the Netherworld.

Yīng and the ship's crew were flung through a chi-infused storm as the ship was shattered to pieces around them. The storm carried everyone through smaller portals, scattering all of them to various locations in modern-day Hong Kong. Yīng landed in a shipyard, and despite being overwhelmed by this new world she found herself in managed to keep it together enough to get to shelter.

That was two days ago. Yīng still doesn't know where she is, but while trying to get her bearings she saw a very familiar looking docked ship...

Melodramatic Hook: I will hunt down Burning Night and his crew, and take revenge for the slaughter of my village and my heart.

Stats: GunsBows: 14 / Martial Arts: 12 / Defense: 14 / Toughness:6 / Chi: 7 / Speed: 6

Skills: Info: Chinese Philosophy 13, Medicine 9, Info: Tactics 11

Wuxia Archery: At the outset of any fight, note the highest Damage Value of any firearm carried by an ally taking part in the combat who attacks with Guns. The Damage Value of your arrows is 1 less than that.

Rapid Volley: When you wound an opponent with an arrow, spend 1 Chi and 3 shots to deal than many Wound Points again to the same opponent.

Soul of the Sniper: If you are the first combatant to attack in a fight, you gain +2 Guns on that attack. You and all of your allies gain +1 to Attack Values for the rest of the first sequence.

The Way The Wind Blows: Instead of a penalty under Adverse Conditions, you get a +2 attack bonus.

Hair-Trigger Neck Hairs: Gain +1 Defense for the first sequence of any fight your opponents start unexpectedly.

Smoke Arrow: When you hit an opponent with an arrow, that opponent suffers an Adverse Condition penalty of –1 on all attacks until the end of the next sequence. The maximum penalty any target can suffer at once is –1.

Weapon:Bow and Arrows 7/6/-

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Definitely looking to give this a spin, not sure on what archetype yet. Will give it some thought, hopefully get something up by tonight.

Ada Shaw, the Bodyguard

Background: If you threw around the name Ada Shaw a few years back, you'd hear stories about one of the greatest corporate heads of security in recent memory. She always seemed a step ahead of trouble, with multiple plans of action depending on how the situation unfolded. Things changed sharply after a tragic death of a high-level executive from one of Hong Kong's financial giants, or at least, that's how the stories go.

The real story is that Ada had a long-time friendship to the murdered executive, the two of them being hard to separate. They were like brother and sister. She was shut out of the security proceedings for a fundraiser, due to it being run by an outside source. They claimed there was no security risks outstanding, despite some very credible leads. At the event, there was a firefight with security, leading to a number of dead and many more injured. The official story was terrorists, but Ada knew otherwise. This was something bigger, something more sinister, something more targeted.

Melodramatic Hook: Since the attack, she's been searching for the person behind the attack. She still takes normal bodyguarding jobs, but usually it's to pay for keeping up appearances or trying to find a way to get more information.

Stats: Guns: 14 / Martial Arts: 12 / Defense: 14 / Toughness:6 / Fortune: 7 / Speed: 8

Skills: Driving 13, Info: Celebrities 12, Info: World Leaders 12

The Client: At the beginning of any fight, designate any PC or GMC as your client, who you will go on to protect. Spend 1 Fortune when your client takes Damage to reduce the Damage to 0. You take 7 Wound Points.

Damnit!: On your next attack after your client takes Wound Points, gain +2 Attack against the character who dealt the Damage.

Who Got Hit?: At the end of a fight, remove any number of Marks of Death from your client, applying them instead to yourself.

Take The Shot: Add +4 Guns vs. targets using hostages as human shields.

Fast Draw I: Add +2 to your Initiative result. Your first action of the sequence must use Guns.

Weapon: H&K P7 10/2/4, Mini Uzi 10/3/1

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 1, 2015

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
How are you planning on handling combat?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Gonna write up a contemporary Sword Master Magic Cop. This gonna be PbP or an IRC type game?

