Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Just puttin' this here as notes to myself.

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?615591-Lost-Files-of-Marvel!&p=15227858#post15227858
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?615591-Lost-Files-of-Marvel!&p=15086197#post15086197

Amalgam comics super soldier :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lager posted:

I love that this game is turning into the island of misfit toys, with a bunch of folks getting their second chance at glory with their old characters.

And I was worried I would be abusing DI by being all centered on the same idea! I'm excited, really.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Arivia posted:

And I was worried I would be abusing DI by being all centered on the same idea! I'm excited, really.

Oh don't worry, I'm going to, because I never got the chance to force you to team up with the person you hate most in the last game.

Also, Danger, you just asked me if I wanted NICOLAS CAGE in my game and the answer is yes. Just remember...

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 6, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
You're going to enjoy it I hope? And that sounds scary and terrifying.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
All right! Nic Cage Ghost Rider it is.

pre:
Affiliations: 
	Solo [d10], Buddy [d8], Team [d6]

Distinctions:
	"I Can't Live in Fear"
	Renegade Revenant
	I Don't Save People

Spirit of Vengeance:
	Fire Control d8, Hellfire Chains d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Superhuman
        Durability d10, Evil Senses d10, 

SFX: Penance Stare. Against a target with a Chains of Damnation affliction, when using 
Evil Senses as part of your attack, step up your effect die by +1 for one action.
If the action fails, add a die to the doom pool equal to the normal rating of 
Evil Senses.

SFX: The Shackles Forged in Life. Add a d6 and step up your effect die by +1 when 
inflicting a Chains of Damnation complication on a target

SFX: Sheathed in Hellfire. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications 
from Fire, Radiation, and Extreme Temperatures.

Limit: At Night, in the Presence of Evil. Spend a PP, or shutdown Spirit of 
Vengeance when exposed to daylight. Spend a PP, and roll against the Doom Pool to 
avoid recovering Spirit of Vengeance at nightfall. 

Ghost Cycle
	Super Speed d10, Wall Crawling d10

SFX: Zarathos is my Co-Pilot. Spend 1 PP to add Super Human Durability to
another character's dice pool before they roll a reaction, or to your own
dice pool when making an attack. If that character takes Physical Stress, or
the attack you make is successful, step back all Ghost Cycle powers by -1. If
this causes any Ghost Cycle die to move below a d6, shut down Ghost Cycle. 
Recover when you next activate The Spirit of Vengeance.

Limit: Bound to the Rider. Shutdown Ghost Cycle when you shut down Spirit 
of Vengeance. Recover Ghost Cycle when you recover Spirit of Vengeance.

Specialties:
	Combat Expert, Menace Master, Mystic Expert, Vehicle Master,

Milestones:

Hell on Wheels
1xp When you create a Vehicle stunt.  
3xp When your Ghost Cycle powers are used to change a different kind of vehicle.
10xp When the current Ghost Cycle is destroyed defending the innocent, or in 
order to kill an evil opponent.

Pale Rider 
1xp The first time you warn another person to stay away from you for 
their own good.
3xp When the Rider's quest to punish the wicked endangers your friends or allies.
10xp When you use the Penance Stare on someone who is otherwise your ally, or 
resist using it on a deserving enemy.
I'll probably make some edits, though this is a slightly refined version of the datafile I used in the West Coast Avengers Initiative game. The big thing is milestones. I liked these for that, since they were all from Marvels Expanded CU, but that doesn't seem as fitting with this setup. Suggestions?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 8, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

I'll probably make some edits, though this is a slightly refined version of the datafile I used in the West Coast Avengers Initiative game. The big thing is milestones. I liked these for that, since they were all from Marvels Expanded CU, but that doesn't seem as fitting with this setup. Suggestions?

Well, you could incorporate milestones that are campaign-centric rather than character-centric. Your core concept for one could be like "fight Apocalypse's guys!" or "discover a new world to call your own in your journey across Battleworld" or "the X-Men need to learn how to exist in a world that isn't rated G and I'm gonna show them how!"

Arivia posted:

I think I'm going to pick right up where I left off then with Bestworld Mystique. I have two good ideas already, with the caveat I haven't looked at what I set up for Raven last time.

