Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well, both mechanically and visually all Aiden does whenever he hacks anything is push a single button, so in that way it makes sense that a generic dope like him can do this. The more interesting hacker characters are out there, they're just in other places reporting to Aiden while he's out there knocking murderers unconscious and then popping a wheelie to a birthday party.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vnat
Jan 24, 2013

Cleretic posted:

You could have a physically unfit or disabled person who uses technology to compensate.

This game would be so much better if it starred Bentley from the Sly Cooper games.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I am going to be moving to Chicago come September, so this should be pretty educational! How many guns/layers of clothing should I bring with me?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^^ Think the armory scene from the first matrix

Motto posted:

Well, both mechanically and visually all Aiden does whenever he hacks anything is push a single button, so in that sense it makes sense that a generic dope like him can do this. The more interesting hacker characters are out there, they're just in other places reporting to Aiden while he's out there knocking murderers unconscious and then popping a wheelie to a birthday party.

It's important to note this is brought up later (minor plot spoilers) Aiden isn't a hacker, the guy you saw in the intro found Aiden being a punk on the street, handed him a few apps and taught him to basically be his mobile hacking Wi fi hotspot, everything Aiden does in the game is Via apps/programs given to him by others, he is literally a thug with a magic (hacking) wand

Edit for Ark: basically the conceit of the game is that everything is connected Via CTOS, EVERYTHING it's just about finding the right in road. You can also cause blackouts by shooting power junctions too or via A craftable item

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 05:02 on May 3, 2015

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Wait, so you hack into the Stadium's power grid, and that somehow allows you to shut off power to the entire city? :psyduck:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

President Ark posted:

Wait, so you hack into the Stadium's power grid, and that somehow allows you to shut off power to the entire city? :psyduck:

EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED

They should have just made a Hackers videogame.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Stormgale posted:

^^^ Think the armory scene from the first matrix

It's important to note this is brought up later (minor plot spoilers) Aiden isn't a hacker, the guy you saw in the intro found Aiden being a punk on the street, handed him a few apps and taught him to basically be his mobile hacking Wi fi hotspot, everything Aiden does in the game is Via apps/programs given to him by others, he is literally a thug with a magic (hacking) wand

While I doubt the story is going to do much interesting with that, I think it's nice that the reduction of hacking to "push button, thing happens" is addressed in the story.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Okay so with the information that I was given on this thread, and the two LP videos I can only guess that Aiden Pierce is a greedy idiot thug, and possibly through manipulation or force, this guy came across a wonderful smartphone (that cannot call other people) with the technology to identify people, steal money from bank accounts, and pick apart electronic systems at the drop of a hat.

So this guy get's the bright idea to partner up with a dude to steal money from an important place, because important places with important people net you with alot of money. Problem is the system caught him red handed and he made a wise decision to bail out before anything can happen.

Obviously they figured out who he was because he's the only motherfucker who wears clothes like that, and no, Aiden, everybody knows who you are, even if you are wearing that mouth cover. The People who suffered this minor inconvenience, obviously retaliated and his niece was a casualty in this.

The part where i'm lost is, where the hell did he get all that quick fuckin' daredevil stick training. Youtube videos?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^^ Answer to your speculation If I remember right he's a thug who gets mentored by the older hacker guy from the start, his ability to fight is just from being a thug and he's taught to be manipulative and use the hacking by old hacker guy. The rest will be mostly explained as it goes on but really it's loving not worth the effort of trying to explain.

Motto posted:

While I doubt the story is going to do much interesting with that, I think it's nice that the reduction of hacking to "push button, thing happens" is addressed in the story.
R.e. the prediction you made about the story.
Your doubt is correct they go absolutely nowhere with it and I only remember it from some audio logs (some of which are actually great)

You know those upgrade gates talked about in the video I'm 90% sure they are when you get a new shiny phone with new shiny apps to do the upgrade things like the new hacks, why it affects your ability to shoot or drive :iiam:

I'm spoiling poo poo in case people want to find out and I'll stop obviously if it's not kosher with Chip And Ironicus but this story isn't really worth taking time to savor.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ironicus, you forgot about the Blue Line stations out near O'Hare Airport. They look almost exactly like the one Aiden rode by in the video.

Except the stations are surrounded by a big highway and not a suburb area, so on that point, you are correct.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Great Joe posted:

The bad part of sandboxes is that if you don't care about causing poo poo, the world is just a glorified stage select with starting markers spread haphazardly all over, the only comfort being that at least you get to drive some fun cars along the way. Ubisoft brought in people with experience in making racing games to facilitate that, too bad those people's previous game was "it's okay if you don't mind how bad the cars drive" Test Drive Unlimited 2.

