Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Hi!

It's time for a new synthgoon challenge. This is when the goons from the synth thread use all their expensive hardware and software to do the unthinkable and make music.

If you are unfamiliar with SGC, please take some moments to peruse it's past triumphs:

There was OSCtober

https://soundcloud.com/wernotron/sets/osctober

There was the winter solstice holiday season thing

https://futureperfectchristmas.bandcamp.com/album/futureperfect-christmas-2014

and there was, of course, bonerjamz

https://synthgoons.bandcamp.com/album/boner-jamz

The theme for the current new synth goon challenge is Ebony and Ivory.
You see, it has recently come to the attention of people who never previously realized it that being a black man is a crime punishable by death in many parts of the USA. We need unity, now less so than in previous times, but we need it none the less. The only true path to unity is through synth. So, we are going to bust out our synths and create unity like the peaceful integration of black and white keys on their keyboards. More specifically, we're going to rip the gently caress off of traditionally black music genres. By mixing our (mostly, if not exclusively) white synth nerd sensibilities and technological prowess and progress with (mostly, if not exclusively) black music forms we will show the world that there can be peaceful coexistence and possibly interbreeding between different races, if not necessarily between civilians and police.

Some noted black created and dominated musical genres include:

Jazz
Spirituals
Blues
Rap
Reggae
Funk
Soul

Spirituals are a pretty good starting point. They're usually reasonably simple, powerfully beautiful and terribly sad. Doing a rendition of one would be both a valuable lesson in both composition and coming to understand the strength of a culture which, for hundreds of years, was so tormented by subjugation that it mostly sung songs about how much better things will be when you die.

This, BTW, is a wonderful book which you can get relatively cheaply or possibly free through your local library.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Negr...s=9780486402710

and is filled with a bunch of really pretty, sad songs.

Jazz is also pretty cool but I don't really know too much about it. Miles Davis was pretty rad, some people like Charlie Parker more I guess. Fats Waller was pretty good and he was named Fats, he was influenced by a guy named Jelly Roll. Which, I mean, this is all stuff goons can empathize with, heroin, fatness, desserts and the deep, unintentional absurdity that can only be found in things like Earth Defense Force and dudes named Fats following after dudes named Jelly Roll.

Deadline for submissions is July 4th. Let us celebrate our emergent independence from domestic negro genocide on the same day we celebrate casting off the shackles of British rule.
I'll eventually get around to making a bandcamp page to post the whole hot mess up on.
I will need a volunteer to do the mastering and a volunteer to make the artwork.

That is all. Get synthing.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 13:24 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Done stuff:

flippermaltliquor TROUBLES SO HARD

https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/billy-jean-troubles-so-hard

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 12, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nt07hdOsaE

Been looking forward to this!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looking forward to hear all y'alls beep boops and blip blops, but with soul.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Dammit.

Ok, I'm in. I will use :siren: the modular :siren: for something constructive.

Any rules about using, you know, actual guitars / basses and stuff too?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Is this a covers thing, or are originals in a certain style okay?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

sofullofhate posted:

Dammit.

Ok, I'm in. I will use :siren: the modular :siren: for something constructive.

Any rules about using, you know, actual guitars / basses and stuff too?

Process them through the modular and we will have no problems. Or sample them into a sampler beforehand. Or use them unsynthesizeried but use them sparingly and tastefully. This is, first and foremost, a synth based challenge.

Radiapathy posted:

Is this a covers thing, or are originals in a certain style okay?

It's an originals in some broad, vague synthy permutation of a style thing. I suggest doing a spiritual as a warmup because everyone should do it. It's fun and good practice., but it is by no means the end all be all of the synth goon challenge.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Blues and spirituals are kinda my groove, and so are synths. Might have to :getin:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

My reaction.

Is using the new Vox V and Wurlitzer V from Arturia considered cheating? :shepface:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

My reaction.

Is using the new Vox V and Wurlitzer V from Arturia considered cheating? :shepface:

No, physical modeling is a totally legit means of synthesis.

The only thing I think I'm going to ban outright is nerdcore rap.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Already been loving around with something today. I feel like it's skirting the spirit of the rules again and also particularly lazy, but it might be a fun plan B. Hope to find some more ambitious plan A along the way.