FWIW I had a couple things that I was gonna have Mystique do when you were off the board, if you'd like to use them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mystique

Raven Darkholme, real name unknown, was born some time prior to the beginning of the 20th century. For years, she and her companion Irene Adler (AKA Destiny) strove to keep Irene’s prophetic visions from coming true. In the course of this quest, Mystique steadily grew more and more convinced that only mutants like herself would survive the coming days of darkness. This as well as her own natural tendency toward deception and social engineering led her to adopt a series of alternate identities, rising high among various social organizations including the US Department of Defense.
Mystique is the mother of two children: the late Graydon Creed (with Victor Creed, AKA Sabretooth), whom she later assassinated, and the X-Man Nightcrawler (with the demonic mutant Azazel), who shares his mother’s blue skin and yellow eyes. Neither child grew up knowing Mystique as a mother. She and Irene also adopted the young mutant Anna Marie, AKA Rogue, raising her to share their commitment to a future of mutant survival. The three formed the core of a new Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, battling the X-Men and earning infamy for their terrorist actions.
After Rogue left the group, the US government recruited Mystique’s team as a special ops unit known as Freedom Force and granted them clemency. Destiny died on a mission and Mystique went on to alternate between covert operations both for and against the law. Mystique was recruited for Tony Stark's Avengers, created in response to a rash of mutant terrorism across North America. When the US government passed the Superhuman Registration Act, Mystique attempted to fight for the safety of her adopted daughter and other mutants. Her plans fell apart when Mystique was confronted by Rogue, and the shapeshifter disappeared while Civil War raged. (Secretly, she was pretending to be Pepper Potts, and defending Stark Industries' dangerous projects from Majestic-12.)
Emerging into the chaotic realities of Battleworld, Mystique discovered that another Westchester was being besieged, including an alternate version of her daughter. With nothing to live for but her family, Mystique responded to Xavier's call, hoping to find redemption - or at least peace.

pre:
Raven Darkholme (Secret)
Solo D10 Buddy D8 Team D6

Distinctions:
Adapt or Die
Fickle Deceiver
Older Than She Looks

MUTANT METAMORPH
D8 Enhanced Durability 
D8 Enhanced Reflexes
D8 Shapeshifting 
D10 Superhuman Stamina
SFX: Immunity. 
Spend 1 pp to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from toxins and disease.
SFX: Peerless Shifter. 
When using a Mutant Metamorph power to create assets, add a d6 and step up your effect die.
SFX: Skin Deep. 
When taking an action to confuse, deceive, or threaten a target, step up or double Shapeshifting. 
Remove the highest rolling die and keep three dice for your total.
SFX: Second Wind. 
Before you take an action including a Mutant Metamorph power, 
you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool,
and step up the Mutant Metamorph power for this action.
Limit: Emotional Scarring. 
Step up or double emotional stress or trauma used in an action or reaction against you to gain 1 pp. 
If you do, the stress returns to its original die rating after it is used against you.
Limit: Mutant. When affected by mutant-specific complications or tech, earn 1 pp.

SPECIALTIES
D8 Business Expert 
D8 Combat Expert 
D10 Covert Master 
D10 Crime Master 
D8 Menace Expert 
D10 Psych Master
D8 Tech Expert

MILESTONES:
Doppleganger
1 XP when you ask questions, seeking out information that will help you take someone’s place.
3 XP when you take someone’s place 
during a time when they would have made a significant leadership or romantic decision.
10 XP when you either create an international incident
while masquerading as a world leader or prevent such an incident by using your mimicry.

Protect The Future
1 XP when you assist a young mutant in combat
3 XP when you teach a young mutant something Xavier wouldn't want them to know
10 XP when you attain a position of authority in a nonviolent mutant organization, 
or when you destroy a haven for young mutants.

Defiance Industries posted:

FWIW I had a couple things that I was gonna have Mystique do when you were off the board, if you'd like to use them.

Sure, what were they?

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Workshopping here, but I figured a power Milestone based on the Ghost Cycle would fit in just about anywhere. Not sure what the big 10xp would be, though.

Hell on Wheels
3xp When your Ghost Cycle powers are used to change a different kind of vehicle.
10xp ?

Otherwise, I think it's always in style to be the guy who struggles with an inner darkness?

