Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chronofx
Mar 6, 2004

Hey guys, it's me
breakycpk!
So I posted about this issue a few months back. For awhile it seemed like it had died down, but it was never fully resolved apparently.

Unfortunately, the issue was never truly fixed. Since that post, we've replaced the router at the head of our network with a Peplink Balance One, mainly because we wanted to be able to use our Time Warner cable as backup in case the Verizon FIOS ever has issues. After running some ping tests on the network, I noticed that we're experiencing (very) intermittent ping spikes even within the LAN itself. At first, I thought it might be the switch that sits in between the router and my PC, but this issue also happens on a laptop which is directly plugged into the router via Ethernet.

Here's an example of the ping spikes in action .

Bear in mind that these ping spikes are EXTREMELY intermittent (I only noticed a handful of spikes like this over a 24 hour period, probably no more than 0.1-1% of the total uptime being affected by this problem).

How can I fix this issue? What could the culprit be? I've tried 4 devices as our main router already (two different Verizon FIOS MI242WR Rev I. routers, RT-AC68U, Peplink Balance One). It can't be the switch, because the issue still happens when I bypass it. It can't be the ethernet cables that go from the PCs to the router, because the issue happened just now with a fresh one used for the laptop bypass test. I'm going to try replacing the ethernet cable that runs from the ONT to the router, but then again that shouldn't affect anything since the issue seems to originate within the network.

If anybody's based in the LA area and interested in coming out for a consult, we'd be happy to pay for your time / services. Seriously at our wit's end with this problem at this point!

chronofx fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread