Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I probably could have gotten this up on Monday if I had tried hard enough, but - oh well.

After our valiant attempt at defending Echo Base from waves of Imperial probe droids (for some reason), it failed and now it's time to:

Not much to say about this level other than it adds in some ice physics and at one point combines that with an incredibly poor camera angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I jumped around watching assorted videos and it was enjoyable, thanks for the LP. On thing - if you're looking to cheese boss fights, you don't have to double jump and do the area effect attack to ignore their guard. Single jump and slash ignores guards, is faster on the recovery, and has its own little aim assist to boot.

yeah I played these way too much as a kid I'm sure no one can tell

:ninja:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Was I doing a LEGO Star Wars LP? Oh, right, I was.

So anyway, it's time for everyone's favorite level types, a vehicle level! I'd like to say that Traveller's Tales eventually figures out how to do these but - well, let's just put it this way: LEGO Dimensions removes them entirely.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Fwiw rhe Lego batman levels for vehicles are decent

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, they're decent because after the first LEGO Batman game they basically removed them and left vehicles as a method of traveling quickly around the hub world. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

Well, they're decent because after the first LEGO Batman game they basically removed them and left vehicles as a method of traveling quickly around the hub world. :v:
They replaced em with rail shooter levels I think.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I can't remember any specific rail shooter levels in later LEGO games. LEGO Dimensions makes vehicles a regular thing you can bring in like any other character and LEGO Batman 3 (which is basically LEGO DC Comics) made vehicle segments be entire separate worlds that are essentially "bonus stages" you can play that are entirely separate from the story.

In any case, have a preview of the next level:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I guess I'm now going for weekly on Saturdays. In any case, let's go to Bat-obah.

I mean,

It's full of bats. So many bats.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

<----------

feels like a good time to post

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

It's not a bat raping luke

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I think I may know the background to use for the Return of the Jedi episodes:

At the very end of the freaking level.

Yay.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xenoveritas posted:

I think I may know the background to use for the Return of the Jedi episodes:

At the very end of the freaking level.

Yay.

Common problem. Did you ever play the Lego Harry Potter? One of them had a game breaking bug on PC that crashed every time you got to a certain area unless you did this really random non intuitive camera trick. Tt doesn't seem to patch either. At least they didn't back then.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

hanales posted:

Common problem. Did you ever play the Lego Harry Potter? One of them had a game breaking bug on PC that crashed every time you got to a certain area unless you did this really random non intuitive camera trick. Tt doesn't seem to patch either. At least they didn't back then.

They still don't patch. One of the nastiest bugs I remember is in Lego Hobbit. There's a hub world section right before the Laketown level where you're riding around on Bard's barge (about 3/4 through the story). If you happen to fast travel away to do some side missions or whatever it glitches and you can't enter Laketown and continue the game. EVER. You'll have to start a new game.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That's still better than the PC version of Lego Jurassic World, where you just can't get past the fourth level no matter what..

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

fractalairduct posted:

That's still better than the PC version of Lego Jurassic World, where you just can't get past the fourth level no matter what..

I remember repeatedly crashing in the Jurassic Park 3 section where you get the parasail ability but that's a lot farther than the fourth level. Maybe I got lucky.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Complications posted:

I jumped around watching assorted videos and it was enjoyable, thanks for the LP. On thing - if you're looking to cheese boss fights, you don't have to double jump and do the area effect attack to ignore their guard. Single jump and slash ignores guards, is faster on the recovery, and has its own little aim assist to boot.

yeah I played these way too much as a kid I'm sure no one can tell

:ninja:

Finally got to videos recorded after this post so this post gets mentioned in

hanales posted:

Never did get around to playing the Harry Potter games. I'm pretty sure the bug we triggered is a known bug and involves going into one room before another room.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Can I do it? Can I get The Empire Strikes Back complete before December?

Yes!

So a note on the timeline for the movies: in the movie, the reason Darth Vader wanted to freeze Han Solo in carbonite was as a test run to make sure the process wouldn't be fatal, as he was going to freeze Luke Skywalker for - er, reasons. (To safely transport him to the Emperor or something?) Which means that the events of Chapter 5 and Chapter 6 are sort of reversed. The actual movie events kind of split between the two and Luke briefly runs into Lando and Leia as they chase after a frozen Han Solo - which is why we randomly pick up R2-D2 early in the level.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

whitehelm posted:

They still don't patch. One of the nastiest bugs I remember is in Lego Hobbit. There's a hub world section right before the Laketown level where you're riding around on Bard's barge (about 3/4 through the story). If you happen to fast travel away to do some side missions or whatever it glitches and you can't enter Laketown and continue the game. EVER. You'll have to start a new game.