Pale Rider
their own good.
3xp When the Rider's quest to punish the wicked endangers your friends or allies.
10xp When you abandon your allies to protect them from the Rider, or decide to abandon the Rider to protect your friends.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Workshopping here, but I figured a power Milestone based on the Ghost Cycle would fit in just about anywhere. Not sure what the big 10xp would be, though.

Hell on Wheels
10xp ?

Otherwise, I think it's always in style to be the guy who struggles with an inner darkness?

Pale Rider
their own good.
10xp When you abandon your allies to protect them from the Rider, or decide to abandon the Rider to protect your friends.

Maybe some kind of awesome 10 xp hell ride thing? "...Ghost vehicle in a convoy/deathrace/apeshit crazy animal stampede" Offhand I can't find the image for it but there were these rad dudes, and riding together to assault an enemy army or seize the gates of Heaven is a thing they do.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm not very familiar with Ghost Rider, but maybe "When you give up the Ghost Cycle to save innocent lives, or when you kill innocents to serve Mephisto's ends"?

I'm trying to think through what I should do for Mystique's second Milestone myself. She didn't change much during our Civil War game, so most of her sheet still fits, but she had an anti-SHRA milestone originally. (Her original milestone from the printed datasheet is basically warning about mutant extinction, which is kinda eh.)

I have a couple ideas in the air:

1) I'm toying with whether Mystique would approach Xavier as herself or as someone else. Since this is Battleworld, she could easily pretend to be Domino or something and come to Xavier's call. That would be deep cover play, really - she'd be trying to establish herself and get close to Rogue without disrupting things. It would also be narratively complicated though - I don't know, how do you feel about it, DI?

2) I always downplay Nightcrawler and Graydon Creed, but I'm pretty sure they were around in the X-Men cartoon (didn't watch much myself, sadly.) So DI has two children, a bunch of past lovers, and one adopted daughter to play with if he wants to. Destiny didn't appear in the cartoon (I checked) but I'm going to operate as if she's a possibility if you're okay with that DI. My original idea for a milestone was something relating to Mystique trying to get closer to Rogue, but one-NPC milestones aren't a good idea and Mystique doesn't really care about anyone else that much.

3) But one thing does come to mind. Mystique does care about mutant survival, and in hosed up Battleworld, even Westchester lead by hated Xavier is a safe haven for mutant people and children. I think doing an event milestone based around the Westchester School is probably the right idea, if that's okay. She doesn't like Westchester, she hates a lot of it and thinks it's wrong, but it's the best thing going and is necessary right now.

So that would be this:

Protect The Future
1 XP when you assist a faculty member or student of the Westchester School in combat
3 XP when you teach a student something Xavier wouldn't want them to know
10 XP when you join the Westchester School faculty or when you act to destroy the Westchester School or its members.

How does that look for an event milestone?

Additionally, DI, the map in the OP's section on Manhattan suggests we're dealing with multiple versions of the same space right next to each other. Is Westchester on the map all (or some) Westchesters next to each other (616, Ultimates, cartoon, etc) or is it just the cartoon one in your thinking?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm okay with keeping Destiny around. And regarding posing as someone else, as narrative complications go, it's probably not THAT huge. There's only one scene in Act I that takes place in Westchester before Xavier sends the team out to get a thing. So while I think your milestone is a good idea but making it specific to students and the school might not be, since the story is going to be in a lot of places. 1 and 10xp have plenty of opportunities, especially if you change "student" to "young mutant." Maybe expanding 3XP somewhat to refer to vulnerable mutants in general, since our villain group is the Age of Apocalypse and they need somewhere to go? It'd give you another character hook, deciding how much you need to teach them to survive the trip while still being able to fit into the TV-Y7 rated society of Westchester once they get there.

Also Westchester, as I understand it, is the setting for the X-Men '92 comic that's coming out next(?) week. So it's centered on that particular setting. The multiple versions of Manhattan is a result of the last Incursion between 616 and the UU and is, as near as I can tell, a special case.

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Hell on Wheels
10xp ?

Generally speaking, a solid 10xp milestone for when you have a milestone related to a possession is "when you sacrifice the possession to save someone, or you choose to let that person die to preserve your power." I don't know if the motorcycle is important enough to his character to make that a real choice, though. It's not like the receptacle for his ghost powers or anything, right?

