Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Chip's first line in the first video might as well have come out of my own mouth. BG&E and Sands of Time coming on the heels of Rayman 2? I thought Ubi could do no wrong. Now fast forward to today and here we are. :negative:

I haven't played Watch Underscore Dogs so this should be an adventure. Better yet, it's an adventure I neither have to pay nor install UPlay for.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaiza
Aug 19, 2013

You talk about redefining my identity. I want a guarantee that I can still be myself.
I've been anticipating this since the stinger at the end of the Duck Dynasty LP. This will be very interesting.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I like how the niece's grave said "at age 6", like they really wanted to make sure you knew how TRAGIC her death is but didn't trust you to do the math.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stormgale posted:

If the game really had the courage/effort to either play Aiden as the weirdo thug/nerd he is that would probably be better than trying to laud him as a Cool antihero.

I mean open world games all ready have this with trying to contrast the open world fuckery most people get up to with the character in the plot but this game doubles down on dissonance for seemingly no reason.

Yeah. It's one thing when you play a game where you can go on crazy murderous rampages and the story just assumes you don't - it's jarring but I can get past it. But these first two episodes' cutscenes alone paint Aiden as this colossally creepy, authoritarian jackass and from what I gathered it never shows any idea that it has made him look like anything less than a super-cool badass.

Edit: Just hit that singing trout. This game is loving weird.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 3, 2015

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

This is immediately challenging that ungodly load of crap CSI: Cyber for dominance in "showy technomagic that does nothing realistic and has a bland edgy techwiz protagonist". Except this one has Jordi, as opposed to that show which just has a handful of archetypes working together, and this has a plot/focus whereas that show does not.

Don't get me wrong, CSI: Cyber has dominance just because it sucks that hard but I am really, really hoping this is one of those cases where a bunch of vibrant characters with actual characterization and traits prop up an empty suit of a protagonist who engages in rampant dissonance.

Also I'm looking forward to see where Chip goes with the morality system. Which...this game sure needs...

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
I already wish we had Jordi as the protagonist instead of Aiden.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Jagged Jim posted:

I already wish we had Jordi as the protagonist instead of Aiden.

I've been wishing this for several months now.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Wiseblood posted:

I like how the niece's grave said "at age 6", like they really wanted to make sure you knew how TRAGIC her death is but didn't trust you to do the math.

These are players who thought it a worthy investment to pay $60 for Watch_Dogs so maybe math isn't their strong suit.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
What in the world is wrong with the motorcycle engine noise? The pitch steps when it revs, like they couldn't figure out how to smoothly slide it. That is not a problem any game made after the late '80s should have.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I was in Chicago a month or two ago and I was laughing to myself p often as I drove pass places I murdered men in Watch_Dogs. Particularly a very, very busy parking garage that became a base of operations for a gang. PS, while I was there Mrs Ironicus showed me some great places to eat. Thanks, Mrs I! I hope my dog pictures repay this debt.

Also, I feel like this game had two teams on it. One wanted it to be gritty and grim and were responsible for the dead neice and stuff. While the other wanted to have fun and put in singing trout and weird bosses and junk. Seriously, the tone of this game is all over the place.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Stormgale posted:

If the game really had the courage/effort to either play Aiden as the weirdo thug/nerd he is that would probably be better than trying to laud him as a Cool antihero.

I mean open world games all ready have this with trying to contrast the open world fuckery most people get up to with the character in the plot but this game doubles down on dissonance for seemingly no reason.

You'd think they would have learned after the reaction that James Marston got. "Good character... but why would he ever go on these rampages you allow me to do?"

It's why the Open World formula only works with criminals as the protagonists. Because criminals don't have anyone else at heart.

Well... I suppose the Punisher would work for an Open World game.

Just a reminder, this is what started the Watch_Dogs hype train.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

gregory posted:

I love how almost everyone's first reaction to this game is, "Hey, I like Jordi, he has personality and is an interesting character!"

Except it's a very one note personality and i would say he's almost as boring as Aiden.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I know nothing about Watch dogs but for the glitch gifs after its release, but Clothing Store is the most disappointing thing in this entire game so far.

Really excited to watch this LP, but really disappointed you can't play dress up with fake batman. :(

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Except it's a very one note personality and i would say he's almost as boring as Aiden.

