Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I have a buddy who was so terrified of this as a kid, that he's still afraid of Linda Blair.

Some years back we were at a halloween thing and she was there signing autographs , (no makeup, etc, just regular Linda Blair) and he wouldn't go anywhere NEAR that area. He was like nope the gently caress out

I've always loved that movie. I don't think it's as "visually" scary as it was when it was first released. But it's definitely creepy and it stays with you. It stands up pretty well even now.

All I think of when I think of "Exorcist II: The heretic" is that stupid overlay thing they did with possessed Regan from the first movie. Soooo dumb.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Linda Blair was kinda smokin for a minute in the late 70s/early 80s.

I agree wholeheartedly...

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Heteroy posted:

by the time I got around to seeing it for the first time it had absolutely no impact as a horror film. It's hard for me to believe the stories of crowds losing their poo poo when it first hit theaters. Some of that was clearly hyped up to help market it, but clearly it really got to some people.

It was a time where more people were focused on church/catholicism, etc. They literally lived with "the fear of god". So there is that.

Also, buzz is a big deal.

People talk about Blair Witch project and all the hype, and its laughable now. But at that time, found footage wasn't a big thing yet.
Being in line opening night at Blair Witch and hearing people in line literally saying things like
"This is a true story! They found this tape and poo poo!" and they really believed it...it was crazy. The buzz was out of loving control.

When I talk to my mom about the Exorcist (I wasn't QUITE born yet when it was in theaters) she basically says the buzz was similar.
Where she was brought up, people in her community/circle were churchgoing, god fearing people. So it really hit home. People couldn't handle it because how close to home it hit. Especially when you consider the parent aspect. HOW DO YOU PROTECT YOUR CHILDREN FROM SATAN!!! etc :)

Also special affects at the time were out of control. It looked real at the time. That helps.
On a similar note, I've had friends watch 2001: A Space Odyssey and they are like "That movie SUCKED!"
But when you consider it was 1968...that changes things...

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

"franchise."

As far as I'm concerned only the first one exists :colbert:
They should have left well enough alone...

• Locked thread