Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:madmax: Mad Max: Fury Road thread is here. :madmax:
:madmax: Old Mad Max game thread is here. :madmax:

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, Windows

Release Dates: (NA) 1/09/2015, (AUS) 2/09/2015, (EU) 4/09/2015

Mad Max: The Game is being developed by Avalanche Studios, the same people who brought you the Just Cause series and Renegade Ops. The game is NOT a movie tie-in with George Miller's upcoming Fury Road, but it will reference and pay homage to the films (spot the references in the trailers!). That said, the plot is a very Mad Max plot: while wandering through the wastelands, he is ambushed by marauders and has his car stolen, prompting him to get another car to go get the first one back. Not much more is needed as long as weird poo poo happens and the gameplay is fun, right? The trailers look promising regarding weird poo poo, and reports hint that the gameplay will be good too. Ammo is scarce, so you need to rely on melee or using your car as a weapon. Oh yeah, your car is a weapon and can be customized to your specific playstyle with salvaged parts. It sounds like they want to emphasize action and avoid stealth segments--also a plus.

I won't say much more. There was a dearth of information for a while, but as the movie release date looms near a whole bunch of new info has come out. So I'll leave the rest of this post dedicated to relevant links and images.

Trailers:
Official website, Facebook page, YouTube, and Twitter account:

http://www.madmaxgame.com/age_gate/

https://www.facebook.com/MadMaxGame

https://www.youtube.com/user/madmaxgame

https://twitter.com/MadMaxGame

Tie-in comics have been released. There are two "motion comics" available to watch here: http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38458

Game Informer spent a whole month doing features on various aspects of the game, including the hand-to-hand combat, vehicular combat, the various enemy factions, car customization and salvage, the setting, the plot, and a few other things. This is a great place to go if you're interested in more detailed information about the game, seriously

Oh yeah, and there's this:

You can get it at Amazon, Walmart, Target, Best Buy, or GameStop if you really feel the need for a car with a few more spikes.
(Unfortunately, no word on Aunty Entity DLC pre-order skins)

I'm hoping this will be a good one. The last Mad Max game was this:

So the bar isn't exactly set high.

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: WHOA, THE GAME IS NOW OUT!!! :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

The new Mad Max game has been released for Xbox One, PS4, and PC. Reviews are mixed. The overall consensus is that it's a well-made open-world game that doesn't reinvent the wheel. If you dig Arkham-style combat, mixed with Mercenaries/Far Cry-esque exploration, Just Cause 2-like explosions, sprinkled in with a bit of Red Dead Redemption world-building, and mixed into the Mad Max universe, then it'll probably be right up your alley. If you're kind of worn out on the whole "open-world" thing, then don't worry about it. Metacritic scores Mad Max at about a 7.1 overall.

If it helps, people have been able to get PC keys for it for around $20 on release day. Also, the PC is supposed to be a pretty awesome port and sounds like it has been well optimized.

FURY ROAD SWEETFX MOD:

DOWNLOAD HERE

Joe Gillian posted:

I made a Fury Road SweetFX+Reshade preset.

Here are some screens:

EDIT: Completely re-did the colors. Originally had too much blue, and sand kicking up/sun made it impossible to see the ground.

Joe Gillian posted:

I uploaded the new package. I recommend turning the gamma down to 30 at the highest to compensate for the brilliance of the white hot sands and the sun in the Great White. Set your gamma to like 30 or lower so you don't burn your eyes.

Edit: Also yeah, I'm going to see if I can do something about the brightness one last time. I wish the game had brightness settings. Final attempt added. I think I found a decent middleground, as I used Great White as a template for the highest amount lighting in the game.

T1g4h posted:

The Fury Road SweetFX preset from the OP is a sight to behold. Colors loving pop and sunsets are insanely brilliant. Night time is wicked looking as well:

This loving game :allears:

BUT SHOULD YOU PLAY IT???

Mad Max seems like a pretty fun game. Don't take my word for it, though, but witness these 15 reasons as provided by goons:

1 - Mad Max is a really pretty game.

CJacobs posted:

Quick quality update: Past that weird color error that I had, it's fantastic. Loads of graphics options, runs very smoothly, looks beautiful. Also it has native xbone/ps4 controller support which is surprising given that PC games usually don't.

edit: Also, the screenshot mode is UNBELIEVABLY extensive and it has a complete free-cam mode which is pretty mind boggling to me for some reason. I don't know if it was covered in the pre-release stuff or not but drat, you can zoom pretty far out with it. Lots of fun instagram filters too :v:

This is gonna be a lot of fun to mess around with in fights and on pretty vistas and such.

