Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Danaru posted:

So hey, here's a preview from the first MGS3 episode..

Needs airhorns for extra stealth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

whowhatwhere posted:

That exists?

yeah, and it's called Polish Vodka :v:

No seriously, Poland has a reputation for good vodka with one of their premier brands being called Chopin :iia:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you want good vodka, you should go for Polish or Finnish, those tend to actually have some kind of taste.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, if you want good vodka, you should go for Polish or Finnish, those tend to actually have some kind of taste.

Sometimes you just want odorless, colorless, tasteless GET RIGGIDY RIGGIDY WRECKED liquid.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
I recommend either Wyborowa or Luksusowa. Quality stuff.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Zoladkowa Gorzka Tradycyjna is the best vodka

source?: I'm Polish

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sometimes you just want odorless, colorless, tasteless GET RIGGIDY RIGGIDY WRECKED liquid.

In the Good Eats episode on Bloody Mary recipes, Alton Brown revealed that Vodka's quality is just like water--the purer it is, the less flavor and color and quality you get. He advised getting one of those water purifying pitchers, like say Brita makes, and running your low cost vodka through it 3 or 4 times to scrub out the impurities and have much better quality stuff than you paid for.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

FailAtMagic posted:

Zoladkowa Gorzka Tradycyjna is the best vodka

source?: I'm Polish

It is, however, rather bitter. Like the name implies. Not really for everyone.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 1 - STEALTH

And we're back! Highlights of this update include me being loving up history that Zero JUST explained, and having to correct myself in post! In my defense it was like 2 AM and I was starting to sober up from Solidus screaming PATRIOTS over and over.

:siren:Also vote for the drinking condition here because you guys are terrible at labeling your votes:siren:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 1 - STEALTH

And we're back! Highlights of this update include me being loving up history that Zero JUST explained, and having to correct myself in post! In my defense it was like 2 AM and I was starting to sober up from Solidus screaming PATRIOTS over and over.

:siren:Also vote for the drinking condition here because you guys are terrible at labeling your votes:siren:

Nice, FRWL has 100% of the 1 vote!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Danaru posted:

Wait, you didn't sober up before starting? Wouldn't it be better to start on a clean slate?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Aces High posted:

Wait, you didn't sober up before starting? Wouldn't it be better to start on a clean slate?

Probably, but I haven't done anything I should have done yet in this thread, and I'm not about to start now.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Man, I would play the gently caress out of Marble Gear Solid. :v:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So dan would you mind terribly if I butted into your thread with

THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE AS SEEN BY MGS/KOJIMA

MGS3 has one of the silliest uses of Russian I have ever seen. Which really stands out because the rest of the script is relatively plausible, outside of the usual MGS lunacy. Shagohod is probably the biggest standout for me.
Firstly, everyone in the loving game butchers its pronunciation. It's supposed to be "Sha (with a hard, short a. Not at all pronounced like the british slang word for loving :v:) - ga (same sort of a) -hod (short o, hard emphasis on d)"

Second, translated literally it means "step-walker" or "walk-marcher". I think they were going for a name which was a reference to the phrase "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" but ho man did they miss the mark hard. The name honestly sounds like something out of a children's comic book. "Yes Batman! With this Sharkspray you will be hunted by my amphibuous sharks for the rest of your days Nyahahahaha!" that kind of kitziness.

Grace posted:

What's with Russia and all its silent Ts?

Good question Grace! That's because Russia has the letter Ц which English does not quite have an equivalent for. The letter is pronounced "tse" but it sounds differently when used alongside vowels and within exceptional words. When anglicized into the latin alphabet, the best they can do is a "ts-", which results in a sort-of silent t.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 10, 2016

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm going to be the pedantic one and point out that since the plane Snake's in started from Pakistani airspace you're probably in Soviet Tajikistan or Soviet Kyrgyzstan, not Soviet Russia.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I kinda hope the No Free Meal option doesn't win because then I strongly recommend you go on Operation Fat Snake and eat everything.

Also, let me get the plot straight...Because we smuggled Sokolov out of the CCCP and into NATO hands, the Cuban Missile Crisis happened as a hostage situation, wherein the Soviets were willing to reign radioactive death on the planet if they couldn't get their man back. And immediately afterwards the main plan from NATO is "Let's smuggle him out again." :raise:

Incidentally, if you're wondering about Para-Medic's "Captain Nemo" comment, Nemo of Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea and Mysterious Island was a Sikh Hindu Science-Pirate. "Nemo" literally means "Nobody" in his native language.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

"Nemo" literally means "Nobody" in his native language.
It's actually Latin but you got the rest right.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

"Snake! What you're doing is completely illegal so you can't let the enemy know that you've ever been there." *leaves parachute and oxygen mask marked "US Army" behind*

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I have a Canada Question. Why are most of Canada's provinces bilingual but Quebec is officially monolingual?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Canada still has to recognize the crown. It's still a British colony :v: Why else is the queen on your moneys?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

White Coke posted:

I have a Canada Question. Why are most of Canada's provinces bilingual but Quebec is officially monolingual?