At least Watch_Dogs overworld is better than Mafia 2's

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Great Joe posted:

The bad part of sandboxes is that if you don't care about causing poo poo, the world is just a glorified stage select with starting markers spread haphazardly all over, the only comfort being that at least you get to drive some fun cars along the way. Ubisoft brought in people with experience in making racing games to facilitate that, too bad those people's previous game was "it's okay if you don't mind how bad the cars drive" Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Also, this is what really gets me about sandboxes. I'm not really one for aimless mayhem, I kind of need a goal (and no, Ubisoft, 'collectibles' is not gonna cut it). I really enjoy Saint's Row not because it's utter insanity, but because it gives me things to do. If I want to just blow poo poo up, I can start a Mayhem mission. If I want to just gently caress around and be an idiot, Insurance Fraud exists. If I want raw combat, there's fight club activities, gang hotspots, stuff like that.

The only Ubisoft open world games I've played are rear end Creed 2 and Blood Dragon, and neither of those really solved the problem. In fact I kind of hated the 'open world' bits in both of those games, because it just added unnecessary, frustrating fluff in between bits of actual content. rear end Creed also failed to make its wanted system actually interesting or entertaining, so while I was happy to never get into trouble to avoid that it meant that the times where I was forced to were just annoying. I can't see this game overcoming these problems.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Cleretic posted:

Also, this is what really gets me about sandboxes. I'm not really one for aimless mayhem, I kind of need a goal (and no, Ubisoft, 'collectibles' is not gonna cut it). I really enjoy Saint's Row not because it's utter insanity, but because it gives me things to do. If I want to just blow poo poo up, I can start a Mayhem mission. If I want to just gently caress around and be an idiot, Insurance Fraud exists. If I want raw combat, there's fight club activities, gang hotspots, stuff like that.

The only Ubisoft open world games I've played are rear end Creed 2 and Blood Dragon, and neither of those really solved the problem. In fact I kind of hated the 'open world' bits in both of those games, because it just added unnecessary, frustrating fluff in between bits of actual content. rear end Creed also failed to make its wanted system actually interesting or entertaining, so while I was happy to never get into trouble to avoid that it meant that the times where I was forced to were just annoying. I can't see this game overcoming these problems.
I tried playing Far Cry 3 and after getting bored liberating the first safehouse, I sprinted off into the jungle to make myself a bigger wallet and quiver and never returned to the main plot for the rest of the time I tried to play it. With Ubisoft games I've found it's a lot of "alright, intro's over, go do the plot or whatever" and I feel like "no I'm not gonna do the plot, I'm gonna upgrade my poo poo".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This is definitely a game that makes me feel ambivalent about its...everything.
Like I think a lot of people bash this game way too harshly. On the other hand, this game is like all of Ubisoft's bad habits rolled into one.
I enjoyed the stealth (to the point where I am apparently very good at it, if online scores are to be believed) and the ability to legitimately being able to flank/surprise your foes. On the other hand Aiden controls sluggishly, has a lovely recovery time, has his health dictated by strawberry jam and is easily taken out by swarms (which the game loves to pull. PROTIP: buy the comm shutdown upgrade asap).
I enjoyed the various weapons, particularly some of the beefier ones. I know people complain about being able to buy the grenade launcher early, but..why? Who cares? It's fun to use. On the other hand, there is only like ~5 weapons that are good and practical so prepare for inventory bloat.
Being able to booby trap defense positions is fun, but it has never worked out for me (except for one time in the DLC mission where a few trip mines killed all of the incoming enemies by blowing up their vehicles).
This game's promotional materials make no loving sense (DeMarco has a website where he is apparently listed as dead, and yet you can actually see him in the Stadium mission. The mission in the trailer also never comes up.)
Which leads me to the subject of rewrites. This game doesn't really have a plot. It kinda of has set-pieces it segues from one-to-another. We'll see more of this later, the writing is legitimately schizophrenic.

This game also falls the gently caress apart towards the end, with just straight-up unfair mechanics that will lead to bullshit deaths.

And then there is The Palace DLC, wher-you know what? I'll save that for later.

But even if you disliked the main game, check out Bad Blood. It is legitimately good.

