Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm trying to do it gradually :ssh:
There's no harm in having a car miles above my ability that looks fuckin hilarious at the same time though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not suggesting you do this but do this.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I'm trying to do it gradually :ssh:
There's no harm in having a car miles above my ability that looks fuckin hilarious at the same time though.

Have you considered autosoloing a completly standard rusty NA MX-5 instead of doing what you enjoy? Which is to spend over 9000 british pounds on your M3 or we, I dont care but it seems kewl 2 me.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Have you considered autosoloing a completly standard rusty NA MX-5 instead of doing what you enjoy? Which is to spend over 9000 british pounds on your M3 or we, I dont care but it seems kewl 2 me.

Thank u op.
It's funny 2 me that ppl want a forum about "automotive insanity" and then want me to crash because I'm building a car to go fast???? Fairly hosed up when u really think about it
I car

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

But ur not doing it the way I'd do it so fuk u op! Stoopid!

This forum is disappointingly boring sometimes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Op I hope you don't void your warranty with all these non-oem modifications

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Bogan Krkic posted:

Op I hope you don't void your warranty with all these non-oem modifications

It's actually currently in at BMW getting warranty paint work lol :D great service.

Also I should mention that I'm not bitching at jamal as I think his opinions are v valuable to me and the car. Time attack is cool as tits.

E: is there any reason I shouldn't make a big gurney flap for the edge of the boot lid and the top training edge of the wing? It seems like it could be beneficial. Can anyone get me scan data from a e46 and I'll friggin cfd it!!!! When Greece get kicked out of the eu I will order a load of German aero for cheap I think.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jul 1, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't say I share your taste most of the time, but the adage remains true: If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Bape Culture posted:

It's actually currently in at BMW getting warranty paint work lol :D great service.

Also I should mention that I'm not bitching at jamal as I think his opinions are v valuable to me and the car. Time attack is cool as tits.

E: is there any reason I shouldn't make a big gurney flap for the edge of the boot lid and the top training edge of the wing? It seems like it could be beneficial. Can anyone get me scan data from a e46 and I'll friggin cfd it!!!! When Greece get kicked out of the eu I will order a load of German aero for cheap I think.

For the trunklid, yes, for the wing, no. Since you don't have to follow a rule about wing size, a bigger wing without a gurney will likely have less drag than a smaller one with a gurney for the same cL. A flap on the trunklid can help the rear end of the car and underbody aero parts work better. Air coming off the top and from out the bottom meet and you end up with a stagnation zone that is actually responsible for most of the total drag. A rear facing flap off the trunk deck might help reduce that and allow air from the top and bottom transition together better. Check out the back of the nemo car for example:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Ah okay. I thought their main function was to eliminate vortices? I know you've described that on the trunk lid, clean rejoin with the under flow but what about wing vortexes?

I think I'll come up with some sort of rear facing thing off the back edge of the trunk like that but smaller.

It's very fun to think about for sure and if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Even if they're fully stupid.

I think that flossman front setup is pretty good though for starters on front downforce. Especially since it goes through and joins the flat underbody. Read diffuser needed but I've not seen anything yet. I don't know.

There'll be some hilariously boring aerodynamicist at work I'll try to get out of his comfort zone and help.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I didn't say I wanted you to crash. just that if you do we'll get some interesting footage. So I say go for it, live your dreams, don't worry if AI is mad because you parked across two parking spaces in a 400 acre lot in the suburbs or w/e other crimes against carmanity you have planned

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah, gurney flap is just a way to get a little more downforce out of a wing at the expense of more drag. Without one, flow smoothy rejoins together at the trailing edge, until the wing angle gets too high, and then flow separation occurs and drag goes up while downforce goes down. Having more elements to a wing lets you run them at a steeper effective angle. This one for example is one of the better off the shelf things out there:
http://aprperformance.com/racing-product/gt-1000-dual-element-adjustable-wing/

The front end aero is way more important and harder to get right. First thing you want to do is try to keep any air from going into the engine bay and out the bottom of the car. Look at any modern gt/dtm race car and the front is completely sealed off, coolers are fully ducted out of the hood, and the backs/tops of the fenders are very open.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bape Culture posted:

Ah okay. I thought their main function was to eliminate vortices? I know you've described that on the trunk lid, clean rejoin with the under flow but what about wing vortexes?
What Jamal said.

A larger wing with a given angle of attack will give you more downforce. If you are not allowed a larger wing because of race regs or whatever, you can crank up the angle. At some point the flow over the top and botton of the wing will start separating. A Gurney flap helps you avoid this.

If you are allowed a larger wing, use a larger wing to achieve the greater downforce.

But listen to Jamal (and others). His actual performance improvement work beats out academic stuff I half-remember from nearly fifteen years ago.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Sold my csl bootlid today. Someone paid in about half an hour. Maybe was a bit cheap but never mind.

Buying a pair of sparco pro race 2000s and getting safety devices harness points in. Anyone got recommendations for harnesses? Dont say takata!!!! :mrgw:

Then getting a Geoff steel carbon boot and cutting it up to mount wing into the chassis. I hope this is a good decision lol.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
im gonna miss that bootlid 😕

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

corn in the fridge posted:

im gonna miss that bootlid 😕

The new one will be the same but crabon my friend!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Building a race car one boot lid at a time.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New title plz mods

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thank you mods lmao.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Still no burnout!!!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
OI DO A SKID BRUV

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bape Culture posted:

If you're ripping something off there's no r&d which are probably the most significant costs in most automotive stuff.