Decided to switch it up, wasn't feeling the melodramatic hook from the Sword guy. Enter, Officer Gallena :

Name: Officer Josè Gallena
Archetype: Magic Cop
Juncture: Contemporary

Background:

On the mean streets of the Chicago beat, Officer Gallena always ran into the weird ones. Folks with no eyes that can predict the future, twins that felt each others pain, men that looked like monster. He took it in stride, learned all he could, and put the bootheels to the nasties haunting up his patrol route.

However, late one double shift on the last day of a long week, Gallena ran into a girl and an entity - demon is the word he'd use in his report, if his superiors ever read his reports - and made a bargain for the girl's life: his soul for her life. He could feel the slimy mark of the Beast upon him, and he just couldn't shake the feeling that someone was watching him.

A few years later, Gallena is a little wiser, with a few more scars. But the demon has come to collect. There's a man called Tang on a boat named the Espoir in Hong Kong. If Officer Gallena can take Tang's soul, the demon will free him from the pact. Gallena's got no interest in doing a demon's bidding, but he's got to warn the man a demon wants his soul. Anyway, Tang is probably a great guy. Right?

Melodramatic Hook: I sold my soul to a devil. I'll do whatever it takes to get it back, without compromising what's right.

Stats: Guns:14 / Magic: 13 / Defense: 14 / Toughness: 13 / Magic: 6 / Speed: 6

Skills: Info: Occult 13 / Police:12

Abilities:
Inured to Weirdness: When a Sorcery, Creature, or Scroungetech attack misses you, regain a spent Magic point.
Juncture Adapted: When in your home juncture ignore any juncture costs for Sorcery
Hair-Trigger Neckhairs: Gain +1 Defense for the first sequence of any fight your opponents start unexpectedly.
Stop Right There!: Spend 1 shot to automatically stop an enemy from Cheesing it.
Ghost Sense: Spend 1 Magic to see the ghosts all around you in a single scene. Unless you count the odd grotesque transformation or inffective lunge in your direction, they can't really communicaate with you. But their presence and appearance may provide clues to past events in the area. Specialty: Divination.
Banishment: Spend 3 Magic and 3 shots: on a Sorcery success agains a supernatural creature's Defense, it Cheeses It. On a failure, you regain the Magic points spent. Specialty: Summoning

Weapons:
Colt Detective Special - 9/2/5
Remington 870 Police - 13/5/4 (Pump-action)
Wealth: Working Stiff

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 5, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hopefully this is OK - I'm modifying the Ninja slightly to make it into a modern special operative:

Name: Rook
Archetype: Tom Clancy's Ninja
Juncture: Contemporary

Background: What do you do when the most powerful spy agency on the planet - your employer - turns on you, tries to have you killed, the burns you just for good measure? This is the question that has been on Rook's mind these last long, painful forty-three days...

Alkesandr Sergeyovich Bogdanov was born in a sleepy village in the foothills of the Ural mountains some time in the early 1970s. At 15, he ran away from home; at 17, he joined the Russian Ground Forces. From there, he went to the VDV, then made Major, transferred out of the Armed Forces and into the SVR - a rare career move - and then promptly dropped off the grid.

Rook (not his real name, of course) joined the SVR in 2007 as a field operative for its top secret BOPOH division (colloquially known as the Rookery). Over the last 8 years, Rook has been to many, many places and killed, kidnapped or coerced many, many people, all in the name of "maintaining regional stability." Now, for reasons he doesn't understand, BOPOH has turned on him - frozen his assets, burned him and sent a half dozen operatives after him to finish the job. For the last six weeks, Rook has been on the run - frantically going from safe house to safe house, always barely a step ahead of his pursuers.