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe

Generally speaking, a solid 10xp milestone for when you have a milestone related to a possession is "when you sacrifice the possession to save someone, or you choose to let that person die to preserve your power." I don't know if the motorcycle is important enough to his character to make that a real choice, though. It's not like the receptacle for his ghost powers or anything, right?

I am fairly certain the cursed motorcycle is what allows/forces Blaze to turn into Ghost Rider.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

In that case, if you want NOT to be Ghost Rider, maybe it should be like... "when you give up on your chance to destroy the bike so you can use it to save someone, or let them die so you can be rid of your curse."

e:

Arivia posted:

Sure, what were they?

I was going to reveal, upon the return to Earth, that Tony had convinced Mystique to run Stark Industries posing as Pepper (explaining where the character had gone), because he needed a way to make sure they wouldn't cave to government demands and nobody tells you to gently caress off like Mystique. By the time they get back the Majestic-12 was operating openly in their world-ruling way, so Mystique had presumably been committing many delightful acts of sabotage and subterfuge against their regime in support of the team Doom had put together (which Doom had named Doom's Avengers because Doom is emotionally needy).

Act 3 was gonna get real nuts.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 7, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I'm okay with keeping Destiny around. And regarding posing as someone else, as narrative complications go, it's probably not THAT huge. There's only one scene in Act I that takes place in Westchester before Xavier sends the team out to get a thing. So while I think your milestone is a good idea but making it specific to students and the school might not be, since the story is going to be in a lot of places. 1 and 10xp have plenty of opportunities, especially if you change "student" to "young mutant." Maybe expanding 3XP somewhat to refer to vulnerable mutants in general, since our villain group is the Age of Apocalypse and they need somewhere to go? It'd give you another character hook, deciding how much you need to teach them to survive the trip while still being able to fit into the TV-Y7 rated society of Westchester once they get there.

Also Westchester, as I understand it, is the setting for the X-Men '92 comic that's coming out next(?) week. So it's centered on that particular setting. The multiple versions of Manhattan is a result of the last Incursion between 616 and the UU and is, as near as I can tell, a special case.

Ooo, I didn't think of expanding it to the AoA crew. That's a good idea. So that would change like this:

Protect The Future

I'm not sure what to do about the 10XP one. If we're not staying in Westchester that's fine, but I'm not quite sure how to set up a dilemma for Mystique then. I thought about the "when you sacrifice something important to save another" option you see in a lot of milestones, but Mystique's already known to sacrifice things for other mutants. I picked out the faculty idea because it represents not only Mystique officially allying with the school, but also buying in - it's closing that plot arc by finding a place for her, if that makes sense. (And also hence the other option being about destroying Westchester and hence that dream.)

I'm still not sure what the positive option could be, but the negative one could be this:

10 XP when you ... or when you destroy a haven for young mutants

Actually, wait - nonviolence is a big difference. Westchester fits, but the difference is formally that the Brotherhood was a terrorist group. Mystique destroys, she doesn't build.

So THIS works: when you attain a position of authority in a nonviolent mutant organization.

The complete milestone would be:

Protect The Future
10 XP when you attain a position of authority in a nonviolent mutant organization, or when you destroy a haven for young mutants.

How's that?

I was going to reveal, upon the return to Earth, that Tony had convinced Mystique to run Stark Industries posing as Pepper (explaining where the character had gone), because he needed a way to make sure they wouldn't cave to government demands and nobody tells you to gently caress off like Mystique. By the time they get back the Majestic-12 was operating openly in their world-ruling way, so Mystique had presumably been committing many delightful acts of sabotage and subterfuge against their regime in support of the team Doom had put together (which Doom had named Doom's Avengers because Doom is emotionally needy).

Act 3 was gonna get real nuts.

This sounds pretty amazing, and pretending to be someone else and passive-aggressively sniping at MJ12 while privately boiling is EXACTLY Mystique's style. What do you think the status of Zone #14 would be then? Is Mystique suddenly disappearing and leaving Tony in the lurch, did Doom win, or has that world otherwise moved on?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The final version of that milestone looks great to me. The Westchester one would have worked but you would have needed to sit on it until nearly the end.

