Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

metavisual posted:

When I talk to my mom about the Exorcist (I wasn't QUITE born yet when it was in theaters) she basically says the buzz was similar.
Where she was brought up, people in her community/circle were churchgoing, god fearing people. So it really hit home. People couldn't handle it because how close to home it hit. Especially when you consider the parent aspect. HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN FROM SATAN!!! etc :)

The parent aspect is the only part of The Exorcist that works for me. The mother's concern for Regan and her terror at not understanding what's happening to her is very relateable, and watching it makes me anxious for both of them. But once the actual exorcism begins, Regan goes from being a victim to being the object of horror herself, and it just... doesn't work. She just doesn't feel like a credible threat to two grown men in positions of authority. I don't even know that it's the movie's fault, because the actress playing her does a fine job with her transformation into a demon, the effects hold up fine, and it's not as if I haven't enjoyed and even been unnerved by other exorcism films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

I found this reaction amusing because while some of the kids doing that were trying to be hip, I believe that many or most of them were actually laughing in a defensive/nervous way in an attempt to disarm the experience for which many people of that age had no context for or previous experience of.

Everyone had that friend that couldn't keep their mouth shut during horror movies, and yea its almost always because they didn't feel comfortable actually absorbing the movie and potentially getting scared. To get freaked out or scared would of course be the ultimate disgrace, you'd pretty much have to move away at that point.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She just doesn't feel like a credible threat to two grown men in positions of authority.

Did you watch the movie until the end? I think at least one of the grown men demonstrated that the demon was a credible threat.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

InfiniteZero posted:

Did you watch the movie until the end? I think at least one of the grown men demonstrated that the demon was a credible threat.

Yes, I've seen it twice. I know what happens. I was talking about impressions, not the literal course of the plot.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Heteroy posted:

I love watching The Exorcist, but for whatever reason (probably that I had already absorbed so much of it through pop culture osmosis), by the time I got around to seeing it for the first time it had absolutely no impact as a horror film. It's hard for me to believe the stories of crowds losing their poo poo when it first hit theaters. Some of that was clearly hyped up to help market it, but clearly it really got to some people.

It really can't be over-emphasized: it was 1973. This was before Halloween, this was before Jaws, this was before The Shining, this was before Alien, this was before The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Nobody had ever seen anything this visceral in horror before The Exorcist.

One thing I always marvel at is that everyone knows The Exorcist was a box office sensation, but it's pretty eye-opening just how huge of a sensation it was: it made the equivalent of $800 million domestic in 2015 dollars. Yes, yes, this was before home video, etc. But even with that in mind, an R-rated horror movie making Avatar numbers is insane!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, I've seen it twice. I know what happens. I was talking about impressions, not the literal course of the plot.

I actually don't think whatever physical threat(and yea obviously you find out that it is very much a threat) the demon poses to Karras and Merrin is really supposed to be a point of emphasis in those later scenes. Its about the demon transforming Regan to where you start to really fear for her life and assume the worst. It just doesn't seem like there's any going back for Regan, by the end Pazuzu has completely degraded her whole body and mind. That's whats always been scary about it for me.

The threat to Karras is that he will lose his soul, which in the end he doesn't only because he chooses to die instead. But we don't know he will have to make that choice until there very last scene.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 8, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I understand. I guess part of the threat comes from whether you're willing to go with the fact that she's got a literal demon inside of her with all sorts of supernatural powers. We don't get to SEE the most threatening of those though, or at least not the most outwardly threatening.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Mercedes McCambridge is the real star of The Exorcist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzAHP-Ww5oc

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's interesting and funny to me that the two most famous users of creative, memorable profanity in film are R. Lee Ermey in Full Metal Jacket and the Devil in the Exorcist.

also, i always think of the demon in this movie as Pazuzu. does that even come up in the first one or am i strictly getting that from The Exprcist II?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
There were some batshit movies coming out of the 60s and early 70s, you can't really say the film world was entirely virginal. But the Exorcist is a drat fine film and Satan tends to have an effect on crowds.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

lizardman posted:

One thing I always marvel at is that everyone knows The Exorcist was a box office sensation, but it's pretty eye-opening just how huge of a sensation it was: it made the equivalent of $800 million domestic in 2015 dollars. Yes, yes, this was before home video, etc. But even with that in mind, an R-rated horror movie making Avatar numbers is insane!

Keep in mind ticket prices were actually more expensive in the early 70s then they are today.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

also, i always think of the demon in this movie as Pazuzu. does that even come up in the first one or am i strictly getting that from The Exprcist II?