Anyway, doing stuff :feelsgood:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Trying to up my funk game, I just did this little thing:
http://tindeck.com/listen/fjxqy I'm sure you recognize what I stole the chords and such from. (It actually lines up pretty well with the acapella I think :ohdear: )

I'm also working on this abomination that started out as blues and took a turn for the scree-wub-wub. Figured I might as well post what I'm working on considering my excellent track record of never finishing anything :downs:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I got a little bit of stuff startin' to cook too. Gameboy rendition of Death Ain't Nothin' But A Robber and a PMA-5 rendition of Ain't Gonna Study War No More (Down By The River). Dunno if I'm gonna get any original stuff finished, having problems with muse inertia.

Hey, there we go. Got this much done in one day.

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/death-aint-nothin-but-a-robber-skeleton

Sizone fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 11, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

I'm also working on this abomination that started out as blues and took a turn for the scree-wub-wub. Figured I might as well post what I'm working on considering my excellent track record of never finishing anything :downs:

Drop the amplitude modulation/leslie track or push it waaaaaaaaaaay into the background. It's dubstepping your poo poo all up.

e: also swing, add swing

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Would a blues/hip-hop song fit with the theme? I have an idea but I want to make the drums, bassline, and samples sound stylistically similar to old BDP style boom-bap.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
duh, yeah. just don't rap about video games or star wars or other nerd poo poo on top of it.

Also, get crackin', fools. That deadline's already almost halfway here.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Still need to record the tracks separately, do some mixin' and eqin' and add vocals but it is basically done.

Death Ain't Nothing but a Robber

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/death-aint-nothin-but-a-robber-flesh

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
Here's my attempt at electronic jazz

Some CC would be nice.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Bass is o.k.. I would find a different patch for the main melodic line and probably drop the drums entirely. Also, it's too simple. Don't forget that jazz is, like, 9/10ths about musical masturbation and chest beating, showing you can play faster and more intricate than anyone else. A good way to fake that might be to take your melody line ans switch it between different patches for alternating bars. It's also painfully clean, do what ever you can to dirty it up some, maybe try some heroin.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013

Sizone posted:

Bass is o.k.. I would find a different patch for the main melodic line and probably drop the drums entirely. Also, it's too simple. Don't forget that jazz is, like, 9/10ths about musical masturbation and chest beating, showing you can play faster and more intricate than anyone else. A good way to fake that might be to take your melody line ans switch it between different patches for alternating bars. It's also painfully clean, do what ever you can to dirty it up some, maybe try some heroin.

Thanks, will try (maybe except for the heroin).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
This is what I've got so far. Just took my guitar to get fixed because it has been horribly screwy lately so I can't really make any real progress until I get it back. The guitar solo was like my second take so it's not the best.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/ivory-break-mark-2/s-IuGQT

Tell me what you think and also that I need more synths.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

TZer0 posted:

Here's my attempt at electronic jazz

Some CC would be nice.
It feels very rigidly quantized. It would work better, even as it is otherwise, with a bit of humanizing and the proper swing this needs. I recommend reading The Midi Files by Rob Young if you want to delve into the subject. It's an old book; you can pick up the first edition for a couple of bucks on Amazon.

64bit_Dophins posted:

This is what I've got so far. Just took my guitar to get fixed because it has been horribly screwy lately so I can't really make any real progress until I get it back. The guitar solo was like my second take so it's not the best.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/ivory-break-mark-2/s-IuGQT

Tell me what you think and also that I need more synths.
Love it as an intro to something. Really saddened that it ends where it does, idling, instead of getting into gear. Also, buy more synths, you know it's the right thing to do.

My efforts basically have been stalled by an impromptu bathroom renovation. I'm hoping to squeeze out something in the second half of this month. My workflow doesn't lend itself to revisiting stuff over longer periods of time anyway. Gotta make something start to end in three days or it'll never get finished.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Sizone posted:

... white synth nerd sensibilities and technological prowess and progress with (mostly, if not exclusively) black music forms ...

racist as gently caress

i might join you crackers. time will tell

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

Love it as an intro to something. Really saddened that it ends where it does, idling, instead of getting into gear. Also, buy more synths, you know it's the right thing to do.

