Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Orv posted:

It turns out the main/JC2 team is working on Mad Max while JC3 is a secondary team within Avalanche. Whether that's ultimately important will have to be seen.

I guess it also should be said that Warner Bros studios is bringing over their "arkham combat" to this game, too. Some people I guess can't stand that poo poo but I'd be cool with a heavier, even more brutal version of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

It appears that the movies ties into the game directly.

Scrotus, the main antagonist in the game is one of Immortan Joes three sons

This makes me guess George Miller has some kind of involvement in the story which really gives me high hours for the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

I guess it also should be said that Warner Bros studios is bringing over their "arkham combat" to this game, too. Some people I guess can't stand that poo poo but I'd be cool with a heavier, even more brutal version of that.

It'd be hilarious if Mad Max was also once a Batman game like SoM.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mr.Citrus posted:

It appears that the movies ties into the game directly.

Scrotus, the main antagonist in the game is one of Immortan Joes three sons

This makes me guess George Miller has some kind of involvement in the story which really gives me high hours for the game.

Avalanche has said the opposite, that while a lot of stuff from the movie is present in the game it's its own thing. You can see footage of Max fighting Immortan Joe in Gas Town also which is of course not a thing that happens in the movie. I think they're going for the same mindset as the movies where it "ties in" in that it's of course the same world but there isn't really a straight continuity between them.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Avalanche has said the opposite, that while a lot of stuff from the movie is present in the game it's its own thing. You can see footage of Max fighting Immortan Joe in Gas Town also which is of course not a thing that happens in the movie. I think they're going for the same mindset as the movies where it "ties in" in that it's of course the same world but there isn't really a straight continuity between them.

Quoting myself from the CD Mad Max thread.

Mr.Citrus posted:

So I read the comic, and it's not terrible (It's pretty good even!) nor does it ruin or have any effect on the movie.

Fun thing revealed by the comic, Joe has three sons, Rictus and Corpus who are seen in the movie, but also Scrotus which ties this movie to the upcoming game, as Scrotus is the main antagonist in the game.

Following link might be considered to have movie spoilers.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/25/meet-the-weirdos-of-mad-max-s-wasteland.aspx?PostPageIndex=3

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also the game's gone through a LOT of iterations, at first it was going to be a "Game of the Movie" thing like King Kong, but that was scrapped during production and was retooled into the current thing. So yes, there WAS a version of the game that had you fighting Immortan Joe, but this game is no longer that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Thread title changed. Thanks Kewpuh!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Also the game's gone through a LOT of iterations, at first it was going to be a "Game of the Movie" thing like King Kong, but that was scrapped during production and was retooled into the current thing. So yes, there WAS a version of the game that had you fighting Immortan Joe, but this game is no longer that.

Aw. But then I could have played as Furiosa.

Orv
May 4, 2011
At least we would have been free of hair physics for once. :v:

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Aw. But then I could have played as Furiosa.

This will almost assuredly be dlc. It's too profitable an idea

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Mr.Citrus posted:

This will almost assuredly be dlc. It's too profitable an idea

I'd be throwing money at my screen.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Thanks for all the untagged spoilers on a movie that hasn't even been out for a week :waycool:

Orv
May 4, 2011
...What spoilers?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

There's nothing in here that's spoiling anything aside from the bad guy in Fury Road being named Immortan Joe, and Max and Furiosa fight him.

SPOILER ALERT they also drive cars and sometimes other cars explode.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sleeveless I know you're not very bright but those are from 2.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

:mediocre: I already said all of this in an article I wrote about the Mad Max games that I linked to in this very thread. :D To be clearer though, rather than "Immortan Joe" Scrotus came to pass to separate the game from the movies more so they could do their own thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHpQmN8MXs (Around 1:30 you can see Scrotus even back here) My point was just that they're playing fast and loose with the continuity of the game to focus on making the game cool (much like how the movies are constructed). The game even features a giant sculpture of Dr. Dealgood, visible crumbling skyscrapers, and some other things that wouldn't really have a place in the movie. Scrotus, and the game in general being set past Gas Town was done to help keep this continuity distance so they could do whatever they wanted instead of having it tie directly in.

I mean obviously the game is based on the movie, but a lot of its design is using concepts and scrapped ideas that didn't make it into the film itself (like how part of the game's world is definitely a dried out seabed, something only vaguely hinted at in Fury Road depending on how you interpret a conversation towards the end of that movie). Avalanche has been specific about how they are doing this and not particularly concerned with it sharing continuity with the movie beyond it of course being in the same setting like all four movies are. Most notable is that the character model for Max is based on the face used for him in much of the film's concept art. It's directly tied into the movies the same way Thunderdome is directly tied to MM2 or how Fury Road is directly tied to Thunderdome. Which is great. :)

I don't see why the best of both worlds, both Miller being involved, and it not directly tying in as tightly as some are saying, seem like things that can't happen at the same time when this is literally how the game was developed:
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/03/11/where-is-mad-max-s-wasteland-and-does-it-fit-with-the-films.aspx

Mr.Citrus posted:

Quoting myself from the CD Mad Max thread.

When you made that post I actually replied with something similar to what I just posted here. :D

Either way I'm super hyped for this game. :) I've been an addict of post apocalyptic games all my life be they Road War, the old Fallouts, Outlander, even stuff like Bad Blood, this really looks like ti will be the one to deliver.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 21, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I really like post-apocalyptic games too. The games I want to play are starting to add up--Mad Max'll likely be the game that finally gets me to cave and get a next-gen console, if it lives up to its promise.