And now, finally, he has a fresh lead - a way he can find out why he's been thrown to the wolves. His SVR handler, Colonel Timur Anatolyevich Kuznetsov, is going to be playing cards on a luxury yacht moored just inside international waters, off the coast of the Kowloon peninsula. The yacht is exclusive, so security should be tight, but minimal. This is his only shot - sneak onboard, find Kuznetsov, then "persuade" him to rescind the burn notice. If this doesn't work, he's as good as dead anyway.

Melodramatic Hook: I will find out who burned me, and why, and then do something about it.

Stats: Guns 13, Martial Arts 12, Defence 15, Toughness 6, Chi 7, Speed 8.

Skills: Deceit 12, Intrusion 15, Fix-It 11, Info: Architecture 15.

Shticks:

Mark and Execute (Joint Cased): +2 Guns if the fight takes place in a location you have ever covertly entered using Intrusion.

Out of Nowhere (Friend of Darkness): when attacking an opponent for the first time in the current fight, treat the opponent's Toughness as 4 (unless their Toughness is less than 4).

Creeping Death (Dark's Soft Whispers): make any attack silently and without attracting notice. On a Guns attack, describe yourself using a silencer.

Silent Takedown (Panther Pounce): if you are the only PC in a scene and you encounter a single GMC, spend 0 Chi (for a mook) or 2 Chi (for a named character) to knock out, daze or otherwise render the target helpless and unable to interfere with you. Lasts for five minutes or until you try to harm the character, whichever comes first.

Elusive (Catlike Tread): when you give an ally a Defence boost, you also gain the benefit of this boost.

Weapons:
MP-443 Grach [D10/C2/R3]; NRS-2 Special Scout Knife ([D8/C0/R*]
* the NRS-2 is a ballistic knife and can always fire exactly one shot before needing to be reloaded. This does not apply to melee attacks, of course.

Wealth: Working Stiff (entirely in the form of stashed, untraceable bank notes).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 1, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, SirFozzie: I flipped Guns and Martial Arts around and changed Joint Cased to +2 Guns because I don't really intend to do kung-fu, but I'm imagining Rook does CQB/stealth takedowns with his pistol, like so: http://gfycat.com/ClassicGranularAlbacoretuna

If that's more Martial Arts than Guns in your opinion, I'll put them back to what they were before.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
FIne by me, and it's going to be PBP, going to try to work a few shots in at a time

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Also, might want to hunt down a mod to change the poor tag for this game to Guns or something.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Taking a tentative slot. I have a bunch of concepts kicking around, let's see which ones I can blow the dust off of.

EDIT: I have one of the beta test editions of this version, draft 1.3. How badly crippled am I going to be if I try to build based on that?

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 2, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Done changed my dude to a Magic Cop, wasn't feeling the hook of the Sword Master.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

EDIT: I have one of the beta test editions of this version, draft 1.3. How badly crippled am I going to be if I try to build based on that?

You're going to want to find the current v1.1, there's been a lot of changes since then.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 2, 2015

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Nuts. Gonna have to ask around, then.

Also there's already so many threads with the GUNS tag, it'd just get lost. Is there a China tag of some kind?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
If there's still space, I'd like to slide in.

Name: Gordon Wong
Archetype: Spy
Juncture: Modern

Background:
Trained and employed by the British Secret Intelligence Service, Gordon Wong would've done much better in the era of superpowers, communism, and ideological warfare. Despite performing with distinction in operations from Karachi to Geneva to Bogota, Gordon's Cold War-era political leanings resulted in one-too-many 'covert incidents' with Chinese and Russian intelligence assets. Rather than accepting a desk job and keeping his eventual pension check, Gordon went rogue. Now operating out of Macau, he works to counter China's ambitions in the Pacific, promote democracy in Hong Kong, and prevent the covert assassination of a number of politicians and international activists on a secret Chinese blacklist. So far, it hasn't been going well, and he's beginning to think there are non-national actors or even stranger things in play. The Espoir should be a place where he can find out who keeps ordering the killings, or at least get some leverage on Communist party officials out for a flutter