It does come up in the first one but Merrin rebuffs this, saying that "There is only one.," like all demons are one demon. The "Evil against evil" comment he makes when holding both the Pazuzu figurine and a St. Joseph's medallion was in reference to how Pazuzu brought pestilence, but at the same time was invoked to protect children during childbirth and keep them free of disease. The same way we pray to God but at the same time are raised with the fear of God. The Pazuzu statue itself is based on a common depiction of the mythological figure.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Exorcist is boring and dumb as gently caress. There, I said it. It's not interesting, and however beautiful it's shot or how well its effects work, it's still a bad dumb slow, plodding 70s beast, and has very little to offer someone unless you're a Catholic or some other dumb poo poo.

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.

Everblight posted:

The Exorcist is boring and dumb as gently caress. There, I said it. It's not interesting, and however beautiful it's shot or how well its effects work, it's still a bad dumb slow, plodding 70s beast, and has very little to offer someone unless you're a Catholic or some other dumb poo poo.
I'm glad you said this because it saves me time. Here's my opinion:-

The opposite of what you said.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I rewatched The Exorcist a few days ago and it was fuckin dope, Max Von Sydow owns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Everblight posted:

Whoa getta load of this tough guy!

The first time I saw the film was only a year ago, and while the old school effects did not seem scary at first, the story lingered in my mind for weeks afterward.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good movie but the book is better.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I should clarify I have never seen the movie nor have I read the book.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

You should watch the movie it's on Netflix now

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

It does come up in the first one but Merrin rebuffs this, saying that "There is only one.," like all demons are one demon. The "Evil against evil" comment he makes when holding both the Pazuzu figurine and a St. Joseph's medallion was in reference to how Pazuzu brought pestilence, but at the same time was invoked to protect children during childbirth and keep them free of disease. The same way we pray to God but at the same time are raised with the fear of God. The Pazuzu statue itself is based on a common depiction of the mythological figure.

The name Pazuzu doesn't come up until part 2. Initially they don't believe Reagan is actually possessed and apparently it's very uncommon to actually claim you're possessed by THE devil. In the movie it's being treated as Reagan being possessed by Satan, naming it Pazuzu in the crappy sequel is just silly minutiae.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rewatched it last night, forgot how hard that first big exorcism scene hits after all that buildup

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VincentPrice posted:

The name Pazuzu doesn't come up until part 2. Initially they don't believe Regan is actually possessed and apparently it's very uncommon to actually claim you're possessed by THE devil. In the movie it's being treated as Regan being possessed by Satan, naming it Pazuzu in the crappy sequel is just silly minutiae.

That was the point of my post? Merrin says "There is only one" because it doesn't matter if it's called Pazuzu, Satan, the devil, or whatever in terms of what kind of effect it has on us. :) It's true that in the first movie they don't mention Pazuzu by name but the figurine/etc. are all clearly it which is why that conversation even happens (Karras wants to learn more about the others and stuff Regan vaguely hints at during some conversations, and actually in the script Pazuzu is mentioned by name multiple times).

They play with this again in the third movie in an interesting way where the Brad Dourif mentions "others" and vaguely implies there's a large quantity and hierarchy of evil demon folks. And like the first movie, this is seen as a distraction, a mistake to try to codify and classify something inherently beyond human comprehension, which is a type of temptation we don't see presented in most of the Exorcist's numerous ripoffs (even Heretic has the possessed Regan attempt to seduce Richard Burton instead of any of the more hauntingly presented conversation that occurred in the first movie).

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I haven't watched this since my first time in high school, but it's remained in my mind as one of the most profound and memorable character works I've ever seen. Father Karras is undergoing a crisis of faith akin to that of the priest in Bergman's Winter Light, and has an even better justification given that the world has a child-possessing demon in it. And in spite of this, he ultimately challenges the world's ugliness with a valiant act of sacrifice. His capacity to rise out of his own misery is simultaneously devastating and inspiring. Maybe I'll hit it up tonight. Friedkin is such a force of a filmmaker.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

(even Heretic has the possessed Regan attempt to seduce Richard Burton instead of any of the more hauntingly presented conversation that occurred in the first movie).

