Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: WELCOME TO AUSPOL-ONLY ONE NIGHT ULTIMATE WEREWOLF. :spooky:

(please do not post in here unless you are playing)

Players

- Asphyxious
- Bifauxnen
- Birdstrike
- Gough Suppressant
- Mad Katter
- Matthew Beet
- MysticalMachineGun
- Sky Coq
- Small Keating

Overview

The game takes place in a town of Townies and Werewolves. It goes for one night, followed by one day. During the day, the players cast votes. At the end of the day, the player with the most votes is lynched. This lynch determines which team wins the game.

Preparation

This game is played with cards, each of which has a role printed on it. These are Role Cards. First I shuffle a deck of Role Cards and deal each player a single Role Card. There will be three Role Cards left over; these go in the Leftovers pile.

Before the night phase, each player looks at their Role Card. The Role Card will tell you who you are, and what if anything you can do during the night phase.

Night phase

Each role has a night action. At night, each player submits their night action. I will make a post setting out the order in which night roles are to be resolved. (This order will refer to all possible Role Cards, including those which are not assigned to any player but are instead discarded to the Leftovers pile.) I will then process each night action in that order. If I need to send you the results of your night action, I will do so.

Day phase

The players wake up, post, and vote. Votefinder will track votes throughout the day. Voting is not done to hammer (i.e. the day does not end when a person receives a majority of votes).

Although Votefinder will track the votes, the final votes are submitted to me by PM when the day ends. This means that all votes are effectively cast simultaneously.

Once all the votes have been cast by PM, I will reveal them in the thread, along with the game result.

The player with the most votes is lynched. If it's a tie, and the tied players each have more than one vote, both those players are lynched. If at least one player currently holding a Werewolf Role Card is lynched, Town wins. Otherwise, the Werewolves win.

:spooky: What you REALLY need to understand :spooky:

1) Some night actions result in Role Cards being reassigned during the night. When you wake up for the day phase, you may no longer be who you thought you were. (Moreover, you generally don't get to look at your Role Card at the start of the day phase.)

2) Because the Role Card you are dealt before the night phase may be different from the one you wind up holding during the day phase, your win condition may be different as well (e.g. you may have started as a Villager but become a Werewolf overnight).

3) Because three Role Cards are discarded to the Leftovers pile, and not dealt to the players, not all roles will be in play. (For example, there may be no Seer, no Hunter, or even no Werewolves.)

Roles and order of night actions

This stuff can be found in this post.

What happens now?

If you have any questions, please ask!

I hope to send out the role PMs and GET THIS PARTY STARTED sometime on Wednesday.

:spooky: Once the game starts, do not discuss it outside this thread. :spooky:

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Question: Is saying how awesome this sounds and how excited I am a question?

It's actually the best question; I am glad you asked it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

Can you run this again sometime soon? I wanna play this, but I'm drowning in assessment.

This is very much an experiment. This game is incredible fun in real life but I have no idea how it is going to translate here. If the results are at all encouraging, I will definitely do it again.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

Do we all lose if both a townie and a wolf are lynched?

No.

If there is a tie between a Townie and a Werewolf, at least one Werewolf has been lynched, and so the Townies win.

e: removed information that's no longer relevant to this game.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 5, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'll tan yer hides.

TOML, how many roles are there? Are there going to be far more roles than players?

I'll post the full list of roles later today. There will be 8 different roles (9 if a potential new player gets back to me). For some roles more than one person will have that role - like how in mafia there can be several vanilla townies. Remember, though, this is just the list of roles that's available in the game. Some of those roles will not get dealt out.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: :spooky: :siren: :spooky: IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky: :siren: :spooky: :siren: :spooky:

I have changed the OP to reflect a different voting system.

Those On My Left posted:

Day phase

The players wake up, post, and vote. Votefinder will track votes throughout the day. Voting is not done to hammer (i.e. the day does not end when a person receives a majority of votes).

Although Votefinder will track the votes, the final votes (i.e the only ones that actually matter and determine the game) are submitted to me by PM when the day ends. This means that all votes are effectively cast simultaneously.

Once all the votes have been cast by PM, I will reveal them in the thread, along with the game result.

The player with the most votes is lynched. If it's a tie, and the tied players each have more than one vote, both those players are lynched. If at least one Werewolf is lynched, Town wins. If the Tanner is lynched, the Tanner wins. If a Townie is lynched, the Werewolves win.

This means that people will not be screwed if they can't get online in the last hour of the day.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 5, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

Does that mean I can vote differently in PM to my thread vote?