T1g4h posted:

This game is insanely pretty sometimes :allears:

(from CJacobs)

(from Tony Montana)

(from drunkill)

2 - Mad Max is a really good PC port.

midge posted:

From my experience, this port appears flawless. The support hotswaps between keyboard/mouse and controller the moment you press ether of them. it's seamless. Obviously, I don't own a copy on both but it doesn't feel like a unconsidered port at all.

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

It's actually a really good PC port. It's the Anti-Arkham Knight.

Frogfingers posted:

If anyone is in doubt about your PC, I can run the game at max settings with a Nvidia 760 and a 1080p monitor. This thing is optimised to the finest detail and the minimum requirements are pretty generous.

Deakul posted:

Played for an hour, alt tabbed right now, this game is ridiculously fun holy poo poo.
And what an AMAZING port, it runs incredibly well maxed out on my modest rig with my 750ti and i5.

3 - Mad Max has a really satisfying combat system, on foot and in a car.

Songbearer posted:

Convoy battles are such a loving spectacle. Rejoyce if you have one of the guys that belch flame from their car in them, because more often than not they'll crispy fry half the convoy for you :v:

I'm so glad they kept Shadow of Mordor's screencap function.

Cactrot posted:

This is the best way to take down a tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9aG3Dq8IkE

Parkingtigers posted:

That's awesome. Nitro boosting through them's also pretty cool.

Parkingtigers posted:

Played this most of the day yesterday, already got a ton more hours in today, and I'm only 13% complete with 5 story missions finished. Just spending all my time chasing cars, hunting scrap, and a good chunk of my time goes into the photo mode. The PS4's video recorder is getting a hefty workout too, I just wanna record every fight, they all feel SO loving GOOD.

Here's 2 minutes of a random fight against a truck of War Boys, in which I discovered weapon parries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZZLz5ZR_Mw

And another short fight dodging flaming wreckage to try and get back in the Magnum Opus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPIHigXWlv4

Game good.

4 - Mad Max has War Boys, and they're a bunch of dickheads.

BexGu posted:

God I love the random poo poo that happens in Open World games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG-L3rm2y8w

mlmp08 posted:

This is pretty boilerplate stuff, but I love how sneaky this Warboy thinks he is until he isn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JCXiEJ-cgU

5 - Mad Max has a harpoon.

(from Tony Montana)

(from Capn Beeb)

6 - Mad Max has sick jumps.

(from Tony Montana)

(from Basil Brush)

(from Songbearer)

7 - Mad Max can combine the harpoon with sick jumps.

T1g4h posted:

Hey you guys I did a thing!

Was showing my roomie the harpoon and he goes "Wait... Can you harpoon a dude, drag him behind your car, and launch off a jump?" Why I never thought about trying that until he suggested it is beyond me but the answer is yes, yes you can. So I made a kite out of a War Boy :v:

8 - Mad Max has an upgradeable beard.

(from Tony Montana)

(from Capn Beeb)

9 - Mad Max has a dog

Daztek posted:

GOTY

Also this run amazingly, everything on (mad) max with my 2500k/970gtx.

(from Parkingtigers)

10 - Mad Max has amazing physics.

Daztek posted:

I hit a corpse on the ground with my car and it flipped me like this and launched the corpse :allears:

(from SpaceGhostFarts)

12 - Mad Max can eat maggots to survive.

Korgan posted:

Apparently eating delicious maggots gets you an achievement.

(from Tony Montana)

13 - Mad Max has a tonne of customization options to play with.

Capn Beeb posted:

It's fun as poo poo and I've barely scratched the service. Saw a lone car stopped on the road, so I rammed it and got out for looting. But he had a friend that tried to smoosh me, so I dodged aside and blasted his fuel tank with a quickdraw shotgun :ocelot::clint:

Also car customization is insanely deep. Oh sure you COULD throw on that bigger V6, but all that weight of a bigger block is gonna eat away at your handling.

Edit:

holy poo poo one of my favorite Fury Road vehicles is in this

Last row, second from left. It's Elvis!

http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Ford_3_Window_Coupe_1932_%22Elvis%22

Also screenshot of the graphics options:

There's a lot of fiddling to be had :toot:

(from Capn Beeb)

(from Capn Beeb)

(from Daztek)

(from Songbearer)

(from drunkill)

(from Daztek)

he1ixx posted:

It is a great driving game! Upgrade your car. Mine handles great now (there are front and back mounted heads that boost handling too). I am at the top of the V6 food chain with the best shocks and tires available and the car handles really well and its super fun to drive.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, what? The hood ornaments actually influence your car's stats? I've just been using the happiest-looking skull :stare:

Parkingtigers posted:

Yup, it just doesn't tell you the stats when you pick them up. Right now I'm rocking a death ram skull for extra attack at the front, and the Gryo Captain helmet at the back for extra handling.

