Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Numismancer
Sep 15, 2004

by sebmojo

H1Z1 is a game of misunderstood genius. Its reputation has suffered attacks from a number of fronts: bugs, monetization controversies, and an incredibly vocal group of shrill critics on certain social media platforms. Many of us played it when the game first released, then put it down and walked away. Something critical was missing: an organized Goon presence.

On May 1st, Goonswarm - yes, that Goonswarm, from Eve Online - broke free from the confines of Internet Spaceships and invaded H1Z1, placing a foot firmly in two game universes for the first time. H1Z1 with our community is simply fantastic - with our organization, newbie mentoring, and brain trust, we have not only uncovered H1Z1’s true potential, we’re having a goddamned blast.

We have done something wonderful and terrible and cordially invite you, fellow goons, to witness the hilarity and insanity firsthand - so long as you don’t wear pants.

We are extremely serious about the no-pants rule. You'll see why, soon enough.

An Unfair Reputation: What to Expect

It’s best to confront the problems of H1Z1 directly. It is an early access Steam title, which means wacky bugs happen. Some claim it to be ‘pay to win’ due to a tornado of bad press and nonsense many months ago. Some tried it, wandered around solo or in small groups, and declared it boring. Yes, there are bugs. However, we have found ways around almost all of them, clever and organized knaves that we are. The ‘pay to win’ stuff was a manufactured scandal. H1Z1 has an airdrop system where one can pay for supplies to be dropped onto the map, but those supplies aren't that valuable and can be intercepted or looted from the corpses of the people ordered them. They simply are not a factor in the gameplay on the ground.

When played solo and facing an uphill learning curve, H1Z1 might not shine. Played with goons and creating mayhem across 12 servers simultaneously? H1Z1 solo is one thing; H1Z1 with us is something incredible.

A Diamond in the Rough in a Sandbox Full of Zombies (and Goons)

H1Z1 is the unholy child of Ultima Online, DayZ, Eve Online and Minecraft. There’s full-loot PvP, survival gameplay, proximity chat, a complex crafting system, and molotov cocktails. There is something for all playstyles: killers, crafters, builders, scouts, getaway drivers, hunters, farmers, and spies. Did we mention spies? H1Z1 is one of the only games on the planet besides Eve where an espionage metagame can thrive. Then, last but certainly not least, there is the apoplectic rage of the players opposing us who insist that playing in an organized, coordinated group larger than ten people is worse than cheating - and their finger-wagging admonitions that we are playing in their sandbox the ~wrong~ way.

This game has tremendous potential - the basebuilding and crafting elements combined with the full-loot PvP sandbox means that it is essentially turning into a third-person post-apocalyptic Civilization V full of zombies and pantless goons.

What We Offer: Fun, Internet Blood, and Salty Tears

So why play with us? We’re Goonswarm, plus our buddies from Eve we brought along to crash this zombie party. That means we bring the talents of a coalition of tens of thousands, honed over a decade in nightmarish internet space-war against impossible odds in one of the hardest and most obtuse games in the world - and all of those nifty tricks directly translate into H1Z1: our coordination group, our recon section, our fleet commanders, our logistics division, all of it has an analogue in H1Z1 due to their common lineage descended from Ultima Online.

Within 48 hours of hitting H1Z1, we had twelve outposts on twelve different H1Z1 servers, working together across one voicecomms platform and networked via jabber (a real-time chat and broadcast system) on both EU and US shards. Have you never played a survival sandbox game before? No problem, we have the best mentoring and newbie training system any guild, clan, or coalition has ever seen - we teach people how to play Eve every day, after all. We’ll teach you, hold your hand, show you how to kill, and next thing you know, you and fifteen of your new closest friends will be a force for postapocalyptic truth and justice valiantly defending a heavily fortified Imperial Outpost against the unwashed, shuffling hordes - there are even some zombies, too!

Only the most Badass of Tree-Forts will suffice.

Our Plan: Roman Fortresses and Pantsless Teleporting SWAT Teams

We’re bringing civilization to H1Z1, whether they want it or not. Our outposts are spreading across the H1Z1 servers every day. Each outpost has a commander and approximately 8-15 goons active during that server’s prime time in a heavily-defended, walled base. Like a Roman military camp, these outposts are designed from the same template; we even have a special team of specops engineers, an ‘advance team’, who specialize in scouting new servers and throwing up these massive fortresses while the opposition sleeps. Then the real fun begins.