Bifauxnen posted:

Hmmm, so does this mean people could be all shady and make a show of voting one way in the thread and on votefinder, but then override it and secretly PM you something else?
Yes.

This reflects the way the game works in real life. People spend the whole day phase talking about who they're going to vote for, and pointing at each other to indicate how they're going to vote. Then, when the day ends, the announcer calls "3, 2, 1, VOTE" and everyone simultaneously points at the person they want to lynch.

It's not uncommon for games to end with one person screaming "WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU VOTING FOR ME, YOU SAID YOU'D VOTE FOR HER INSTEAD". Fun, eh?

I will reveal the final votes in thread once they are all cast. (I will update the OP to reflect this.)

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 5, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: ROLES :spooky:

The following Role Cards will be shuffled at the start of the game. Each player will be dealt a single Role Card. There will be three leftover; these will be discarded to the Leftovers pile.

Villager x 3 (Town aligned)

If you are dealt a Villager Role Card, then you have no night actions!

Werewolf x 2 (Werewolf aligned [duh])

Night action: If you are dealt a Werewolf Role Card, then at night one of two things will happen. (1) If another player was dealt a Werewolf Role Card, you will each receive a PM from me that tells you who the other Werewolf is. (2) If no other player was dealt a Werewolf Role Card, I will PM you telling you this. You may then PM me requesting that I reveal one of the Role Cards that was discarded to the Leftovers pile. (This may enable you to make a successful fake roleclaim.)

Mason x 2 (Town aligned)

Night action: If you are dealt a Mason Role Card, then at night you will each receive a PM from me. If another player was dealt a Mason Role Card, my PM will tell you who it is. If no other player was dealt a Mason Role Card, my PM will tell you that.

Seer x 1 (Town aligned)

Night action: If you are dealt a Seer Role Card, then at night you will PM me with your night action. You may choose one of two possible actions. (1) You may choose to reveal (to yourself) the Role Card currently held by a particular player. (2) You may choose to reveal (to yourself) two of the Role Cards in the Leftovers pile.

Robber x 1 (Town aligned)

Night action: If you are dealt a Robber Role Card, then at night you may choose to PM me the name of another player. You will swap the Role Card that you currently hold for the Role Card that the other player currently holds. I will PM you, telling you what your new Role Card is.

Troublemaker x 1 (Town aligned)

Night action: If you are dealt a Troublemaker Role Card, then at night you may choose to PM me the names of two other players. Their Role Cards will be swapped. You will not learn what either Role Card is.

Insomniac x 1 (Town aligned)

Night action: If you are dealt an Insomniac Role Card, then at the end of the night phase I will PM you telling you what Role Card you currently hold. (This may sound insignificant, but it actually means that the player who is dealt the Insomniac Role Card is the only player who knows for sure who they are when the day phase starts.)

Hunter x 1 (Town aligned)

Lynch action: If you are dealt a Hunter Role Card, then something special happens if you get lynched. The player you cast your vote for gets lynched as well (regardless of how many votes that player received).

:spooky: ORDER IN WHICH NIGHT ACTIONS OCCUR :spooky:

1) The Werewolves find out which other player was dealt a Werewolf Role Card (or the lone Werewolf reveals a Leftover Role Card to themselves).

2) The Masons find out which other player was dealt a Mason Role Card.

3) The Seer performs their night action (revealing either one player's Role Card, or two Leftover Role Cards, to themselves).

4) The Robber may swap their Role Card with another player.

5) The Troublemaker may swap two players' Role Cards.

6) The Insomniac looks at their Role Card.

:spooky: ANY QUESTIONS? :spooky:

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 07:30 on May 5, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Asphyxious posted:

Where'd the Tanner go?
I've got a friend who is really familiar with this game IRL (he ran the ones that I played). He helped me pick roles that are better for newbies; the Tanner didn't make the cut.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

What would the Tanner role have included? Is it similar to survivor?

I don't want to complicate the discussion of this game too much, but it's basically a Werewolf-aligned Jester. If no Werewolves are lynched, the Tanner wins - whether or not the Tanner gets themselves lynched. They should try to draw votes away from the Werewolf.

If this game isn't a complete debacle I can include them in a later version of the game :)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Ah, okay cool. I can see how that would really sow confusion.

:ssh: The whole game is about confusion :ssh: (and that's not even the worst role, not by a long shot).

