Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really hope they can fix the crafting a little. The combination of top-tier Skill Regen gear being buyable in shops and crafting being kinda meh to begin with basically makes it worthless once you start getting any good Skill gear.

I really feel like Skill Regen should be a rarer stat than it is. It's so absurdly powerful but so easy to stack. Considering two characters have "sacrifice a move for great skill regen" skills it feels like it was rarer at one point.

Edit: Mecha Hit Chance also has kind of the same problem. Being able to get more hits in reliable is way way more valuable than a once-every-5-rounds nuke or whatever.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I did too but just because I saved it for the final health bar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BexGu posted:

Is there any special reason to use the kickstarter backer characters or do they just provide more options?

Just more options

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is probably for the best. The game is nowhere NEAR balanced enough for multiplayer right now. (Stacking SWAT?)

Blockhouse posted:

Are there any rock quarries in this game I haven't seen one yet

Yes there are.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dialogue really really could have used an English editor. It's not unreadable but it's incredibly ESL at times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Holy poo poo I just heard it got pulled from some places. This game is so tiny I can't believe Saban and Toei went and got it pulled. I wonder if they'll take the "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" from the title and such.

It's kinda funny considering the plot though.

The plot is such an amazing gently caress you.

I knew who he was supposed to be I didn't even think about it until a friend pointed it out that Dr. Mi Ah's name is just Haim (as in Haim Saban) backwards.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

That's basically my point, though. Toei and Saban don't own the entire concept of 3 or more people who transform into a brightly-colored fighting force to have adventures about hamfisted morality and the magic of friendship. There's a lot of ways you can do a game like that where players go "Oh, this is totally a Sentai/PR simulator". As you point out, they do a lot of stuff right in that regard (I think Transitmancer was an outstanding "Looks like Rita if you're drunk" first monster), but I still can't shake the impression that Beyond decided to hew too closely to the copyrighted material, and that's whats causing their problems more than anything.

Christ, the show you quit is called Super Rangers. Call it Super Hyper Fighting Force, and voila, I just took one problem away.

It still doesn't really work though

Like look at Zettai Hero Project: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman. That's got, if anything, even more direct references than Chroma Squad. It just gets a pass because even a company like NISA can afford to tell Saban to gently caress off.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This one got in trouble. In this case, it looks like the devs didn't do enough, knowing they were a pushover and would have no chance of fighting back, to distance themselves.

It doesn't really matter. Saban went after them because they were easy targets. Short of not making it about multicolored superheroes at all it would have probably been the same. It isn't a matter of not doing enough, it's a matter of not having the money to defend themselves. If they did they'd have pretty solid odds of winning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I agree that Saban went after them because they were easy targets; that's my drat point. In making a game like this, any developer has to make the decision between "We're kinda sorta maybe adapting something from the original source and "We're totally stealing this from an original source" with basically everything.

You're missing the point though. It doesn't matter what they did. Unless they didn't make a Super Sentai homage (which in fact defeats the point) they were going to be targeted.

Rocketlex posted:

There's really nothing to suggest this is the case. Even the original Kickstarter pitch named the main characters after the characters from Power Rangers. Like, not parody names. The Yellow Ranger was just named Trini. For a parody, they've been way more directly-referential than necessary from the very beginning.

There are far more blatant things which have been protected, especially when it comes to homage and parody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

As we're discussing a game that has had to deal with multiple setbacks due to developers actively/intentionally lifting from a copyrighted material, it clearly does matter what they did and didn't do.

No, it doesn't. Again, short of not making a sentai parody, there is nothing they could do to avoid this. Unless they made a Chroma Squad that was entirely unrecognizable as a sentai parody then they would face the exact same situation.

This is the thing you don't seem to get. The entire reason this happened is because they couldn't afford to fight a court case. If they did have the time and money for a court case then there is a not-insignificant chance they would have won. (And likewise, Saban would probably not have bothered to go after them.)

Nobody wants to play a Tattooed Teenage Fighters From Beverly Hills SRPG which is deathly afraid of evenly lightly homaging the source material. The entire point of Chroma Squad is that it is a loving homage/parody to a specific kind of thing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Sentai simulator? Dont be insane. We're just making a parody of all those shows on TV in the 90s that had latex suited punchmen flying about doing karate.

