Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Finally, it's time to take on the Sith mastermind of ... uh, wait, what did Darth Maul do in the Phantom Menace again? Hm, maybe I should check Wookiepedia.

As you might expect from a boss fight level, this video is mostly us failing at platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The worst LEGO game is probably the Harry Potter one that got to steam- its port contained a number of game-crashing errors, including one that made a certain room an inescapable trap. I had to mess with settings files in notepad to make it work. It was also the game that got TT to start handling PC ports themselves.

I've 100%ed all of them up to the LEGO movie one- I have it and Batman 3 to go. I may have a problem.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 11, 2015

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Xenoveritas posted:

Finally, it's time to take on the Sith mastermind of ... uh, wait, what did Darth Maul do in the Phantom Menace again? Hm, maybe I should check Wookiepedia.

As you might expect from a boss fight level, this video is mostly us failing at platforming.

You've got some really bad audio desync in this video. I'm not sure if it's just me though.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Audio sync seems fine to me. It may be a YouTube/browser problem?

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!

Xenoveritas posted:

Audio sync seems fine to me. It may be a YouTube/browser problem?

Yeah I think it seems to be on my end, as it happened with another video. Sorry.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

What the OP fails to mention, is that these games are like crack. I remembered buying the Clone Wars LEGO game so that my nephew would have something to play when visiting, and inspired by this LP I sat down to give it a whirl myself. Now I'm only 15 gold bricks from having that elusive 100% completion rate :sweatdrop:

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
This LP is bringing back some good memories. It is also bringing back the not so good memories on why I haven't played many of the LEGO games. At some point the collecting just becomes a chore. The games add more and more characters who fall into certain classifications that have certain actions, and then the games start adding multiple abilities to certain characters. After a while, switching between three characters just to get to a point where you need to use yet another character becomes tedious.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of the LEGO games being like crack, guess what's on sale today in the Steam store!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Hey, it's time for another update! Sort of.

This is just a quick peak at the stuff inside the Mos Eisley Cantina. We'll be back here to show off more stuff that's here ... much later.

Minor image URL edit if you're wondering what changed.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 20, 2015

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's finally time to enter into

This episode starts off with a level that was cut from the original LEGO Star Wars. We "chase down" a bounty hunter, where by "chase," I really mean "follow a completely linear path which the bounty hunter patiently waits for us at various checkpoints." Which is nice because it gives us time to blow up stuff, as good Jedis are wont to do.

This is also known as the good vehicle level in Episode II in that it's fairly straight forward and not terribly difficult to do. As opposed to the, well, other one. :suicide:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, was I doing an LP? Oh, right, I was. I should probably post an update.

So this level kind of sucks in co-op play. We have two characters - and that's it. Meaning that someone is always stuck being an astromech droid. And at this point we don't realize it's possible to swap characters with only two characters.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, this level looks cool.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Wow, that is kinda really sucky co-op. Let's have player one do everythign, while player two fucks around and does nothing. Kinda reminds me of when my big brother and sister forced me to play tails in sonic 2

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, there are a few levels where I'm not sure if being a co-op game was a decision from the start or not.

Anyway, I finally got around to finishing:

This level consists almost entirely of us falling to our deaths.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What's this, another update so soon after the last one? Yeah, don't expect this to happen that often.

This level starts Player 2 off as R2-D2 in the middle of an epic

because why should Player 2 be allowed to participate in something like that? They can slowly wheel around zapping people, and they'll enjoy it, dammit. (OK, so the level very quickly introduces other combat characters but it's still funny. If you're Player 1.)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hm, somehow I didn't notice this LP existed until now. Seems like a lot of fun so far, maybe I should finally fire up my copy of the game that I got from a Steam sale long ago... oh. Apparently I've only got the Lego Harry Potter ones, Lego Batman 2 and Lego LOTR. None of which I've actually played, of course, they're Steam sale games after all. :v:

also why were there no star wars legos when I was a kid dammit :arghfist::corsair:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Lego Batman 2 is legit great. And a big departure from the toher lego games.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, LEGO Batman 2 adds an open world section that works surprisingly well, at least in single player. I have no idea how it works with two players. A lot of the problems we're having with the game have more to do with co-op partners stepping on each other's toes. (In other words, the way co-op is supposed to work. :colbert:) I've yet to try one of the LEGO games with the auto-split screen feature so I have no idea how that works.

Doc Morbid posted:

Hm, somehow I didn't notice this LP existed until now. Seems like a lot of fun so far, maybe I should finally fire up my copy of the game that I got from a Steam sale long ago... oh. Apparently I've only got the Lego Harry Potter ones, Lego Batman 2 and Lego LOTR. None of which I've actually played, of course, they're Steam sale games after all. :v:

also why were there no star wars legos when I was a kid dammit :arghfist::corsair:

The LEGO Harry Potter games are apparently very buggy on the PC. I haven't tried them yet but apparently there's a bug where the game will freeze at some point which can be worked around using the lowest graphics settings. So be warned about that. I've yet to play LEGO LOTR although I grabbed it on sale. (I've played all the LEGO Batman games, though.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It works pretty well I found unless your co-op partner is retarded. Of coure, it does mean it's a lot faster to get the gold bricks if you split up in freeroam.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to admit, the LEGO games seem to hew, intentionally or unintentionally, toward comic mishaps like repeated screaming falls to the death or sticking one player with a noncombatant in a heavy combat zone. Your reactions sell the humor pretty well.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Glazius posted:

I have to admit, the LEGO games seem to hew, intentionally or unintentionally, toward comic mishaps like repeated screaming falls to the death or sticking one player with a noncombatant in a heavy combat zone. Your reactions sell the humor pretty well.