I'm not even close to done, but I'm a little bit stuck on it. Where do you think I should go with it? More chord changes? More Synths? I really like what I have so far (as a start) but I'm probably going to start working on another song tomorrow and see if I can make anything more interesting.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 5, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

I'm not even close to done, but I'm a little bit stuck on it. Where do you think I should go with it? More chord changes? More Synths? I really like what I have so far (as a start) but I'm probably going to start working on another song tomorrow and see if I can make anything more interesting.
I was thinking leave what is as is, because it's really good, just cram a section in at the end where you switch from the relaxed feel to something with a bit more drive. Have a steadily, briskly pulsing bass and build around that. Maybe work with the drums to feel as if you've doubled the tempo (without actually doing that). And/or switch up the chords. Bonus points if you can keep the same weeping synth lead overarching it all. Something like that. I don't have the terminology. But something that complements it and contrasts with it like a chorus section would. Hell, even momentarily switching it up from guitar driven to all electro synths doing the exact same things could work. At the moment I'm left with a certain tension that is never resolved. It's not that it lacks interest; I'm interested enough to feel blue balled.

It's also fine as it is. This can be your entry and I'll say "Nice!" I just think there's an opportunity to try to take it to another level.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

64bit_Dophins posted:

More length, same level of complexity. Just loving play, man. You can take 5-8 minutes worth of music and wittle it down to a nice tight 3 minutes track. Play and explore, you'll find your intro, verse chorus and outro and whatever. Regarding synths, switch up the patches. Wormy portamento synth is fine for a few bars, but then bring in some horn stabs or something, like what you did with the e piano towards the end. A good thing to shoot for is not having more than 4 things going on at one time, but those 4 things don't always have to be the same thing. Don't forget that you can use the lower range as a repository for harmony and melody as well. USE THE BASS.

I think, probably, what you really need is to learn to use a DAW so you can get non linear with stuff. Usually how I approach things (which is the wrong way because I'm a talentless sequencer person) is to sequence up, say, 6 or 7 sections, record all the tracks onto separate tracks in reaper and then mix and match. Some lines and beats end up sounding a lot better with stuff they weren't written with. USE THE BASS.

Along the DAW lines, once it's back, try and get some more tone out of your guitar, with enough effects it can be practically synthlike. Delay and ring modulation. USE THE BASS.

I hate to recommend that people listen to reggae, but Bob Marley is a loving master of pop music orchestration. Listen to, like, could you be loved, if you need a hint as far as what goes where to make a track sound just super full and lively. USE THE BASS.

Don't forget that the guitar can take a breather for a few bars now and again too.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 5, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Reminder

WE STILL NEED A VOLUNTEER TO DO THE MASTERING

and the artwork

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just might give this a shot, or is it too late?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Submission deadline is July 4th. As is clearly stated in the the OP. That may have to get pushed back some due to creative inertia. Of course, whom so ever volunteers to do the mastering (hint) can make the deadline what ever they want.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Flipperwaldt posted:

I was thinking leave what is as is, because it's really good, just cram a section in at the end where you switch from the relaxed feel to something with a bit more drive. Have a steadily, briskly pulsing bass and build around that. Maybe work with the drums to feel as if you've doubled the tempo (without actually doing that). And/or switch up the chords. Bonus points if you can keep the same weeping synth lead overarching it all. Something like that. I don't have the terminology. But something that complements it and contrasts with it like a chorus section would. Hell, even momentarily switching it up from guitar driven to all electro synths doing the exact same things could work. At the moment I'm left with a certain tension that is never resolved. It's not that it lacks interest; I'm interested enough to feel blue balled.

It's also fine as it is. This can be your entry and I'll say "Nice!" I just think there's an opportunity to try to take it to another level.

Sizone posted:

More length, same level of complexity. Just loving play, man. You can take 5-8 minutes worth of music and wittle it down to a nice tight 3 minutes track. Play and explore, you'll find your intro, verse chorus and outro and whatever. Regarding synths, switch up the patches. Wormy portamento synth is fine for a few bars, but then bring in some horn stabs or something, like what you did with the e piano towards the end. A good thing to shoot for is not having more than 4 things going on at one time, but those 4 things don't always have to be the same thing. Don't forget that you can use the lower range as a repository for harmony and melody as well. USE THE BASS.

I think, probably, what you really need is to learn to use a DAW so you can get non linear with stuff. Usually how I approach things (which is the wrong way because I'm a talentless sequencer person) is to sequence up, say, 6 or 7 sections, record all the tracks onto separate tracks in reaper and then mix and match. Some lines and beats end up sounding a lot better with stuff they weren't written with. USE THE BASS.