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Insomniac comes last after all the craziness is done, and gets to see their role card. Since you said they're the only ones who can be sure of their role, they'll get told they're the insomniac before all those other actions go down, right? In other words, they will have special confirmation that their role is current and up-to-date based off their starting off as an insomniac? So then if they end up with something else, they'll not only know their role for certain, but that they were switched with somebody who now holds their townie insomniac card?
Everyone (including the Insomniac) gets told what Role Card they're dealt before the night phase happens. (This is how people know what night actions to perform.)

However, as you say, the person who gets dealt the Insomniac gets to look at their Role Card before daybreak. At this point they may discover that they're holding, say, the Seer. Given the roles that are in play in this game, they would have to reason that they were targeted by the Troublemaker, such that their initial Role Card (Insomniac) got swapped with another player's initial Role Card (Seer). On that basis, yes, they'd have to know that one of the other players is a Troublemaker, and that another player now holds the Insomniac Role Card.

Bifauxnen posted:

Werewolves and Masons can be notified of the other's identity, but this comes early in the queue and might be changed. So unlike standard Mafia, I presume that masons and scum/werewolves will NOT be allowed to communicate out of thread? It's just a clue for them to work off of, so they can nudge-nudge wink-wink at each other inside the thread? While hoping that their team is actually still in place?
Correct! No out of thread communication of any kind. The two people who were dealt Werewolf Role Cards will know each other's identities, but they can't plan out of thread. They'll have to subtly try to shape the voting for their purposes.

However, as you point out, they'll also have to be trying really hard to work out whether they themselves are actually still Werewolves. If a person who was dealt a Werewolf Role Card winds up holding a Villager Role Card (say, because a Troublemaker switches Role Cards), they now only win if a Werewolf gets lynched.

But they won't know for sure what Role Card they're holding! They'll have to try to work it out! If they come to believe that they're no longer holding a Werewolf Role Card, they might decide to throw their partner under the bus. (Which might work, but only if that player is actually still a Werewolf.)

:spooky::lsd::pcgaming::unsmigghh::troll::parrot::russbus:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

Haha this is nuts, I love it.

I was just thinking that the 1-night format and lack of nightkills really encourages roleclaiming for town. A massclaim might make it possible to piece together what's happened, especially if there's 2 werewolves who make bad calls about what to fakeclaim and get caught out.

But if you're a townie that got switched with a werewolf, successfully putting the puzzle together means you get shafted.
This is exactly it. It's much more a deductive game for literally everyone involved, with a couple of people who have incentives to fakeclaim and screw things up for the Town.

When this is done in real life, each game takes around 5 minutes, which means there's really not a lot of time for people to consider the competing claims and narratives (or to think up their own bullshit stories to spin). Obviously that will be a lot different here - I'm thinking of doing just one twelve hour day. If this makes it too difficult for the Werewolves, or too boring and logical, there are ways to spice that up in new versions.

But yes, mass roleclaims are a big part of this game. In most of the games that I've played, right out of the gate people are saying "Okay, so I was <role X> and at night I <did Y>". Problem is, some of them might be full of poo poo.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: ALRIGHT I'M STARTING THE GAME NOW :siren: :spooky:

I begin shuffling the deck of Role Cards! I will deal out the Role Cards and send you each a PM with further instructions!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: I HAVE SENT OUT ALL ROLE PMs :siren: :spooky:

If you do not have a Role PM, or if you have any questions, please PM me.

If you have a night action, please PM me that night action.

Please get all this done before 10am tomorrow (Melbourne time)!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: Here's what happened overnight :siren: :spooky:

1) Any players who were dealt a Werewolf Role Card were told each other's identity. If only one player was dealt a Werewolf Role Card, they could choose to look at one of the three Leftover Role Cards

2) Any players who were dealt a Mason were told each other's identity.

3) If a player was dealt the Seer Role Card, they could choose to look at another player's Role Card, or to look at two Leftover Role Cards.

4) If a player was dealt the Robber Role Card, they could choose to swap their Role Card with another player. The player who was dealt the Robber Role Card would then be able to look at their new Role Card.

5) If a player was dealt the Troublemaker Role Card, they could choose to swap two other players' Role Cards.

6) If a player was dealt the Insomniac Role Card, they get to look at the Role Card they are currently holding.

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: IT IS NOW DAYTIME. :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

The day will end at 10pm Melbourne time, at which point you should each PM me your vote.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Click a player name below to view all the posts made by that player in this thread.

