Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

30.5 Days posted:

So we made this:

More pages unlock as you get your hands on different materials. So gathering copper teaches you about tin, gathering prometheum teaches you about ourclase, etc.

Hopefully blightfall will now make a little bit more sense.

Very nice; excited about the modpack update as well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

30.5 Days posted:

So we made this:
Do you have a some kind of quest book where you can embed images? I could make some serious use of that for Baby's First Space Race, because I've felt like it's always needed pictures.

Unfortunately, it probably means rewriting the entire quest book if you do. :(

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you have a some kind of quest book where you can embed images? I could make some serious use of that for Baby's First Space Race, because I've felt like it's always needed pictures.

Unfortunately, it probably means rewriting the entire quest book if you do. :(

Naw, this is the tcon book system from the Mantle coremod, and talonos has written some custom page handlers for it. HQM is too broke to be able to safely extend.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Sometimes I get the urge to sperg. How's Terra Firma Craft, in terms of bugginess/playability? Assuming that I think the whole idea of an extended stone age and survival mechanics interesting.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Nolanar posted:

Sometimes I get the urge to sperg. How's Terra Firma Craft, in terms of bugginess/playability? Assuming that I think the whole idea of an extended stone age and survival mechanics interesting.

TFC is pretty much excellent, although you will need to look up some mechanics.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
TFC is the mod that got me into modded minecraft. It has always been totally perfect at what it's trying to do, even though what it's trying to do it pretty spergy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Once I found a starting location with the extraordinarily overpowered combo of "fresh water" and "more than one tree," TFC started to be really fun! Hopefully I'll be able to get some metal soon and start really cracking things out.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!
I liked what I saw of Blightfall a month or 2 ago, and am really looking forward to the big update. It kind of has the claustrophobic feel of the skyblock maps without the (in my opinion, boring) risk of items falling into the void. One thing that I thought could have been made more clear is that you can get rare items from some of the little reward bags. When I saw the sapling bag I just assumed it would have oak saplings, and maybe dark oak or birch ones until I saw someone in the thread mention you could get some of the nether saplings from it.

Also I just accidentally came across Tekkit Classic Reborn and had a good laugh.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So a while back I set up a Baby's First Space Race world for my cousin and one of his friends (they are 10 and 12) and they're absolutely loving it. Some of the more technical mods are harder for them to use though but they've managed to use the smelter I set up for them and learned how to create steel and even made a builders wand a few days ago but otherwise they've just been stockpiling resources with no real goal in mind. I'm planning to set up a passive big reactor and a machine network for automated storage and sorting of various items they can pull from but I'd also like to guide them along the path of space exploration, since that's kind of the point of the mod.

Any tips for what I could build that would be useful for them? I was thinking I'd at least set up some sort of automated fuel refinery process that can work mostly independently as well as a farm with biofuel generation for jetpacks (they still haven't managed jetpacks). I've never really gotten into tech mods much since I've most enjoyed Thaumcraft themed modpacks so I'm a bit at a loss where to go with it.

Edit: Oh and because their world is hosted locally and they play through a LAN connection when one of them visits the other, (they live quite far apart) I'd like to set up a VPN for them to use so they can still play it together online. Would I be able to do that with something simple like LAN Bridger?

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 3, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
some Thaumcraft addon put giant death portal biomes in my game and I can't figure out which one it was.

this killed me instantly O_O

How do I disable this.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Nolanar posted:

Once I found a starting location with the extraordinarily overpowered combo of "fresh water" and "more than one tree," TFC started to be really fun! Hopefully I'll be able to get some metal soon and start really cracking things out.

I really enjoy that I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried TFC for 30 minutes and got my rear end handed to me. So do I have to make my hut out of two layers of thatch or something? The zombies just came waltzing through. Also, it was nice to get some onions, but they all just broke into seeds. Is that right?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I tried the OMP TFC package and it was scary and alien. I think I'll stick to better things.

Edit: Thatch lets zombies walk through it but it also blocks line of sight, so if you hide in your thatch hut before the zombies spawn they won't find you.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

My skyblock save just died because I didn't properly filter sacred rubber trees from the treefarm. Learn from my mistake friends. (I could probably fix it via mcedit, but w/e I'll start fresh anyways).