TRON JEREMY posted:

if you strap half a tricycle to your bumper you go faster

14 - Mad Max has big gently caress-off sand storms that strike at random.

(from Capn Beeb)

Parkingtigers posted:

Also here's what it looks like when a storm rolls in. Dog didn't like that wall of sand.

http://youtu.be/zOghLMXue40

15 - Mad Max has a game world that is generally just a bizarre and wonderful place.

Evil Canadian posted:

I accidentally smoked one of the sidequest givers out in the world with the car because I couldn't brake in time, and then it gave me "quest complete: mercy kill" :stare:

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah me too lol. Just couldn't stop in time and smushed him before I could do anything. Got the tick box too and laughed.

(from Tony Montana)

Daztek posted:

I found some friends.

We had a party.

:stare:

(from Tony Montana)

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

The Fury Road thread over in the movie forum had a post suggesting that there's no bullshit invisible walls on the border of the game world, just huge storms.

Huge storms full of precious high tier salvage.

Face the storm, get loot. :q:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm stoked for a mad max game of car combats and barehand batman fights in the desert. such a shame this game will be loving destroyed in sales since it had the hilarious misfortune of announcing it will release on the same day as MGS5 aka "Kojim'a Swan Song"

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
The title of the thread is misleading considering Just Cause 3 is also gonna be a thing. Still a Mad Max game might be fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
haha, i thought they cancelled just cause 3. oh well.

Capn Beeb posted:

The Fury Road thread over in the movie forum had a post suggesting that there's no bullshit invisible walls on the border of the game world, just huge storms.

That's true!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/06/10-badass-things-we-did-in-mad-maxs-open-world.aspx?PostPageIndex=2 posted:

Drive Into The Big Nothing

After Avalanche Studios told me that Mad Max's sizeable open Wasteland has soft boundaries, the first thing I did was drive straight for the edge of the map. The geographical indications that you're leaving the defined territory of the world are subtle. Gradually, things become flatter, dustier, and more desolate. Then, "Warning: You are entering The Big Nothing" flashes on the screen around the time you see a gigantic wall of sand rising off in the distance. The huge sandstorm seems like it might take several minutes to intercept you, but it barrels forth at a surprising clip.

Eventually, Max and his Magnum Opus are enveloped in a blinding cloud of dust. The winds send pieces of deadly debris flying towards your car, threatening to shred it to bits. However, the player's impetus (beside suicide) for driving into The Big Nothing lies within the extra-rare pieces of useful scrap metal flying within the storm. Unfortunately for me, my car is struck by the storm's lightning and explodes before I can collect anything useful.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

That's true!

As did I. But it's up for pre-order on steam!

Also driving in The Big Nothing sounds legit amazing.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It reminds me a lot of the new Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3/4, Shadow of Mordor and Just Cause (with a bit of a Rage style thrown in).

Hopefully it isn't trying to be too many things badly and does a few things well.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Can I make my character an anti-Semite?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Am I seeing rightly that I can have some kind of car-goblin, or does this game have some kind of multiplayer mode where someone can jump in the back of your car and use rocket launchers and the Just Cause grappling hook?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's the former. You get a dude who is basically your peon and allows for you to do sweet stuff like harpooning cars and then diving onto them without losing your Magnum Opus. I think there are some other gameplay mechanics based around it, like if you find yourself on foot on one side of the map, you can get your buddy to drop off the car at your location.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Thread needs a new title because Just Cause 3 is coming out and looks great.

Mad Max also looks great.

Video games are cool.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Someone come up with a sweet new title and i'll PM a mod

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Blind Sally posted:

That's true!
That's so loving cool.

I hope to god this game doesn't suck. Arkham Origins finally got me bored of that setting for this type of gameplay and I loving love The Road Warrior.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm the guy getting thrown out of every vehicle

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
looks like it could be fun and I love Mad Max stuff

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Blind Sally posted:

Chaps & Guzzoline

Both are essential imho, just work them in there somewhere :v:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Blind Sally posted:

Smegma crazies to the left! The gate! Gayboy berserkers, to the gate! (Mad Max)

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Mad Max: Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror. Just walk away.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
This is gonna be awesome but its gonna require 800 gigs hd space, windows 11 and directx 18.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Smegma crazies to the left! The gate! Gayboy berserkers, to the gate! (Mad Max)

There has been too much violence, too much pain.
None here are without sin.
I am gravely disappointed.
Again you have made me unleash my dogs of war.
Look at what remains of your gallant scouts.
Why? Because you're selfish!
You hoard your gasoline.