As for your question about Bestzone, you better believe we beat MJ-12 in the end. Things were going to be pretty broken up afterwards (my notes say "Galactus + Hulk?" at this point) but with people no longer being lovely to each other, everyone could start getting back to normal. As far as Mystique disappearing goes, I think she and Tony came to an understanding during that conversation in his office right before she went back to Xavier's. They both knew she would eventually do just that, and if she helped him handle what was coming he wouldn't stop her or try to track her. If she ditched the Pepper identity when the Avengers showed up from space he would know what it meant.

e: Also Gambit bugging out when you ran into him at the mansion was so that the world's greatest thief could be unaffiliated and for hire. I wanted to put you in a position where you were forced to team up with him and/or try to murder him. Just, you know, to see what happened.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 7, 2015

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I have read none of this thread beyond that it's a new MHR game and Secret Wars but I am so apping something this weekend.

Edit: Read the thread, and now I even know who I'm apping. Mystique isn't going to be the only person trotting around from Bestworld...

It's Doom. I'm going to app Bestworld's Doom. Or Frank Castle from What If Wolverine Became King of the Vampires, but probably Doom.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 7, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The final version of that milestone looks great to me. The Westchester one would have worked but you would have needed to sit on it until nearly the end.

As for your question about Bestzone, you better believe we beat MJ-12 in the end. Things were going to be pretty broken up afterwards (my notes say "Galactus + Hulk?" at this point) but with people no longer being lovely to each other, everyone could start getting back to normal. As far as Mystique disappearing goes, I think she and Tony came to an understanding during that conversation in his office right before she went back to Xavier's. They both knew she would eventually do just that, and if she helped him handle what was coming he wouldn't stop her or try to track her. If she ditched the Pepper identity when the Avengers showed up from space he would know what it meant.

e: Also Gambit bugging out when you ran into him at the mansion was so that the world's greatest thief could be unaffiliated and for hire. I wanted to put you in a position where you were forced to team up with him and/or try to murder him. Just, you know, to see what happened.

Awesome! I kind of am thinking of a big redemption arc for Mystique - if I finish one of my milestones, I'll probably try a Heroine Redeemed? milestone and all that, and ending up as a Xavier Institute instructor would be really cool to close that out. But, that's to be seen with how the game goes, so yay!

I've added the milestone and updated Mystique's background with the details you noted about Civil War. Although while we're planning I would like an opportunity if possible to get one over on an alternative Tony by unexpectedly having all his access codes and knowledge of his backdoors or something. Really, why the gently caress did Tony entrust Mystique at all?

Also Gambit was in the cartoon series I think. You should definitely do that. I'd be sad if we missed out on a second chance for them to hate each other.

I'm going to go with Domino as Mystique's secret identity. The power set/focus fits reasonably well: Mystique can't manipulate probabilities, but she can pretend she can, and she definitely knows stupid and shady poo poo. Mystique's still guarded enough to approach Xavier undercover, and I think a pre-existing character is simpler than just making up someone new to pretend to be.

So unless you have any more questions or comments DI I'm ready to play!

edit: Bestworld Doom would be fun to play off of, if DI approves.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 7, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Unfortunately, no, the cycle is an aspect of the Rider, and completely expendable. It essentially chooses objects to possess as part of the demonic transformation, (so the 3xp milestone, if the situation forces me to improvise an alternate "Ghost Cycle.") In Blaze's case, a motorcycle and chains. Carter Slade had a horse and revolver. Other riders in the comics have used everything from biplanes to roller-coasters. He can also control the possessed vehicle remotely, so long as he's transformed, hence the limit stipulating it shuts down when the spirit of vengeance shuts down.

What about if tweak it a little, replace the Fire and Spikes SFX with something like the Reactive Power SFX, like: Spend 1 PP to add Super Human Durability to another character's dice pool before they roll a reaction. If that character takes Physical Stress, take d6 Mental Stress. Basically, using the inherent durability of the demonic possession to help defend any allies riding along with me. Then I could make the Milestone something like 10xp When the current Ghost Cycle is destroyed defending the innocent, or in order to kill an evil opponent. Do you think that's feasible?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that's a fun SFX and a fun milestone to use it with.