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Echophonic posted:

I really enjoy that I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. :allears:

50/50! TFC is a cool idea and really comes together if the world gen cooperates, but most of the time I'll spawn on an island with no fresh water, or next to a freshwater lake in the middle of a treeless wasteland. It's weird.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've done 3 restarts so far, and each one started on the coast of some ocean. I guess I can liken it to being marooned or something. However, it was kind of odd how that happened every time. I understand it with ATG; there's a lot of ocean there, but I don't get the TFC terrain gen.

I figured out what I really wanted to do was just lay out tons of logs. Night time is really boring in the beginning though. I can only play this in small bursts.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So you know how people always bitch that Mojang should just rewrite Minecraft in another language? They just announced Minecraft: Windows 10 Beta Edition which is an updated and ported version of the MCPE version that runs on C++ and uses DX11 instead of GLES.

I think this version is being maintained by the MCPE and Console devs since this versions is what will be what is run on Windows/Mac/Windows Phone/iOS/Andrioid/Xbox360/XBone/PS3/PS4/PSVita and will be the platform that MS was talking about for XBox Live integration shortly after they bought Mojang. They are also apparently boasting about player feedback via an in-game feedback mechanism, but I'll believe that when I see it.

The Java version will still be worked on via the main dev team and will continue to work in the Windows 10 environment, people who own the Java PC version will get the Windows 10 Beta version for free, otherwise its ten bucks. Tommo, the MCPE main dev, states that there are no plans for mod integration and support for now, so don't expect a modding API if they don't have something in mind from the beginning.

Honestly I feel this is a bit silly, but I guess having a platform that has a standardization of content between versions is nice and I guess this means Tommo will be getting better support which is good since he has kicked back a few improvements to the PC editions code to Jeb.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm glad it isn't using that piece of poo poo Java garbage...

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech
So just as a heads up, I finally defended the other week and while I still have things going on, I made sure to take the time to gather up all the fixes and features and release some new versions.

So, lots of new things still in development, but the new elementals/fluids/etc are available, as well as the FluiVac and Flux Transfuser. Fun times.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Enzer posted:

So you know how people always bitch that Mojang should just rewrite Minecraft in another language? They just announced Minecraft: Windows 10 Beta Edition which is an updated and ported version of the MCPE version that runs on C++ and uses DX11 instead of GLES.

I think this version is being maintained by the MCPE and Console devs since this versions is what will be what is run on Windows/Mac/Windows Phone/iOS/Andrioid/Xbox360/XBone/PS3/PS4/PSVita and will be the platform that MS was talking about for XBox Live integration shortly after they bought Mojang. They are also apparently boasting about player feedback via an in-game feedback mechanism, but I'll believe that when I see it.

The Java version will still be worked on via the main dev team and will continue to work in the Windows 10 environment, people who own the Java PC version will get the Windows 10 Beta version for free, otherwise its ten bucks. Tommo, the MCPE main dev, states that there are no plans for mod integration and support for now, so don't expect a modding API if they don't have something in mind from the beginning.

Honestly I feel this is a bit silly, but I guess having a platform that has a standardization of content between versions is nice and I guess this means Tommo will be getting better support which is good since he has kicked back a few improvements to the PC editions code to Jeb.

Anything to get people on that sweet, sweet ecosystem. Gotta prop up the Bone as it droops lower and lower.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enzer posted:

No modding is really dumb.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Reason posted:

I can kind of see why the dev is being hesitant to talk about modding. I completely agree that no modding is a dumb idea, but there are several factors the dev has to take into account: 1) Tommo is being told (by I assume MS) to make this version feature parity across all platforms, if Block A or Mob B or feature C goes into Windows 10 version, it has to go into the tablet, smartphone and console version, so if they follow through on modding on one platform, all platforms have to have it in order to keep parity and some of the markets that it will be sold on will not allow for modding. 2) Because it is written in C++ it is much much harder to reverse engineer the code so the likelihood of something like Forge popping up is incredibly small meaning that Tommo would have to create a functional API and the likelihood that it will contain a fraction of what modders need or want is also very small and I can see him seeing it as an issue where more and more time is taking away from developing the game (because one of the big selling features is an in-game mechanic to submit ideas and improvements to the game so that the game is constantly moving forward with community suggestions) and adding niche components to the API.