Now, my prisoners say you plan to take your gasoline out of the Wasteland.
You sent them out this morning to find a vehicle.
A rig big enough to haul that fat tank of gas.
What a puny plan!
Look around you.
This is the Valley of Death.

But I have an honorable compromise.
Just walk away.
Give me the pump ,the oil ,the gasoline ,and the whole compound, and I'll spare your lives.

Just walk away. I will give you safe passage in the Wasteland.
Just walk away and there will be an end to the horror.
I await your answer.
You have one full day to decide.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

MinibarMatchman posted:

I'm stoked for a mad max game of car combats and barehand batman fights in the desert. such a shame this game will be loving destroyed in sales since it had the hilarious misfortune of announcing it will release on the same day as MGS5 aka "Kojim'a Swan Song"

That's going to be a very poor, but very fun week for me.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I was actually hoping this would be a low-budget top-down game because Renegade Ops was loving rad as hell. But this looks good too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's not really a Just Cause game without the grappling hook.

But it looks like the game RAGE was meant to be, only more beating poo poo up, with some Red Faction: Guerilla tossed in, so I'm all for it.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

IMO keep the title and just get someone to make the JC3 thread Mad Max: Just Cause 3.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Mad Max: Batman Arkham Desert of Just Cause

I argue a bad title is better than a boring title.

Mad Max: Lord Homungus Terraria, Scavenge and Craft

Mad Max: The Crazy Aventures of a Man and his Dog (Dog not confirmed)

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 2, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Mad Max: Like Skyrim with Cars

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Capn Beeb posted:

It took a decade but somebody finally came up with a better game world border than the Scarface game having a shark jump out of the water and eat you when you strayed too far.

Blind Sally posted:

Mad Max: Not Even Hutton Gibson Can Deny How Rad This Looks

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
MAD MAX SHOWS OFF THE FUTURE OF VIDEO GAME GRAPHICS TODAY!!!
http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/mad-max-shows-off-the-future-of-video-game-graphics-today-1292720

Avalance devs talk about how the new Avalanche engine works and how that's going to affect Mad Max (and Just Cause 3).

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Odobenidae posted:

Mad Max: Like Skyrim with Cars

I still laugh at these.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just got back from seeing the movie.

The standard this game now has to live up to is literally in orbit.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

Just got back from seeing the movie.

The standard this game now has to live up to is literally in orbit.

Yeah, it's loving insane. I don't know how robust the car customization is in the game, but surely they won't allow you to drive vehicles that are half as cool as the ones in the film which is already a huge mark against it in my book. There's just no way it can live up to that, which is ironic considering the sheer amount of relentless action and violence in the film is almost unseen outside of video games.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Please change thread title to "Mad Max--I live! I die! I live again! WITNESS ME!"

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Lotish posted:

Please change thread title to "Mad Max--I live! I die! I live again! WITNESS ME!"

:mediocre:

Thread title should be Mad Max: "I had a game based on a movie! And it was perfect! Perfect in every way!"

Fake edit: I don't think the tread title it's mediocre I just wanted to use the emote.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Looks kind of like Borderlands, is Gearbox aware that someone is ripping off their signature style and game?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Looks kind of like Borderlands, is Gearbox aware that someone is ripping off their signature style and game?

You could at least put forth some effort.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Part of why I'm so hype for this game is because it's basically Mindscape's official Mad Max (and less official Outlander) game but it actually looks fun to play. NES Mad Max is just crap overall and Outlander is like the coolest game ever made if you only play it for forty-five minutes.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/madmax/madmax.htm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Orv posted:

You could at least put forth some effort.

You could say that post was :mediocre:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Knowing that this game is in the hands of Avalanche gives me a lot of optimism. Their recent video on Just Cause 3 basically was developers saying "we just want to make stupid grandiose fun" and if that's applied to Mad Max it's going to be great. Just Cause 2 was all about "let me destroy everything and crash into everywhere"

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also as a GIANT fan of the new movie (seriously, go see it), I'm not only stoked to be getting that open world Max game, but also to see that it ties into the events of film as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

Knowing that this game is in the hands of Avalanche gives me a lot of optimism. Their recent video on Just Cause 3 basically was developers saying "we just want to make stupid grandiose fun" and if that's applied to Mad Max it's going to be great. Just Cause 2 was all about "let me destroy everything and crash into everywhere"

It turns out the main/JC2 team is working on Mad Max while JC3 is a secondary team within Avalanche. Whether that's ultimately important will have to be seen.

• Locked thread