Once established, each outpost generates enough arms and armor to allow our forces to create characters on multiple servers, each outfitted in full combat gear and then logged off until needed. Is the Outpost on the Misery server under assault? The ten goons in that base call for reinforcement, and twenty more log on ready to kill. Need to crack a hard target on an offensive raid? Blow the whistle, and our local forces triple. All of this is happening on a game where the largest group of hostiles we have yet encountered numbers at most five. Fair? No. Sporting? No. Fun? Hell yes.

Show me the Hijinks: True Goon Stories

We have such wonderful things to show you.

Here’s one of our first raids, knocking over a base of ‘elite’ players who scoffed at our pants-free might

Here’s another hostile base looted, with our signature machete calling card left behind as a warning.

Firsthand reportage from UllerRM:

quote:

I can't believe I didn't purchase this hilarious shipping container of pubbie tears sooner.

quote:

I have meticulously avoided the wave of survival sandbox games that have cropped up on Steam over the last couple of years. With all of these negative prejudices informing my perspective, I am still having a blast with this game. Detractors will and undoubtedly already have labeled this as some kind of cash grab conspiracy in which Le Martini and his gamedev friend jack off into infinity-dollar signs while exploiting the brain-dead goonie minions, but honestly the idea of doing stuff with a community, working as part of a team, coming together to pursue a common goal, and hanging out online with a bunch of space friends and meeting (and killing) new people is amazingly fun. If you have doubts, or if you are holding out on principle because the last spark of the True Flame of Goonieness must be preserved within your hardened soul, then consider not doing that and instead playing a buggy as gently caress zombie game with us.

quote:

Day 1 of the EU Server:

After spending the evening building the new base -- I decided to go into town to pick up some supplies. I hoofed it over to a gas station and had a jeep drive up with a few people in it. They didn't know I was there but it was only a matter of time so I figured 'hey I wonder if they left the car running?' So I hopped in and sadly they had pulled the parts but then I realized... THEY CAN'T FORCE ME OUT WITHOUT BLOWING UP THEIR CAR

So I waited...and they waited....and they cried... calling me a douche and probably 23 different instances of the word 'xxxx’' (I love you Brit folks)... they said 'well we don't give a gently caress we have another car coming to pick us up' -- and they proceeded to blow up the car.

-1 Car

So I respawned and to my amusement I realized 'Hey i'm only a few hundred yards from where I was just at, let's see if they are still there' -- and sure enough I rolled up in there and there was a truck there now, they saw me as I came running in but it was too late...

-2 Cars

I will drink from these tears all week.

quote:

Spawned on a road saw a guy in a blue t-shirt so I chased him... We literally ran a mile into some housing district. He hid by a dumpster and I went around the other way and punched him to death. A character with a gun and an axe ran in the face of my brutality.

Later I ran into a kid with a helmet and another gun 'Friendly! friendly!' we both said... When the zombies were attacking him I helped him bleed faster and earned a backpack, helmet, and a hunting rifle for my troubles.

On the way to our Anecdote rally point I saw a guy running by, long out of ammo, I chased him with my man blade (mittani machete). Like a dog I chased him to exhaustion and cut him down. "FUUUUuuuck YOU!" "thanks for the berries"

Later 3 dudes with helmets and shotguns found me in Pleasant vile. After gunning me down they told me to leave their server... I did not.

That evening I saw a jeep pull up and 2 people get out to kill a guy. I ran up with my man blade and started hacking the archer thinking I could parlay this act of heroism into a triple kill. With the archer down just this one rear end-hat with a gun. oh, 2 more guys in the jeep, both get out... The dude I joined the fight with hops in, drives off. Just me, the man blade, and 3 dudes with guns. Fortunately two of them shot at the car, letting me kill one before they realized I was still there.

Sowing chaos into this space has been a lot of fun.

We should warn you: some of the natives don’t like us much.

Let Me At'em, Coach!

You can grab the game on Steam for 20 bucks.

Here are some guides to get you started:

Surviving your First Five Minutes in H1Z1
30 Simple Tips for H1Z1
TheMittani.com H1Z1 Guides and News

Joining your Goony Goon Goon Brothers & Sisters in Arms

Don’t play solo. Here’s how to link up with thousands of your newest friends, plus get some in-game swag.