As a reminder, this isn't yet another iteration of MC that has been written from scratch, it is literally the MC Pocket Edition code (hence why Tommo is lead dev on this version) that is being pushed to become feature parity with the PC Java version and then probably go on to do its own thing. I mean, there are some major differences between Windows 10 version and the Java versions outside the language it is written in such as the fact that multiplayer is currently limited to seven players ir order for it to work across multiple platforms. This isn't being marketed as Minecraft 2 or even the new standard for Minecraft, but rather the "cross platform" version.

MS and Mojang seem completely fine letting the Java version continue on because they know that not everyone is going to want to switch to the Windows 10 version, they know that modding is probably never going to come to the Windows 10 version and they know that they don't want to piss off the community at large, so instead of doing something dumb and stating that MC 1.9 is the last Java version of MC and then the next version is the Windows 10 version, they are just merging all the side MC products into one.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
MrTJP is implementing a unique power system into Project Red. It's basically identical to blutricity, complete with its own blue totally-not-redstone, electrotine.

It truly is nostalgic; there's only a solar panel, simple generator, a battery box, a proof-of-concept furnace that isn't worth the effort, and promises of things to come.

After trying it out, all I can take from it is that blutricity should have stayed dead.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

So just as a heads up, I finally defended the other week and while I still have things going on, I made sure to take the time to gather up all the fixes and features and release some new versions.

So, lots of new things still in development, but the new elementals/fluids/etc are available, as well as the FluiVac and Flux Transfuser. Fun times.

If only I'd had the FluiVac last week... Ah, well.

Congrats, by the way. I saw that you'd finished with that recently via Twitter. Got your doctorate now?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

only botania and vanilla redstone allowed

i might just try it, but the only problem is how the heck do I get oak leaves for the rune of autumn

the bore lens doesn't break leaves

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Fortis posted:

MrTJP is implementing a unique power system into Project Red. It's basically identical to blutricity, complete with its own blue totally-not-redstone, electrotine.

It truly is nostalgic; there's only a solar panel, simple generator, a battery box, a proof-of-concept furnace that isn't worth the effort, and promises of things to come.

After trying it out, all I can take from it is that blutricity should have stayed dead.
Truly the most faithful recreation possible, then.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Serifina posted:

If only I'd had the FluiVac last week... Ah, well.

Congrats, by the way. I saw that you'd finished with that recently via Twitter. Got your doctorate now?

I won't officially have it until August, but thanks. :) Still have a couple of small things to wrap on the paper, but it's pretty good for the most part.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Good grief... FTB Departed is an extremely annoying modpack. Grindy as hell, super lovely hunger mechanics, terrible monster spam, etc etc.

Having to eat 2 slices of bread, a monster jerky and 3 pieces of fruit because you jumped twice SUCKSSSSSSS holy poo poo, who came up with that bullshit?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How is this copper thing supposed to work in TFC? I blew two day cycles trying to pan, and two more trying to find some in the four cardinal directions. No dice. I got iron, and just enough copper from panning to make a saw. So I am glad I could make a door, but I was hoping for a pick.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I think im just going to give up on blightfall. I was all hyped up to start crafting junk, but the whole suction thing in pipes and having to run around like an idiot manipulating valves if I want to keep my racks of jars is just too dumb for me.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How is this copper thing supposed to work in TFC? I blew two day cycles trying to pan, and two more trying to find some in the four cardinal directions. No dice. I got iron, and just enough copper from panning to make a saw. So I am glad I could make a door, but I was hoping for a pick.

