Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Pretty sure Otacon doesn't have an alternate costume?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

I don't remember the cigar having any use in MGS3 aside from leeches.

There are a few uses.

You can use it when you're in the dark for a makeshift light until your eyes adjust or you find an actual source of light and you can use it as bee repellant.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

Hitting an open locker door with a girl poster on it will make a boob-honking sound instead of the usual thud, and I think it also brings a bunch of alerted soldiers in to defend their waifu's honour.

If you knock on the top half of the poster, it'll make a bouncy noise but that's it. Knocking on the bottom half calls an alert.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

pick-e posted:

You tore that harrier apart despite the handicaps and sass. Shame it was followed up by getting pissed on and diving into the ocean...

This makes two MGS games in which you can get pissed on. Did Kojima drop it with 3 or have I somehow managed to miss it all these years? Also is it to late to showoff the absolutely silly quick travel method in this game or are we now locked into Strut 2 for the long haul? By the way since its hard to tell from youtube videos, how are the HD ports visually? A worthy replacement for the originals?

3 doesn't have you get pissed on as far as I can remember. The HD ports are fantastic, they look stunning and Bluepoint games managed to get MGS3 running at a solid 60 FPS as opposed to the barely stable 30 of the PS2 version. Peace Walker also looks beautiful compared to the PSP version, but that one's a more obvious jump in visual quality.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Take a drink every time Ocelot either tries to impress Snake or admits that Snake is pretty good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

pick-e posted:

Does MGS3 also have cutscene demo shenanigans? Because that was a great way to end the episode/game.

Unfortunately, no.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Secret theater is all gone because it's all pre-rendered cutscene instead of in-engine and I guess Bluepoint either never got the assets to fix it up or didn't consider it important enough.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Say hi to alcohol poisoning for us on any session with no free lunch!

Section Z posted:

No Free lunch is just drudgery, and if I remember right, eat the same thing enough times he starts to like it.

It's true, I've seen Snake eat two horrid Russian rations in a row, with the second one recovering more stamina than the first.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Danaru posted:

It probably doesn't matter how big the nuke is when you stand up and just stare at the explosion for the entire duration of it. Snake wasn't sent to Tselinoyarsk for his intelligence.

:stonk: Jesus christ the flying segways and the WIG I knew were real, but THAT thing was real too?! I swear to god I learn new poo poo about MGS3 every day.

If it's in the game, there's an almost 100% chance it's real! :eng101:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I bet you didn't show off what happens if you take a hornet's nest into the fight then either.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Llab posted:

Whoa, what? How did I not think of that? That screams Kojima! Now I have to see this.

With Danaru's permission, here's a link to a video from my LP where I show exactly that.

https://youtu.be/MgZ68GXX-i8?t=767

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

That whole video is pretty great for "fun stupid stuff you can do in the game"

That was kind of a guideline for that LP, "what kind of stupid stuff can I do at this part of the game?" Really, MGS LPs are great for showing off lots of stupid stuff. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Iron Chitlin posted:

On the subject of effectiveness, is it me or does the "Dunk" move seem like something that shouldn't incapacitate anyone? I suppose it might knock the wind out of someone but I fail to see how throwing someone to the ground will put them out of the fight.

They land head first. I'd wager the sudden impact to the head is what KOs dudes. Though in later games, CQC dunks aren't as effective and dudes will just get back up if all you did was dunk them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's a shame you didn't show the very easy way to fight The Fear. If you manage to stun him with a stun grenade, everything that hits him while he's stunned will do stamina damage. You can get him standing still and looking away from you with the fake death pill. Once he's looking away... :getin:

Here it is in motion.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

No, no, Dan's right. Tsuchinoko gives you infinity face paint and kerotans give you stealth camouflage. You are right about Zero losing his poo poo if you call Para Medic. Both he and Sigint formed a UMA club and they're so proud of Snake for finding one. :allears:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

Weird, because the snake's clearly using stealth itself...

I'm still heartbroken to hear that Snake's Nightmare was cut from the HD mix. It's a weird minigame with zero relevance to the game where you're like, a dude with blade arms mowing down zombies. I think it might have been a tech demo. Anyways, if you call sigint right after he tells you about a nightmare he had about a metal gear made of poop, shooting poop rockets, that turned everything it hit into also poop. :allears:

If Castlevania is to be believed, then Tsuchinokos are able to bury themselves to stay out of harm's way, so that's technically not stealth camo?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

The main problem with the rematch with the Ocelots is that you're giving up the chance to fight The End for it and that's unacceptable. :colbert:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's not that you're required to get strikes, but the correct response is different depending on how many strikes you have.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

If you shoot Ocelot you get an OCELOT IS DEAD Game Over where your codec crew yells "Snake you can't kill Ocelot! You'll cause a Time Paradox!"

You also get the achievement/trophy called "Problem solved; series over!" :v:

You can get that as soon as you see him in Virtuous Mission, too! :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Some fan group tried to remake MG1 in a modern engine and David Hayter signed up to voice Snake. Then Konami shut it down. MG2 has kind of been remade with MGS1 already.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I wanna say they were going for a Rashomon kind of thing but I dunno how well they hit the mark on that.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

That music video is goofy, over the top and a little confusing, I don't know what those people are talking about, it's prime Metal Gear and I love it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

No, it doesn't. Pretty sure that extends the time the person in the pod gets to rip out hard drives and memory boards.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Bowl him over too. Never not bowl your buddies over.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Choco1980 posted:

They really are. It's funny, I realized the other day that all three "Let's play the entire [X franchise of games]" threads I read (This one, the Resident Evil one, and the Final Fantasy one) have LGBT presence in them. Speaking of, Claire, aka Fieldmouse of the GoodFriendsGaming that're doing the Final Fantasy series totally unironically is down for that gay illuminati gangtag for us Queer LPers.

Unrelated, but does anybody have a clue why Big Boss puts the wrong eye to his gun sights? He always holds the sights up to his eyepatch.

Animation reuse, probably. Given that this was a PSP game, I imagine they didn't think the correct gun sight eye was too important.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Renegade Threat is a good mission.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PC version might be the only version that lets you play custom music via iDroid or chopper speakers.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Because Hal Emmerich still needs to be born and traumatized

He already has been born. What still needs to happen is Hal stealing Huey's second wife so that he can drown himself and traumatize Emma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

PS3 has a pretty solid library, so it might be worth picking up for other things too, because I don't think I'd say MGS4 is a system seller anymore. You won't get PS2 disc compatibility unless you get one of the oldest model PS3s though, so be aware of that. Memory cards aren't compatible, but I think there might be an accessory you can buy to digitize your saves? The PS3 uses virtual memory cards for PS1 and PS2 games, in any cases