Also, found this the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JPB4b3Zck

A roguelike on Steam--what if FTL-style gameplay was mixed up with Mad Max? Looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So, there's a Russian MMO game coming out that takes heavy inspiration from Mad Max. Might be good: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mad-max-style-post-apocalyptic-vehicular-combat-pc/1100-6427478/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Oh man, I want to believe so bad but it's probably trash.

Remember after Ragnarok Online and Lineage II really blew up worldwide, everything NCSoft was involved in was suddenly going to be the next big MMO even though every single one was a not that great bad Korean MMO. They had pretty graphics for the time so they were mega popular. Anyways they had this one, Auto Assault that was getting massive hype, like even GameStop was advertising it on their tvs constantly, it had collectors editions here, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T0Uz45_gec

The main thing for the hype was that it supposedly had real time vehicular combat, but it was just a lie with it being typical MMO combat resolution anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQRI-pJwUM4

This was back in the $15 a month days too when that monthly amount was just expected for this kind of incredible experience.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gaijin has proven they have the chops to make a fun, if not particularly well balanced game. I'll be interested to see where it ends up at least.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Orv posted:

Gaijin has proven they have the chops to make a fun, if not particularly well balanced game. I'll be interested to see where it ends up at least.

I don't hate them, but they did inflict X-Blades and Blades of Time upon the world.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

Also, found this the other day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JPB4b3Zck

A roguelike on Steam--what if FTL-style gameplay was mixed up with Mad Max? Looks pretty cool. Has anyone tried it?

It's okay. I do enjoy the base mechanics and combat, but I hate hate hate the writing and the missions are kind of lame. It's hard to recommend, but there is a fun game in there, as long you can look past it's flaws.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The following suggestion is correct, and you all know it.

In this game, when you use the inevitable nitrous button, all it does is crank the gamespeed by 20% and make badguys slow down a bit.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

girth brooks part 2 posted:

It's okay. I do enjoy the base mechanics and combat, but I hate hate hate the writing and the missions are kind of lame. It's hard to recommend, but there is a fun game in there, as long you can look past it's flaws.

The devs have been doing alot of work to make the game mod friendly (cars/weapons/scenarios) along with fixing the more bullshit scenarios so the game has been getting alot better since release. I liked it, its a great game to kill time on a POS work computer but if you have any doubts def wait for a sale.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Aw yeah baby Auto Assault 2 here we go nothing can go wrong

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I want to be able to switch between MM1, MM2, MM3 (with long hair), & MM4 Max incarnations, like in those Batman games. What theyve shown off of their Max so far with this game looks really uninspired.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Really looking forward to this game. Just worrying my :mediocre: 560ti won't be able to handle it. :ohdear:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I might console this, definately feels like the kind of big, long game that warrants couch.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

This really is the best emote these forums have had in a long time. I hope this game turns out to be 'just okay' :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Blind Sally posted:

So the bar isn't exactly set high.

You're forgetting this one:

Like obviously Fallout and Wasteland both take heavy inspiration and stick in references, but Fallout 2's the only one where they went so far as to have a car that constantly needs fuel as a major plot point.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Blind Sally posted:

So, there's a Russian MMO game coming out that takes heavy inspiration from Mad Max. Might be good: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mad-max-style-post-apocalyptic-vehicular-combat-pc/1100-6427478/

So is the MM game single player open world Skyrim / Arkham / Fallout stuff? Haven't seen anything about multiplayer, which, to me, seems like a huge gap.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
There's no way this game is going to not disappoint me on the scale that the movie didn't disappoint me. Right?

I mean, lightning only strikes once and all that. But I want to belieeeeeve. :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean it's basically gonna be Just Cause 2 in the wasteland with sicker cars instead of a sick grappling hook.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well there's just the one car, and although you can modify it, you probably can't strap a giant set of speakers and a guitar guy to it so gently caress that

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean it's basically gonna be Just Cause 2 in the wasteland with sicker cars instead of a sick grappling hook.

Furiosa's arm had a grapple, albeit short range, so here's hoping.

Or at least she appeared to shoot a hook out of her sweet rear end arm, anyway. I want to believe.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Capn Beeb posted:

Furiosa's arm had a grapple, albeit short range, so here's hoping.

Or at least she appeared to shoot a hook out of her sweet rear end arm, anyway. I want to believe.

There's a harpoon with a tow line you can get for your car. The tow line is an object as well, so, in the example they gave, if you nail a car with it and another car drives between you two the second enemy car will snag the tow line and probably rip off whatever chunk of the first car the harpoon is anchored on.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Yeah there's that and it's cool of course, but I want a more portable option. So I can hook and reel somebody into a baseball bat or socket wrench or whatever I happen to be holding in my other hand. :v:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hakkesshu posted:

Well there's just the one car, and although you can modify it, you probably can't strap a giant set of speakers and a guitar guy to it so gently caress that

Naw, you can drive any of the vehicles, it's just you have your own beast (It sounds like Chum follows you around in it when you board another vehicle which is a good idea)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I love that you get your own car-goblin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
My only worry is that the trailer footage makes it seems like cars evaporate into a firey spray of fuel when you shunt them, where mad max always shows fairly sensible car damage. Like, theres one shot where max pulls out the sawnoff and blows a car to pieces and that's not what I'm looking for here, I want the car to blow to pieces because I shunted it into his pal who was coming the other way.

• Locked thread