Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Necc0 posted:

I don't think you know what the word 'customer' means

loving hell you're dense.

Every Uber advertisement (at least that I've seen/heard) is trying to recruit drivers, not riders. Why do you think that is?

Uber doesn't care about people riding in the cars, if they did they would advertise for that. By advertising for drivers and not customers they just gently caress over all their "Independent Contractors" by flooding the supply side of the market.

MLM companies do the same thing, they push the "opportunity" and the products are just incidental because they're not interested in selling the product, they want to recruit more people.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
McDonalds advertises their $1 cheeseburger meal deal on TV/Radio, not the franchise opportunities.

The point is that it should set off red flags that they try to get drivers so hard, either they're flooding the supply side of the market which is bad for drivers, or the turnover on their "independent contractor" is high because it's a lovely deal or their lovely to deal with.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Laserface posted:

This. My dad is an edge case. He enjoys driving (hes worked as a wedding chauffeur for close to 15 years on weekends), is in a financial position where hes not relying on Uber for its income at all, and it aligned well with his retirement plans he already had (sell his cars, buy an econobox for himself to get around in) and reduced his taxable income for the same financial year that he resigned from his job - he had long service and annual leave that accumulated to nearly 12 months of time off, so having that paid out meant he wanted to reduce his taxable income as much as he could.

I'm not tax accountant, but I don't see how his small business getting a tax break reduces his personal income tax obligations?

• Locked thread