We use our website’s Mumble server for H1Z1 voicecomms as well as jabber. New players should check out the channel at the top of Mumble, AIDS1Z1, for handholding and direction.

Here's how to connect to TMC H1Z1 Mumble and Jabber!

We use this map to get around and coordinate attacks.

Our pseudo-uniform includes a custom camouflage shirt, custom machete, and no pants. I wasn’t kidding about that - we go pants-free to help identify our guys from the barbarian hordes in the middle of a scrap. You can get these item skins here.

Join our empire, fight with us, and share in our glorious victory as we mercilessly conquer another MMO - in our underwear.

UPDATE: Gameplay Tips and Tricks

What Happens When You Die: If you die and you are not looted (common if you die to zombies) withion 10m, you turn into a zombie that carries your loot. This means that if you see a zombie with a backpack, always, always, always kill it: it probably has a shitload of loot. If you die stupidly to zombies and want to get your stuff back, you can always go back and try to find your now zombified corpse.

What Are The Best Weapons: For melee: Wooden spear > Machete > Knife. Anything else is a temporary stopgap, or something you're going to use for other reasons. For guns: Shotgun/AR-15. If you get one of these, you can melt any other bullets you find into ammo for these at a 2:1 ratio. Hunting rifles/sniper rifles are situational, you'll know when they're useful.

What Stuff Should I Always Collect And Bring To Base:
Small stuff we always need more of: Twine, ammo, spark plugs, lighters, compasses, corn seeds, wheat seeds, and yeast starter. Twine lets you make frame backpacks. Spark plugs are one of the least common vehicle parts and let us get new vehicles or steal other people's. This stuff is small enough you should always be able to carry it. The seeds let us start a farm and make ethanol.

Medium size: If you can carry it, we always need more: Backpacks, scrap metal (we are always short on this for building), animal fats (for biofuel, don't convert till you're at the base because it expands in size). Empty bottles. Fertilizer (we make IEDs from this). If you are carrying charcoal, just immediately convert the fertilizer to gunpowder (charcoal + fertilizer, takes up much less space)

Large: Shotguns, vehicle parts, fire axes. If you have space, we can always use more axes or hatchets for our forest-leveling efforts as we continue to build our massive outposts. Fire axes though are particularly good for busting up pubbie shacks.

How Do Logouts Work: On a timer. Once the timer expires, you are safe - much like safelogs in EVE. It is probably best to keep stuff on you that you'll always need, so if our base was wrecked in the meantime you're not naked and useless.

Harvesting from Corpses: If you kill an animal you can collect fats and meat from it by hacking at the corpse with a bladed weapon. If you kill a zombie, you can collect cloth the same way. Always have a bladed weapon for gathering cloth off zombies and meat/fat off animals. You can carry a combat knife for this as they are small. You don't need to equip it until you need it. I usually drop my bow on the ground, skin animal, and put knife back in a pouch and pickup the bow. (thanks to Aryth). Also, some zombies drop ammo if you hack them up all the way - ammo is very valuable, so hack up any zombie corpse you find and pick up the ammo (thanks Laz).

Melee Zombies: If you have a combat knife or a machete you can 2 shot zombies in the head. Do not stand there in melee range, You run in (w) swing and immediately hit S to move back. The zombie will swing and miss. Rinse and repeat. Once you have the timing down on this you will end up preferring this over bows for large crowds of zombies as you aren't worried about windup time and can dodge fast. (thanks to Aryth).

Blackberry Juice/Bandages: Capacity management ends up being a huge part of your H1Z1 experience. Always make bandages and Blackberry juice to cut down on space used for the same nourisement/healing. Bandages take 2 cloth to craft and Berry Juice combines purified water and berries. It is best to just roll with 4 Juices and 5 Bandages. This plus a couple rabbit meats and you can go out for a long raid without worrying. (thanks to Aryth).

Dealing With The Login Bug: When you can't seem to login, try any of these. Some may not actually work, some may, it's sort of voodoo at this point but each of these have worked for people (thanks to Rydis)(:

1. Cancel the process in your task manager then try again
2. Cancel the process in your task manager, go log into another server, once you are on that one, log back out, then try our server again
3. Restart steam completely
4. Restart your pc
5. On Steam, right click H1Z1 on your games list, go to Properties and select Local Files and Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
6. When you press play, wait a little then spam esc, left click, esc while moving your mouse around
7. ALSO: closing steam after a crash or login screen bug, then relaunching after steam is closed works for a lot of people
8. Go to your game files-> Launchpad -> LaunchPad.Cache -> and delete the Default-folder, then validate your files via steam.
9. Spam all of the following keys at once: W,A,S,D, Space, Shift, for a little while.