Yeah and in Lego LOTR the first level never ended. Just stood there with no enemies coming. Forever :/

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Well, I've sat on this episode long enough due to a combination of the Christmas season, PAX South preparations, and then getting sick. But in any case, let's get going with:

This is also the first update since Carrie Fisher died and Princess Leia takes on a fairly prominent role in this level, becoming our first (and only) bounty hunter character available during story mode. I considered doing something to mark her passing at the end of the video but ultimately decided against it, mainly because it's already taken me long enough to release this video. So instead I'm just going to mention it in the thread.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Says video not available

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Says video not available

Works fine for me. Country of access issue? I'm in the States.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'm in Canada so I dunno

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Works for me? I dunno, YouTube has been amazingly inconsistent about ContentID on these things. Since the game uses the actual Star Wars music it almost always triggers a match but Sony (who has the music rights, apparently) has been mostly just monetizing the videos rather than blocking them. (So if you get ads, blame Sony.)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Could be a mobile issue. Couldn't open it on my tablet

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
OK, PAX East is now done with, so now I have time again, which means it's time for:

I kind of wish I had more to say about this one, but - it's just a great showcase of how unpolished this game can be. Nothing that's out-right bad, just a whole bunch of confusing things that make little sense.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't really have a good excuse for taking so long on getting to here, but this is the last one we had recorded (well, last one that we recorded without the game crashing), so let's get the obligatory

level out of the way.

This level is an interesting mix of good level design and bad level design. Good level design includes having the Scout Troopers show up on the bikes the player is going to use. The player is naturally going to defeat the Scout Troopers and then get onto their new prize, thereby continuing with the level. The initial sequence with the AT-ST is pretty good, too: the player again will naturally want to try out their new toy and the natural thing they can do now that they couldn't earlier is destroy the shield generator.

But then after the shield generator is destroyed, there's little reason for the player to expect they're supposed to repeat the speeder chase, and continuing to spawn enemies is a great way to suggest that there's more to do in the area.

Then there's things like the grappling point backwards at the start of the level. The game has never been shy about not providing some way of backtracking. It isn't shy about it in this level: each little point around the speeder bike loop can only be visited once, with the exception of the starting and ending point which is visited twice. It's essentially a trap, because a player would expect that building a new way should lead to something interesting and not backwards.

It's just an interesting mix of well designed elements and - well, not so well designed elements.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
A quick preview of the next level...

http://www.xenoveritas.org/static/lets-play/lego-star-wars/ep6/crash.webm

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 29, 2017

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

A quick preview of the next level...

:allears:

I've been binging this lp for the past few days, it's really fun. Looking forward to the rest!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Happy Star Wars Day!

I had hoped to have the next update up by now, but I've had a terrible cold for this part - well, week, basically, and part of that is being entirely stuffed up and not really able to perceive volume all that well. Which makes balancing audio somewhat difficult.

So hopefully some time next week. When I can hear properly again. And also breath. You know, minor things.

Edit: Oh, and hey, this game is currently on sale on Steam for $5! It almost never goes on sale for some reason!

Xenoveritas fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 4, 2017

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Xenoveritas posted:

It's just an interesting mix of well designed elements and - well, not so well designed elements.

In game dialogue posted:

"Once again, anything LEGO can and should be destroyed."
I'm only weeks late here, but a bit of horrible design that successfully fooled you guys slipped by. Do you remember those LEGO trees during the speeder bike segments? They're very deceitful little things. You see, not only can you not shoot them, but they hurt you when you hit them and they explode. Many of your early deaths in that level were caused by running through those trees when you were trying to shoot them. Naturally, they also put out a grand total of zero studs in that section. Given that later during the approach to the AT-AT building section you can shoot them/lightsaber them and gain studs it can be difficult to figure out.

Of course, this makes them quite a unique item - even in the Hoth snow speeder level you can shoot the little LEGO rock outcrops before you run into them even if they give little or no reward. The break in the usual pattern of always destroying LEGO items can really trip you up.

Complications fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 9, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
:siren:

This game is currently free on xbox games with gold for xbox one or 360. Started playing it with my 7 year old

:siren:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Happy Star Wars Day! Get it, because it's May the ... way, it's July the Fourth. Crap.

Well, have an update anyway. (So, yeah, a combo of being sick, trying to decide exactly what to do with three runs due to crashes, and Stormblood being released took up too much of my time.)

Now that I'm past that, the last two levels are relatively short and don't involve crashing so hopefully there shouldn't be quite as long a wait between updates.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

For some reason it's saying the video is not available.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

WilliamAnderson posted:

For some reason it's saying the video is not available.

It works for me.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
YouTube works in weird ways - these videos almost always trigger Content ID for the Star Wars music, which Sony has mostly chosen to simply monetized world-wide. But I think there are a few places where it just gets blocked, but I don't know.

In any case - it's finally time to get on to dealing with Emperor Palpatine.

Only one level to go until we finish out the story!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So....if you play this single player, the opening xutscene is different and instead you play as Luke dueling Vader. Which is better

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
No you don't? None of the levels play any differently with the second player "dropped out" (in fact, either player can drop in and out at any time). There is always at least one AI-controlled character in every level, even if you're playing alone. You always play as Luke and Vader fighting against the Emperor.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Xenoveritas posted:

No you don't? None of the levels play any differently with the second player "dropped out" (in fact, either player can drop in and out at any time). There is always at least one AI-controlled character in every level, even if you're playing alone. You always play as Luke and Vader fighting against the Emperor.

Weird. I really could sworn if you load it single player it's you vs vader

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
There is no "single player" mode. It's always co-op, but if you only have one player, then the second player is AI controlled. (This only really comes up in Freeplay mode, since in the story there are generally multiple "other characters" that are AI controlled.) Every level is designed to have at least two characters that can be player controlled at all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
So when you finish the story mode after Episode XI comes out are you planning to do free play?