Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
You know what? Since the opening crawl is always the same Star Wars theme and YouTube seems to be incredibly inconsistent about whether or not videos are allowed to use it, and by now you've all heard it, I'd like suggestions for what to replace it with in future videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

The disco star wars theme.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
gently caress tha Police by NWA

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, that took far too long to process, but no copyright strikes (although it did match some of the music), so here we go:

Let's defend Kashyyyk.

See if you can see how I've cleverly replaced the Star Wars theme in this video. I'm sure it's completely unnoticeable.

There's not much to say about this level other than it's long.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Was I doing an LP or something?

I guess I can blame Thanksgiving followed by the release of Just Cause 3 or something.

Anyway, let's see what's left of the Jedi after the execution of Order 66.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Next vid should have you guys doing the Star Wars rap.

Remember that thing? Remember how cool 2008 was?

Lego games are such a weird niche. They're kind of clunky to play, not particularly difficult, and I guess pretty funny in places. I can't stand em myself but I'm digging this LP.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
Have you seen the new film yet Xeno? What did you think?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I haven't had a chance to yet, and won't be able to until after Christmas.

But on the upside, I have tickets to see it in IMAX with a 4K laser projector, whatever that means. (Apparently the laser projector makes it better by having a greater contrast range than traditional IMAX projectors.)

The next video is going to be a thing, because it's another great example of the level design probably being done before co-op was added.

OvokJam
Jul 7, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

Have you seen the new film yet Xeno? What did you think?

I, however, have seen the new movie. And will be seeing it again with Xeno after Christmas. :v:

It's a great Star Wars movie. When you see me sorta freak out when we finally get to Episode 4... well, I really like the original trilogy (gently caress the prequels) and the new movie is like the original trilogy, so it's great.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I hope to have the Episode IV videos out about the time they release the first Episode IX trailer.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

OvokJam posted:

I, however, have seen the new movie. And will be seeing it again with Xeno after Christmas. :v:

It's a great Star Wars movie. When you see me sorta freak out when we finally get to Episode 4... well, I really like the original trilogy (gently caress the prequels) and the new movie is like the original trilogy, so it's great.

Would it make a good Lego game?

Xenoveritas posted:

I hope to have the Episode IV videos out about the time they release the first Episode IX trailer.

Just in time for the apocalypse.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What's this? Another update? Less than a week after the previous one?

It's a Christmas miracle!

In any case, let's get on with it. It's the last update for Episode III, bringing us to the dramatic conclusion of the prequel trilogy.

In the movie, we still have the epic battle between Yoda and the Sith Lord Darth Sidious and the epic battle between Obi Wan and his former apprentice Anakin. I'd ask you to guess which one we're ignoring and which one this video covers but I have a feeling the chapter title may give you a hint.

So, yeah, this level is - well, "a thing." It really feels like it's still using some old original game design where the game had traditional checkpoints when you died before they tried doing that in co-op and discovering that your co-op partner getting killed resetting progress kinda sucks.

So look forward to a lot of failed platforming and quite a bit of confusion over the sequence of actions you're supposed to be doing. This level doesn't really flow that well. It really could have used some more polish and it's honestly a bit confusing.

But, hey, this was the climax to the first Traveler's Tales LEGO game. So I guess I have to cut them some slack. Maybe.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

But, hey, this was the climax to the first Traveler's Tales LEGO game. So I guess I have to cut them some slack. Maybe.

No you don't. Even through later play throughs that level is terrible.

OvokJam said it himself. That level is Anti-Fun. Whilst the game as a whole makes the boring, lovely prequels actual fun, this level the exception.

The constant reset's when one of you dies, the broken hitboxes, and then combined with the camera issues that don't get fixed until Lego Indiana Jones...

:negative:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
They don't repeat this mistake, so at least they learned. At least, I don't remember them doing anything like that in later LEGO games but then again as the commentary in that level may have hinted at apparently I entirely erased that level from my mind.

Anyway, I just wanted to post that the LEGO games are on sale on Steam today, including LEGO Star Wars the Complete Saga, which is notable because it never goddamn goes on sale and I eventually paid the full $20 for it. Despite owning the Xbox 360 version.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Might as well give a status update on this, since I finally finished the first editing pass of a way too long video.

Basically, I decided it would be a fun idea to record a bit of LEGO Dimensions to show between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy.

That turned out to involve a ton of effort. So maybe it was a bad idea.

In any case, I've almost finished the first editing pass and now I just need to ... go ... through... sigh.

Uh, LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer! That's a thing that's tangentially related!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Uh, LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer! That's a thing that's tangentially related!

I would've expected them to wait for the whole trilogy to finish.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

whitehelm posted:

I would've expected them to wait for the whole trilogy to finish.

They didn't with The Hobbit and look how well that went.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do you really think they're patient enough to wait 6 years to make a new LEGO Star Wars game, especially since the iron is hot NOW?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It'll be interesting to see how things are different in Dimensions. Maybe you won't fall into lava pits every 30 seconds and have to restart from a checkpoint!

Dreamin' the big dreams, right here.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's been a while, but I've finally finished editing a video!

