Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
Oh yeah. Birbstrike has in the past outright lied to back up my claims, because he thought I was right.

Really, really, really, really, better not be doing that again Bradstock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I specifically didn't mention that today because of what happened last time I had a cop-like role and thought Gaspy was town and Beet was scum.

Birdstrike posted:

Robber and insomniac basically did a little dance which at the end of it nothing changed and both participants fell down exhausted in the same place they started. Both remain town.

It's almost like I knew there was no Troublemaker...

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

I specifically didn't mention that today because of what happened last time I had a cop-like role and thought Gaspy was town and Beet was scum.

It's almost like I knew there was no Troublemaker...

That's a pretty terrible breadcrumb claim dude.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Gough Suppressant posted:

at this stage im going to be voting beet like it's 2014

Im voting for James "Kool" Polk!

Who loves ya, buddy!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Matthew Beet posted:

That's a pretty terrible breadcrumb claim dude.

Yeah I know.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I'd feel much more comfortable about this if Birdstrike hadn't been such a weirdo, but I would like to make my voting intentions clear before the day ends.

##vote Matthew Beet

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Votecount for Day 1

Matthew Beet (5): Asphyxious, Birdstrike, MysticalMachineGun, SKY COQ, Mad Katter
Birdstrike (1): Birdstrike, Small Keating, Birdstrike
SKY COQ (0): Birdstrike, Birdstrike, MysticalMachineGun, MysticalMachineGun
Bifauxnen (0): Birdstrike, Birdstrike

Not Voting (3): Bifauxnen, Gough Suppressant, Matthew Beet

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is May 06th, 2015 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: :spooky: THE DAY IS OVER :spooky: :siren: :spooky:

Please PM me your vote as soon as possible.

Remember that you are not allowed to vote for no one. You must vote for another player!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:parrot: :spooky: :parrot: THE VOTE :parrot: :spooky: :parrot:

Asphyxious votes for Matthew Beet!
Bifauxnen votes for Birdstrike!
Birdstrike votes for Matthew Beet!
Gough Suppressant votes for Matthew Beet!
Mad Katter votes for Matthew Beet!
Matthew Beet votes for Birdstrike!
MysticalMachineGun votes for Matthew Beet!
Sky Coq votes for Matthew Beet!
Small Keating votes for Birdstrike!

At the end of the voting:

Matthew Beet has 6 votes.
Birdstrike has 3 votes.

:pcgaming: Matthew Beet is lynched! :pcgaming:

As your friendly Moderator, it is my job to reach across the table and reveal Matthew Beet's Role Card. It is...

Werewolf.

:krad: TOWN VICTORY!!! :krad:

So here's what happened:

quote:

I shuffled the deck and dealt:
- Asphxious a Mason card
- Bifauxnen a Werewolf card
- Birdstrike a Seer card
- Gough Suppressant a Villager card
- Mad Katter an Insomniac card
- Matthew Beet a Werewolf card
- MysticalMachineGun a Robber card
- Sky Coq a Mason card
- Small Keating a Villager card

- Leftover 1 a Villager card
- Leftover 2 a Troublemaker card
- Leftover 3 a Hunter card

Then, Birdstrike Looked at Leftovers 2 and 3 (Hunter and Troublemaker)

Then, MMG robbered Mad Katter, swapping the Insomniac for the Robber.

I'd love to hear what you guys thought of this game! I'll post a little later with my own thoughts.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 6, 2015

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Haha oh Bif :D

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Those On My Left posted:

:pcgaming: Matthew Beet is lynched! :pcgaming:

:woop: We did it!

I think we were all a little too honest, really. There was not much backstabbing. And Bif was a werewolf as well!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Hahahahaha fuckin Bif the silent assassin

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Thanks for running this toml.

As far as I saw it I didn't want to claim Villager because that would put a light on me AND risk revealing Bif, who someone had already raised as suspicious. So I thought I'd claim troublemaker and try and lie my way out. It was an uphill battle.
So I'd like to see peoples thoughts on what they thought. The game I felt was lost from about midday because I wasn't present enough to claim early on. Also if the seer is in play, it makes it pretty hard to lie about your role. I'd like to see what people thought about that.

I'd feel town would always give the seer the benefit of the doubt and the only way to shift that by making people distrust that role by multiple games with the same people where Werewolves have luckily claimed seer and pulled it off.

Thoughts?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Matthew Beet posted:

I'd feel town would always give the seer the benefit of the doubt and the only way to shift that by making people distrust that role by multiple games with the same people where Werewolves have luckily claimed seer and pulled it off.