This is mostly from memory so I might have stuff wrong here. The country itself is bilingual, but legally the only bilingual province or territory is New Brunswick, and the rest are English. Provincial Government offices will have English and French services avaliable in most cases.

Quebec takes French as a language more seriously, at least legally. I think they're still the only province ever to invoke the Notwithstanding Clause which can actually supercede a Supreme Court Ruling that would determine a law as unconstitutional, regarding a law about language rights in Quebec. I don't think I'm knowledgeable enough to talk about Quebec more then this because politics in Quebec is something I dont know much about, but I'll probably be seeing some interesting stuff with the election coming soon.

Edit:Some provinces, are legally monolingual, like Quebec, and some of the praries are just English. Aboriginal languages are also used in the Territories along with English.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 1, 2015

White Coke
May 29, 2015
^ Thanks for the info. Hopefully it's accurate.

I have another question, why do Canadians bleed maple syrup and not blood like the rest of humanity?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

to separate us from the Americans.

No really you take anything that makes a Canadian a Canadian or anything in our "culture" it is more-or-less us going "we are NOT America's hat, we are our own country, dammit"

Unless you're Quebecois, that's something completely different

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Is there the same level of insecurity in Canadian culture directed at Britain or is it all just about trying to be as distinct from the USA as possible without tattooing maple leaves on your faces?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's the secret underground movement, painting maple leaves on their butts.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

THE RUSSIAN LANGUAGE AS SEEN BY MGS/KOJIMA

This reminds me, I love that it took until Phantom Pain for Kojima to explain what the hell "Shalashaska" was :v:

White Coke posted:

Is there the same level of insecurity in Canadian culture directed at Britain or is it all just about trying to be as distinct from the USA as possible without tattooing maple leaves on your faces?

Just for perspective, here's some things I've been told by Americans:

-Canada is owned by Britain
-Canada is owned by the USA
-Canada lost World War 2
-Canada was never in World War 2
-Canada sided with Russia in the cold war (:confused:)
-Canada is Alaska, like literally all of Canada is just Alaska, Alaska is bigger than the entire rest of the United States
-Canada helped Al-Qaeda do 9/11 (extra salty about this because I'm nova scotian)

Thinks I've been told by Brits:

-It rains a lot here too

Britain doesn't constantly try to downplay Canada's history as far as I know, so there's not much reason to be wary of them. The reason Grace plays the ignorant American joke so often is because he knows it riles me up. :v: In return I act like I'd rather die than visit the states. I'd probably be willing to visit anywhere that gets snow in the winter, don't tell Grace though :ssh: also I don't actually dislike the united states, just the jerks, also the health care what's up with that

Back on topic, From Russia With Love is out ahead by quite a bit, we should be recording next Tuesday, so the vote will continue being up until then.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

In my 27 years of life in England, I genuinely don't think I've ever heard a single person talk about Canada, including during the World Cup or Olympics.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Danaru posted:

This reminds me, I love that it took until Phantom Pain for Kojima to explain what the hell "Shalashaska" was :v:

That is a loving obscure as hell word and it is also mispelled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharashka

I have only ever heard it in MGS. I did hear Sharaga, which was only ever used ironically around me. It's not swear-y per-se it does come from a...slang language/dialect, I guess?...which is.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

That is a loving obscure as hell word and it is also mispelled: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharashka

I have only ever heard it in MGS. I did hear Sharaga, which was only ever used ironically around me. It's not swear-y per-se it does come from a...slang language/dialect, I guess?...which is.

Even dumber, in MGSV (I'll put this behind spoilers just in case) it's revealed in a tape that it's apparently a combination of "Sharashka" and "Shashka", as in the cossack sword. It used to be "Sharashashka", and then it got mutated by word of mouth and accents and stuff into "Shalashaska". Kojima what.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Related to MGS V's explanation:

Yeah, that's part of the explanation. The call him Sharashka because of the secret agenty things he does and Shashka because he's a sword or something else weird.
I suppose Shalashashka is a L instead of an R because they didn't want it to be "Engrish" and messed it up even further.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How much New Game + content will we see being used? Will you continue to use the Patriot, or use boss camouflage before it would otherwise be unlocked? I'm not opposed to seeing it used or anything, I just want to know if it will be used often enough to qualify for another drinking condition.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

White Coke posted:

How much New Game + content will we see being used? Will you continue to use the Patriot, or use boss camouflage before it would otherwise be unlocked? I'm not opposed to seeing it used or anything, I just want to know if it will be used often enough to qualify for another drinking condition.