IEDs: Anytime you create an IED, try to get it to the base. We will be collecting these for commanders: never take an IED in a base and use it. We should be storing these in commander shacks but if they're in another box, just let people know on jabber/mumble so they get moved. Don't take them from the base to play with.

Going prone: Something that bothered me in the beginning is the fact you sometimes can't go prone (probably some bug). I find that jumping then going prone works in 100% of cases. (thanks Sentinel)

HUD resources: Pressing 'F' opens up a windows in the bottom-right corner, which displays 'status' (hydration, energy, etc) and remains open. I find it useful to plan when I'll need to eat/etc. (thanks Sentinel)

Rabbit farming and rabbit stew: Build animal traps in the base, preferably next to the grill. They refill when unattended, and can easily supply lots of rabbit meat with zero effort. (I even saw pubbies complaining in a thread that this makes hunting for food obsolete since it's so easy and fast.) Combine cooked rabbit meat with salt and purified water (in the grill) for rabbit stew, which replenishes hydration and energy.

Coffee with sugar: Sugar seems fairly common, so a good use is to combine it with coffee, which can also be done without a grill (though making coffee does need a grill/campfire). It boosts the regained hydration slightly.

Going prone hides your name: I'm not 100% certain about this, but noticed this and was told this is normal; when prone, people close to you cannot see your name. If you're hiding in long grass or bushes, it could be an effective way to hide from people that are not meticulously looking for you.

Fixing cannot shoot/switch weapons bug: If you run into a situation where you can no longer attack or switch weapons, drop your current weapon and pick it up again. If it happens when you only have your fists out, :smithicide:

Fertilizer: more precious than anything else. Always pick it up because that's the limiting reagent for IEDs - all other parts to make IED are piss easy to get/make - but fertilizer is the one that's rare/hard to get. So where to get it from? 2 places are best: rubbish bins and the wooden crates on the back of convenience stores. You can use your fists to break them, they seem less buggy than the wooden crates in construction sites (construction site wooden crates don't have as much fertilizer in them, if any). IEDs are what lead to exploded pubbie bases.

Never carry more than you need: Enough ammo to fill a single magazone + a few rounds jingling in your pockets is all you need to fight most engagements in this game. I ran across a pubbie last night who had 30+ rounds of ammo + everything needed to get a car running and the kitchen sink. He lost it all. My general loadout is either a 1911 or sniper rifle + shotgun, and about 8-9 rounds of ammo each, 2-3 water and 2-3 food + bandages. I don't wander around with car parts, if I find a car I'll call back to base and have them bring the parts in force with another car while I jealously guard what I've found. Armed for bear guy was me, and that's what I had on me. None of it was irreplacable if you spend five minutes scavenging.

Cars are your best friends: I'd argue a police cruiser or a jeep are worth more than just about any other individual item, mainly because it makes getting those other items completely trivial. Running low on ammo? Pack 4 goons into a car and drop them off at a few housing developments. Running low on fuel? Go run over dear in a truck while another goon hacks up the bodies. Need lumber or scrap? Cars hold a lot of that. Send out a vehicle with a working party.

Sunk Cost Fallacy is a thing: So you went to the police station and one of you died and there's a horde of zombies. You want all the ammo he was carrying. You need all the ammo he was carrying. gently caress that ammo idiot. Every single time we've made a run on a city and someone died to a horde and we started doing the whole "We have to get his stuff back" poo poo we'd end up losing half the group. Get in the car and leave. We've got more stuff at base and continuing to gently caress around is just going to lose more stuff. I've watched this scenario play out 2-3 times where I'd be chanting "Lets just go." but the "Self elected party leader" aka guy driving either the main car or the other car insists that with just enough swooping around we can get those 8 rounds of .308 ammo. Please ignore the spark plugs/battery/20 rounds he picked up in the police station that he's risking every time he gets out of the car.

