Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's also the fact that the MGS4 engine is held up by glue, pixie dust and lots and lots of prayer. That engine is a mess and trying to get that running on other consoles is sure to be a disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

ChaosArgate posted:

There's also the fact that the MGS4 engine is held up by glue, pixie dust and lots and lots of prayer. That engine is a mess and trying to get that running on other consoles is sure to be a disaster.

This could be said about a lot of PS3 exclusives. The system was kind of a nightmare to program on.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's also the fact that MGS4 was actually pretty bad.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Night10194 posted:

There's also the fact that MGS4 was actually pretty bad.

How do you CQC a bad post?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

beep by grandpa posted:

Press triangle and tilt the controller.

Coincidentally, I love how MGS5 tried to explain it that way on PC, but showed the WASD keys instead. Thank you game, I will try to tilt the keyboard. :haw:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

ChaosArgate posted:

This is the actual reason that MGS4 hasn't been ported.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

beep by grandpa posted:

Like I'll give you the gameplay looks pretty fun but there just wasn't enough of it and it feels like MGS4 is the worst aspects of MGS gone wild.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tippis posted:

Coincidentally, I love how MGS5 tried to explain it that way on PC, but showed the WASD keys instead. Thank you game, I will try to tilt the keyboard. :haw:

Didn't it show you whatever you'd last used?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dabir posted:

Didn't it show you whatever you'd last used?

Yes, but I played with KB:M, so it kept trying to tell me to do all kinds of actions that aren't physically possible. Like tilting WASD or slowly release the mouse button or any number of other things that relied on analogue triggers and sticks. It wasn't that it couldn't be done, but rather that the prompts were… ehrm… less than accurate. :v:

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

Tippis posted:

This reminds me of the Arkham Asylum Scarecrow freakout's fake game over when the game tells you to dodge using the "middle stick" on consoles, or by tilting the mouse on PC.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, honestly it's reasons like that that MGS4 never hit any other consoles. There's a lot of really minor bits to the whole experience that being on a PS3 is crucial to; that line, Mantis' bits about the hardware, Mk. III being controlled by a Dualshock. The flashback to MGS1 just before Act 4 requires a working PS1 emulator, too. Replacing or removing any of that would require more effort than most companies that actually wanted to do that would go through, and this is Konami we're talking about.

on top of that. its honestly the "worst" mgs game. the first 2 stages are pretty good. But then it just shits itself. The story takes way to long to unravel and 2 hour cutscenes are insane. The game frontloads all the good stuff in first 3 stages and then kinda doesn't nothing until the last boss fights. the ending is cool but it comes off as to self indulgent.

OldMemes posted:

MGS 3 is the best - the way all the different elements come together in the game: the story, the mechanics, the level design, the endless little touches and easter eggs. It's still an incredible game. MGS V is better from a techinal view, but the way MGS 3 tells its story through the world it creates - incredible game design.

this. While i think mgs5 has the best controls and the core Gameplay (stealth movement) and its story isnt bad. 3 is the best one in terms of everything you mentioned.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

on top of that. its honestly the "worst" mgs game. the first 2 stages are pretty good. But then it just shits itself.

Actually to be quite honest it's only Act 3 that shits itself. Act 4 is probably the best part of the game, and Act 5 I'd say is at least on par with Act 2 in terms of quality.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Where does this fit into the Metal Gear Timeline?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pre-MGS1, post MG2, clearly. It's the only time when Snake A. looks like that, B. is living in Alaska, and C. is actually friends with Roy Campbell.

Yes, he's driving a Ford Focus SE 2016 15 years before it came out, but FOXHOUND always has access to technology decades ahead of its time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well actually its duting MGS1 since psycho mantis later asks Snake about the ford focus titanium, seems like snake wants the top of the line base focus. (Call me when he wants the RS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LUasFly0c
2.0L Turbo is the future I teell youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(Hnnng ford first the gt350 now this, you are playing me like a second rate fiddle)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 9, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Yes, he's driving a Ford Focus SE 2016 15 years before it came out, but FOXHOUND always has access to technology decades ahead of its time.