I'll likely be using the boss camo pretty sparingly, aside from a bit to show them off. The patriot will probably get stashed away unless I gently caress up really bad, which will probably trigger a bunch of drinking conditions on it's own :v:

The only outfit I foresee myself using early is the sneaking suit just because it's rad as hell.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Danaru posted:

-Canada helped Al-Qaeda do 9/11 (extra salty about this because I'm nova scotian)

So, what does Nova Scotia has to do with 9/11? Did the Bin Laden group promised to build a bridge and then retracted or what?

A friend's cousin lives in Canada. But he's also one of those guys that believe in chem-trails :v: Still a pretty cool dude who I hanged up with some years ago when I visited Quebekistan to further my studies of French.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 3 Episode 2 - Snake's Worst Day

There's a lot of dunking in this episode, sadly I'm not the dunkER in every situation :(

Incidentally, you might be able to tell that this was recorded long before I finished MGSV :v: Let's keep the MGSV spoilers to a minimum for the time being though, give everyone a chance to play through it.

:siren:Voting is still open for a few more days!:siren:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

man what is it with people and looking at nuclear detonations in games and movies? That poo poo will blind you permanently

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, The Confusion would be a pretty fitting boss for this series. Provided his deathcry would be "WHATTHEFUUUUUUUCK"...

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Well, since you asked, its time for Nuclear facts with Fae :eng101:

Whether or not Snake could realistically survive the nuclear detonation depends entirely on where he is. Between 1 and 1.25 miles away from where the nuke was detonated, you're not surviving at all. Even if you somehow manage to live through the initial blast, the amount of radiation you'd be exposed to would kill you pretty quickly, and if you managed to survive that then you have firestorms and first degree burns to live through. Since Snake is outside there's even less chance of survival in that radius so odds are pretty slim. It is possible to survive being that close to a nuclear bomb if you are very very lucky though, there's a story of a woman who survived being less than 300m away from the bomb at Hiroshima because she hid in a reinforced concrete building which shielded her from a lot of the effects. Its possible, but unlikely, and our Snake isn't having a good day today.

If he's between 1.25-3 miles out though, things are a touch more hopeful. He'd still probably suffer from burns due to the thermal radiation and since he looked at the flash he'd probably be either completely or partially blind and he'd still have to deal with radiation sickness but he'd have to get treatment incredibly quickly. Dealing with burns, eye injuries and the early symptoms of radiation poisoning at the same time wouldn't make getting help easy, especially since most communications would probably be out due to the electromagnetic energy put out by the bomb, so he'd have no way to contact Para-Medic.

So to answer the question of whether Snake would survive? No, probably not. RIP One Man Pride Parade

(Why do I know this stuff?)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Faerie Fortune posted:

Well, since you asked, its time for Nuclear facts with Fae :eng101:

Whether or not Snake could realistically survive the nuclear detonation depends entirely on where he is. Between 1 and 1.25 miles away from where the nuke was detonated, you're not surviving at all. Even if you somehow manage to live through the initial blast, the amount of radiation you'd be exposed to would kill you pretty quickly, and if you managed to survive that then you have firestorms and first degree burns to live through. Since Snake is outside there's even less chance of survival in that radius so odds are pretty slim. It is possible to survive being that close to a nuclear bomb if you are very very lucky though, there's a story of a woman who survived being less than 300m away from the bomb at Hiroshima because she hid in a reinforced concrete building which shielded her from a lot of the effects. Its possible, but unlikely, and our Snake isn't having a good day today.

If he's between 1.25-3 miles out though, things are a touch more hopeful. He'd still probably suffer from burns due to the thermal radiation and since he looked at the flash he'd probably be either completely or partially blind and he'd still have to deal with radiation sickness but he'd have to get treatment incredibly quickly. Dealing with burns, eye injuries and the early symptoms of radiation poisoning at the same time wouldn't make getting help easy, especially since most communications would probably be out due to the electromagnetic energy put out by the bomb, so he'd have no way to contact Para-Medic.

So to answer the question of whether Snake would survive? No, probably not. RIP One Man Pride Parade

(Why do I know this stuff?)

Bear in mind, though, that Volgin fired a Davy Crockett tactical recoilless nuclear gun, whose warhead had a significantly smaller payload than that of Fat Man or Little Boy.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Yeah I forgot to mention, those distances are based on Nagasaki and Hiroshima so for a smaller nuke you might actually be okay. Still probably blind and on fire though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Faerie Fortune posted:

Yeah I forgot to mention, those distances are based on Nagasaki and Hiroshima so for a smaller nuke you might actually be okay. Still probably blind and on fire though.

It probably doesn't matter how big the nuke is when you stand up and just stare at the explosion for the entire duration of it. Snake wasn't sent to Tselinoyarsk for his intelligence.

IronSaber posted:

Bear in mind, though, that Volgin fired a Davy Crockett tactical recoilless nuclear gun, whose warhead had a significantly smaller payload than that of Fat Man or Little Boy.

:stonk: Jesus christ the flying segways and the WIG I knew were real, but THAT thing was real too?! I swear to god I learn new poo poo about MGS3 every day.