Worn Letters: Do not dump these, they lead to loot chests on the map, if you mouse over the letter, it tells you where to go, when you get there you drop the letter into the loot chest, close the window then reopen to find goodies. From the map there are currently 6 loot chest areas. Depending on where its telling you go on whether it is dangerous, I wouldn't recommend doing alone. What I got was an AR15 with 25 shots, 12 shotgun shells, some food, military backpack, compass and then got mauled by a bear on the way home.

Numismancer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Come play this stupid game with me. This game is like EvE in that it is extremely poo poo but also extremely fun. The amount of outrage people seem to generate when you kill them on a pvp server is amazing.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
That Reddit thread is hysterical. The last time I saw that many people blubbering about goons was when Wushu was a thing.

Goddamnit, now I might have to pick this up. :argh:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The potential for tears does not disappoint, and its actually really fun to play this game with goons and other cool TMC mumble denizens too.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I dropped :20bux: this weekend on this lovely and ugly game, and I have to say it is :20bux: well spent.

I was rummaging through dumpsters near the spawn when two shitlers in pants appeared so I've beaten both of them with my fists. Then I shot a zombie in the eye.

Later I got full TMC set (shirt, helmet and machettee) and promptly died at the gate of our base :negative:

Jeans
Jan 8, 2011
If you want a challenge, come join us on Brokenlands, because we're all ate up and if we take another crowbar to sally she might finally just break.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Bugs aside this game does not disappoint - saying its an amalgamation of DayZ, Minecraft, and EVE is an accurate summation.

veilo
Jul 17, 2010

Never posts
H1Z1 is raw, strange, fun, frustrating and wild.

It is exactly like the first time you have sex with someone from another race - so it's all strange. Except he/she is way more experienced, wild and you say you've done that sort of thing lots of times so he/she expects you to go at full blast from the start and you're just figuring out how to drop your trousers.

Doesn't go easy but then you clean up and you're like, whoa this is crazy.

Then you add a tonne of people and suddenly you're in a room full of asian men, they drop their trousers and you get the only chair in the room.

Another weird sexual thing that happened to me in h1z1 was yet another supercapital operation by famous eveline fleet commander DBRB (he FC's in h1z1 exactly like in eveonline, he says we'll have fun - pvp, but then we end up going somewhere boring and picking up some stuff for structures and then we go back home). This operation/raid is different however because we hit the base of these "super elite pvpers" (not even joking, they told us they have played for over 1000 hours and are the top pvp clan!). As always dbrb said that we'll hit their gates with axes for 5minutes, then 45min later the door barely shows any scratches.

So dbrb tells us to crouch in front of the gate and half the people start crouching making "unf" noises while the other half start climbing on their backs AND crouchign AND jump making "eeeeh" noises. It's a cross between human centipede and fat people orgy where you can't even make our the central she-whale because of all the cholesterolords mushing about. Somehow I manage to climb on top of this weird as gently caress pyramid and jump over the base walls!

I start rooting around their poo poo, find their explosives and blow up gate that was cockblocking us for over an hour at this stage gate, letting a whole swarm of dirty noobgoons into this previously pristine base, full of precious junk collected by these elite pvpers. We end up stealing all their poo poo in a few trips back and forth between our base and theirs.

Few hours later they show up our base and trash talk us about how good they are and how they have 6 other bases. We goonrush them with lovely bows and lovely pistols, there's like 3 of them and 20+ of us. Zerged to gently caress.

It's now 2 days later and they repair their base (lol @ "we have 6 other bases") and occasionally show up at our base to tell us how noob we are - then they get our noob jizz arrows all over their str8nohomopvp faces.

edit: I forgot the best part: during that raid, I lit some explosives to blow up a door inside the base, said on mumble, "fire in the hole, everyone clear out, you have 15 sec" then I see some noob run in and die in explosion ...then DBRB re-joins the channel and starts yelling about dying. Can't imagine a better operation.

veilo fucked around with this message at 12:14 on May 5, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Can't wait to get in on this. How much did smedley pay for all this promotion?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
This is a hell of a lot of fun. Playing by yourself sucks serious dingleberries, but playing with goons is a riot.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am one of those people who roll my eyes at non-EVE stuff being spammed via all-all in Goonfleet jabber while newbie fun roams are relegated to opt-all; I quit EVE Online in a bitter huff and disconnected from goonfleet services for a while; and, I have meticulously avoided the wave of survival sandbox games that have cropped up on Steam over the last couple of years. With all of these negative prejudices informing my perspective, I am still having a blast with this game.