... so the exact thing they're parodying. Things like Big Bag Beetle Borgs and Masked Rider were also tokusatsu shows.

Your argument makes literally no sense. You seem to be arguing they should have made a game that somehow at once is recognizable as a parody of a specific genre while also containing no elements of that genre at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

No specific elements. Don't put characters from That Show in the background. Don't put one of the main characters of That Show in the background. Don't even bring up something close to That Show. Hell, have someone interrupt someone else who gets close to mentioning That Show. No, That Show had a head in a tube, let's not settle for a brain in a tube.

Be creative. Trust your audience to see the connections without glaring HEY ITS LIKE SENTAI, GET IT littered about that even the blindest of lawyers will sniff out.

Okay. And how would this have changed anything?

Do you think Saban wouldn't have done the exact same thing if it was a multicolored group of heroes mentored by a flying pig? Or a multicolored group of heroes mentored by a waffle?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

The Brain-in-a-Tube I actually consider acceptably creative especially since it has a very different..."personality." It's having Alpha 5 and Bulk and Skull just standing around that's...like...really, guys? That's not parody. That's not even a joke.

I don't particularly think it's a joke but "hey, look, it's that thing" is a pretty established form of humor on both sides of the ocean. It's a big selling point of poo poo like Family Guy. Injokes and references being hidden as easter eggs in the background and crowd shots is also incredibly common.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

Made the resulting product less of a ripoff and more of a parody, as was supposedly intended. Also, has the benefit of not having a big neon sign saying 'Sue Us' on it.

So? It doesn't matter. The existing Chroma Squad is already well on the side of parody. This is the thing you continue to ignore. Saban didn't go after them based off the full and finished game. They went after them based off the concept.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

They went after them based on the concept, resolved their issues, then went after them again when the finished game turned out to be a lot more of a ripoff than the developers told them.

That is not actually what happened, unless you have some special behind-the-scenes information nobody else does.

Literally all we know is that the game is not available on Steam in countries where tokusatsu (not Power Rangers) air on television. "argle blargle they did it because it was more of a ripoff" is entirely you making poo poo up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, it's like arguing with a brick wall.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

MisterBibs is a well know dumbass and shouldn't be encouraged.

Making my techie the beaver turned out to be a great idea, makes the romance subplot all the more funny and awkward.

Techie is the best choice for ridiculous characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I really wish this game would've taken a moment to explain a few more things, including:

- Rifles being an insane upgrade in terms of range.
- Skill regen.
- What the hell crafting rate does.
- And a few of the things in advertising or whatever, like fan conversion and income conversion.

I think they ran into the "we're gamers so this stuff is self-evident" problem there. I figured out most of those things just from the name but if you're not speaking the same 'language' then there's no inherent reason to assume rifle is long-range.

A lot of that stuff is "it's named this so you probably understand" but I notice a lot of people getting confused at the conversion stuff so they really probably could have explained it better.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 7, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'd go so far as there's no reason to assume the rifle is long-range period. I thought it was just another alternative weapon type with a different stat spread, like axes or daggers.

No, there absolutely is.

In video game language "rifle" vs "pistol" is almost exclusively a matter of range and stopping power. If you have a rifle-type weapon in a game its advantage is almost always greater range, the same as a shotgun is almost always a close-range powerhouse, and so-on. If you get a rifle in a game you can assume that, as long as you're reasonably used to that.

Sword and Pistol can be equipped by anyone but the other weapons have specific strengths/weaknesses you'd expect from their weapon type. (Knives have low cooldown because they're fast, spear has 2 range because it's a spear, axe is slow but high-damage, ect). It's just that this is all video game logic the game expects you to know.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, cool, so I guess I retroactively always knew my Techie would get a bigger range on his skill from using a rifle. Thanks for setting me straight.

I didn't say you do? I was pointing out why they designed it that way. People who play a lot of games tend to not think about the fact that things they consider self-evident are not self-evident to everyone. It's a common design flaw.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Section Z posted:

So, turns out that "defeat the last enemy with a finisher" does not always count when you use a weapon finisher

It absolutely does. The Director instructions are just bugged sometimes and fail to register.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The 2% pistol thing has to be some kind of goddamn glitch because it's ridiculous and everyone I know has gotten it too.

• Locked thread