Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm already super familiar with MGS thanks to my own beating of 2 and 3 and Chip's massive LPs of all the other main games and Peace Walker, but I'm still going to try and follow this one.

Also 3 is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In all honesty, Metal Gear Solid hasn't aged that badly for a PS1 game. Obviously it looks terrible by our standards, but the cinematic presentation in the cutscenes and the music still hold up. Likewise, MGS2 and 3 have way better presentation and graphics than a lot of competing games around their time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ArclightBorealis posted:

Considering I played the game in the winter of 2009 or so, a lot of the weird poo poo that people talked about with MGS I had absorbed through osmosis and pretty much knew what was required with the "code on the back of the case" deal.

Funny thing, the reason for why I started playing the game then was that I was taking Biology in high school and we were talking about genetics, and like everything else in this series, the theme of "genes" in MGS1 was something I had heard about and decided to give it a shot based on that. Was especially hilarious when Liquid started talking it up near the end despite getting the idea of dominant and recessive genes loving wrong.

But hey, could have been worse. I could have played Parasite Eve instead...

Well, Liquid was always supposed to have a really lovely idea of genes. He's basically basing his entire world view and evil plot on having no clue how science works and I guess nobody having the balls to tell him that he read the book upside-down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I choose to believe Kojima had Liquid think that genes are just a good/bad switch because it's easier to explain to the player that way. I mean, could you imagine if there was a second 20 minute stock footage filled cutscene in the span of like an hour and a half of gameplay? That won't happen until at LEAST MGS4!

(Also, Dan, I stole your drinking game for my own LP's bonus feature, I'm sorry but it was for the best worst)

MGS4 is basically a single drinking game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I will be eagerly following this every thread step of the way. MGS2 is my favorite but I think MGS1 is the best game overall.

That's a funny way to spell MGS3.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roman Reigns posted:

Frank Jaegar

Naomi Hunter

I just made the connection. :rolleye:

Somehow I never even considered this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I personally found MGS3 the best of the group. The mechanics still aren't totally modern and smooth (though the Subsistence version adds a regular third-person camera mode like 4 had), but it lets you play quiet or loud without massive penalty and has a lot of neat features like the food and medical stuff. It's got really great music and the characters are mostly pretty awesome, and it fully embraces every insane 1960s spy film trope mixed with the Kojima craziness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MGS2 and 3 were pretty ahead of the curve for the PS2 era. They had drat good graphics for their time, but they also had a major focus on motion-captured cutscenes that made them feel like CG movies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Naomi is specifically Rhodesian, which had a predominately white government and had a 3.7% white population (about 308,000 people) around the time Naomi was born.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

pick-e posted:

What are the conditions to get the time bomb? I feel like I've gotten it each time I've played whether surviving the torture or not.

The time bomb is always planted in your inventory, thankfully with a 25 minute timer (and a Deepthroat call just in case you're really dumb or unlucky) so it's hard to completely miss it unless you're DarkSydePhil.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

Let's all take a moment to remember everything Liquid Snake survived:
A Hind D crash
Being hit by Stinger missiles
Being inside a giant robot as said robot blew up.
Falling off the top of the giant robot
Being crushed under a car

And yet after all of this he thought he was the inferior one... Liquid, you loving say falling off Rex will kill Snake. Yet it can't kill you. Put 2 and 2 together, buddy.

You forgot "Walking around Alaska in the winter without a shirt". He probably died of hypothermia before FOXDIE.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

Drinking game ideas:

Nanomachine(s) <-def this one
President
La-li-lu-le-lo
Patriots
Bomb
Metal Gear

Don't do this one if you're playing 4. You literally will not survive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danaru posted:

Nanomachines is going to be a drinking word for all of MGS4, executive order :getin:

Also just to bring it up, I've got a list of drinking words, and before each recording session (usually 3-5 episodes), I'll run a quick RNG to add two or three drinking words to the list

-Always Drinking Words
Jack
Patriots of LaLiLuLeLo

-RNG list
Nanomachines
Nuclear
Codec
Exercise
Snake
Genome
Hack
Bomb
President

-Only on the list for Plant
Memes
VR Training

-Only on the list for Tanker
Marines
Russian

This is gonna be good.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't think the word "Memes" is actually used in MGS2. If it is, it's very, very rare. Oh the concept is all over the place but I always thought of the game's main theme being Nurture. After all, MGS1 was Nature, dealing heavily with the fact Snake is a clone and if that fact prevents him from being his own person. MGS2 deals with how we are raised (Nurture) and if that absolutely determines who we become.

I'm pretty sure it's used, but Revengeance makes a bigger deal of its usage.

Monsoon: "Memes. The DNA of the soul. They shape our will. They are the culture -- they are everything we pass on. Expose someone to anger long enough, they will learn to hate. They become a carrier. Envy, greed, despair... All memes. All passed along."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Choco1980 posted:

So, only tangentially related, the other afternoon I was watching some dumb fairy tale movie with my kid. The king seemed to have a familiar voice, but the actor was listed as Kelly Brewster, with zero other credits. I did some investigating, and my hunch was correct--it was Cam Clarke completely phoning it in with absolutely zero effort.

"Now I remember. The queen's on the right."