Detractors and enemies hounding us from EVE Online will and undoubtedly already have labeled this as some kind of cash grab conspiracy in which Le Martini and his gamedev friend jack off into infinity-dollar signs while exploiting the brain-dead goonie minions, but honestly the idea of doing stuff with a community, working as part of a team, coming together to pursue a common goal, and hanging out online with a bunch of space friends and meeting (and killing) new people is amazingly fun. If you are a current or former EVE Online player with doubts about non-EVE games and cross-platform guilds, or if you are holding out on principle because the last spark of the True Flame of Goonieness must be preserved within your hardened soul, then consider not doing that and instead playing a buggy as gently caress zombie game with us.

My first ten minutes of this game involved stripping off my pants to make a bow with the shredded cloth and some sticks, stumbling across some random pubbie's makeshift shelter and standing nearly point-blank with him while we both ineffectually whiffed arrows at each other, running away from that person after I ran out of arrows and finding a machete in a trailer park shower, then returning to that guy's camp to murder him with HIS REGARDS. I spent the next couple of hours fumbling through a strip mall pulling spark plugs out of toilets and setting myself on fire while trying to purify water to make blackberry juice, impaled myself on the punji sticks we set up to defend our little loot shack and sprinted off a cliff to my death fleeing from zombies.

If you've ever played any of the SA minecraft PVP servers like Blockskriege or Keepcraft then this is right up your alley! As with any game like this, playing with goons is the best and only way to play.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
On the hatred server tonight, provided our new base is in good order by the time I got on and those mongos haven't blown up my cop car we are going to go do cop shenanigans. What are cop shenanigans you ask? Well there are cop cars in the game, and there are handcuffs in the game. You can handcuff other players. Do the math.

Planned shenanigans include: Building a small jail and stuffing people into it till they log out in frustration. Handcuffing people and dropping them into the middle of zombie infested cities. Shooting people in the head while yelling "HE'S GOT A GUN" then dropping a gun on his corpse so the commish won't fire us.

If they HAVE blown up our copcar I guess I'm just going to have to go get another one.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
If you like Rust you'll like this because it's Rust with better graphics and cars. And sneaking up behind deer and hacking them to death with a machete.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Bloodscorn has effective direction and a good base at f3 and brains has a start of a base at j4, the previous base bugging out and resulting in pubbies stealing their supplies. It's a raw alpha experience but unlike many such experiences fun as hell.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ill play with you guys tonight, i missed playing

calranthe
Jul 2, 2009
I spent three hours exploring and finally found our base with the required three wolves chasing me I noticed a fellow goon sprinting towards me with 25 zombies chasing him, we exchanged enemies he left with the wolves and I died quite soon afterwards with 25 happy zombies munching on my corpse.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
When the op started talking about eve online i realized i never want to play games with goons again

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I will ever really like EVE, but its the only big clique of goons I haven't really played with at this point, so that'll be fun

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How much money did TMC get for advertising this with bonuses on its website from Daybreak?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Man, this sounds like some awesome poo poo.

Been playing Arma 3 Epoch with some friends as of late, but we never do much. Crazy shenanigans would be a sweet change of pace.

Will probably take the dive into madness tonight/tomorrow.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Well, that was some short-lived excitement. Got hit by the bug where you can't launch the game from the launcher, even after many purported fixes (futzing with compatibility settings, admin privileges, verifying game file integrity, etc.) so I'm stuck with my dick in my hand until they can fix whatever this particular problem is.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this isn't Planetside :colbert:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

is this game fun with goons

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

oh phew for a moment there i thought it was going to be one of those really lovely games that goons only play because pubbies are retarded

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Control Volume posted:

oh phew for a moment there i thought it was going to be one of those really lovely games that goons only play because pubbies are retarded

Well, they are indeed retarded, but its also fun.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Control Volume posted:

its that too

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is this game similar to EVE in that you need to do boring work before any fun can take place?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pierson posted:

Is this game similar to EVE in that you need to do boring work before any fun can take place?

no not really

you can destroy your pants for cloth, harvest about 20 sticks, and be pretty deadly

demonsmaycry
Mar 30, 2015

PLS HELP ME!
This game with friends is a lot of fun. join join join :D

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pierson posted:

Most of the "Boring work" is collecting stuff from infested/resource starved areas that also attract pubbies to build up your base. It adds a certain level of drama to even the most mundane tasks. Many an ammo/wood/metal run has ended in a gunfight. Hell we've gone to the church to get a shotgun (lol) and ended up running into another car full of pubbies doing the same thing, had a shootout and came home with far much more than we had intended to.