Hey, he may be a one-note cliche, but at least he's a different one-note cliche and not angry short brown haired 30-something white guy with stubble.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to finally know what it's like to work at Google.

Also, that guy really needs to set his hostname and obey proper system administration practices! root@(none) is no way to run a system.

Suspicious Dish fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 3, 2015

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Calax posted:

You'd think they would have learned after the reaction that James Marston got. "Good character... but why would he ever go on these rampages you allow me to do?"

It's why the Open World formula only works with criminals as the protagonists. Because criminals don't have anyone else at heart.

Man, I miss Red Dead. GTA V is fun to play and all, but I have no loving idea where they put the guys who wrote Red Dead. The loving Family Guy level poo poo in V is just so ugly compared to some of the more thoughtful stuff in Red Dead - though both of those at least understood the sort of characters and tone they were creating, which is more than WatchUNDERSCOREDogs can say.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 3, 2015

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hello, I am the person in this thread who likes Watch_Dogs. It is very Ubisoft Open World Game but it's good at what it is. That said, I did not actually enjoy it enough to finish. Thanks for reading my post.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

This game can be cool, but it can also be really, really, REALLY boring. And that's bad.

Negatron00
Apr 18, 2015

...play mstie for me
Oh boy oh boy. Next gen stuff at last. I can't wait to see how it goes.
Isn't this game sort of GTAish in its gameplay?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh, and its quite likely that Watch_Dogs 2 is in the works. Hilariously, Ubisoft has specifically said that Aiden might not be returning for a sequel because he's a boring rear end in a top hat in an attempt to "extend diversity".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Negatron00 posted:

Oh boy oh boy. Next gen stuff at last. I can't wait to see how it goes.
Isn't this game sort of GTAish in its gameplay?

It is very good at constantly throwing things at you to do so that the world doesn't feel empty. The things run the gamut from pretty good to poo poo. I will be interested to see if Chip can get to the last round with the loving ball and cups guy.

Ball and cups guy! :argh:

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy
Ubisoft really missed an opportunity on that singing trout. Hacking it should have done something more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHchmWsrfUo

1stGear posted:

Oh, and its quite likely that Watch_Dogs 2 is in the works. Hilariously, Ubisoft has specifically said that Aiden might not be returning for a sequel because he's a boring rear end in a top hat in an attempt to "extend diversity".
Any excuse to keep Aiden out of the next game is always a good enough excuse. He caught a "hacking cold". What's that? Don't know. He's bedsick and can't return.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Calax posted:

Jordankai mentioned how often the the story/game went through peoples hands and I think that is the fault here, he just got whittled down and smoothed over to be as bland as humanly possible then the game play fills in all these implications.

You could also probably make an argument that he's what some people think a nerd power fantasy is, he's all these antisocial quirks and weird drives, uses nerd powers to save the day and spouts of all the right things about revenge (He could be you right?).

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change
That 1-bit rendering (idk if this is the tecnical names, but it reminds me of Return of the Obra Din and I think that's what the person who is making that game calls it) image header looks so good.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DialTheDude posted:

Any excuse to keep Aiden out of the next game is always a good enough excuse. He caught a "hacking cold". What's that? Don't know. He's bedsick and can't return.

Sorry Jackson, Uncle Aiden is in the cloud now. :yaycloud:.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Chip, how hard is it to LP this dull serious sandbox game when you work for a company who makes the hilarious and very fun Saints Row games?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

Hopefully they avoid the really creepy misogyny as well this time.

Watch_Dogs takes it to a really uncomfortable extent (and I'm not talking just about how every major female character seems to exist to be abused in some capacity.)

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Crosspeice posted:

This game can be cool, but it can also be really, really, REALLY boring. And that's bad.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Like 1st Gear I actually do kind of like this game and some of the mechanics within it, but I lost interest in it and never properly finished it.

Stormgale posted:

Jordankai mentioned how often the the story/game went through peoples hands and I think that is the fault here, he just got whittled down and smoothed over to be as bland as humanly possible then the game play fills in all these implications.