Also if you're going to play Bestworld Doom you are required to have one of your distinctions be Founder of the New Avengers. I'm putting my foot down, I don't care, the words are coming out of my mouth!

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

I think that's a fun SFX and a fun milestone to use it with.

Also if you're going to play Bestworld Doom you are required to have one of your distinctions be Founder of the New Avengers. I'm putting my foot down, I don't care, the words are coming out of my mouth!

One step ahead of you, because one of his 1 XP milestones is "Mention that you founded the New Avengers." That's gonna be all dedicated to 'Dr. Doom, Hero!(?)'.

For the other set, I was inspired by Doom's emotional neediness. 'Supervillain Team-Up: Doom misses his bestie'. Going to be all about trying to find a Namor to be friend with. Or maybe... More than friends? Do you believe love can bloom on the Battleworld? (I will probably walk back the 'Doom loves Namor' side of things for actual play, unless people want that???)

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
So, I actually had a second idea of someone to reapp that I'm actually more enamored with than Dr. Doom, The Avenger's Pal just now (the fact that I already have a datafile made for this one might play a part):

quote:

The Shocker
Herman Schultz (Secret)

Affiliations
Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8

Distinctions
(Recovering) Professional Supervillain
Crippled With Self-Doubt
Self-Taught Engineer

Vibro-Shock Gear
Vibro-Shock Blast - d8
Shock-Absorbing Suit (Enhanced Durability) - d8
Leaping - d6
SFX: Kinetic Overload. Step-up one Vibro-Shock Gear power for one action, then take d6 Physical Stress.
SFX: Widened Blasts. For every additional target of Vibro-Shock Blast, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Focused Blasts. Step-up or double Vibro-Shock Blast when targeting one opponent. Discard the highest rolling die, and add three dice for your total.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Vibro-Shock Gear power and gain 1PP. Take an action vs. Doom Pool to regain.
Limit: Uncontrollable. Turn any Vibro-Shock Gear power into a complication and gain 1PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to regain.

Specialties
Crime Expert - d8
Tech Expert - d8

Milestones
I've Beaten Spider-Man!
1XP - When you question a course of action out of self-doubt or cowardice, or are ridiculed for being The Shocker.
3XP - When you regain a power during the same scene that the Uncontrollable or Gear Limit on Vibro-Shock Gear was activated.
10XP - When you accomplish a truly impressive feat and finally gain the respect you deserve, or fail at something so embarrassingly that no one will ever take you seriously again.

Going Straight...ish
1XP - When you use underhanded tactics that would be unbecoming of a proper hero.
3XP - When you use your Crime Expert Specialty to create an asset to be used towards heroic ends.
10XP - When you convince another villain to join you in trying out this heroism thing, or fall back into your old supervillain ways.

I'll get a bio of sorts up later, but what I'm imagining is Herman having a change of heart after Stamford, and trying to reform. He's not very good at it, of course, because he's The Shocker, but he's at least got one or two fights under his belt by the time everything goes kaboom. Might just say he's from Bestworld, because it's the first and best option I can come up with.

I might still make a Doom app! Who knows what the future holds when finals have ended for me.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Oh man that Shocker, I remember reading the game with him in it.

That's a hilarious one because I'd imagine The Shocker is still a villain of Goblin Peter's, so that could be some fun interactions right there.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I loved that Shocker. That was a really fun team we had. (I miss Nico, too.)

So here's what I'm thinking, so far.

SFX: Zarathos is my Co-Pilot. Spend 1 PP to add Super Human Durability to
another character's dice pool before they roll a reaction, or to your own
dice pool when making an attack. If that character takes Physical Stress, or
the attack you make is successful, step back all Ghost Cycle powers by d6. If
this causes Ghost Cycle die to move below a d6, shut down Ghost Cycle. Recover
when you next activate The Spirit of Vengeance.

Which would mesh, I think, with the Milestone proposal. This also sets a mechanical limit both for using it offensively, and defensively.

I'm also thinking of switching up the Pale Rider milestone to add "3xp When the Rider's quest to punish the wicked endangers your friends or allies, or you shut down Spirit of Vengeance to prevent endangering allies."