EDIT: Last night on hatred we were building a new base and had setup a temporary hut to store our base building materials. This hut is about the same size as a small storage shed, you could fit a riding mower in one. About 10 of us were packed into this shed poking at our various containers while two of us were outside. Suddenly a 3 man group of pubbies ambushes our outside guys, queue goons streaming out of the hut like a clowncar with guns blazing and the pubbies freaking out and (Unsuccessfully) running away.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 5, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Pierson posted:

Not really. Basically, the first two minutes of the game for most players: You spawn with a shirt, pants, and a belt pouch with some odds and ends in it (gauze, a road flare, a map). You dismantle your shirt/pants, converting them to scraps of cloth. You use some of those scraps to make a satchel. You scavenge around you (forest, etc) for some wood sticks; you make a bow (1 stick + 1 scrap of cloth) and some makeshift arrows. You turn any leftover cloth into bandages.

You are now armed and dangerous. You'll probably die if you run into someone with body armor and an assault rifle... but a bow and arrow (and some practice at aiming it) is more than sufficient to kill zombies, some wildlife, and unarmed (or poorly armed) pubbies.

The "boring" part of it isn't really that boring -- it's going into nearby towns to raid the buildings for supplies. After all, you don't want to stick with bows and arrows forever, if possible. Towns have tons of poo poo, but they're also deathtraps, with tons of ELITEPVP pubbies trying to snipe you (or run you over with a car). So there's a pattern of "raid towns for a bit, build up supplies, get everyone good equipment, then go blow up some pubbie's base" that repeats every 2-3 hours. Occasionally, instead of blowing up a pubbie's base, you'll use the supplies to make the goon base ever larger and goonier.

It's reasonably fun, and there's parts of it that appeal to different people. i.e. I'll go along with boat on some illadvised raid of a pubbie base, but I'm also cool to build a bunch of traps and poo poo and boobytrap everything within a mile of our base. (In particular, my idea of fun lately is carpeting HUGE areas of the map with pungi sticks, which do minor damage to players and will flip any cars that try to drive over them.)

This is counteracted by the fact that the game is positively infested with hackers, and it's not uncommon for us to lose bases due to someone with a teleport script transporting into our base with explosives (or a fully gassed-up car). But that's funny too, in a way; it takes us only an hour or two to rebuild, and he gets VAC-banned.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

after a lot of careful consideration and weighing of viewpoints i have decided that i won't play this video game, thank you for your comments and suggestions, though

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

The "boring" part of it isn't really that boring -- it's going into nearby towns to raid the buildings for supplies. After all, you don't want to stick with bows and arrows forever, if possible. Towns have tons of poo poo, but they're also deathtraps, with tons of ELITEPVP pubbies trying to snipe you (or run you over with a car). So there's a pattern of "raid towns for a bit, build up supplies, get everyone good equipment, then go blow up some pubbie's base" that repeats every 2-3 hours. Occasionally, instead of blowing up a pubbie's base, you'll use the supplies to make the goon base ever larger and goonier.

Our servers gimmick is going to be this + copcar that way as we run around we can do keystone cops poo poo. I think we just swapped servers again soooo I guess I need to jack another cop car.

EDIT: I've killed a few people that went afk with my crap bow and arrow. I hide in bathrooms and bushes to go afk, not in the middle of fields.

SECOND EDIT: it should be noted that you don't actually have to do any of that bow poo poo. I usually just beeline to a landmark near a road and call for a pickup and some goons in a car/truck will come get me, then I can equip myself properly at base.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 5, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of equipping I have 5000 station cash from like fuckin' years ago when I played Planetside 2, is it worth getting an upgrade to the premium edition using it? I remember there was a huge uproar about airdrops and poo poo.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no it isnt

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yeah the upgrade seems not worth it.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Aw man, I would totally have been down with playing tonight but I got called in to work. Looking forward to playing with large groups of goons again soon, those first couple days when the game launched were so much fun.

huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
i am all the gently caress over this i bought this garbage on sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So how well does the game perform, being a Steam early-access product?

• Locked thread