Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germ
May 7, 2013

OATH COMPLETE!!

Here's the month's oath. I'm claiming the yellow bonus technical challenge for Monsieur Goldbug.

A couple pieces of scatter terrain I've been playing around with casting.

The cottage was a cast I had made from a failed mold when I started experimenting with casting buildings. Figured I'd paint the best cast from the bunch before I decided what to do with the mold.

Here's a cast hill I've been playing around with. While I like the look of it, the slopes are too steep to be playable. Hill mk 2 is in the works!

The models are NOT part of my oath, but this is what my movement trays were for. Putrid Blightkings and some converted chaos hounds. The tray in the back is destined for some Plague Drones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
OATH COMPLETE!

I am actually happy with how my first Assassin came out. The white lines I painted pretty much match completely with the way the lighting plays on the models.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

enri posted:

Ok, I'll bite...

I, enri, oath to paint...

1 x TIE fighter, manufacturer is Fantasy Flight Games, 1/270 scale

All primed and ready to go, if I'm on the ball with this one (and it all goes to plan) I might be able to nobble the speed paint bonus point right off the bat :)

There will be an oath addition at some point, I just need to find something fitting for a yellow paint job...

:siren: Oath Addition! :siren:

Got to paint something up yellow.. I took this photo a few days back and haven't had a chance to post it until now, hope that's ok.

4 x astronauts / biohazard guys, can't remember the manufacturer (GNG maybe), 15mm scale

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete!

All the little soldier guys are waiting for the school bus, excited for the first day of war.

Backstory:
"HEY! Settle down back there! Now listen up! I am Mr. Wilson, your bus driver. THIS is MY bus!
I expect you all to behave like proper soldiers as long as you're on MY bus. Don't get any funny ideas, I WILL turn this thing
around as soon as I hear the first 'Billy stole my iron ration' or 'Jimmy shot me in the foot'. Then the general will get pissed
that a busload of recruits are missing from the battle, and I'll have to explain how you where acting like jerks. Then he'll
court-martial you all, and you don't what that now do you? Good. Now... Which one of you is Johnny? You? I'm keeping my eye on you.
Now, let's go, we don't want to miss the first day of war."
Mr. Wilson turns to the controls and mutters under his breath.
"I've been doing this for 42 years, and there's always a loving Johnny."

Stuff done this month:
The 6-pack!, Backstory and the bus challenge.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I, jodai, oath these two Torakage(Wyrd miniatures, 32mm) for May.

At least one of them is going to be yellow.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Oath complete!
The gnomish Mage guy is for the May technical jurnal. I wanted to do a better job with him but tonight was probably going to be the last night I could paint this month so I had to start and finish him up at a tabletop quality.

The shields and banners are a little bland because I have some transfers for them I am going to apply at some point.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 28, 2015

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Reaper Bones "Vandorenda, Snake Demon" for the month of May

I freely admit to taking full advantage of the new oath time limit changes.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oath Addition of a 3 part building by Underground Lasers:

Third oath of the month! Adding on 9 converted Lychguard!

Stanyer89 posted:

I am oathing my sanguinary priest w/ sanguinary guard jump pack.

Zark the Damned posted:

:siren: Oath Addition :siren:

Adding one Gnome to my Oath. 28mm, unknown manufacturer (possibly very old GW)

Going for Speed Painting on this one 'cause I need him for tomorrow's XCrawl :)

Loving the idea for the sponsor contests. I have a KR case somewhere around here, need to think up something to do with it...
Thanks! I really want to boost the sponsor stuff, because the forum is behind a paywall and basically inaccessible to literally everyone, and as we've seen it's hard to hang onto sponsors...more on that later!

moths posted:

:siren:OATH ADDITION!:siren:

I, moths, oath this sprue of 28mm Palisade Fencing by Renedra. (A twig and some craft sticks are involved.)

moths posted:

Well poo poo. I forgot to actually paste this into my oath addition post:

That's what being in a hurry gets you.
ha! I was wondering :)

Germ posted:

Yet another OATH ADDITION!

One resin building, by yours truly, and one 28mm Reaper Bones beetle.