At least we got slutty doppelganger Linda Blair out of this!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The scariest part of the story is Chris trying to figure out what's wrong with Regan. Not to take away from the exorcism itself, which extremely well built up to (it's intense, but very simple and short), but the awful medical tests and the possibilities of what would cause this behaviour is the real horror, etched in Chris's face. Brain tumors? Resentment of her job and/or the absent father? Sexual abuse?? (what was Dennings doing in her bedroom anyways)

Ellen Burstyn is just fantastic, your heart just goes out to her character.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Black Bones posted:

The scariest part of the story is Chris trying to figure out what's wrong with Regan. Not to take away from the exorcism itself, which extremely well built up to (it's intense, but very simple and short), but the awful medical tests and the possibilities of what would cause this behaviour is the real horror, etched in Chris's face. Brain tumors? Resentment of her job and/or the absent father? Sexual abuse?? (what was Dennings doing in her bedroom anyways)

the most genuinely upsetting part of the movie is when Regan gets that needle in her neck

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

the most genuinely upsetting part of the movie is when Regan gets that needle in her neck

Yeah that's some hosed up poo poo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

lizardman posted:

Oh mama.

Howling Man
Mar 29, 2014
can you help an old altar boy fadr?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I was going to say, the way all of the getting help/doctor scenes are shot are stunning, often being edited the way a torture or "the killer is about to enter the shot" scenes would be in another movie.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

Well... except for that part where she chews out the operator over the phone because her ex-husband won't answer. I don't think Regan was even possessed at that point (or at least it wasn't apparent) so you can't blame it on her going through a harrowing experience. And if I remember right she'd only been waiting for "15 goddamn minutes".

Obviously I can sympathize with her when the more horiffic stuff starts cause that'd be a horrible thing for anyone to have to go through, but yeeesh that character really is a spoiled oval office.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Black Bones posted:

And she broke her coccyx in the scene where she's thrown to the floor. The scream is real.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
The medical portions all seem spot-on for what would have been the practice at the time, too.

I love the film. I actually didn't see it until after college, when I had a co-worker who saw it on opening night and STILL made the sign of the cross any time anyone mentioned the movie. It must have been terrifying when it was released to audiences who weren't as desensitized as we are decades of horror films later.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

lizardman posted:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I saw it in a theater for the first time last year at a midnight showing close to Halloween and that really improved parts of the movie. The scenes where they're running all those horrible tests on a terrified Regan with those LOUD clanking, inhuman machines is pretty drat disturbing. I can see where the criticism of the movie being two hours of torturing a little girl comes from, but I think that was the most effective part of the movie (I could see how parents with a girl of a similar age would be more disturbed by the movie).

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

That was the point of my post? Merrin says "There is only one" because it doesn't matter if it's called Pazuzu, Satan, the devil, or whatever in terms of what kind of effect it has on us. :) It's true that in the first movie they don't mention Pazuzu by name but the figurine/etc. are all clearly it which is why that conversation even happens (Karras wants to learn more about the others and stuff Regan vaguely hints at during some conversations, and actually in the script Pazuzu is mentioned by name multiple times).

They play with this again in the third movie in an interesting way where the Brad Dourif mentions "others" and vaguely implies there's a large quantity and hierarchy of evil demon folks. And like the first movie, this is seen as a distraction, a mistake to try to codify and classify something inherently beyond human comprehension, which is a type of temptation we don't see presented in most of the Exorcist's numerous ripoffs (even Heretic has the possessed Regan attempt to seduce Richard Burton instead of any of the more hauntingly presented conversation that occurred in the first movie).

Oh, I didn't mean that to counter you, more as an elaboration of sorts.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

computer parts posted:

Keep in mind ticket prices were actually more expensive in the early 70s then they are today.

What? Definitely cheaper.

Why are adjusted box office totals for older films higher? Ticket prices & inflation. In the mid 80s first run tickets were 4.50-5.00 in average US cities. The 70s were even cheaper!

On topic: this movie is still scary today. And (older) Linda Blair had awesome boobs. That Oui photoshoot is hot hot hot.

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 10, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JeffLeonard posted:

What? Definitely cheaper.

Why are adjusted box office totals for older films higher? Ticket prices & inflation. In the mid 80s first run tickets were 4.50-5.00 in average US cities. The 70s were even cheaper!

No they weren't.

http://collider.com/movie-ticket-price-inflation-statistics/

The average price of movie tickets in 1973 was $9.27.

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

computer parts posted:

No they weren't.

http://collider.com/movie-ticket-price-inflation-statistics/

The average price of movie tickets in 1973 was $9.27.

Umm...that line says "adjusted for inflation". You want the green line, champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JeffLeonard posted:

Umm...that line says "adjusted for inflation". You want the green line, champ.

Take a guess at what "The equivalent of" means in this post:

lizardman posted:

One thing I always marvel at is that everyone knows The Exorcist was a box office sensation, but it's pretty eye-opening just how huge of a sensation it was: it made the equivalent of $800 million domestic in 2015 dollars.

• Locked thread