Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Grace is taking no prisoners goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Sorry, I just couldn't finish that video with that Turkish discussion.

*list of horrible things that have happened to them*

*shoving foot deeper into gullet*

The Turkish, Iraqi and Syrians have done a very good job marginalizing them. If there is anything good coming out of this horrible mess in the middle east, it's the Kurds showing how good they are at kicking rear end.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FeyerbrandX posted:

Sorry, I just couldn't finish that video with that Turkish discussion.

*list of horrible things that have happened to them*

*shoving foot deeper into gullet*

The Turkish, Iraqi and Syrians have done a very good job marginalizing them. If there is anything good coming out of this horrible mess in the middle east, it's the Kurds showing how good they are at kicking rear end.

Grace and I had a long history lesson later on :colbert: Grace tends to dislike people who shoot me repeatedly, but regardless I will not have disrespect against Kurds.

Also for anyone curious, Grace is just dumb, not racist. I promise.

Iron Chitlin posted:

What...You can blow up the crane???? Why the hell didn't I know about that?

When I was a kid, I honestly thought that was the only way past, I didn't realize you could duck while pressed against the wall :saddowns:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 19, 2015

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm glad that a lesson was learned. I didn't think Grace was being bigoted or racist. I'm sorry to say it, but I felt it was just militant ignorance, refusing to back down from being wrong at the time.

Not giving upon the series, I just needed to stop watching that.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm glad that a lesson was learned. I didn't think Grace was being bigoted or racist. I'm sorry to say it, but I felt it was just militant ignorance, refusing to back down from being wrong at the time.

Not giving upon the series, I just needed to stop watching that.

Grace likes to play up the sassy "I'm always right, especially when I'm wrong" angle for comedy in our videos, kind of like how I play up my ignorance of anything from the United States, which leads to a baffled Grace :v: In reality Grace is actually super interested in other cultures, partially due to a lovely high school that barely taught American history, much less other parts of the world. I actually had to explain back then that Canada was in WW2 because Grace's history class pretty much glossed over every other Allied nation's involvement.

I totally get you wanting to skip the episode, and we both apologize, just don't want you to think we're actually jerks. Just both drunk and dumb.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, no problem. It's a sense of taste. Speaking of that, I should have a drink.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
On that note I really appreciate that there are a lot of different marginalized people that usually doesn't show up in popular media in metal gear. Also that, like sniper wolf, they don't all look like a stereotype of their origin because there are always outliers.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Video games have taught me a lot. Civilization II was my first encounter with what "Communism" really was and got me interested in reading about Marix and Engels and Lenin and it helped shape my political views for many years.

With MGS1, I learned about the Kurds and about how America left them high and dry. Yet IRL they don't seem to hold any grudges against us for that. It's very impressive. I also learned about nuclear proliferation. I know a lot of people view her as superfluous but I think I talked to Nastasha more than any other support team member in any of the games simply because I found all the stuff she could tell me fascinating and the middle school me hadn't heard anything about any of that stuff. About how inefficient and useless the IAEA were.

Of course I'm older now and while I still agree with Kojima insofar as "nukes are bad" I know that Chernobyl is largely a horror story without substance. The myth of it has far eclipsed the reality. (thank you Michael Crichton for telling me this. You were not half the anti-science guy people think you were.)

Also to wrap up this post.
One of the best pieces of music in the series. I think this had a lot to do with why a lot of people remember Wolf's death.

Also that little exchange Snake and Otacon had?
Otacon: Snake. What was she fighting for? What am I fighting for? What are you fighting for?

Solid Snake: If we make it through this I'll tell you.

That is one of Kojima's favorite moments in the series and I agree with him. It's a really good bit of writing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The MGS series always had really good 'bad guys'. It's also really telling how Snake is generally really respectful with fallen enemies during their dying moments, since as he put it, "We were just professionals on opposite sides, that's all".

Then MGS4 introduces the B&B corp who all had the back story "THEY WERE HAPPY THEN BAD GUYS INVADED AND FORCED THEM TO [bad thing] WHILE [emotion], THEN AN [animal] KILLED EVERYONE AND ALSO A BABY BUT THERE WAS NO [animal] IT WAS HER DO YOU FEEL BAD YET SNAKE IT'S REALLY SAD". MGS4 dropped the ball on a couple things, but that was one of the most glaring to me.

EDIT: Also speaking of Nastasha, it's sad that pretty much everything she says about nuclear stuff is still extremely correct despite being written in 1998. :shepface: It's been almost 20 years and it's still ringing true.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 19, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There are so many things wrong with the Beauty and the Beast Corps and you highlighted one of them. Another one of them would be the fact a very monotone black man told you over the radio about all the poo poo that happened to them. Who knew Microsoft Sam reading Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes while you stare at nothing would sap the story of its emotional weight? It's like Kojima completely missed the fact a lot of people were moved by Wolf's or The Boss' death because of a little thing called music and visuals and good voice-acting. (although the hardest death for me in the series is Emma's)

Then there's also the fact that you have just spent at least a full 3-5 minutes being given ludicrous and lurid shots of these women's tits and asses. You maybe even had them pose sexily for you or had them dance to J=Pop. Then you're expected to go from that to "FEEL SORRY FOR THEM! FEEL SAD!" It doesn't work that way. You can't do sex objects or comic relief and then try to rip my heart out, sorry.