Raphus C posted:

I oath one Flashgit: (28mm GW)

thespaceinvader posted:

This might be a bit brave coming just AFTER the bank holiday, and with a busy work week and my birthday next weekend but gently caress it, that's what this thread is for.

Oathing two Tiik Champions by Reaper Bones. They will be inverse colours of each other, and painted like angelfish.

Yup, yellow.

Thundercloud posted:

I, Thundercloud, making what may be my last oath addition of the month, oath 3 GW Imperial Assassins (Culexus, Vindicare, Eversor) and 1 Fantasy Flight Tradoshan Bounty Hunter.

I think you can guess which one will be yellow.

2 pictures, 1 showing the time and 1 showing the models properly.

Lord Thrust posted:

I, Lord Thrust, oath, with meager ability and as much yellow as I can muster, this 28mm GW Chaos Spawn for May 2015. May the ruinous powers speed my hand.

enri posted:

:siren: Oath Addition! :siren:

Got to paint something up yellow.. I took this photo a few days back and haven't had a chance to post it until now, hope that's ok.

4 x astronauts / biohazard guys, can't remember the manufacturer (GNG maybe), 15mm scale

jodai posted:

I, jodai, oath these two Torakage(Wyrd miniatures, 32mm) for May.

At least one of them is going to be yellow.

Schmetterling posted:

I, Schmetterling, hereby Oath this Reaper Bones "Vandorenda, Snake Demon" for the month of May
I freely admit to taking full advantage of the new oath time limit changes.

Sorry for being late! Been chasing sponsors and working on other stuff...All Oaths Accepted!

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

I saw the announcement of the sponsored contest, but forgot about it completely until it got mentioned just now. Could a mention be added to the first few posts somewhere? Maybe near the themes/photos/winners/etc lists? Especially if there are maybe going to be more of these.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Schmetterling posted:

I saw the announcement of the sponsored contest, but forgot about it completely until it got mentioned just now. Could a mention be added to the first few posts somewhere? Maybe near the themes/photos/winners/etc lists? Especially if there are maybe going to be more of these.

Ah yes - I meant to add them to the OP the night I posted them :)

enri
Dec 16, 2003

The KR one is for June isn't it? I've got the perfect idea, assuming I can use the small KR dice case as my er... 'subject'.. :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

enri posted:

The KR one is for June isn't it? I've got the perfect idea, assuming I can use the small KR dice case as my er... 'subject'.. :)

Yes - KR is for June, future months for other sponsors that want to take part*. You can use any KR product (apart from their dice)

*and that I/we can figure out things for - it'll be hard to do a sponsor month thing for our brush sponsor, Springer-Pinsel, because we won't be able to say for sure that anyone used their brushes

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
And just as I'm about to post a big begging post for goon sponsors (which I'll still do, we are actually pretty low on sponsors), a major brand name steps up to help out :) As soon as I get details on what they can offer I'll post the update :D

(but if you're a goon and can help out with prizes or want to donate stuff please let me know!)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I'm still willing to donate that stuff to the UK Grab bag. Will dig out the gallery link later.

EDIT: Found it: http://imgur.com/a/VGpre

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 28, 2015

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
A thought about the paywall thing, would it help if we had some sort of an external page that show cased the oaths and judgements each month? We could then slap sponsor logos on it and potentially use it to raise the profile of the oath thread.

Obviously you would still need to be a member to take part and things would carry on here as normal.

It could potentially be something as simple as a WordPress blog in a gallery format.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Possibly a FB Group? We already have showcases for each month via Krush's Google Slideshows (which are awesome) so maybe it's a case of posting links somewhere?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

A thought about the paywall thing, would it help if we had some sort of an external page that show cased the oaths and judgements each month? We could then slap sponsor logos on it and potentially use it to raise the profile of the oath thread.

I do have the wiki page links (which I do send to all prospective sponsors) in the OP, no idea why I never thought to use WordPress, because I literally manage 4 WP sites. The wiki page is a pain in the rear end to edit but it does have links to the spreadsheet when it gets going, the latest photo album and pics of the Judgements. I'll see how quickly I can transfer that over to a WP site, though.