1. Asphyxious
  2. Bifauxnen
  3. Birdstrike
  4. Gough Suppressant
  5. Mad Katter
  6. Matthew Beet
  7. MysticalMachineGun
  8. SKY COQ
  9. Small Keating

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 6, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

I notice I'm not on the player list, I presume this is because I haven't posted in thread yet.

:ghost: :spooky: fixed :ghost: :v: :v:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:munch:

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: CLARIFICATION AS REQUESTED :siren: :spooky:

1) At the end of the day, you must cast a vote for someone by PMing me. You do not have the option of not voting.

2) If no Werewolf Role Cards are held by any players during the day phase (i.e. if none were dealt out), Town will still lose if it lynches a Town-aligned player.

3) As previously mentioned, if there is a tie, and if the tied players have more than one vote each, each tied player is lynched.

4) It follows from 2 and 3 that the only way for Town to win if there are no Werewolves is this: each Town player must vote for a different Town player, so that everyone is tied on one vote, and no one is lynched.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Votecount for Day 1

Matthew Beet (5): Asphyxious, Birdstrike, MysticalMachineGun, SKY COQ, Mad Katter
Birdstrike (1): Birdstrike, Small Keating, Birdstrike
SKY COQ (0): Birdstrike, Birdstrike, MysticalMachineGun, MysticalMachineGun
Bifauxnen (0): Birdstrike, Birdstrike

Not Voting (3): Bifauxnen, Gough Suppressant, Matthew Beet

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to lynch. The current deadline is May 06th, 2015 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :siren: :spooky: THE DAY IS OVER :spooky: :siren: :spooky:

Please PM me your vote as soon as possible.

Remember that you are not allowed to vote for no one. You must vote for another player!

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:parrot: :spooky: :parrot: THE VOTE :parrot: :spooky: :parrot:

Asphyxious votes for Matthew Beet!
Bifauxnen votes for Birdstrike!
Birdstrike votes for Matthew Beet!
Gough Suppressant votes for Matthew Beet!
Mad Katter votes for Matthew Beet!
Matthew Beet votes for Birdstrike!
MysticalMachineGun votes for Matthew Beet!
Sky Coq votes for Matthew Beet!
Small Keating votes for Birdstrike!

At the end of the voting:

Matthew Beet has 6 votes.
Birdstrike has 3 votes.

:pcgaming: Matthew Beet is lynched! :pcgaming:

As your friendly Moderator, it is my job to reach across the table and reveal Matthew Beet's Role Card. It is...

Werewolf.

:krad: TOWN VICTORY!!! :krad:

So here's what happened:

quote:

I shuffled the deck and dealt:
- Asphxious a Mason card
- Bifauxnen a Werewolf card
- Birdstrike a Seer card
- Gough Suppressant a Villager card
- Mad Katter an Insomniac card
- Matthew Beet a Werewolf card
- MysticalMachineGun a Robber card
- Sky Coq a Mason card
- Small Keating a Villager card

- Leftover 1 a Villager card
- Leftover 2 a Troublemaker card
- Leftover 3 a Hunter card

Then, Birdstrike Looked at Leftovers 2 and 3 (Hunter and Troublemaker)

Then, MMG robbered Mad Katter, swapping the Insomniac for the Robber.

I'd love to hear what you guys thought of this game! I'll post a little later with my own thoughts.

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 6, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Towards the very end of the game, Beet sent me a PM saying he wasn't sure how the werewolves could have worked their way out of this one. I didn't give anything away at the time, but thought it might be useful to set out some options in the thread, after the game had ended. This might give you all a bit of a taste of the potential this game has.

Option 1) Either of you could have claimed Robber after this post.

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I was the insomniac, and I'm now the robber. I'm curious to find out if the robber targeted me, or if we were switched.

Of course, MysticalMachineGun would have come in and contradicted you. But the chances are that there would have been no way for that dispute to be factually resolved. Maybe someone else would've made a Seer claim in an effort to clear things up, but then the other Werewolf could have claimed that they themselves were the Seer.

Option 2) Beet could have made a fourth Villager claim. This would've been dangerous because Bif had already claimed Villager, but you could have used this to sow doubt on someone who claimed Villager and then didn't post much (e.g. Small Keating).

Option 3) Bif could have claimed Seer after this post.

Birdstrike posted:

Sorry Beet, I rolled Seer. I had a peek at Discarded Cards 2 and 3. They were Troublemaker and Hunter.

I told you to claim Villager man, I told youuuuuu

Bif could've said that she revealed SK or GS's cards and found that they were Villager.

