Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You are insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I do feel I have to ask: what's the point of drinking beer if you don't like hops?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Fairly sure the Rivermore National Labs are supposed to be Livermore.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like MGS2 easily the most of the bunch. Solid gameplay, good plot without going too overboard with the exposition. I know a lot of people complain about Raiden, but honestly he wouldn't be half as annoying without Rose around.

Also, if you think Mantis got screwed now, you haven't played the PC port. The game needed to be beatable so he only reads your input if you use a gamepad and you beat him by using the keyboard. Of course, very few people did have gamepads back then so this feature went completely over our heads.

edit: Actually, I like Mantis a lot especially since he provides a pretty good explanation for his creepiness in his post-fight speech: he's so disgusted by seeing the sexual drive everywhere he uses it to weird people out, ie what he did with Meryl at the start. He's a rarely self-aware bad guy, which fits with his theme of breaking the fourth wall... KOJIMA!

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The way MGS has been going, not showing up in a sequel is the best fate a character can get.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Is that... radiation?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Just take a drink whenever Rose chimes in with something completely inane and irrelevant. You'll be dead in three videos.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Jack. We'll miss you.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember any buzzwords in the tanker... Maybe Marines and Russian?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it's even mentioned in 2, except maybe for explaining why they don't freeze to death underwater.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well. I looked at the game script.
All I can say is this is how it begins
I have no idea what you're talking about, Fatman is the best character in MGS2 and totally who they should've brought back instead of loving Vamp.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Also, for the record, there's one thing Dark Id didn't cover in his LP of Ghost Babel--the game has a vr missions mode. :shepicide:
And they are completely loving bullshit. See: finish the area under a certain amount of steps.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Requesting to add "Jack" to the drinking game once the second chapter starts. Also, please show Otacon's Mei Ling impersonations, they're great.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Think you could put the MGS2 links in the OP? Thread navigation is getting harder.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what you're complaining about in the video, Fatman is easily the best villain in MGS2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

This has all been a simulation to create the perfect LPer.
Suddenly Dan's uncanny aptitude for Sonic 06 makes sense.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kal-L posted:

Any chance of a Grace episode where she's the one behind the controller? Doesn't have to be long, I'm just curious at how good she is at playing Metal Gear.
Just don't make her do the flooded maze section.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For all the poo poo this game gets, Solidus' introduction and the entire loving Arsenal Gear sequence are still awesome. And that's with multiple people yelling "Big Boss", which has to be the dumbest codename ever, at the top of their lungs.
Hell yeah.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC, getting pissed on by the guard also triggers the bomb sensor which reveals something about the nature of Fatman's cologne...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to say that, while I also love Cam Clarke, John Cygan is the man and should be in more things. I only know him as Solidus and Canderous from Knights of the Old Republic and he owns in both. He should have voiced Big Boss in MGS4.
You need to play Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Also has a really cool performance by Paul Eiding.
I mean, come on, it's Solidus and Campbell doing cowboy accents.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Sep 3, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, but easily the best moment of that MGS2 video is Grace discovering chess. Well, that and anti-Metal Gears.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 5, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

Ghost Babel is actually a REALLY good Metal Gear game. It just has a very pants-on-head crazy plot, some very frustrating mazes, and a storyline that makes it clear that the ratings board stopped very early into the game before slapping on their "E for Everybody" rank. The gameplay itself is tight as hell, and there's never any cruel, unfair spots in the game.
Box maze. Admittedly, that's more frustrating than cruel. But apart from that yeah, it's really good.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hrvstmn31 posted:

Speaking of super long cutscenes does anyone know if MGS5 has cutscenes that put MGS4's to shame?
Rumbles from the Steam thread tell me there's supposed to be less.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

For MGS3 I'm thinking I'll go with the 1 eat = one drink rule, but only have one drinking word, Shagohod.

Our next session will be arsenal straight to the end in the next couple days. I'll be ready :getin:
Aww. How about "nuclear"?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Emma's death is the only MGS death that has ever made me sad. I'm not looking forward to that episode.
Yeah, I remember it being pretty impactful the first time I played. I think it's because most games didn't really try to go for emotional scenes back then, so it was still fresh.

Her design and pretty much the entire idea are horrible, though.

edit: Actually, there's one interesting part about this sequence: this is literally the only time in the game we see Raiden in a position of strength. And what do you know, he's a pretty nice and caring fellow. Hate Emma if you will (sure as hell can't blame you for that) but she allows Jack to show his human side in a nice bit of character development.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 8, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Snakes actually do jump. Some even fly.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's just me but the audio and video get really out of sync as it goes on.
e: And then it comes back after about twenty minutes. Weird, you might want to upload that again.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 11, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

I forget, is Vamp being able to do all that poo poo (walk on water, walk up walls, survive being shot in the head, etc.) ever explained in the games? Is the explaination nanomachines?
Yes. It's what made the whole thing infamous.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Owl is a guy?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it ever was a well-thought out weapon.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Uh, what? Grace is a man?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Arsenal Gear is the best final area in any MG game.

For one thing, the music.
For another, Arsenal Tengu are awesome.
Third, crazy Colonel.
And then there's a lot more I don't feel like listing.
The RAY arena fight is cool as hell the first time when you just don't know how long will they keep coming.
It's really disappointing that none of the later games went for the mindfuck angle; they're all way more grounded and especially MGS4 really suffers from that.

edit: Seriously, who gave you your Nikita license?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 17, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Old west gunfighters would apparently only keep 5 bullets in their six shooter to avoid exactly what you're talking about. So at least you know you'd have an extra bullet in a firefight with Ocelot.
You wouldn't, he doesn't know that. See: MGS1.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love this sequence so much. It's even better if you actually buy into the AI's justification - they aren't a just a product of a society, they're ideals embodied, formed long before, and thus they neatly fit themselves into evolution.
I wonder how many people who played for the first time were actually fooled by them - thinking not that they're talking into another computer but that there really is some kind of alien/mystic thingamajig at the White House.

Oh, and Fortune's SUDDEN PLOT POWERS may be bullshit but boy, is it an amazing scene. Everything from the darkness, glowy bullets, RAY's demonic gaze, Cam Clarke appearing, it all just slides you further down from sanity and into the surreal landscape that's the AI reveal and final battle.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: MGS2's finale is a much better end to the story than MGS4's.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 20, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Can't believe I forgot about GANDER's traffic cone gun drones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC it does have some outtakes, though. I definitely seem to recall some bloopers from the Chip Cheezum LP.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you want good vodka, you should go for Polish or Finnish, those tend to actually have some kind of taste.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

"Nemo" literally means "Nobody" in his native language.
It's actually Latin but you got the rest right.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
There's the secret underground movement, painting maple leaves on their butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You know, The Confusion would be a pretty fitting boss for this series. Provided his deathcry would be "WHATTHEFUUUUUUUCK"...