I've also thought about starting a Facebook group (I also manage a few of those), but didn't know what you guys would think about that. It would be a nice 'external' way to brag about your models and share top 3 judgements, and we have had a couple of sponsors ask about sharing stuff to their own FB pages too. Plus, it's a great way for all of us to 'meet' outside of SA, but I also know many goons actually don't like to do that. So I'll leave that up to you guys to discuss/vote on.

Zark, I'll add your stuff to the UK/EU grab bag album for season 6, I must have kept forgetting to do that last time! Are you OK to post it from where you're at or do you want to send it to me to post out?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

krushgroove posted:

Sorry for being late! Been chasing sponsors and working on other stuff...All Oaths Accepted!

Should be posting my complete oath plus extras later today but just checking, I think you might have missed my oath on page 4 for some Winterguard from Warmachine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I would not want to link my SA identity with my FB identity, but a FB page still might be a good idea, just to show off what we're doing in a way sponsors can see, without being behind a paywall. A Wordpress site might be even better for that, though, since it doesn't involve FB potentially planting conflicting advertising onto the page.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
Oath Addition! With my dwarf riflemen almost done, I'm adding a single Gnome Long Gunner, by Stonehaven miniatures, 28mm. Since my pattern is already planned, I'm trying a for a twenty four hour speed-painting challenge.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

krushgroove posted:

...but I also know many goons actually don't like to do that.

Ha, funnily enough I saw you pop up in one of the terrain making groups on FB recently and almost sent you a friend request but wasn't sure how you'd feel about a random goon adding you out of the blue :)

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Oath Complete!

Old Uncle Joe and 5 Winterguard.

I meant to oath the rest as additions but ended up accidentally painting them all in a post-work fugue, so here are their buddies for completion's sake.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 29, 2015

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd like to see a Facebook group, but don't want any random freakshow grognards harassing my family with murder-rape threats over my elfgame opinions.

Is there a Facebook group setting that's semi-anonymous? Or maybe just avoid the thing entirely and do a Wordpress.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Anonymity is antithetical to Facebook's paradigm, unfortunately. Their whole bag is real people and their real names (which can be more effectively advertised-to. Always remember: you are not Facebook's customer, you are their product.)

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I'm fine with hosting pictures on WP or FB, but think WP would be more acceptable to all involved.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

OATH COMPLETE!

I fell off the wagon last December but I am back on board with some loving squig hoppers:

Very happy with how everyone turned out. Unfortunately these are the coolest sculpts I own so it may be downhill from here!

More shots of the big guy, who is obviously my technical challenge:

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Oath Complete!

Season Sixer!

Some closer shots:

Yellow!

She reminds me of April from teenage mutant ninja turtles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK well. This is fairly pathetic, but it's probably what I have time for.

For May 2015, I oath this young lady! A Reaper Bones miniature.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I think if you make the group closed on FB that stops it from blasting onto everyone's newsfeed. Or that's how it works for the local warhammer groups I have joined. Now my work colleges and distant relatives don't know I am occasionally arranging nerd battles with my demons.

I'm still fine with a wordpress or whatever if that would help our anonymity and still look good to our sponsors.

Oh, and I better get an oath in soon. Such a crazy month.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OATH COMPLETE!

Claiming this month's Theme, obviously her fashionable slicker and galoshes are quite yellow.

Also claiming SPEED PAINTING! Under 2 hours, and that included time to drive to the train station to pick up my wife.

OK. Not a brilliant paint job, but the details on this mini were a tad mushy, and I did it entirely with about eight different minitaire paints, and one kind of shagged-out brush, and I'm actually quite happy with how the yellow came out. I went for a orangish shade, and her face came out pretty decent too. I wanted white hair, but I shadowed it with sepia ink, and I think it came out bleached blonde, which is OK.

I might try to take some better pictures in the sunlight tomorrow.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I think if you make the group closed on FB that stops it from blasting onto everyone's newsfeed. Or that's how it works for the local warhammer groups I have joined. Now my work colleges and distant relatives don't know I am occasionally arranging nerd battles with my demons.

I'm still fine with a wordpress or whatever if that would help our anonymity and still look good to our sponsors.

Oh, and I better get an oath in soon. Such a crazy month.

