Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I am dead serious when I say that if I hear he's fallen off the wagon, I'll start buying his books again.

He actually had a decent resurgence 5 or so years ago, before going back into "mixed bag" territory. Maybe he had a quick relapse.

His worst period was the "fearing for his mortality due to almost dying" period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chessmaster13
Jan 10, 2015

second-hand smegma posted:

The spiderwalk scene has no business being in the film proper, the director said as much and took it out for very specific reasons. It's a great outtake or dvd extra, and it's incredibly creepy on its own after watching the film or while watching a documentary (like as part of the doc/commentary included on the 30th anniversary edition, the best edition), but it completely fucks with the flow and continuity of an entire section of the film...and I'm talking mainly about "The Version You've Never Seen", which is everywhere now iirc.

I know exactly what you mean. The spiderwalk is cool to watch after you've seen the movie.
A lesser director may have been tempted to leave it in, just because it's so iconic.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
My exorcist story: I worked at walmart when I was like 19 or 20. I was talking to a girl I wanted to sleep with and we were standing next to the DVD rack. I said something about how she should come watch the exorcist (pretending that I owned it and had seen it before) and she made this really dramatic stand about how she would never ever ever ever watch it again.

So I was like poo poo, I should actually watch it. I bought the DVD and took it to my apartment (I was living on my own for the first time) and yeah, it scared the poo poo out of me. That was such a great time. Movies were cheap (it was 2000 or 2001) and I was away from my strict-ish parents, so I had this backlog of like 300 movies that I had always wanted to watch but never had. The Exorcist always reminds me of that time period.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I may have posted in this thread months ago but I don't remember.

The Exorcist is one of my favorite horror movies of all time. It's perfect. Yes, I was raised Irish Catholic..... so naturally I don't believe in any of that bullshit anymore. But there is always that sense of possibility deep down inside. Perhaps it's better for those that were brought up with crazy ghost stories of a sky wizard and demons and stuff. It made the movie magical when I saw it.

I am a giant pussy though and I get... a little TOO emotionally involved in almost any movie I see. The Exorcist, I think, is the best horror movie I've ever seen. Religious or not. I saw it after I dropped all of that stuff and it scared the poo poo out of me. The tension was wonderful. Not many dumb jump scares that are all too prevalent now. Erie silence/lack of music or sound, which is odd for me to say because I think music alone can almost make or break a movie.

I don't know. It's just a good loving movie. Probably the best horror movie ever made, in my opinion of course.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Could you watch it 200 times?

Mark Kermode (arguably the UK's most prolific film critic) has; it's his favourite film... and watching it 200 times hasn't diminished it's impact.

He's a practising Christian; initially I thought this made The Exorcist a strange choice for his favourite film, but really it's quite the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcUXtEeVy-Y

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
200? Probably by the time I die. Well, my sadbrain and liver might say otherwise.

I don't count how many times I watch movies. I usually watch The Exorcist a few times a year at least. No clue what my current count is. Maybe 20-30+? I saw it a few times in the theaters when they re-released it in the late 90s or so.

As stated before I'm very much not religious at all anymore, but I admit that being brought up with... well magic... made the movie much more... magical. I still love it though. Every time I see that it's on TV I watch it. Sometimes I get in the mood to watch it and I do. I'm sure I'll see it again this horror season. :getin:

Just a wonderful movie.... that scares the poo poo out of me.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Things that are great about the Exorcist:

-All the moody atmospheric stuff in the early film, Merrin in the Middle East, the demon statue in the archaeological dig, the mysterious blind woman that rides by him in the horse carriage. "Fadda could you help an old alter boy?"

-The buildup of what happens to the girl, from the early small things, noises in the attic, Ouija board stuff, leading up to the horrific spectacle that Father Karras sees when he finally goes to their house.

-Father Karras is such a great character and story arc. Modern intellectual physician-priest has his crisis of faith, only to be slapped upside the head by a giant wave of green devil-puke. I love his compassionate listening to the mother's story, and formulating all his bullshit psychiatry theories of what is going on, only to be confronted by a hideous demon whose breath turns the room cold enough to make fog. I love how he kind of still somehow doesn't really believe it and is kind of hedging with his psychiatry theories when he first meets Merrin and is debriefing him and Merrin is all "nah, it's a demon, and there's only one, I know this fucker, let's go kick his rear end. You coming?"

-I think Karras is one of the best drawn characters in modern cinema. The backstory with his mother, him growing up poor and her dying destitute and stripped of dignity in a hospital when he could have traded his Harvard medical degree for some fancy practice where she'd have all the best in care and material comfort adds so much depth to his story, makes the crisis of faith so much more easy to buy and makes it so much worse when the demon fucks with him by aping her voice, among others.

-The fact that Karras resolves his faith crisis by performing a Christ-like act of supreme sacrifice to save the girl. It's kind of beautiful and heartbreaking all at once.

Even if you somehow didn't find any of it scaring, it has all this great poo poo in it and is so beautifully filmed too. A real classic of cinema, not just horror.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I like the whole movie but it really shines when Max Von Sydow is on screen. What a presence he has. The force and authority of his lines are incredible.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fair Hallion posted:

Could you watch it 200 times?

Mark Kermode (arguably the UK's most prolific film critic) has; it's his favourite film... and watching it 200 times hasn't diminished it's impact.

He's a practising Christian; initially I thought this made The Exorcist a strange choice for his favourite film, but really it's quite the opposite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcUXtEeVy-Y

Another film which he adores is The Devils. Which includes a scene where a nun has a sexual fantasy about a clergyman where he is Jesus and she touches his wounds in a very sexual manner. Later in the film several nuns tear of their clothes and furiously hump a huge crucifix.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FreudianSlippers posted:

Another film which he adores is The Devils. Which includes a scene where a nun has a sexual fantasy about a clergyman where he is Jesus and she touches his wounds in a very sexual manner. Later in the film several nuns tear of their clothes and furiously hump a huge crucifix.

So you're saying he likes controversial films that play with themes of religion and sexuality. And?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Watched it for the first time on the big screen in 2010 I think. Great movie! As somebody already pointed out what makes a possession movie good is when it plays with the uncertainty of what is actually happening to the person being possessed. Where the alternatives to demonic possession are just as terrifying. The state of the art 70s medical test scenes were my favorite, and are the real horror. I had no idea that was even in the movie, really caught me off guard.

• Locked thread