Yeah, that's a big problem with open-world games in general: players are going to want to wreak as much havoc as they possibly can, and the potential contrast between characterization and gameplay can be very jarring. Some games like GTA and Just Cause justify that through playing as a criminal and trigger-happy agent respectively, but there are others like RDR that try to create a more morally-upright protagonist despite that. RDR at least made Marston interesting/entertaining enough (in my opinion) to overcome that dissonance between story and gameplay, but here Aiden's blandness causes the gameplay to make him look that much worse in comparison. And with the vigilante mechanic being badly implemented (as Chip handily demonstrated), it makes him appear more villainous to the player, which in this case is a very bad thing.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
I can't think of the name "Aiden" without thinking of Beyond Two Souls. gently caress this game for making me think of that game. It doesn't help that both Aiden's seem to have the same personality.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

They should've made the game about Jordi. Missions about dealing with Aiden's bullshit, which you don' really care about, your general criminal stuff, and like three other guys with similarly tragic backstories out for revenge you also don't care about.

Objective for the intro/tutorial: "Aiden's busy torturing that guy or whatever the gently caress he's doing, let's get a coverup going"

gregory posted:

I love how almost everyone's first reaction to this game is, "Hey, I like Jordi, he has personality and is an interesting character!"
Yeah. And I'm assuming he hasn't hacked into a relative's security system to spy on them constantly.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

On the other hand, that one note isn't a wet fart.

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

1stGear posted:

If they take "extend diversity" and use it to do something actually notable like AC3 Liberation then I am so up for that. Give us a queer WOC hacker lady and I'll probably play your open world game as long as it runs better than Saints Row 2 PC.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Is it Watch_Dogs 2? or Watch_Dogs_2?

McBearson
Apr 29, 2013

That store had 50% off all shirts and all you can buy are coats?

gently caress you, Watch Dogs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

From what little I know about this game I'm looking forward to watching the exploits of creepy goon Aiden Pierce get presented as the judicious acts of a rising cyber-superhero.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Fargin Icehole posted:

Watch_Dogs.jpg2

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Copy of Watch_Dogs (2)

EDIT: Copy of Watch_Underscore_Dogs (2)

Zereth fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 3, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

Chip's first line in the first video might as well have come out of my own mouth. BG&E and Sands of Time coming on the heels of Rayman 2? I thought Ubi could do no wrong. Now fast forward to today and here we are. :negative:

You could say that about a ton of devs that pumped out good games up through the 6th gen. I wouldn't say they all went to poo poo in the 7th, since even Ubisoft put out some good stuff like the Rayman platformers, but a lot of people's favorite devs stopped being seals of quality like they used to be.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The bad part of sandboxes is that if you don't care about causing poo poo, the world is just a glorified stage select with starting markers spread haphazardly all over, the only comfort being that at least you get to drive some fun cars along the way. Ubisoft brought in people with experience in making racing games to facilitate that, too bad those people's previous game was "it's okay if you don't mind how bad the cars drive" Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mjolna posted:

If they take "extend diversity" and use it to do something actually notable like AC3 Liberation then I am so up for that. Give us a queer WOC hacker lady and I'll probably play your open world game as long as it runs better than Saints Row 2 PC.

Literally the worst, most offensive and cliche stereotypical hacker characters would be better and more diverse characters than Aiden.

That, to me, is actually an interesting misstep they made here. There's a lot of interesting ways you can go with a 'hacker' protagonist, because while there are a lot of possible directions you can go for that, they're all really far outside usual protagonist fare. The anonymity and technological security of it would attract people who are really outside the usual as main characters; you could have a racially/sexually marginalized person who uses that anonymity as a shield, you could have just a horribly awkward person that's more comfortable behind a screen, you could have a physically unfit or disabled person who uses technology to compensate. You go completely the worst possible way with that, you end up with a complete loving manchild, using technology to bully, torment and force the world to be his way, and that's still more interesting because it's a character we don't see in media.

And ironically, by making Aiden as bland as possible, they have actually made him less believable in the role. I don't feel as if Aiden is at home as a hacker, because there's just no element of his story or character that would lead him to be. We fill in the gaps of the character ourselves by making this guy a creepy voyeuristic weirdo because of what the game makes him do, but we're impressing that on him, it's not actually in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cleretic posted:

And ironically, by making Aiden as bland as possible, they have actually made him less believable in the role. I don't feel as if Aiden is at home as a hacker, because there's just no element of his story or character that would lead him to be. We fill in the gaps of the character ourselves by making this guy a creepy voyeuristic weirdo because of what the game makes him do, but we're impressing that on him, it's not actually in the game.
Then again, it is in the game. Aiden does those things. The fact that he and the game act like this isn't a big deal doesn't stop them from having happened.

• Locked thread