Melodramatic Hook: I will protect the people of the free world from kleptocratic regimes, and put an end to the blacklist killings.
Stats:
Guns: 14 Martial Arts: 13 Defense: 14 Toughness: 7 Fortune: 7 Speed: 7
Skills:
Deceit 15
Fix-It 11
Gambling 12
Info: Fashion 12
Info: Food and Drink 14
Info: Geopolitics 12
Intrusion 12
Seduction 13
Shticks:
Integrated Training
Add +1 to Guns if your previous
attack used Martial Arts. Add +1 to
Martial Arts if your previous attack
used Guns.
Scoped Out
Add +1 to Guns, Martial Arts,
and Defense vs. characters you
have exchanged dialogue with at a
previous time or location.
Weapons:
Walther PPK: 9/1/4

Wealth: Rich

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I was debating on going for this, but hey, why not.

Troy Burnett
Archetype: Everyday Hero
Juncture: Modern

Background:

"You know, I really don't know what I'm doing here to be honest. I should be back home in California finishing rebuilding the carburetor on my 'Stang or watching the game and drinking beer with the gang. Instead I'm here, trying to find a man I haven't seen in years. Huh, Who? Oh, my uncle, Frank McKowen, he used to be a cop and a drat good one, or so my Mom used to say. I dunno for sure, but I always thought he was cool when I was a teenager, except the smoking, yuck. Anyways, a few years ago he quit the force and as far as I knew, dropped off the face of the earth.

Until a couple months ago, when I got this in the mail. What? You've never seen an 8-track tape before? Ya know, I wonder how he knew I had a deck in my car... Anyways, the old bastard sent it to me in the mail, no name, just a PO box here in Hong Kong, but he must've known I'd listen to it. Then again, it was Dark Side of the Moon, how could I not? He'd apparently trashed the second best Pink Floyd Album ever and swapped it for a message he recorded himself. Now, to be honest, I couldn't really understand half of what he was talking about, something about conspiracies, secret wars, other worlds and, oddly, the power of home decorating. Dude must've been drunk out of his mind when he recorded that. Anyways, what I did understand was him saying that if I was receiving the tape, he was either dead or in big trouble. Now, Uncle Frank might've been an alcoholic, chainsmoking hardass at times, but he's family, and so I jumped the first plane to the only major clue I had, Hong Kong.

Well, I had other clues. A bunch of names and cryptic poo poo on a sheet of paper that came with the tape. Most of it was written in messy Cantonese. Uncle Frank's handwriting was never very good I guess. One of the few names in English, well, French, was Espoir, so after a bit of the ol' Google Search, here I am, wondering just how I got myself in this mess, on a boat full of rich party goers blowing more money on a single bet than I make in a month.

[Hey bar man! Another beer please!]

You know, I always thought it was odd Uncle Frank insisted on me taking Cantonese at community college... too bad I was never good at the whole written part. Seriously, how do they remember all these different symbols! I'll take 26 alphabet letters any day of the week!"

Melodramatic Hook: I will discover the fate of Uncle Frank and help him if I can.

Stats

Martial Arts: 13, Guns: 11, Defense: 15, Toughness: 6, Fortune: 9, Speed: 6

Skills:

Driving 12
Info: Classic Cars 15
Info: Classic Rock 15
Info: Beer 15
Info: Sports 15

Schticks:

Lucky You
Chance to Regain Fortune when depleted

Improvised Weapon Mastery
Bonus to Martial Arts using improvised weapons

Accidental Awesome
Free Fortune Die after a missed improvised weapon attack

Weapons:
NONE

Wealth: Working Stiff

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 5, 2015

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

So, outside of our gambler being MIA, we waiting on anything else? Also, can come up with a substitute gambler in the Spy if we really need someone who can gamble.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Oh man, sorry if I've been holding up the game! I've been trying to get a concept working for a Gambler but I'm really not feeling it, so I'm bowing out of consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What's the word on this? Is this still happening?

• Locked thread