This is totally a real video. Ignore your calendar.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, so status on the next video and an explanation for why it's taking so goddamned long:

First, it's an hour and three minutes long. That may explain why, whenever I edit something and go to reload it, most of the time VirtualDub/AviSynth crash with an "unrecognized exception." So that made editing it really annoying. Secondly, due to LEGO Dimensions having the play pad being an actual gameplay element, there's a secondary video of the play area that I've edited in as needed to show off how that works. (The fact that AviSynth is therefore loading something like eight videos - the secondary video was split at 4GB boundaries - may also explain the crashing.)

I've finally gotten to the final stage. Timeline altering edits are done, which means I can do the final audio edit in Audacity to try and smooth out the audio issues caused by the microphone's placement in relation to the play pad. I had hoped to have that done before PAX East starts, but - well, effectively PAX East starts tomorrow for me. So... probably won't get the video out until next week at the earliest, and even that's assuming I can get the audio editing done.

I kind of wish I'd kept track of how much time I've spent on this, there's something like 1200 lines of JavaScript and 300 lines of AviSynth backing this thing. Go ahead and see if you can figure out WTF I used the JavaScript for when I finally release the video.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Here we go, finally.

This ended up being the perfect level to show off in LEGO Dimensions because it shows just about everything they do to make the play pad not just "a thing to make you buy more junk" but an actual part of the game play. They went out of their way to ensure that the play pad added something to the game beyond verifying you had bought the appropriate toys.

With that out of the way, we can start jumping into the Original Trilogy.

OvokJam
Jul 7, 2010
LEGO Dimensions is a legitimately fun game, despite the Toys-To-Life moneygrab. If it wasn't such a huge pain to record and a massive pain for Xenoveritas to edit, I'd want to LP the whole game. :v:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If we were going to do a full LP of this I'd just bite the bullet and go ahead and buy Premiere, because most of the editing issues were due to the programs I'm using (AviSynth+VirtualDub) really, really not liking a video that was over an hour long.

But let's finish this first...

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

This is making me want to drop my next 12 paychecks on poo poo I legit cannot afford. I hate you intensely now.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
LEGO Dimensions is seriously one of those games that I'd recommend but for the price. If you like any of the titles they take from, they did a really good job handling them and it's clear that a lot of love went into each of the worlds in it. (I mean, just look at what they did for Portal 2! This same level of care goes into every single level they did.)

But... it's still really expensive.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It's May the Fourth, which makes it ... Star Wars Day! Also a year since I started the thread. So that's kind of sad.

But wait, what's this?

That's right! Doing that Portal video took me months to edit, but doing this (much shorter) video was ... a fair bit quicker to edit.

So let's get into that Original Trilogy!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Captain Antilles first name is Raymus. :goonsay:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I guess over a month is long enough (I got a real bad cold following PAX East and bad allergies - it's been a fun May, let me tell you), so let's finally get to the part where Luke begins his Hero's Journey.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The Steam Summer sale starts today, and the LEGO games are on sale!

Except for this one. Because it's never on sale. I have no idea why, but it seems like it's just never on sale.

In any case, it's time to play through some of the most iconic scenes in Star Wars as we go through Mos Eisley and the cantina as Luke sets out on his journey to become a Jedi.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Ugh. I remember Episode 4's levels being unfun marathon slogs for the most part. That being said, Hoth holds my biggest antipathy.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, Hoth was where we ended our last recording session. However, before we could get to Hoth, we had to:

This level serves as a fairly good story demo of how there are more side areas in the Original Trilogy level than there were in the Prequel Trilogy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Still hated the hat machine bullshit.

Also, no clue on Alderran governance but Naboo had an elected monarch, who was a 14 year old girl? And whose dad was the long before who abdicated for his daughter to win the election? I don't loving know but George Lucas has issues?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I like the idea of the hat machines (sort of) but what they translate to is having to do a section of the level without ever being hit, which as demonstrated thanks to auto-aim including your co-op partner, can be rather difficult. Even in single player not getting hit is pretty hard - there's a reason health pickups are plentiful and death is so inconsequential in these games.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I had this episode ready like a week ago, but I decided to get a stupid glowing mount in Final Fantasy XIV instead. It was totally ... not worth the effort. In the slightest.

In any case, let's go ahead and:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What the heck? Me keeping a weekly update schedule for once? Weird.

It's time to finish off the first of the Original Trilogy and destroy the Death Star, in the only way it could possibly happen: a vehicle level.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Sorry to be that Star Wars nerd, but Yavin is the gas giant, Yavin IV is the fourth moon orbiting Yavin.

But yay for progress!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
What's this? Another weekly update? (Well, not in my timezone. But close enough.) Rather than do some intermission between the Original Trilogy episodes, I think I'm just going to go straight to the end.

Will I be able to do another update in a week?

Not a chance. Because it'll be PAX West, and I'm going to be there. Maybe I'll post some PAX-related video if there's something relevant there. (There was a LEGO Dimensions display last year.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

God, I loving hate this level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
There was nothing LEGO-game related at PAX this year - which isn't surprising, really, since the publisher didn't have a booth. There was LEGO Dimensions stuff last year.

However, while nothing was done related to games, World of Warships did a thing involving LEGO in conjunction with Brickmania. So I'm going through with that post anyway.

There were a bunch of little Easter eggs on the model as well.

For example, Cher is on it.

As was Superman.

Regular updates may (or may not, since the next level is the last level I have recorded) resume next week.