Metallurgy, casting, carbon fiber, etc are most definitely not this way. There is a huge amount of institutional knowledge, even at companies where they try to document everything, that goes into making something as well as they can.

You could give someone a stack of stolen internal documents on how to do a carbon fiber layup and they would take 20 tries to get as consistent quality as the people who have been doing it at the original company who the documents came from.

Same goes for castings and forgings for sure. Hell, possibly even worse. I can think of two perfect examples (Jeep 99-02.0 "0331" cylinder head casting and cummins B series "53" turbodiesel block casting) of factory parts produced by the original manufacturer in 5-figure quantities that were later found to be weak due to flaws in casting methodology or design in critical areas. Do you really want to trust a replica that was simply copied, possibly minus important process and materials tweaks discovered after a few rounds of prototype testing?

I don't. Especially not on suspension, brakes, and steering.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
OP what is the reddit subforum for your build called?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kastein posted:

Metallurgy, casting, carbon fiber, etc are most definitely not this way. There is a huge amount of institutional knowledge, even at companies where they try to document everything, that goes into making something as well as they can.

You could give someone a stack of stolen internal documents on how to do a carbon fiber layup and they would take 20 tries to get as consistent quality as the people who have been doing it at the original company who the documents came from.

Same goes for castings and forgings for sure. Hell, possibly even worse. I can think of two perfect examples (Jeep 99-02.0 "0331" cylinder head casting and cummins B series "53" turbodiesel block casting) of factory parts produced by the original manufacturer in 5-figure quantities that were later found to be weak due to flaws in casting methodology or design in critical areas. Do you really want to trust a replica that was simply copied, possibly minus important process and materials tweaks discovered after a few rounds of prototype testing?

I don't. Especially not on suspension, brakes, and steering.

Yeah you're right. AP definitely spend no money on r&d. The only k sport component left is the caliper. The pistons are a supplier part and I honestly don't believe at this level, that you could go to wrong with a forging. The design of the caliper is sound. The material is sound. And the forging process is quite primitive. What's the load on a caliper? As long as the Pistons don't tear themselves out and they're relatively rigid how could they go wrong?

Adiabatic posted:

Is this supposed to be a burn? Smh.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Is this supposed to be a burn? Smh.

Just answer the question Ash.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Bape Culture posted:

As long as the Pistons don't tear themselves out and they're relatively rigid how could they go wrong?

Seals?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
nm I'm silly

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 14, 2015

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

R/drunkgirls

Back from paint.

Think I might sell those carbon arches as brand new freshly oem painted ones do look smart. And they aren't that heavy really.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
LOWER THE FRONT!

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I don't know what's happening it hasn't moved!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It could be a trick of lighting + shot angle + F vs R camber.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Building a race car and not taking every opportunity to throw carbon fibre at it? Pff.

Looks smart though.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

1mm total of toe. What on earth is causing this?
It can't be bump toe my car's too stiff.

Anyway it's currently on the ramp having subframe reinforced and cage points put in. Along with the new rack and brakes etc. decided to solid bush rear subframe and powerflex black everything else.

Lots going on so will update shorly.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Bape Culture posted:

Anyway it's currently on the ramp having subframe reinforced and cage points put in. Along with the new rack and brakes etc. decided to solid bush rear subframe and powerflex black everything else.

Lots going on so will update shorly.

I'm shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, that you have abnormal wear on the inside edges of your tires.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Stop trolling!
I don't think that's caused by -3.5* of camber personally.

Also just had my man on the phone and going solid engine and gearbox mounts now.
Everything is getting daft but at least we can reuse the mounts when I buy an ls3 and ruin myself completely.

Needed a new power steering line as well which is a mega ballache but it's done and csl rack is on.

Thanks.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Stop trolling!
I don't think that's caused by -3.5* of camber personally.

Also just had my man on the phone and going solid engine and gearbox mounts now.
Everything is getting daft but at least we can reuse the mounts when I buy an ls3 and ruin myself completely.

Needed a new power steering line as well which is a mega ballache but it's done and csl rack is on.

Thanks.

Have you considered buying a car with superior double wishbone suspension, such as a 500 quid rusty mx5.

Srsly tho is that on the treadblocks or the shoulder I cant tell with all the muck on it.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Bape Culture posted:

That's an aggressive alignment on a commuter car. If you set 3.5 Degrees camber and go straight for 5k miles it'll look like that.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
My S2000 has 3.5* of rear camber (at 0* toe) and i don't really get any abnormal inside edge wear. That's definitely some weird toe issue. Do you have a busted bushing that's causing excessive toe on braking or acceleration?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Front and rear axels off.

New hardlines on
New goodridge lines on
New csl rack on!
New solid engine mounts on!
Stud conversion and super cool badman jdm nut on!!!
New poly bushes on!
New brakes and pads on!!!!!
Front basically done I believe!!!!!

Great success! Rear end work up next. Very very happy so far. That caliper is freakin hueg (like Xbox)

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What happens to the car when you do all that work to the front but don't do anything to the rear? Any handling weirdness?

e: Ur nuts are hot :q:

• Locked thread