And I loved the potential crime interception thing because it let me feel like I was playing Person of Interest - The Game. That...is probably why I like this game more that I should, honestly. That payphone thing reminds me a lot of it, even though it's a common thing in sci-fi fiction. I did enjoy that The Numbers Never Stop Coming, though drat the game gets boring about saving people from getting murdered :(

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 3, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I laughed really loving hard when he went into the store with the motorcycle. Never thought to try that.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Chicago is my favorite city on this planet

that is all

Bearpigman
Feb 19, 2013

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside"
As one of the poor bastards who wasted his money on the deluxe edition of this game, I can confirm that the Aiden statue is perfect for one thing:

Shooting other anime figures in the rear end

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The loss of the Expos really did a number on Montreal's baseball knowledge. The Chicago Chicagos are batting in the top of the inning!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

SSNeoman posted:

:words: about liking Watch_Dogs

Sombody else that actually likes this game?! :vince:

I'm surprised at the amount of people that bash this game into the ground over it not meeting up to it's hype (hell i'd say Destiny is way more guilty of this than WD was) but as a game it's actually really drat fun.

Juuuuuust don't take the story or the characters or ANYTHING other than the gameplay to seriously and it's great! I especially like the online aspects of it, barring the actual team based mods anyway.

Bearpigman posted:

As one of the poor bastards who wasted his money on the deluxe edition of this game, I can confirm that the Aiden statue is perfect for one thing:

Which deluxe edition? Another thing WD (rightfully) get's poo poo for is like the 15 different editions so i'm not sure how much to make fun of you for wasting your money :colbert:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm surprised at the amount of people that bash this game into the ground over it not meeting up to it's hype (hell i'd say Destiny is way more guilty of this than WD was) but as a game it's actually really drat fun.

Juuuuuust don't take the story or the characters or ANYTHING other than the gameplay to seriously and it's great! I especially like the online aspects of it, barring the actual team based mods anyway.

I dunno I feel that like alot of open world games the individual gameplay elements are kinda bland and samey, only the hacking is interesting and is limited to specific context sensitive prompts or adventure game style trying to figure out the correct path.

They just don't you give enough tools when it comes to stealth or gun shooting or driving game play to make it engaging.

drowZebra
Jan 19, 2015

"Room full of zero G, I'mma dive"
So I'm going in blind on this game.
If Chip would have not bothered to end the first mission and just kept driving around, what would've happened?
Would day time eventually have rolled around? Could one theoretically have just kept the first mission going for like a month in in-game day-night cycles?
Would Jordi or someone eventually have called Aiden?
Does the game just always assume you finish missions as fast as possible or what?

Bearpigman
Feb 19, 2013

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, it's the beard on the inside"

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Which deluxe edition? Another thing WD (rightfully) get's poo poo for is like the 15 different editions so i'm not sure how much to make fun of you for wasting your money :colbert:

time to break out the chart

in my case it was the "limited edition", so like $120, with quantities so limited that there was no way they'd be selling them new on amazon for like half their price in just a few months later

Mjolna
Oct 2, 2014

Bearpigman posted:

Dat rear end is obviously about to commit a crime and Aiden is waiting patiently for it to happen. So he can cap it with impunity.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bearpigman posted:

time to break out the chart

in my case it was the "limited edition", so like $120, with quantities so limited that there was no way they'd be selling them new on amazon for like half their price in just a few months later

what the gently caress

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

drowZebra posted:

So I'm going in blind on this game.
If Chip would have not bothered to end the first mission and just kept driving around, what would've happened?
Would day time eventually have rolled around? Could one theoretically have just kept the first mission going for like a month in in-game day-night cycles?
Would Jordi or someone eventually have called Aiden?
Does the game just always assume you finish missions as fast as possible or what?

If I remember correctly, the day-night cycle does work once you enter the main overworld. You can take a long-rear end time finishing if you're unlucky enough to get pursued by police, as you have to shake them to be allowed into your motel room.

I don't think W_A_T_C_H_D_O_G_S is a bad game by any means, just more mediocre than it has a right to be. A lot of the mass hatred it got was not for being outright bad, but for being hyped as Game of the Year material and appearing as basically a budget GTA clone.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

paragon1 posted:

EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED

They should have just made a Hackers videogame.

If the shadowy bad guy who killed Aidan's not-daughter isn't Fisher Stevens, I will be pissed

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I liked this game, I had fun playing it and the story is an incredible trainwreck (with a couple of sincerely great moments) which I love. The amount of venom it attracts always weirds me out because there are much much worse games out there that get shrugged off or forgiven pretty quickly.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, the day-night cycle does work once you enter the main overworld. You can take a long-rear end time finishing if you're unlucky enough to get pursued by police, as you have to shake them to be allowed into your motel room.

I don't think W_A_T_C_H_D_O_G_S is a bad game by any means, just more mediocre than it has a right to be. A lot of the mass hatred it got was not for being outright bad, but for being hyped as Game of the Year material and appearing as basically a budget GTA clone.