You mean like, how to GET copper? It's really the big frustating bit at the start. Just mark where you find the various ore nuggets on the surface and poke around hill cuts and all that for the textures. You can sort of cheese it if you have the right ratios to make bronze and cast them that way. Once you have enough of for one pick head (and maybe a prospectors pick), you can just burn stone shovels to clear junk to stone and fiddle with locating ore pockets. Generally copper stuff will be readily available on/near the surface iirc, malachite sort of junks out when its mixed in with red colored stones etc.

I'm not sure if the weirdness of the sluice and pan shutting down ore gathering after x about of sand processing is still in or not. You might just have to travel near and far looking for ore, but you can gather up other stuff while you're out and about. Or mark nugget locations of other stuff.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So, Isn't magic farm 3 supposed to have quests? I don't start with a questbook and /hqm quest just returns "unknown command"

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Have you found any small copper on the ground amongst rocks? Tetrahedrite and malachite are copper-bearing ores.

I like to set a waypoint with a minimap mod any time I find a cluster of ore pebbles on the ground, because they always betray a cluster or vein underground. When you have a saw, pick, and prospector's pick, you can come back and mine it out.

e: gold pans are kind of a crapshoot, they are basically a last-ditch option if you can't find enough pebbles on the ground to grunt out the three basic tools

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Man TFC doesn't sound fun. "Scramble in the mud for pebbles of rock" is the least interesting part of minecraft.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Anias posted:

Man TFC doesn't sound fun. "Scramble in the mud for pebbles of rock" is the least interesting part of minecraft.

Yeah this has been bad luck. On the first two seeds, I found an overabundance of gold and copper ores on the surface. However, I bungled the first nights with both and set myself up to just die a lot.

On this third seed, I got set up, but all I find for rocks gave to do with iron, which is at least one tier up beyond copper. So to those making suggestions, I was following the Wiki and did not find those alternate names for copper laying around, just iron.

Panning is kind of like sifting in a skyblock. It was novel for the first minute, but that is it. I guess I will surface hunt a little more before I cheat some in or something.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

if you do need to pan, remember that it checks overworked-ness by chunk, so if you overwork an area, walk at most 16 blocks in one direction and try again

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Anias posted:

TFC is just a totally different take on MC and it's fun in certain doses. It's definitely not the same style of play that most modpacks do though, and that's fine.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also if you are finding a lot of iron around you are probably in a sedentary top layer, which is absolute balls for the early game due to its nearly nonexistent copper content (though pick up some flux bearing stone like limestone or chalk if you find that so you can start making leather and poo poo)

i like http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Ores_&_Minerals for figuring out what kind of metals are generally going to be in a given top layer

if you can hoof it to a metamorphic or igneous extrusive top layer then you will have a much better time of it

in the early tfc game I usually just keep exploring until I find clay, flux, fresh water, and enough copper and maybe bronze ingredients to make all four tools (chisel, pick, propick, saw) at once

also taming a horse is absolutely worth it

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Synnr posted:

I think im just going to give up on blightfall. I was all hyped up to start crafting junk, but the whole suction thing in pipes and having to run around like an idiot manipulating valves if I want to keep my racks of jars is just too dumb for me.

You are supposed to use an alchemy golem to automate the arcane furnace and jars. Or just crystallize all the essences for later.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Glory of Arioch posted:

also if you are finding a lot of iron around you are probably in a sedentary top layer, which is absolute balls for the early game due to its nearly nonexistent copper content (though pick up some flux bearing stone like limestone or chalk if you find that so you can start making leather and poo poo)

i like http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Ores_&_Minerals for figuring out what kind of metals are generally going to be in a given top layer

if you can hoof it to a metamorphic or igneous extrusive top layer then you will have a much better time of it

in the early tfc game I usually just keep exploring until I find clay, flux, fresh water, and enough copper and maybe bronze ingredients to make all four tools (chisel, pick, propick, saw) at once

also taming a horse is absolutely worth it

After traveling around for a few kilometers, I figured out I have spawned in Sedimentary Hell. I just cheated in a little bit of copper to make the kit and started digging down. Naturally, I found a huge coal vein under my cabin. I then punched into an igneous extrusive layer. Can I now expect to run into something more interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Reason posted:

True, without mods i will not be playing....