I can't think of any non-Star Wars LEGO game that has required "non-combatants" (though I haven't played them all so I could be wrong).

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
This took me forever to put together, and it's all because I decided I just had to mark every instance of the Power Brick being visible and us completely and totally ignoring it. But it's here.

This introduces a new mechanic that will, unfortunately, be showing up again: mines. You drag these bomb things to targets and blow them up. This level is a very easy version of using them.

Hopefully the next update won't take me as long to put together because I don't think it requires me to go frame-by-frame through parts of the video.

whitehelm posted:

I can't think of any non-Star Wars LEGO game that has required "non-combatants" (though I haven't played them all so I could be wrong).

I'm not aware of any either, but I've only really played the LEGO Batman games. This is the first (well, third) LEGO game that they made, and it's lacking some of the polish of later games.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, let's finish up Episode II, Attack of the Clones.

By doing this we unlock "Super Story" for Episode II (which probably means we glossed over it in Episode I). All Super Story does is have you play through the story mode in all chapters all at once. It's worth completion points but absolutely nothing else, so even if I bother doing it for this LP I'm not going to show it. And since the completion percentage indicator is worthless, I'm almost certainly not going to bother doing it.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Have a mini-update that shows off (briefly) that character creator in the Cantina.

Edit: Now with a proper update banner!

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Oct 20, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

out of curiosity how many times do you have to replay a mission to get 100%? Are you pretty much always going to have to do free-play?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It wildly depends on the level. The answer is almost always that you'll get True Jedi far more easily in Free Play though, if for no other reason than there are areas you can go to in Free Play that you can't in the Story mode.

We've yet to go back and do Free Play in any of the levels, primarily because while I think we have access to all the character types requires to access everything I'm not sure that we do. Specifically we still need to encounter a Bounty Hunter-type character in Story mode which I don't think happens until Episode VI. We have a Sith in Darth Maul and I think we have access to (but have not unlocked) Bounty Hunters that can be purchased for studs in the cantina.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

It wildly depends on the level. The answer is almost always that you'll get True Jedi far more easily in Free Play though, if for no other reason than there are areas you can go to in Free Play that you can't in the Story mode.

We've yet to go back and do Free Play in any of the levels, primarily because while I think we have access to all the character types requires to access everything I'm not sure that we do. Specifically we still need to encounter a Bounty Hunter-type character in Story mode which I don't think happens until Episode VI. We have a Sith in Darth Maul and I think we have access to (but have not unlocked) Bounty Hunters that can be purchased for studs in the cantina.

All the bounty hunters in the game have to be purchased, and I think you have two available right now (Zam Wesell and Jango Fett). You also need to either buy a clone for Imperial scanners or wait and get Cody in the middle of Episode III. All the vehicle levels need a TIE fighter which you can't buy until the end of Episode IV.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

whitehelm posted:

All the vehicle levels need a TIE fighter which you can't buy until the end of Episode IV.

I'm guessing Separatist droid fighters don't count as TIEs then?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I had to look this up, but it looks like those TIE doors are literally TIE doors: if the craft doesn't have TIE in the name, it can't go through them.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, let's enter

And immediately start out with a rail-shooter style vehicle level! Because those are always fun!

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I think that death animation may only play when you crash into one of the larger ships, which as I recall is an instadeath. Then again, it's been a very long time since I played this game, so I may be remembering wrong.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I think the minikit ship is one of these things. I actually enjoyed that level because it's short, reasonably fun, and you can get everything in one pass. It seems a lot more annoying in co-op though.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
We haven't shown it off yet (primarily because we currently have just that one single minikit completed), but there are minikit levels where you can play as the minikits. Through that, I can tell you that the official in-game name of the minikit is "Drop Ship."

However, you're right, it does look far more like droid gunship so ... who knows. My guess is based solely due to the game naming it "Drop Ship."

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Time for another level! This time we go to save the totally-not-a-Sith Emperor Chancellor Palpatine from his own schemes the Separatists.

This also continues a theme from the previous level where dying in one section would reset you back a bit and have you try again instead of just having you immediately respawn. This is going to come up again in a future chapter that goes ... uh ... yeah.

Anti-gravity pits.

I'm almost tempted to rewatch the movie to see if I can figure out why that section even exists.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Re: the anti-gravity pits. I think those are supposed to be the same as that steam vent you activated earlier.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You're probably right, but they have no graphical indication that they would work the way they do. I'm guessing they did at one point but the developers discovered it obscured the camera as you ran towards them, so they removed that detail.

Of course, the pits working the way they do is actually a bit of an advantage since it means accidentally waking into them is recoverable. But it's still incredibly confusing and could all have been avoided entirely if the camera was pulled out further so that you could see what you were doing!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
We've chased General Grievous to the sinkhole world of Utapau, and it's time for Obi-Wan to take on the evil General along with his trusted ally Clone Commander Cody, who was totally canonically with him for that battle and would never betray him.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 3, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's blocked!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Huh. Apparently the Star Wars theme itself is blocked worldwide (also, YouTube doesn't bother telling you that it blocked something).

Which is odd, because of course every single episode starts with the Star Wars theme and previous videos just got hit with being monetized, which I'm fine with.

Edit: Oh. And copyright strikes are permanent even if you delete the video, meaning my account is now limited to 15 minute videos.

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, so let's try this version with the Star Wars theme somewhat ... distorted.