The time of day will also rapidly change if you do a mission that is suppose to be at midnight or whatever and it's the middle of the day in a kinda neat looking effect.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tempo 119 posted:

I liked this game, I had fun playing it and the story is an incredible trainwreck (with a couple of sincerely great moments) which I love. The amount of venom it attracts always weirds me out because there are much much worse games out there that get shrugged off or forgiven pretty quickly.

It is better to be hot, or cold. That which is merely lukewarm is spit out with far more vehemence.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

It's because it was supposed to be this revolutionary game according to the hype machine.

Drop in Drop out multiplayer coop was one thing that was teased but disappeared.

Overall it's a decent gta clone, but the biggest issue is that there is a sum total of ONE gimmick for the entire thing, the hacking. And if you know ANYTHING about computers the hacking seems rediculous (Notice, you're hacking based on line of sight to your target... even if that line of sight is through a bloody camera), and how you hack is just boring (PRESS SQUARE MUTHAFUCKA!)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tempo 119 posted:

Watch_Dogs feels like a game that a lot of very talented people worked really hard on only for their work to ultimately be wasted.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Bearpigman posted:

If nothing else that looks like a pretty decently made figure. Or are the looks deceiving?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This game could have been cool if he was actually using the CTOS system to prevent crimes and not as a thin veneer for a generic "my kid died" revenge story.

Set him up as a technocop (or vigilante if you want to do the whole ~antihero~ thing,) ease the player in with minor crimes, make the story about, I dunno, events that build up to a major gang/rogue agent/whatever hijacking the entire system, leaving you to clean up the mess as Chicago slowly breaks down from the electricity going loving haywire

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Calax posted:

Just a reminder, this is what started the Watch_Dogs hype train.

This is what got me to pre-order the game. I was expecting tight, self contained environments with multiple points of entry and exit and multiple paths to success using hacking as a weapon and a downplay on guns (Since you basically have to weasel a handgun out of jordi).

The game that came in the mail was instead a GTA clone with dozens of guns, multiple high explosives, manditory vehicle sections, and cars that handle like bricks on a soapy ice rink.

And Misogyny, lots and lots of misogyny.

I stopped playing after I managed to glitch out a main story mission by having the audacity to drive around a fence.

InequalityGodzilla posted:

If nothing else that looks like a pretty decently made figure. Or are the looks deceiving?

I'm not sure if it's the lighting but it looks like Aiden's got eyeshadow combined with the lack of visible stubble it makes his head look super feminine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Watch_Dogs feels like a game that a lot of very talented people worked really hard on only for their work to ultimately be wasted.

Honestly, that feels like Ubisoft in general at this point. I've felt for a while like there's a sincere bit of multiculturalist, progressive soul in the people making AssCreed, for instance, but it's just felt so constrained and weighed down by corporate bigwigs demanding that it be a Premier Video Game Franchise that lots of people play for a long time now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
One time I went to a Ramen truck for lunch and the people in line in front of me were from Ubisoft and were over the top excited about the opening to Far Cry 4 and how you could actually just wait there for 15 minutes while the insane leader does a thing, and how it's actually a real ending.

That is my Ubisoft story.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I have a serious issue with liking bad games it seems! I LOVED dead island, and I LOVED this game. I found it extraordinary fun, with a great atmosphere, and really enjoyed try not to kill anyone and be sneaky. I loved driving around, and the hiding from the police mechanic, and the sneaking and the hacking and loving with the guards.

I loved Aidens' sisters character, and the kid, and most of the NPC's that you hang out with. I love this game so much except for Aiden himself who I think is a massive oval office. I don't like him, he has a dumb voice, he thinks he's a tough guy, and his reasoning is lame.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

One time I went to a Ramen truck for lunch and the people in line in front of me were from Ubisoft and were over the top excited about the opening to Far Cry 4 and how you could actually just wait there for 15 minutes while the insane leader does a thing, and how it's actually a real ending.

That is my Ubisoft story.

I heard about that before I started playing and I tried it. It basically spoils the entire story all at once and then dumps you out to the main menu, and you have to do the whole intro sequence again if you actually want to play the game. No regrets.

SirShakes
Jul 13, 2012

ISSAPEEPO
Chip, you are dressing Aiden up as your nephew's favorite anime-like protagonist Dante, from the Devil May Cry series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm strapping myself in for something special, I'm sure. Also, since you've lost the star it's not mod sass if I call you a poop head. Deal with it, nerd.

Seriously though, from what I've heard about this game this should be a fun watch.:allears:

• Locked thread