What do you think? Does it seem feasible? I'm trying to address some of the flaws I saw in my original design.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 7, 2015

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It looks good, but this is a bit confusing: If that character takes Physical Stress, or
the attack you make is successful, step back all Ghost Cycle powers by d6.

Do you mean step back by -1, or step back to d6?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Since I'm completely revamping Star Band's sheet to reflect 20-30 years of heroism, I'm going to post the sheet in progress before putting out the full bio for critique.

Since I'm phone posting, it's a google doc. I've been using Thor as a comparative power marker, so I don't want to over or undershoot. She's also currently lacking specialties. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gdRMFwjWftHNk-83qRgvViINcaJ0MFNzsBesMnB_Ip0/edit?usp=docslist_api

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Maltose posted:

Since I'm completely revamping Star Band's sheet to reflect 20-30 years of heroism, I'm going to post the sheet in progress before putting out the full bio for critique.

Since I'm phone posting, it's a google doc. I've been using Thor as a comparative power marker, so I don't want to over or undershoot. She's also currently lacking specialties. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gdRMFwjWftHNk-83qRgvViINcaJ0MFNzsBesMnB_Ip0/edit?usp=docslist_api

Dammit Maltose, your second Milestone is making me want to app ambiguously-interested-in-Namor Dr. Doom again, because Doom receiving unsolicited advice on how to pursue matters of the heart is a pretty wonderful image.

And yeah, I miss Real World: Civil War too. We never even got to learn what the heck was going on in future Asteroid M! I also miss Hyborean Marvel (please restart it one day Lager, Sir Nicholas has so much more to do before probably dying!)

Shocker bio should happen sometime tomorrow or this weekend, just for a more solid timeframe.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Arivia posted:

It looks good, but this is a bit confusing: If that character takes Physical Stress, or
the attack you make is successful, step back all Ghost Cycle powers by d6.

Do you mean step back by -1, or step back to d6?

Yeah, the wording could definitely be cleared up. I meant step back by -1. Basically, if I'm using the bike as a weapon, it's got diminishing returns, and will break. If I'm using it to shield allies, it will also eventually break. This stops me from being able to use it constantly, since, unfortunately, Ghost Rider is kind of a PP mill. Or at least, that's sort of how he ended up working in the game I premiered him in.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I love it!

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2015

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

As an aside, if you want a Shocker who reformed in Civil War, then you could try being from the Warzone, where Civil War has been going for six years because General Rogers and President Stark won't talk anything out.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Even better, as it gives me an excuse to give poor Herman at least a modicum of confidence and maybe strengthen his powers or specialties a tiny bit thanks to six years of war experience.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Gosh... you know, you'd think they might put aside their differences when the the nation they were fighting over god transported to a bizarre amalgamation planet, in which their political differences were rendered completely irrelevant. But maybe that's just my take?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

Gosh... you know, you'd think they might put aside their differences when the the nation they were fighting over god transported to a bizarre amalgamation planet, in which their political differences were rendered completely irrelevant. But maybe that's just my take?

it is a ~social commentary~

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Danger-Pumpkin posted:

To be fair the solicit for Issue 1 includes peace negotiations.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

I'm a little behind. Anyway, do you think that SFX/Milestone combo is workable?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think it's an interesting mechanic and should be fun to play with.

Speaking of, get your sheets finalized and whatnot because I'm gonna make my decision tomorrow night, probably within the next 24 hours.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 8, 2015

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Done.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Fun Shoe
Yeah I think I'm done too.

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART
Mine was ready right out the box.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

RandallODim posted:

I also miss Hyborean Marvel (please restart it one day Lager, Sir Nicholas has so much more to do before probably dying!)

Yeah. I plan to, though I'll have to decide whether to start from scratch or not and whatnot, I'm glad to hear you dug the little we got through, though.

I adjusted Magneto's milestones just slightly, but he's done and ready to apply.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The Dazzling Starband

In 1963, a cosmic being known as the Star Band was half recruited and half drafted into a makeshift team of superheroes under the direct supervision of SWORD. Then they saved the life of President Kennedy from the evil Secret Empire and their leader, Richard Nixon. The year is now 1992, and everything is way better. The last 39 years had been good to Berenice. She had been a SWORD for the government, a Defender of the disenfranchised, an Avenger against those who would harm her new home. Berenice no longer dreamed of returning to space and ceased to consider Earth anything less than the Coolest. Home, after all, is where the heart is. Allison Blaire was indisputably the coolest person and she lived on Earth, thus through the transitive property Earth was the coolest planet. That was the kind of space logic Berenice traded in before she met Dazzler.