Along the DAW lines, once it's back, try and get some more tone out of your guitar, with enough effects it can be practically synthlike. Delay and ring modulation. USE THE BASS.

I hate to recommend that people listen to reggae, but Bob Marley is a loving master of pop music orchestration. Listen to, like, could you be loved, if you need a hint as far as what goes where to make a track sound just super full and lively. USE THE BASS.

Don't forget that the guitar can take a breather for a few bars now and again too.

Ok so I took your advice (I think). It's still far from done, but I made the second part of the song part dub Reggie part 'slowed down dnb'. The very end of the tune goes back to the first guitar riff thing and I'm not sure I like it that much but I thought of it as the start of an outro type thing.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/blues-break-sa-comp-album-mark-4/s-8BArg

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

64bit_Dophins posted:

Ok so I took your advice (I think). It's still far from done, but I made the second part of the song part dub Reggie part 'slowed down dnb'. The very end of the tune goes back to the first guitar riff thing and I'm not sure I like it that much but I thought of it as the start of an outro type thing.

https://soundcloud.com/dolphinblunts/blues-break-sa-comp-album-mark-4/s-8BArg
It's exactly the thing that was needed. A very natural transition too. I like it.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Because I hate you fuckers you get to hear me sing, with a cold!

https://soundcloud.com/rid_labs/death-aint-nothing-but-a-robber-penultimate

death ain't nothing but a robber
don't you see?

death came to my house
he didn't stay long
I looked in the bed and my father was gone

death came to my house
he didn't stay long
I looked in the bed and my mother was gone

death came to my house
he didn't stay long
I looked in the mirror and my heart was gone

death ain't nothing but a robber
don't you see

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Because I hate you fuckers you get to hear me sing
Ditto! Went with the same theme lyrically, even.

EDIT: New link with updated version (since I removed the old one): https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/billie-jeantrouble-so-hard

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jun 18, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
We are soooo soulfull.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

We are soooo soulfull.
My rear end may be as white as the driven snow, but my soul is as black as Uncle Tom's.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Argh, apparently I messed up both song titles. The spiritual is called Trouble So Hard originally, not Troubles. And MJ released Billie Jean, not Billy Jean :cripes:

Also, listening to it on different speakers, I'm wondering if it all didn't come out a bit... muffled? I don't know. It would be the first real evidence I'd see of my Yamaha monitors indeed being brighter than average.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Flipperwaldt posted:

Argh, apparently I messed up both song titles. The spiritual is called Trouble So Hard originally, not Troubles. And MJ released Billie Jean, not Billy Jean :cripes:

Also, listening to it on different speakers, I'm wondering if it all didn't come out a bit... muffled? I don't know. It would be the first real evidence I'd see of my Yamaha monitors indeed being brighter than average.

Sounded fine to me on headphones. Wife always made me skip your tracks on bonerjamz when we were in the car because the bass made her motion sick, so maybe keep that in mind too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Wife always made me skip your tracks on bonerjamz when we were in the car because the bass made her motion sick, so maybe keep that in mind too.
Huh. That's troubling. I've got to look into that. I think a combo of filtering out an excess of energy below 50Hz and multi band compression might sanitize it a bit without losing too much of what I want it to sound like.

Obviously those 5" woofers don't do the 25Hz rumble in the way a subwoofer could, so I'll have to dig up the spectum analyzer to see what's really going on.

Thanks man, I think that's going to be a significant heads up.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Your poo poo's too punchy for the wife. That is all that is going on. There is no greater mystery or depth or need for scientific evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Sizone posted:

Your poo poo's too punchy for the wife. That is all that is going on. There is no greater mystery or depth or need for scientific evaluation.
Dude. Dude! No.

One of the two rips away in audible distortion if I only try to push it up 1-2dB with a limiter.

The other allows me to comfortably bring it 9dB up and still stays within K-12 after that (which I consider conservative for electronic music). With complete impunity. I lose nothing of the intended impact, even at the same level.

My bonerjamz tracks have a similar problem. That was definitely worth investigating. I'm very fond of my artistic freedom to do whatever in an audio file, but I like to stay away from things that are or border on technical problems.

EDIT: I re-uploaded what I think is a better version, but due to the change in the title's spelling, the url has changed as well. New: https://soundcloud.com/flipperwaldt/billie-jeantrouble-so-hard

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 18, 2015

• Locked thread