Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Everblight posted:

The Exorcist is boring and dumb as gently caress. There, I said it. It's not interesting, and however beautiful it's shot or how well its effects work, it's still a bad dumb slow, plodding 70s beast, and has very little to offer someone unless you're a Catholic or some other dumb poo poo.

Whoa getta load of this tough guy!

The first time I saw the film was only a year ago, and while the old school effects did not seem scary at first, the story lingered in my mind for weeks afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

The scariest part of the story is Chris trying to figure out what's wrong with Regan. Not to take away from the exorcism itself, which extremely well built up to (it's intense, but very simple and short), but the awful medical tests and the possibilities of what would cause this behaviour is the real horror, etched in Chris's face. Brain tumors? Resentment of her job and/or the absent father? Sexual abuse?? (what was Dennings doing in her bedroom anyways)

Ellen Burstyn is just fantastic, your heart just goes out to her character.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yeah that doesn't make much sense, actual demonic possession is a fairly fringe belief in Catholicism, at least in the west. As a cradle Catholic, I've never heard any teacher or priest talk about demons or the Devil like they were real/external forces, which is kinda disappointing cuz the mythology surrounding them is fun.

I really enjoyed the humanity of the priest characters, but I don't think that's a consequence of being Catholic so much as having sympathy for human beings (as fictional characters) in general.

• Locked thread