It always existed, the La Li Lu Le Lo just censored it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The La Lee Iacocca

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I can't believe I can't believe Kojima recasted A.D.A's voice with Keither Sunderland in ZOE3

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I swear to christ if the direction MGS has gone post-kojima is selling the gently caress out to get a billion corporate sponsors it is the best thing that could have possiblty happened

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

CPColin posted:

The La Lee Iacocca

:golfclap:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ford's done this a couple times. I think they said something along the lines of the kid who grew up in the 90's playing and watching this stuff are now starting to buy their first car, so commercials like that are better reaching than family focused or driving on a cliff road. Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uiho8HLI3A

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Where does this fit into the timeline?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPnTa1UJPEI

vvv My bad, must not have updated recent posts before I posted.

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 10, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Pre-MGS1, post MG2, clearly. It's the only time when Snake A. looks like that, B. is living in Alaska, and C. is actually friends with Roy Campbell.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well actually its duting MGS1 since psycho mantis later asks Snake about the ford focus titanium, seems like snake wants the top of the line base focus. (Call me when he wants the RS)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4LUasFly0c
2.0L Turbo is the future I teell youuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

(Hnnng ford first the gt350 now this, you are playing me like a second rate fiddle)

oh god it's a time loop

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

bobjr posted:

Ford's done this a couple times. I think they said something along the lines of the kid who grew up in the 90's playing and watching this stuff are now starting to buy their first car, so commercials like that are better reaching than family focused or driving on a cliff road. Case in point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uiho8HLI3A

I drive what my parents drove because we had good results with the brand. I realize advertisements have to work on *somebody* but I've never seen a car/truck commercial that made me go "yeah, I want that."

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
Here it is, the final update for this thread! It's The Fight: Lights Out, and we're going to find out if Danny Trejo can teach us to hug a man through cyberspace!!

The Fight: Lights Out - Improv Theater with Danny Trejo.....Baldurdash
The Fight: Lights Out - The Tale of the Brothers Marv.....Baldurdash

The Tale of the Brothers Marv will be told for ages.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

THE FIGHT LIGHTS OUT™ sure is a video game

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
What an incredible slap-boxing simulator.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Two brothers. One Name. No rules.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT
God, Coldwood Interactive developed this? That's like, the weirdest shift in tone considering they go from this to freaking Unravel.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

A fighting game in which it is both easier and better looking to hug your opponent than to punch them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slycooper20 posted:

God, Coldwood Interactive developed this? That's like, the weirdest shift in tone considering they go from this to freaking Unravel.

If I remember correctly, Unravel was the pet project of a single developer. Beforehand, Coldwood had made basically nothing but sports games.

slycooper20
Feb 14, 2014

I AM REVOLVER OSHAWOTT

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, Unravel was the pet project of a single developer. Beforehand, Coldwood had made basically nothing but sports games.

Well, that's interesting. I honestly had never heard of Coldwood before they announced Unravel.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Could you hug Danny Trejo?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

slycooper20 posted:

Well, that's interesting. I honestly had never heard of Coldwood before they announced Unravel.

Yeah, and their previous resume is why:

quote:

Unravel
February 9, 2016

Move Fitness
November 25, 2011

The Fight: Lights Out
October 22, 2010

Ski-Doo Snowmobile Challenge
March 6, 2009

Sports Game Pack (Manager Edition)
November 15, 2007

Freak Out: Extreme Freeride
January 1, 2007

Ski Racing 2005 - Featuring Hermann Maier
March 2005

Ski Racing 2006 - Featuring Hermann Maier
March 24, 2005

They were one of a thousand mostly pointless companies struggling to break free from bargain bin sports games, when suddenly one of their developers decided to put out a quirky pet project that everyone loved based on that time he made a yarn doll for a camping trip.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Danny Trejo is a treasure, though

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danny Trejo is like a Latino Christopher Walken: he will do virtually anything you pay him to do and be the exact same person every time.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
My niece was born today, I am now a double uncle. Does this mean that I'm going to be double a poorly written sociopathic jerk?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Why is this thread still a thing?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Why is this thread still a thing?

Because Chip hasn't started the MegaMan Legends 2 LP yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Danny Trejo is like a Latino Christopher Walken: he will do virtually anything you pay him to do and be the exact same person every time.

So Danny Trejo plays Danny Trejo in all his roles

• Locked thread