Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Fans of the film and Friedkin in general really need to listen to Friedkin do the audiobook of his autobiography (The Friedkin Connection) for some fun Exorcist stories, like how he basically had mobsters sent to shut down pirated screenings of the film and the whole story of the Pazuzu statue disappearing in transit.

Not surprisingly, the section of the book dealing with The Exorcist is far and away the most interesting (although I was greatly amused by his stories of what it was like working with Pacino: "he's on ... Al Pacino time").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

metavisual posted:

I have a buddy who was so terrified of this as a kid, that he's still afraid of Linda Blair.

That means he is depriving himself of Savage Streets.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw that theatrical re-release of it twice, because the first time, somehow like 90% of the theater was kids just talking and laughing and stuff.

I found this reaction amusing because while some of the kids doing that were trying to be hip, I believe that many or most of them were actually laughing in a defensive/nervous way in an attempt to disarm the experience for which many people of that age had no context for or previous experience of.

Similarly (I realize I talk about this all the time, sorry), if you see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre theatrically my experience has been that when Leatherface pulls the girl into the room and slams that steel door shut, the ensuing silence (in that great beat that Hooper leaves after that happens) will probably be the audience first catching their breath and then a bunch of nervous laughter. Not the kind of laughter you experience at a comedy show, but genuine nervous laughter from a group.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 8, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

She just doesn't feel like a credible threat to two grown men in positions of authority.

Did you watch the movie until the end? I think at least one of the grown men demonstrated that the demon was a credible threat.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes, I've seen it twice. I know what happens. I was talking about impressions, not the literal course of the plot.

I understand. I guess part of the threat comes from whether you're willing to go with the fact that she's got a literal demon inside of her with all sorts of supernatural powers. We don't get to SEE the most threatening of those though, or at least not the most outwardly threatening.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Everblight posted:

has very little to offer someone unless you're a Catholic or some other dumb poo poo.

I don't buy this. As a stone cold atheist I find the movie scary as hell. I don't understand why people think you need to come from the same frame of reference in general to find certain movies frightening: I don't believe that there's a planet of xenomorph aliens out there waiting to tear my face off but I find the Alien franchise scary. I'm not a teenage babysitter in the part of Illinois that has palm trees but I'm still unnerved by Michael Myers. I'm sure if you're a catholic you might find the movie even more frightening, but I don't think the frame of reference is a requirement.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i do always find it kinda funny when someone refuses to buy into religious horror but will still buy into movies about, i dunno, space monsters or zombies or vampires and poo poo.

"The whole movie was ruined by the monster being a demon from Catholic mythology: I demand that my monsters be something that doesn't lean on hokey spirituality, like say a naked space vampire awakened from suspended animation who harvests lifeforce energy or something easier to believe in and rooted in hard science."

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
If people are interested in what Friedkin thinks about a lot of what has been discussed here, this interview with him by Mick Garris is really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hih8yi5bHg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiQqyTVYoGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMZ8eIBg8uM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsK1EGsWuPI

He covers topics like people laughing during the film, the role of faith in the creation and appreciation of the film, the line between good and evil, how he intentionally left the film open ended, his use of subliminal imagery, and a bunch of anecdotes about the creation of the film itself (like Regan's makeup, how he came across the script, and other fun stuff).

If you're pressed for time, you could start at Part 2, because Part 1 is mostly about his earlier career (but then you'll miss his story about meeting Hitchcock). Part 2 is where the discussion of The Exorcist really begins.

If you find it all interesting or like myself find Friedkin to be a really interesting listen, go and get the audiobook version of The Friedkin Connection because then you'll have hours of him talking about The Exorcist and all of his other great films.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 14, 2015

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The story it's based on also isn't very good.

I think that Children of the Corn came to be because anything King wrote was considered fodder for a film adaptation at that time (Cujo, The Dead Zone, and Christine all saw film adaptations released the year before) and he had a huge backlog of short stories he had written after writing The Shining that were all ripe to be made into films from a few years previous.

Also, cocaine.

Stephen King, 1983

Note: I am a huge Stephen King fan but I agree with you about Children of the Corn both as a film and short story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There have been at least a half dozen good Exorcist remakes since.

SEYTAN (the Turkish Exorcist) is a good watch because it's a low budget twin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQT2lECrBZI

I've shown this to a few friends with great success. It's purely a rip-off of course but it's endearing in how it tries to remain true with a much lower budget.

• Locked thread