The problem with a closed group is that random people are less likely to stumble across it and see that our sponsors are amazing people.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

nopantsjack posted:

Meant to do this for my first load of warmachine but oh well, lets give my first oath a go.

I oath Uncle Joe and five Winter Guard

Accept the worst oathing image ever.

A close up to show the black smears are actually models!

Models:
1x Kovnick Jozef Grigorovich
4x Winterguard Infantry
1x Winterguard Rocketeer
From Privateer Press

I may well end up painting more of these by the end of May in which case they'll probably end up in my finished picture.

Sorry I missed this one!

Weirdo posted:

Oath Addition! With my dwarf riflemen almost done, I'm adding a single Gnome Long Gunner, by Stonehaven miniatures, 28mm. Since my pattern is already planned, I'm trying a for a twenty four hour speed-painting challenge.

Leperflesh posted:

OK well. This is fairly pathetic, but it's probably what I have time for.

For May 2015, I oath this young lady! A Reaper Bones miniature.

Oaths Accepted!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 29, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
To keep the Oathing stuff in a separate post, just wanted to say about the Facebook group (not page), if we started one:
  • first of all it would be *in addition to* this thread and the web page (be it WordPress or wiki)
  • further to the above, joining the Facebook group would be OPTIONAL, not required, if you don't want to connect IRL/online with other goons outside of SA that's fine, just don't join
  • further to the above, the photo albums would continue to be on Google Photos (especially now that they're free, unlimited, for life), NOT posted only on Facebook - although the top 3 photos at least would be posted in albums to the group
  • it would also be a closed group, so no one outside the group would be able to read or see the posts in it
  • I think for sanity I'll have to be the sole admin, hopefully there's a setting where members are not allowed to add random FB members
  • in the interests of goon privacy, we might have to figure how to confirm a username is linked to an IRL name - potentially (off the top of my head) goons would email me directly, I'd give you some simple password, then you ask for membership to the group using your username and password - there would probably be some easier way to do this but I literally just thought of that while I was typing
  • prize photos, announcements, photo album links and other stuff would be posted in there, as well as 'good job' messages and other stuff (hopefully family-friendly but whatever)
  • you guys would have my solemn promise that I won't change the group status from Closed to Open (I see some game group pages do that), so you could post a comment like 'phroar' about whatever titty cheesecake models (or giant alien space robits) that may get posted and your Aunt Bertha and Uncle Maurice won't see whatever you might have to say
  • and finally a heads-up that sponsors would be invited to see the Facebook page, so there will be a few non-goons seeing the page, but again you don't have to interact with them at all

Hopefully that settles any fears (which seem to be mostly about personal privacy, which is understandable). For the record, the only IRL info that's been given to anyone regarding the Oath stuff is so that people can be sent stuff from sponsors, whether they are fellow goons or companies giving us awesome stuff. I'm happy to friend anyone on Facebook (so feel free enri!) because in my day job (and one of my side jobs) I'm fairly 'known' within our little niche industry, but I know this is a rare thing, and even rarer among goons of a certain disposition.

OK. So about the site - I think I will transition the wiki page to a WordPress site for sure, although I can't say when that will happen. I've got a full-time job, painting commissions as one of my side jobs and a fiancee' who for some reason wants me to spend time with her, so I'll get to it when I get to it :) I 'know' WordPress, having run several of my own blogs/sites on there and managing a couple of others (similar to the FB pages).

I think that about covers it...? Anything else? I'm not going to do anything right away so we can have a bit more discussion about it, but we are heading into a rainy weekend (surprise, Britain!) so I will likely have some time in the next couple of days. If we come to some consensus and general agreement I'll get started.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 29, 2015

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pash posted:

Oath Complete!