It was all Galactus' doing, actually. He needed a quick way to hook back up with his herald of the moment Terrax. Starband needed a way off the planetary prison she put herself in. Dazzler wanted nothing to do with A or B, but was stuck in the middle of the two when The G showed up to use her as a cosmic dowsing rod. Starband assisted Dazzler in telling him to keep looking, and a partnership was born. Allison's disco diva act was loose enough to accept some creative input by the self styled cosmic musician. One thing led to another, some X-People got involved, Berenice nearly became Queen of All Morlocks, they went to Mojoworld a couple of times. Partners in music became partners in adventure. Partners in adventure became partners in the most important way. The X-Men of the 80s were always on the progressive end. They were the crime fighting power couple of the Me Decade.

Seeking some advantage over his Celestial powered master/rival Apocalypse, Mister Sinister saw yet another Summers based plan crumble to dust as Madelyne Pryor was revealed to be both a clone and also the devil. Throwing up his hands in failure again, Sinister instead set his mind to a more immediate means of destroying The First One. With Apocalypse gone, Sinister could spend centuries poking and prodding the Summers genome and nobody would complain about all the Celestial technology he was hogging. A suggestion was all that was needed. Apocalypse moved to make Dazzler a Horseman, and his new servant wrought Conquest in the name of her master. In the end, The Starband brought cosmic justice to Apocalypse at great cost. She was the sound at the beginning of things, after all. And the Dazzler can turn any sound into light of equal intensity. En Sabah Nur was rent asunder in the light of the Big Bang.

The woman who walked away was neither Dazzler nor Starband. Sentient cosmic sound absorbed by Allison Blaire and rendered into light which Starband reiterated back into sound. An amalgam being constantly fueling itself in a perfect fusion of light and sound, god and mutant, person and person. People used to say that you couldn't separate the two. Now Berenice Blaire dared anyone to try. Even the end of all things couldn't tear them apart. As the red sky faded, the only lovers left alive found themselves on Battleworld. They had each other, though, and that's all she needs.

quote:

Dazzling Starband
Berenice Blaire
Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Stable Relationship, Unstable Form
Fundamental Force
Truly Outrageous

Sound To Light - Ouroboric

Photon Blasts D12, Light Control D10, Force Fields D10, Flight D8

SFX: Sound Absorption - On a successful reaction against a sonic attack action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Sound to Light - Ouroboric stunt or step up a Sound to Light power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this stunt if your opponent’s action succeeds.

SFX: Dazzled - Whenever Starband makes an attack roll using her Light Control ability, add a d6 to the dice pool and she may choose a second effect die to put a "Blinded by the Light" complication on the same target.

SFX: Holograms - Add a D6 and step up your effect die when using a Sound to Light - Ouroboric powerset to create assets or complications.

SFX: Multipower - Use two or more Sound to Light- Ouroboric powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: Mutant - Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Power Of The Star Band

Strength d12, Durability d12, Weapon d10, Speed d8

SFX: Second Wind - Before you make an action including a Power Of The Star Band power, remove a die from the doom pool equal to your physical stress and double the power for this action.

SFX: Shielding - Spend 1 PP to take physical stress intended for a nearby ally or
friend.

Limit: Exhausted - Shutdown any Power Of The Star Band power and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Specialties: Acrobatic Expert D8, Cosmic Master D10, Combat Expert D8, Psych Master D10

Milestones

Strong In The Real Way
1xp - when you explain the extent of your cosmic powers
3xp - when you take stress using your Shielding SFX.
10xp - when you either take down a truly powerful threat by yourself, or concede that even your great power is insufficient to protect everyone.

Love Is A Battlefield

1 xp - when you discuss matters of the heart
3 xp - when you advise another on the best course of action in a relationship, even if they didn’t ask for it.
10 xp - when you either unite two lovers despite the odds, or realize that maybe some people are happier single.

• Locked thread