Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hopefully this is OK - I'm modifying the Ninja slightly to make it into a modern special operative:

Name: Rook
Archetype: Tom Clancy's Ninja
Juncture: Contemporary

Background: What do you do when the most powerful spy agency on the planet - your employer - turns on you, tries to have you killed, the burns you just for good measure? This is the question that has been on Rook's mind these last long, painful forty-three days...

Alkesandr Sergeyovich Bogdanov was born in a sleepy village in the foothills of the Ural mountains some time in the early 1970s. At 15, he ran away from home; at 17, he joined the Russian Ground Forces. From there, he went to the VDV, then made Major, transferred out of the Armed Forces and into the SVR - a rare career move - and then promptly dropped off the grid.

Rook (not his real name, of course) joined the SVR in 2007 as a field operative for its top secret BOPOH division (colloquially known as the Rookery). Over the last 8 years, Rook has been to many, many places and killed, kidnapped or coerced many, many people, all in the name of "maintaining regional stability." Now, for reasons he doesn't understand, BOPOH has turned on him - frozen his assets, burned him and sent a half dozen operatives after him to finish the job. For the last six weeks, Rook has been on the run - frantically going from safe house to safe house, always barely a step ahead of his pursuers.

And now, finally, he has a fresh lead - a way he can find out why he's been thrown to the wolves. His SVR handler, Colonel Timur Anatolyevich Kuznetsov, is going to be playing cards on a luxury yacht moored just inside international waters, off the coast of the Kowloon peninsula. The yacht is exclusive, so security should be tight, but minimal. This is his only shot - sneak onboard, find Kuznetsov, then "persuade" him to rescind the burn notice. If this doesn't work, he's as good as dead anyway.

Melodramatic Hook: I will find out who burned me, and why, and then do something about it.

Stats: Guns 13, Martial Arts 12, Defence 15, Toughness 6, Chi 7, Speed 8.

Skills: Deceit 12, Intrusion 15, Fix-It 11, Info: Architecture 15.

Shticks:

Mark and Execute (Joint Cased): +2 Guns if the fight takes place in a location you have ever covertly entered using Intrusion.

Out of Nowhere (Friend of Darkness): when attacking an opponent for the first time in the current fight, treat the opponent's Toughness as 4 (unless their Toughness is less than 4).

Creeping Death (Dark's Soft Whispers): make any attack silently and without attracting notice. On a Guns attack, describe yourself using a silencer.

Silent Takedown (Panther Pounce): if you are the only PC in a scene and you encounter a single GMC, spend 0 Chi (for a mook) or 2 Chi (for a named character) to knock out, daze or otherwise render the target helpless and unable to interfere with you. Lasts for five minutes or until you try to harm the character, whichever comes first.

Elusive (Catlike Tread): when you give an ally a Defence boost, you also gain the benefit of this boost.

Weapons:
MP-443 Grach [D10/C2/R3]; NRS-2 Special Scout Knife ([D8/C0/R*]
* the NRS-2 is a ballistic knife and can always fire exactly one shot before needing to be reloaded. This does not apply to melee attacks, of course.

Wealth: Working Stiff (entirely in the form of stashed, untraceable bank notes).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Actually, SirFozzie: I flipped Guns and Martial Arts around and changed Joint Cased to +2 Guns because I don't really intend to do kung-fu, but I'm imagining Rook does CQB/stealth takedowns with his pistol, like so: http://gfycat.com/ClassicGranularAlbacoretuna

If that's more Martial Arts than Guns in your opinion, I'll put them back to what they were before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Redeye Flight posted:

EDIT: I have one of the beta test editions of this version, draft 1.3. How badly crippled am I going to be if I try to build based on that?

You're going to want to find the current v1.1, there's been a lot of changes since then.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 2, 2015

• Locked thread