Of course, none of these options are perfect, but the game wouldn't be much fun if a perfect play were available. I think one of the main differences between this and Mafia is that it's pretty much never in the Werewolves favour to lay low and let Town screw itself, because here there's actually a chance Town can solve the puzzle. The Werewolves pretty much need to lie to win.

The Werewolves also need to think about whether it's better to claim first and then be contradicted, or to come in later and contradict someone else's claim. (I think the answer depends on the circumstances.)

SKY COQ posted:

It was half joking but I was genuinely worried that literally everything could have changed overnight.

This is a good post. One of the main tensions in the game is wanting to shape the game (e.g. by dumping your info to help solve the puzzle if you're Town, or by lying if you're Werewolf) and also not wanting to gently caress up your win condition (by thinking you're on one side when you actually got switched to the other overnight).

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think you do need consecutive games for it to work as a forum game, since you're losing so much information by not having access to physical tells.

Well, the game is a piece of cake to run, so I'd be happy to do another game whenever. I'll definitely add in an extra role next time; either the Tanner or the Minion.

Asphyxious posted:

Fun game, probably would work with a much shorter day. The longer a day is, the better and better it gets for town, and the werewolves only real weapon is confusion and guile.

I'd say run it over something like four hours and make sure everyone agrees to be there during that time, I can see why 12 hours would work as a "everyone gets their say" safety net, but having that much time to think and observe weights it in towns favour.

If it works for everyone, I'd be happy to do something like 3pm-9pm.

Since this game is meant to be played fairly quickly you could do multiple rounds and build up a profile of people that way.

In real life the game is played to a timer. We had the most fun with setting the timer to 3 minutes. :v:

A few comments about this series of posts:

Those On My Left posted:

4) It follows from 2 and 3 that the only way for Town to win if there are no Werewolves is this: each Town player must vote for a different Town player, so that everyone is tied on one vote, and no one is lynched.

Bifauxnen posted:

What the fuuuuck that's even worse

Asphyxious posted:

The idea of coordinating voting in that manner beggars belief.

You're both correct! If there are no Werewolves, it's really hard for Town to win; they basically have to build an accurate shared narrative and gather enough trust so that everyone is happy to vote according to a set plan. This is really difficult!

But then again, shouldn't it be? If there's no team of Werewolves out there making your life difficult - giving you an obstacle that you need to overcome - then the game has to provide one for you.

Finally,

Bifauxnen posted:

things were pretty locked down with 2 masons and the robber hitting the insomniac!

Correct. Add in the Seer taking the unusual (in my experience) step of checking the discard pile, AND THEN revealing two unique roles, yes, this particular round was very hard for the Werewolves. (Although, I as I say above, there were a couple of plays that more experienced Werewolves might have been able to get away with.) But that's kind of how One Night Ultimate Werewolf goes. Some games are going to be easier for the Werewolves, some are going to be easier for Town.

In some games there'll be no role-switching, in other games the role-switching will be so intense that you might have difficulty following it (especially with people trying to lie about it). Hopefully, each round should be a bit distinctive.

Yes this might make it ~*unbalanced*~ but hopefully it will also make it fun. People (understandably) get super invested and passionate about mafia games in part because they run for up to a week, so if a dodgy mechanic or an unbalanced set up screws them they can find that a really frustrating experience. Hopefully you won't find that to be the case with One Night Ultimate Werewolf, because you just have a laugh about it, and go again.

Anyway, overall I'm happy that you all seem to have had fun. :)

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 7, 2015

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Oh, also, did anyone think it was worthwhile having Votefinder track this game? I'm not sure it really added much. If it's not worth using Votefinder for games like this, then I won't do it in future, which will make this game even easier to mod.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Matthew Beet posted:

Yeah I'd say sans vote finder.

Thanks for this. Gives me some food for thought.

NP. I can understand that this first game was probably a bit frustrating for you and Bif but hopefully you still had some fun.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

Btw did anyone PM a vote different to what they stated?

I don't think so.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

I had a fun time with this game.
I'm glad! I'll run one again if people want.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

How big can this game get? Now that we know how it works I'd love to see a huge crazy one. The 1-day format is a lot of fun.

I think there are enough roles for a 24 player game, but that would be loving insanity.

I am glad you liked the game :)

This game is a direct port of an IRL card game. Here are PDFs of the Rules for that game and its expansion.

You might have fun looking at the other roles :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

:spooky: :parrot: :pcgaming: :siren: RECRUITMENT FOR NEXT GAME :siren: :pcgaming: :parrot: :spooky:

• Locked thread