MGS4 is just such a goddam schizophrenic game.

But yes...MGS does villains really well. FOXHOUND is probably my favorite "villain group" but I quite like Solidus and Fatman in the next game. Olga too if she counts.

I also appreciate Snake's respectfulness. It's like Meryl was all "you are evil!" to Mantis but Snake just told her to shush so the man could have his final moments. Returning his mask was also a nice gesture on Snake's part.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 19, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This dude actually has a make-your-own sappy B&B backstory generator on his site: http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articles/the-5-dumbest-moments-in-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/
Fair warning, he's a lovely person who thinks "in the kitchen" jokes are the height of comedy.

NikkolasKing posted:

MGS4 is just such a goddam schizophrenic game.

Even as someone who liked MGS4, I agree completely.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 19, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, when Kojima decides he's going to teach you about real world stuff, he tends to go whole hog (look at the digressions about the organ transplant process in Policenauts for example). The nuke stuff here was all stuff I already half knew thanks to my dad, but it's all correct. My father a. always for some reason was really interested in the SALT 1 era of history and has lots of books on the subject, and b. is MAJORLY into environmental health so he's ended up at conferences all about the aftermath of Chernobyl and things like that. He got to meet the man who was in charge of the cleanup operations for the USSR when it happened (like all men who managed to have access to ground zero that week, the cleanup guy is now long dead from nasty cancer). He would hear horror stories like how they found an old woman who lived in a cabin in the woods a couple miles out from the plant and lived off picking wild mushrooms, and even just her boots alone were off the charts in radiation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXfDSHCEP10

You know, even to this day I still think MGS1 has the best Codec. I won't deny a lot of it is nostalgia though. I remember very clearly the first time I played MGS1, it just blew my loving mind. I spent forever just calling everyone I could and listening to them. I had never encountered anything like this in a video game and to some extent, I still haven't. Kojima might be a bit too obsessed with "I DID RESEARCH LOOK AT ALL MY RESEARCH" but since a lot of it is optional, it doesn't detract from the game in my opinion. Rather, it adds to the game by giving you something intriguing to do if you feel like taking a break from the story.

pick-e
Aug 10, 2014
Gotta say, I also did not know about the parachute or the ensuing codec call about it. These game really do keep on giving.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
There was also a codec moment I missed, if you call Campbell during the hind fight, he says to listen for the helicopter to figure out where it is. If your sound is set to mono, your support staff basically make fun of you for being a scrub with a mono TV. :v: It's god drat hilarious and I'm still kicking myself for forgetting about it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I've been saying it for years that MGS1 is the best game in the series and you just proved why.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not sure which is better, the Colonel's patronizing or Mei Ling's quiet disbelief.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

I'm not sure which is better, the Colonel's patronizing or Mei Ling's quiet disbelief.

The Colonel's patronizing. By a longshot.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Also props to Naomi for expressing genuine disgust at the prospect of a mono TV

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I like how Snake just sits there and takes it. He never says anything in his own (or rather, the player's) defense.

Hideo Kojima confirmed to hate poor people.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid Episode 10 - Baker's Personal Stash:siren:

Grace made me leave it in. Also god dammit Otacon, get the hell off the phone and keep hacking.

Fun facts for this episode:

-I've been trying to hold in any burps until after the episode so as not to be rude. This becomes difficult in alert/ration heavy episodes.
-I love that Raven's response to Snake saying he must be good at the Muktuk eating competition is "YES YOU ARE RIGHT" :v:
-The Eskimo-Indian Olympics are not only a real thing, but are still running even this year. This is especially surprising to me since both "Eskimo" and "Indian" are considered kinda racist in Canada (as opposed to "Inuit" and "Aboriginal"), but these are in Alaska, so maybe it's different there.
-The ear pull looks really loving painful :saddowns:
-Inuit food is cool because some of it can straight up kill you if your body isn't accustomed to it. Seal liver and polar bear liver have enough vitamin A to cause a lethal overdose. Seal meat in general can be pretty rough on people who aren't used to it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Would you think I'm trying to kill you if my suggestion for MGS2's Drinking Word was Patriots? I mean, it will only really be a problem for the last 1/4th of the game.

Also can we suggest a drinking phrase? 'cuz I'd swap Patriots for "do you remember what day it is tomorrow?" or the many variations of.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Drink every time the say patriots, drink for every syllable when they say "la li lu le lo". You will die. Doing this will kill you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just take a drink whenever Rose chimes in with something completely inane and irrelevant. You'll be dead in three videos.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

So, an easier way to take on Raven is to use the Nikitas, which they helpfully include in the ammo lying around.. you just have to be careful because like the stingers in the video, if he sees them he'll shoot them down. You gotta come from the back with them.