Just wanted to say I really dig the blue take on Circle!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

krushgroove posted:

To keep the Oathing stuff in a separate post, just wanted to say about the Facebook group (not page), if we started one:
  • first of all it would be *in addition to* this thread and the web page (be it WordPress or wiki)
  • further to the above, joining the Facebook group would be OPTIONAL, not required, if you don't want to connect IRL/online with other goons outside of SA that's fine, just don't join
  • further to the above, the photo albums would continue to be on Google Photos (especially now that they're free, unlimited, for life), NOT posted only on Facebook - although the top 3 photos at least would be posted in albums to the group
  • it would also be a closed group, so no one outside the group would be able to read or see the posts in it
  • I think for sanity I'll have to be the sole admin, hopefully there's a setting where members are not allowed to add random FB members
  • in the interests of goon privacy, we might have to figure how to confirm a username is linked to an IRL name - potentially (off the top of my head) goons would email me directly, I'd give you some simple password, then you ask for membership to the group using your username and password - there would probably be some easier way to do this but I literally just thought of that while I was typing
  • prize photos, announcements, photo album links and other stuff would be posted in there, as well as 'good job' messages and other stuff (hopefully family-friendly but whatever)
  • you guys would have my solemn promise that I won't change the group status from Closed to Open (I see some game group pages do that), so you could post a comment like 'phroar' about whatever titty cheesecake models (or giant alien space robits) that may get posted and your Aunt Bertha and Uncle Maurice won't see whatever you might have to say
  • and finally a heads-up that sponsors would be invited to see the Facebook page, so there will be a few non-goons seeing the page, but again you don't have to interact with them at all

Hopefully that settles any fears (which seem to be mostly about personal privacy, which is understandable). For the record, the only IRL info that's been given to anyone regarding the Oath stuff is so that people can be sent stuff from sponsors, whether they are fellow goons or companies giving us awesome stuff. I'm happy to friend anyone on Facebook (so feel free enri!) because in my day job (and one of my side jobs) I'm fairly 'known' within our little niche industry, but I know this is a rare thing, and even rarer among goons of a certain disposition.

OK. So about the site - I think I will transition the wiki page to a WordPress site for sure, although I can't say when that will happen. I've got a full-time job, painting commissions as one of my side jobs and a fiancee' who for some reason wants me to spend time with her, so I'll get to it when I get to it :) I 'know' WordPress, having run several of my own blogs/sites on there and managing a couple of others (similar to the FB pages).

I think that about covers it...? Anything else? I'm not going to do anything right away so we can have a bit more discussion about it, but we are heading into a rainy weekend (surprise, Britain!) so I will likely have some time in the next couple of days. If we come to some consensus and general agreement I'll get started.

I like everything said apart from the closed part of the Facebook group. If only SA forum members can see it, and membership has to be verified to join it, is it doing anything that this thread doesn't already do?

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Zark, I'll add your stuff to the UK/EU grab bag album for season 6, I must have kept forgetting to do that last time! Are you OK to post it from where you're at or do you want to send it to me to post out?

I'm good to post stuff from here.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Ugleb posted:

I like everything said apart from the closed part of the Facebook group. If only SA forum members can see it, and membership has to be verified to join it, is it doing anything that this thread doesn't already do?

Sponsors will be able to view and link to it on Facebook, that's all. No one but goons can see this thread, so it's just a thing for sponsors to link to, in addition to the web site. Spreading the word via social media helps when there's more than one platform at work, for some (like Prodos) they're much more active on Facebook than their actual WWW site, for other companies they still update a lot via their website. Also, as a closed group you wouldn't be able to share pictures FROM it, but you could share pictures TO it.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 29, 2015

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

JerryLee posted:

Just wanted to say I really dig the blue take on Circle!

Thanks! There is some part of me that wont let me paint armies the color they are in the fluff or whatever... so I decided a blue winter circle would be awesome.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Under 15 posted:

OATH COMPLETE!
Goblin Green bases crew represent :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
NEW SPONSOR ANNOUNCEMENT!

Wargames Tournaments
is another NEW sponsor!
Their ebay store
Their Facebook page

Wargames Tournaments are a UK-based company that specialize in MDF terrain kits for 28mm and 10mm wargamers. They offer everything from 'orky' buildings and barricades to bases, vehicle add-ons, warp portals, crates, terrain bases, bridges, roads and telephone poles, plus ruined and intact city terrain. They're especially known for their huge Necromunda-style terrain, newly available in a squared-modular style familiar to any player of the classic game.

Some samples of their products:

I don't know yet exactly what products they'll be sending for prizes, but once they arrive I'll post pictures!

...and there's still one more new sponsor to announce :)

• Locked thread