Thoughts?

:agreed: Since this game is meant to be played fairly quickly you could do multiple rounds and build up a profile of people that way.

With this game at least, if we'd all distrusted birdstrike it would've been a werewolf victory.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Fun game, probably would work with a much shorter day. The longer a day is, the better and better it gets for town, and the werewolves only real weapon is confusion and guile.

I'd say run it over something like four hours and make sure everyone agrees to be there during that time, I can see why 12 hours would work as a "everyone gets their say" safety net, but having that much time to think and observe weights it in towns favour.

Like even with a troublemaker, that'd be enough time to completely clarify what the roles were, and what the new roles are.

But no, hugely fun game and keen to play more of it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asphyxious posted:

Fun game, probably would work with a much shorter day. The longer a day is, the better and better it gets for town, and the werewolves only real weapon is confusion and guile.

I'd say run it over something like four hours and make sure everyone agrees to be there during that time, I can see why 12 hours would work as a "everyone gets their say" safety net, but having that much time to think and observe weights it in towns favour.

Like even with a troublemaker, that'd be enough time to completely clarify what the roles were, and what the new roles are.

But no, hugely fun game and keen to play more of it.

Yeah probably. Like MMG was saying, as a party game I'd presume it'd be happening much quicker, so not much time for considered thought, much more paranoia. Coq, whether jokingly or not, actually acted how I'd expect everyone to act in this type of game. Instead the opposite happened, everyone calmly rationally worked out what was what.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I think you do need consecutive games for it to work as a forum game, since you're losing so much information by not having access to physical tells.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah probably. Like MMG was saying, as a party game I'd presume it'd be happening much quicker, so not much time for considered thought, much more paranoia. Coq, whether jokingly or not, actually acted how I'd expect everyone to act in this type of game. Instead the opposite happened, everyone calmly rationally worked out what was what.

Cooler heads prevailed.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Matthew Beet posted:

It was half joking but I was genuinely worried that literally everything could have changed overnight.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

Haha oh Bif :D

Good call dude! I figured with 2 of us wolves in play, we could probably only get away with 1 tricky roleclaim, and that would be even harder without us getting a look at the discards. At least one of us would have to claim a plain villager, and that might as well be me, and early. I was hoping by the time my helpful townie routine played out Beet could piece together a decent roleclaim, but things were pretty locked down with 2 masons and the robber hitting the insomniac!

I thought it was pretty exciting having to play as scum "in the field" not being able to actually talk to each other. Made things pretty interesting.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
At the start I forgot how to count and thought "there are 9 players but only 8 roles in play, Small Keating must be a mystery role!" :derp:

Being able to see two of the unplayed cards seemed very powerful, especially when Troublemaker was one of them. After Robber and Insomniac confirmed each other everyone became who they thought they were and I tried to string the game along a bit.

I can see the game being very different and frantic when everyone is worried about whether they were switched though.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Towards the very end of the game, Beet sent me a PM saying he wasn't sure how the werewolves could have worked their way out of this one. I didn't give anything away at the time, but thought it might be useful to set out some options in the thread, after the game had ended. This might give you all a bit of a taste of the potential this game has.

Option 1) Either of you could have claimed Robber after this post.

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I was the insomniac, and I'm now the robber. I'm curious to find out if the robber targeted me, or if we were switched.

Of course, MysticalMachineGun would have come in and contradicted you. But the chances are that there would have been no way for that dispute to be factually resolved. Maybe someone else would've made a Seer claim in an effort to clear things up, but then the other Werewolf could have claimed that they themselves were the Seer.

Option 2) Beet could have made a fourth Villager claim. This would've been dangerous because Bif had already claimed Villager, but you could have used this to sow doubt on someone who claimed Villager and then didn't post much (e.g. Small Keating).

Option 3) Bif could have claimed Seer after this post.

Birdstrike posted:

Sorry Beet, I rolled Seer. I had a peek at Discarded Cards 2 and 3. They were Troublemaker and Hunter.

I told you to claim Villager man, I told youuuuuu

Bif could've said that she revealed SK or GS's cards and found that they were Villager.

Of course, none of these options are perfect, but the game wouldn't be much fun if a perfect play were available. I think one of the main differences between this and Mafia is that it's pretty much never in the Werewolves favour to lay low and let Town screw itself, because here there's actually a chance Town can solve the puzzle. The Werewolves pretty much need to lie to win.