Speaking of Raven, Vulcan Cannons are a real thing...normally carried by Warthog Helicopters, not people.. If spirituality is your bag, Raven is also my spirit animal. He represents the Magician in the Major Arcana of the Tarot, he uses trickery and deception to reach his goals, which tend to be both for his own gain as well as for the betterment of others. Unlike the other big trickster in Native Totems, Coyote who merely sees himself as more clever than others, Raven usually actually is the smartest one in the room.

Also, for those of you who look for kojima konnections, Cherenoton Russia, which Ocelot initially suggests as a target for Metal Gear, is extremely important to Snatcher's storyline. The hero, Gillian Seed, and his wife are the assumed only survivors found after a biological research institute has a catastrophic explosion, resulting in the proliferation of the Lucifer Alpha virus, decimating most of Eurasia, later mutating to the mostly benign SNOW 9 virus. The Seeds have no memory of what happened before being found 50 years later in Russia. In reality, they were chief scientists at Cherenoton which was secretly a biological weapons lab. The Chief scientist, Dr Elijah Modnar, who also shows up in Metal Gear 2, put them in cryogenic storage while deliberately causing the disaster. He was secretly making androids-Snatchers-and used the disaster to hide his lab. The Seeds' cryogenic tubes malfunctioned, resulting in their memory loss and prolonged sleep as opposed to Modnar's, allowing him to keep working after a few years once Lucifer Alpha became benign.

Speaking of Snatcher, it dawns on me that its vid-phone is kinda prototypical of the complex availability of the Codec, allowing for all sorts of optional conversations. Of course, the radio's always been a Metal Gear feature, but still.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Man, can't believe they're shaming people with Mono. :suicide:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Choco1980 posted:

Raven usually actually is the smartest one in the room.

This is also true of Foxhound in general.

Oh drat, I never made the Chernoton connection. Also speaking of Snatcher, the Metal Gear Mk II was actually supposed to be in the first Metal Gear Solid!

This is a still from the 1997 E3 Trailer for MGS1, you can see the MK II on the far right :buddy: You can also see an item called a "Kuidaore", which apparently is a term that means eating until you die. :confused:

I want you all to know that while talking about how to expedite the like four hours of voiceless text in the beginning of Metal Gear Acid, Grace wanted to have us voice act every character, and I had to threaten to wear toe shoes with sandals all summer to prevent it. You're welcome.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 21, 2015

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Danaru posted:

This is a still from the 1997 E3 Trailer for MGS1, you can see the MK II on the far right :buddy: You can also see an item called a "Kuidaore", which apparently is a term that means eating until you die. :confused:

I want you all to know that while talking about how to expedite the like four hours of voiceless text in the beginning of Metal Gear Acid, Grace wanted to have us voice act every character, and I had to threaten to wear toe shoes with sandals all summer to prevent it. You're welcome.

Wow...they sure liked shooting the FA-MAS in that trailer...

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Someone had fun with the C4 in that trailer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
My favourite part is when Snake and Meryl are shooting up Mantis' office because I can only imagine they're also shouting "HAHA gently caress YOU AND gently caress YOUR OFFICE YOU PSYCHIC rear end in a top hat"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

That C4 extravaganza.

Also, it's neat to see that they probably originally wanted a more dynamic camera than they got. MGS2 and Twin Snakes seemed to rectify that. (also higher asset cinemas)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey folks, just a heads up the next episode is going to be a day late, I had a really good idea of going to the gym after an extended night shift, then I uh, kinda passed out for most of the day, whoops! We'll be recording tomorrow :v:

EDIT: Actually it'll be a bit longer.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 22, 2015

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009

Danaru posted:

This is also true of Foxhound in general.

Oh drat, I never made the Chernoton connection. Also speaking of Snatcher, the Metal Gear Mk II was actually supposed to be in the first Metal Gear Solid!

Oh hey that trailer is really nostalgic. A cut down version of it was on my ps1 demo disc and made me really really want mgs1 as a kid. I never got to play Mgs until 2 though. But now, every time I play mgs1 I try to replicate that c4 scene.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Hey folks it's me I'm garbage

We should be recording new episodes on Sunday, a bunch of crap came up for both of us, but Grace got a promotion out of it, so that's cool :v: Just wanted to let you guys know we aren't dead.

Also I had a rough 16 hour shift at one point and ended up outright chugging down one of the drinking game beers since I had no cold Sleeman, so anyone who drinks Warsteiner Pilseners, you've got pretty good taste.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

...normally carried by Warthog Helicopters, not people..

:confused:

Also oh good you aren't dead. Grats on promotions!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
that is a funny lookin helicopter.

Edit: Also that is a GAU-8 not a M-61 Vulcan. I was confused because I thought that was the plane you meant but I also was unsure if I just didnt know about a helicopter (I am not good with helicopter names) otherwise you are correct!

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 28, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not a plane guy. I GIS "Warthog Helicopter" and got that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregory
Jun 8, 2013

METAL GEAR!
"Warthog" is the nickname for the A-10 Thunderbolt II . As far as I can tell (aka a short jaunt into wikipedia), the M61 isn't used in rotary wing aircraft.