Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lotish posted:

Just got back from seeing the movie.

The standard this game now has to live up to is literally in orbit.

Yeah, it's loving insane. I don't know how robust the car customization is in the game, but surely they won't allow you to drive vehicles that are half as cool as the ones in the film which is already a huge mark against it in my book. There's just no way it can live up to that, which is ironic considering the sheer amount of relentless action and violence in the film is almost unseen outside of video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well there's just the one car, and although you can modify it, you probably can't strap a giant set of speakers and a guitar guy to it so gently caress that

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this game will end up being alright, but it being phenomenally overshadowed by its film counterpart combined with coming out the same goddamn day as MGSV means there's basically no hope for it unless it's truly amazing, which I can't see happening based on that footage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I hope it's good because Avalanche is a cool developer, but the Mad Max aesthetic and atmosphere is looking to be the only thing this game really has going for it since it kind of just looks like Just Cause 2 with all the fun bits removed.

Does it at least have a gyrocopter in it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Still would have liked Donal Gibson in the game somewhere, but at least they finally have a drat release date. This Max sound a little too young to be intimidating, however, I likely won't give a poo poo between the road rage and the screams being louder than him. Quiet protags sort of worked for Wolfenstein The New Order/Old Blood, right?

BJ Blazkowicz is anything but a quiet protagonist in The New Order at least.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MrMojok posted:

Might get repetitive after a while, but what I've seen so far looks really fun. I know absolutely nothing about Avalanche, though. How has their open-world stuff been so far?

Just Cause 2 was all about pure, stupid chaos, and it didn't really give a poo poo about atmosphere or storytelling unlike Mad Max seems to. But like I said earlier in the thread, MM kind of just looks like Just Cause with all the fun parts removed. To me it doesn't seem like they're playing to their strengths. Like they put out a big trailer for Just Cause 3 the other day that makes Mad Max look like a boring piece of poo poo IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1q7wY0koE

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 18, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

System requirements are always higher on paper than in practice, I bet you can run the game fine with a 560ti, probably not on high settings but still playable.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Crabtree posted:

The Mad Max PC port is releasing one day ahead of the console version? poo poo, do I cancel the console version to go for steam or what?

You can't wait one day? I would think that if you were interested in the PC version you would get that to begin with.

That said it's a WB game and their ports have been noooooooooooooooooot good, though they've also caught so much flack for it they probably can't afford for this port to be poo poo as well. Who knows, it's a crapshoot, get the game on the system you want and probably be more concerned about whether or not it's a good game than having to wait one extra day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I saw some random IGN video saying that the map is limitless and you can just keep driving forever like it's Trackmania or something, but that's gotta be bullshit, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A few reviews from no name sites that broke embargo are out, decidedly :mediocre: at 6.5 and 7.5, tl;dr the driving is boring, missions repetitive, and the scenery gets old, but it has a good atmosphere and decent customization options for the car.

The reviews are poo poo and not really worth linking since the embargo will be up shortly, but I'd definitely expect similar results across the board from the bigger publications.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PC version seems to be insanely good in terms of performance, it runs ridiculously well on my 770. Using a controller so I don't know if the rest of the port is up to snuff.

If nothing else the opening of this game is cool as poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Reviews make no sense anymore. 1886: The order was the most banal boring poo poo this year and got good reviews. That game is purest shite.

The Order actually got largely mediocre reviews that were similar to this, maybe a bit lower, that's a pretty bad example

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Reviews are often only actually useful for people on the fence, which few people in this thread dedicated to the game seem to be, so complaining about them is like pissing in the wind. No reviewer is lying when they say they think the game is mediocre though

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SlightlyMad posted:

For any goons on the fence about this one, it is a great game. Driving and car combat is fun, melee is brutal and satisfying. My graphics card doesn't even reach the minimum requirements but I have noticed no problems whatsoever. Helps that I run it in 1280*1024 I guess. Game of the year contender for me. Now if the music while in combat was straight from the movie, I'd be a very happy man. Modders?

I reached the second area and when I went to the blimp to unlock all the icons on the map my eyes kinda glazed over. It's definitely a checklist open world game and I can see it getting super repetitive since the map is so freaking big. What's there feels really good though, so I guess your appreciation for this game will depend on how burned out you are on open world games in general. It doesn't help that this year has already seen several of the best games in the genre, ever, but I think in any other year this would be a universally well-regarded game.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Sep 2, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Haha holy poo poo I somehow managed to harpoon the driver of a car, just pulling him right out of his vehicle in mid-combat, swinging him around and just loving launching him across the dunes, this game is alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I somersaulted my car through a sniper tower, that was gooooooood

Mordja posted:

So all the posts in here are making this game out to be a ton of open world mayhem fun, something no longer in vogue among a lot of reviewers for whatever reason. But nobody's said anything about more scripted, campaign missions. Are they just throwaway or do they not even exist?

It's like most other open world games, there's a cutscene and you go do the mission. They haven't been as heavily scripted as these things tend to be, they're mostly just variations on stuff you'd be doing anyway, like taking over camps and stuff.

• Locked thread