The Werewolves also need to think about whether it's better to claim first and then be contradicted, or to come in later and contradict someone else's claim. (I think the answer depends on the circumstances.)

SKY COQ posted:

It was half joking but I was genuinely worried that literally everything could have changed overnight.

This is a good post. One of the main tensions in the game is wanting to shape the game (e.g. by dumping your info to help solve the puzzle if you're Town, or by lying if you're Werewolf) and also not wanting to gently caress up your win condition (by thinking you're on one side when you actually got switched to the other overnight).

I think you do need consecutive games for it to work as a forum game, since you're losing so much information by not having access to physical tells.

Well, the game is a piece of cake to run, so I'd be happy to do another game whenever. I'll definitely add in an extra role next time; either the Tanner or the Minion.

Asphyxious posted:

If it works for everyone, I'd be happy to do something like 3pm-9pm.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Since this game is meant to be played fairly quickly you could do multiple rounds and build up a profile of people that way.

In real life the game is played to a timer. We had the most fun with setting the timer to 3 minutes. :v:

A few comments about this series of posts:

Those On My Left posted:

4) It follows from 2 and 3 that the only way for Town to win if there are no Werewolves is this: each Town player must vote for a different Town player, so that everyone is tied on one vote, and no one is lynched.

Bifauxnen posted:

What the fuuuuck that's even worse

Asphyxious posted:

The idea of coordinating voting in that manner beggars belief.

You're both correct! If there are no Werewolves, it's really hard for Town to win; they basically have to build an accurate shared narrative and gather enough trust so that everyone is happy to vote according to a set plan. This is really difficult!

But then again, shouldn't it be? If there's no team of Werewolves out there making your life difficult - giving you an obstacle that you need to overcome - then the game has to provide one for you.

Finally,

Bifauxnen posted:

things were pretty locked down with 2 masons and the robber hitting the insomniac!

Correct. Add in the Seer taking the unusual (in my experience) step of checking the discard pile, AND THEN revealing two unique roles, yes, this particular round was very hard for the Werewolves. (Although, I as I say above, there were a couple of plays that more experienced Werewolves might have been able to get away with.) But that's kind of how One Night Ultimate Werewolf goes. Some games are going to be easier for the Werewolves, some are going to be easier for Town.

In some games there'll be no role-switching, in other games the role-switching will be so intense that you might have difficulty following it (especially with people trying to lie about it). Hopefully, each round should be a bit distinctive.

Yes this might make it ~*unbalanced*~ but hopefully it will also make it fun. People (understandably) get super invested and passionate about mafia games in part because they run for up to a week, so if a dodgy mechanic or an unbalanced set up screws them they can find that a really frustrating experience. Hopefully you won't find that to be the case with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, because you just have a laugh about it, and go again.

Anyway, overall I'm happy that you all seem to have had fun. :)

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 7, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Oh, also, did anyone think it was worthwhile having Votefinder track this game? I'm not sure it really added much. If it's not worth using Votefinder for games like this, then I won't do it in future, which will make this game even easier to mod.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah the way things worked out a lot of people were confirmed. Before you changed your hunter claim Birb, I thought you were off-limits too! Cause it'd be no good to succesfully frame you if you had it in for Beet.

If I had been town I seriously would have argued that lynching you was the most rational option, so you could get Beet for us if you were telling the truth, and go down in flames if you were faking us out and lying about being the Hunter. (so there, Gaspy! :cheeky:) Now I wish I had, cause your "no wait I'm the Seer!" reaction could've really backfired on you! But I couldn't, cause I thought that'd just screw us over and lock in the town win on your lynch.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

Those On My Left posted:

Oh, also, did anyone think it was worthwhile having Votefinder track this game? I'm not sure it really added much. If it's not worth using Votefinder for games like this, then I won't do it in future, which will make this game even easier to mod.

I think go sans-votefinder, makes confusion easier. Votefinder was just another tool in me lynching beet as it was like a periodic reminder of "this is the way the wind is blowing".

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Yeah I'd say sans vote finder.

Those On My Left posted:

Towards the very end of the game, Beet sent me a PM saying he wasn't sure how the werewolves could have worked their way out of this one. I didn't give anything away at the time, but thought it might be useful to set out some options in the thread, after the game had ended. This might give you all a bit of a taste of the potential this game has.

Option 1) Either of you could have claimed Robber after this post.

Of course, MysticalMachineGun would have come in and contradicted you. But the chances are that there would have been no way for that dispute to be factually resolved. Maybe someone else would've made a Seer claim in an effort to clear things up, but then the other Werewolf could have claimed that they themselves were the Seer.

Option 2) Beet could have made a fourth Villager claim. This would've been dangerous because Bif had already claimed Villager, but you could have used this to sow doubt on someone who claimed Villager and then didn't post much (e.g. Small Keating).

Option 3) Bif could have claimed Seer after this post.

Bif could've said that she revealed SK or GS's cards and found that they were Villager.

Of course, none of these options are perfect, but the game wouldn't be much fun if a perfect play were available. I think one of the main differences between this and Mafia is that it's pretty much never in the Werewolves favour to lay low and let Town screw itself, because here there's actually a chance Town can solve the puzzle. The Werewolves pretty much need to lie to win.

The Werewolves also need to think about whether it's better to claim first and then be contradicted, or to come in later and contradict someone else's claim. (I think the answer depends on the circumstances.)

This is a good post. One of the main tensions in the game is wanting to shape the game (e.g. by dumping your info to help solve the puzzle if you're Town, or by lying if you're Werewolf) and also not wanting to gently caress up your win condition (by thinking you're on one side when you actually got switched to the other overnight).

Well, the game is a piece of cake to run, so I'd be happy to do another game whenever. I'll definitely add in an extra role next time; either the Tanner or the Minion.

If it works for everyone, I'd be happy to do something like 3pm-9pm.

In real life the game is played to a timer. We had the most fun with setting the timer to 3 minutes. :v:

A few comments about this series of posts:

You're both correct! If there are no Werewolves, it's really hard for Town to win; they basically have to build an accurate shared narrative and gather enough trust so that everyone is happy to vote according to a set plan. This is really difficult!

But then again, shouldn't it be? If there's no team of Werewolves out there making your life difficult - giving you an obstacle that you need to overcome - then the game has to provide one for you.

Finally,

Correct. Add in the Seer taking the unusual (in my experience) step of checking the discard pile, AND THEN revealing two unique roles, yes, this particular round was very hard for the Werewolves. (Although, I as I say above, there were a couple of plays that more experienced Werewolves might have been able to get away with.) But that's kind of how One Night Ultimate Werewolf goes. Some games are going to be easier for the Werewolves, some are going to be easier for Town.

In some games there'll be no role-switching, in other games the role-switching will be so intense that you might have difficulty following it (especially with people trying to lie about it). Hopefully, each round should be a bit distinctive.

Yes this might make it ~*unbalanced*~ but hopefully it will also make it fun. People (understandably) get super invested and passionate about mafia games in part because they run for up to a week, so if a dodgy mechanic or an unbalanced set up screws them they can find that a really frustrating experience. Hopefully you won't find that to be the case with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, because you just have a laugh about it, and go again.

Anyway, overall I'm happy that you all seem to have had fun. :)

Thanks for this. Gives me some food for thought.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah I'd say sans vote finder.

Thanks for this. Gives me some food for thought.

NP. I can understand that this first game was probably a bit frustrating for you and Bif but hopefully you still had some fun.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Btw did anyone PM a vote different to what they stated?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Btw did anyone PM a vote different to what they stated?

I don't think so.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I'm sorry for PMing so late - I fell asleep on the couch.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Those On My Left posted:

NP. I can understand that this first game was probably a bit frustrating for you and Bif but hopefully you still had some fun.

Yeah it was frustrating but it was of my own making, not the games fault though.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

SKY COQ posted:

I think a part of this paranoia was alleviated by by having the robber switch with the insomniac.

Of the two roles that could have switched cards, we worked out very early who one of them was and who they swapped with. After that, there were seven unidentified cards out of twelve that could have been the Troublemaker, which could have switched two people out of nine. Not great odds of any one person being switched, and nobody had claimed Troublemaker either. I really liked the uncertainty that it brings though.

I had a fun time with this game.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

I had a fun time with this game.
I'm glad! I'll run one again if people want.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

How big can this game get? Now that we know how it works I'd love to see a huge crazy one. The 1-day format is a lot of fun.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

How big can this game get? Now that we know how it works I'd love to see a huge crazy one. The 1-day format is a lot of fun.

I think there are enough roles for a 24 player game, but that would be loving insanity.

I am glad you liked the game :)

This game is a direct port of an IRL card game. Here are PDFs of the Rules for that game and its expansion.

You might have fun looking at the other roles :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :parrot: :pcgaming: :siren: RECRUITMENT FOR NEXT GAME :siren: :pcgaming: :parrot: :spooky:

• Locked thread